School of CaS: Advanced CaS Technique

brucege

[14] Master
Welcome to the School of CaS! Here you will learn how to...
1. not depend on DLC for detailing.
2. use all those boring flat surfaces in CaS.
3. win at life.

NOTE: ALL LESSONS HERE ARE STILL APPLICABLE TO SC6.
*except sticker slots are stacked left-to-right rather than right-to-left

Lesson 1: Layering, the Short Jacket
Your primary tool will be the pocket sticker, Motif 59. It has a cool property called "bump-mapping" that tricks the eye into thinking there's a texture by playing around with light without actually taking the time to construct the bumps.
***PRO-TIP: Try to start your original creations with "Color All -> White." This eliminates color-bias, neutralizes "shine color," and provides a truly blank palette for you to apply your artistry.***
First we start with Mr. White over here:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png.jpg
Pretty sad-looking, right? Well, let's give the poor bloke a jacket then!
Start with the pocket sticker, Motif 59. Place it in slot 3 (third from the left). You'll see why this is helpful later.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png
Alright, ain't lookin' much better....but here's where things get interesting. For this example, go to "Select Location," and select "Entire Body." This makes really amps up the sticker's maximum size range, allowing you to stretch the sticker a little farther. Max out the "Size" parameter. From there, go to "Horizontal" and slide the bar until the sticker is centered on Mr. White's back. Elevate the sticker a bit by sliding the "Vertical" bar some distance to the right. It should now look like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
Okay, so now you gotta figure out a way to deal with this color bleed. You have three choices:
1. Color dat shit in.
2. Use cut off (sleeveless) clothing like vests.
3. Embrace the bleed :P
Let's go with choice 1 for now. This time, color the shirt so that it matches the pocket sticker's color. Like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
To get that inner layer white again, you can apply any large, white sticker in slot 1. The square sticker (Motif 3) covers the most area, and it's the only sticker that can wrap around the whole body. However.....
***PRO-TIP: Use the number one sticker (Number 1, duh) to color large spaces. This saves you a Motif sticker slot, which is much more valuable.***
Anyways, max size and apply to center in sticker slot 1 (far left).
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
So now Mr. White finally has his jacket. If you've done as this guide's said so far and left sticker slot #2 open, you can now insert another sticker between like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
And...that's how it's done! Notice how his clothes look kinda "flat" though? This is because bump-mapping doesn't actually raise the surface.
***PRO-TIP: To avoid that "FLAT" look from bump-mapping, combine bump-mapping with REAL clothing layers to distract the viewer's attention.***
Try some belts, for example.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png.jpg
There! Better already. The bump mapping is less noticeable. Now go ahead and finish Mr. White as you see fit! Here's what I got:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png.jpg
Notice any "flatness" here? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Lesson 2: Layering, the Corset
Now that you've had enough of short jackets, here's another way to avoid color bleed I forgot to mention earlier. This technique is called The Corset.
So start with Ms. White this time. Just for the hell of it, take that pocket sticker (Motif 59) and flip it upside down for that cool angled edge. Max size and move to back, of course. This time, position the sticker down to the VERY BOTTOM by sliding that "Vertical" bar all the way to the left. You should get something like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ (2).png.jpg
Next, we're gonna extend the corset onto the pants by applying stickers onto the pants and raising the sticker ALL the way the TOP (by sliding the "Vertical" bar all the way to the right). The problem is that if you try to max size the pocket sticker on the pants to wrap around the waist, the pocket sticker extends waaaay too far down the body. The solution? Use TWO pocket stickers on the pants, and line them up with the wrap around sticker on the shirt. Here's a picture with the FIRST (out of two) pocket stickers placed:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1 (2).png.jpg
Here's the corset with BOTH pocket stickers on the pants:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png.jpg
***PRO-TIP: Use belts, straps, and equipment to COVER those awkward creases.***
Like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png.jpg
Aaand that's the corset! Go ahead and deck out Ms. White to your heart's desire! This is what I got:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png.jpg

Next post will feature a number of actual CaS from real 8WR artists.

