SC2 HD

If I were Namco, I would release SB and SC1-2-3 all in HD as DLC for SCV.
In that manner you force everyone to buy SCV (meaning more money and no resale = marketing win) and use it as a hub (sort of) to play them in order to make it like a compendium of all the chapters of the saga (and using his online engine, maybe unlocking some old stuff adapted for SCV CAS, etc.).
After some months I would release every chapters as single DLCs anyway (so that if you want a specific character you could avoid the others).

Is SC on the PS2 not good enough?
My PS2 is slowly but surely dying, and my SC2 disc isn't exactly in mint condition anymore :p. Those two combined means I have to restart my PS2 somewhere between 5-10 times before the game manages to start up properly.

Also, I think it's more convenient when I can play my games with a single console, and SC2 will undoubtly look better in 1080p 60fps with absolutely no slowdowns :p.

@mirage: Getting off topic a bit, but you can fix the infamous PS2 disc read error with a screwdriver and a napkin. No it's not MacGuyver, it's just opening the case and wiping off the lens. Dust eventually gets on it no matter how much effort you put into keeping it clean, and that causes issues with reading discs.

More on-topic, were the guest characters really that big of a deal in SCII? I thought they were a nice novelty, but nothing compared to the core gameplay. I can't imagine a rerelease of it really being hurt by the lack of guest characters.

EDIT: That, and the movesets were much more intricate in II. I swear SC, III, and IV(excluding Ivy) seemed to have much more shallow movesets in comparison...And the soul charge. And dammit, I've allowed myself to be overcome with nostalgia now T.T

Nightmare_by_shamesart.jpg

some one found this^ would be so cool @_@

@mirage: Getting off topic a bit, but you can fix the infamous PS2 disc read error with a screwdriver and a napkin. No it's not MacGuyver, it's just opening the case and wiping off the lens. Dust eventually gets on it no matter how much effort you put into keeping it clean, and that causes issues with reading discs
I've cleaned the lens a few times already, I'm pretty sure it's something else now. It is over 10 years old, after all. :p

I just went and bought a new PS2 to play SC2 and SC3 on a few months ago. Better than waiting for Namco to port the game to another console. Plus I love SC3, so I couldn't go without playing it.

And I don't have a problem with porting SC2 to a modern console, I just don't see it happening due to the licensing of the guest characters/Necrid. And if there's no online multiplayer or Link to play, most won't care about it or stop playing after a week of mashing buttons, or stop playing after getting beat by someone better.

Plus most people don't go back to playing older 3D games and rather play a new game.

Thankfully, SC3 works without problems for me. I've got a modded PS2 so I run the game from a HDD (no dvd-drive wear, and loading times are really short :)). However, I can't make SC2 work when trying to boot it from HDD, just get a blank screen.

That's also the reason why I don't want to replace my PS2. You can't put a hdd in those models, and if I connect one via USB, i still only get USB v1.1, which is pretty slow. Also, I don't have a soldering gun so I couldn't move the modchip over anyway :p.

Of course, all my PS2 soul calibur games are still legally bought.

Of SC II and SC III, I can see III being made sometime . SC II works on the new consoles if you have backwards compatible systems while the game never changed significantly.

SC III can work as well, but they made changes in the AE version of SC III and console did not get them period. If they released a SC III HD that included the arcade changes on psn/live, that would be worth the ~$10 for it IMO.

If you've got a PC with a powerful CPU, one solution would be to use a gamecube emulator to play SC2. That way you'll end up with graphics probably better than an official port as it's unlikely they'd improve the assets. No online play this way though. (edit: actually, the emulator does support netplay now)

dolphin 2012-01-28 13-45-31-48.jpg
dolphin 2012-01-28 13-45-21-48.jpg

Who wants to buy a fighting game with no multiplayer? This is why SC1 on the X360 doesn't get noticed.

SC2 HD sounds good on paper, but when you realize that you don't have anyone else to play it with since you have to put forth an effort to find people to play it with, it will lose its luster. And if you would put forth that effort, then you could just find a copy for $5 and play it on the Wii or X360 which both have backwards compatibility, on for the PS3 if you still have a system that has backwards compatibility.
I bought SC1 the second I heard it was on XBL.

I have all three console versions, NTSC-U/J and a Ver. D arcade cab. I'd still pay more than retail price for it, even in downloadable form. Haha. It was the most played title in the series and just about everyone has fond memories of it. From a competitive standpoint I went to work with the game and on all other ends, it was fun in casual light as well. It's a game that is easy to pick up and goof around, but has a tremendous skill gap at high level. To play it online would be a dream, I'd literally want nothing more.

Now that SCV is out (somewhat), I don't need to play anything else.
Yeah, I'm so hyped about a rush job with half of the cast dropped and 3 mimic characters. I'll get SCV after they "complete" it. Which they will hopefully do through DLC. Sorry, I don't share the enthusiasm. Perhaps I will rent it and buy if I like, but I'm playing cautious with this one.

Of SC II and SC III, I can see III being made sometime . SC II works on the new consoles if you have backwards compatible systems while the game never changed significantly.

SC III can work as well, but they made changes in the AE version of SC III and console did not get them period. If they released a SC III HD that included the arcade changes on psn/live, that would be worth the ~$10 for it IMO.
Yeah, but those changes at this point in time mean little. The game is just as dead as SCII after all. Personally I feel the most popular title should and would be released.

SCII does have a lot more online worthy content outside of the raw game itself. Admittedly, online conquest would be pretty fun, haha.

I would love to see a SCII HD. Man that would be sweet. I absolutely loved that game. All time classic!

Back