Last edited:
Thanks, man! The scientist in me enjoys classifying, organizing, and logicking the shit outta anything. Used to piss ppl off doing this all the time, now I just do it here :P . Ppl got lotsa good ideas out there; just need tools to express themselves. IE tryin ta level the technical playing field so focus can shift to aesthetics and thematic development. Dat’s where shit gets real. No PS3 for a few days, but will update soon. For now, I've got enough material to bump for a couple months. Until then, both sticky and non-sticky work fine.

I hear you man, when those with all the knowledge keep it secret - there's not competition to be had, no fun or inspiration.

It's certainly well laid out, and you did good with the pictures too - Not too many or too little.

Will sticky if more people req it then, I can't help but feel stickied threads are often ignored because they're a static block of titles.

I just wanted to say ...great idea and take whatever you can from my bag of tricks and copy paste pics because i won't have time to be in on this. No bragging rights but i think i went pretty far thinking outside the box and pushing the editors limits.
But New position, new boss, wife starts a new job, kids starting school again etc :)

Feel free to ask about whatever you want, but usually i did design notes as you usually do...

Have fun !

I just wanted to say ...great idea and take whatever you can from my bag of tricks and copy paste pics because i won't have time to be in on this. No bragging rights but i think i went pretty far thinking outside the box and pushing the editors limits.
But New position, new boss, wife starts a new job, kids starting school again etc :)

Feel free to ask about whatever you want, but usually i did design notes as you usually do...

Have fun !
Hey man, you got any suggestions? The best techniques look so natural that they're easy to miss. Just let me know. Or if anybody else has ideas, just PM me.

This is actually pretty helpful. Now I need to think of a custom that gives me an excuse to utilize these new steps I've learned.
Use the CaS grudge match to challenge someone into a battle, hehe.

Anyway, nice thread Bruce, if you need any help, :)

Hey man, you got any suggestions? The best techniques look so natural that they're easy to miss. Just let me know. Or if anybody else has ideas, just PM me.

I dunno laybe all kinds of armor effects that can be done with all kinds of patterns and stickers like padded (see orc general), mail (dungeon crawler), worn plate (using sun stickeŕto create bumps), decorated plate (le bellos black sieg, my Colimbus), scale (dragon god), rusty plate (lich) etc...endless possibilities...sunday, cant sleep okay :)

Lesson 3: Clothing Extension, Basic

You can create new fashions by extending clothing onto skin (or more clothing) using stickers.

NOTE: If you don't see your creations on this thread, don't feel bad. First of all, no Xbox users for the sake of picture clarity. I also tend to favor artists with creation notes, those with whom I maintain contact, and old artists who don't get the attention they deserve. That (or most likely) whoever uses the technique I'm looking for.

Basic clothing-to-skin extension - Creation by @rdmunhoz.
Let's try creating a new sleeve for Mr. White's tank top.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png
This time, let's use the
grey pocket sticker (Motif 60) in slot 2 and set location to left arm. For this exercise, flip vertical on. This is what you'll get (red arrow points to pocket sticker FYI):
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
Now max the size for this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
Okay, not bad. However:

***PRO-TIP: To really make stickered skin look like clothing, you'll want to adjust the stickers to maximize your bump mapping. These lines break up the smooth surface of the skin to simulate folds/stitching.***
So let's try sliding that horizontal bar to the left until you can see that junction between skin and sticker like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
Great, so what should I do about that awkward exposed armpit? Color it in of course! With a large sticker in left arm,
slot #1, which you kept open if you followed me so far. Again, I prefer using the Number One sticker to fill stuff in. When you first place the number one sticker, it'll be hard to see, so angle the camera upward (so you can see his armpit and lower, non-stickered arm) and adjust the horizontal slider until you can see the sticker peaking out like this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
Max out size for this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
Okay so a little skin's leaking out. All you gotta do is slide the Vertical bar left until the whole arm is covered. Now color the two stickers on the skin to match each other and also to match the shirt, in effect connecting the two arm stickers and the shirt.

***PRO-TIP: Don't trust the color numbers when matching colors. Every piece of equipment (along with skin) has slightly different shades and hues. Use your eye to obtain perfect color match. In the case of skin, all stickers are given a slightly orange hue and experience a significant drop in color saturation. Adjust accordingly.***
Here's how my friend, @rdmunhoz, finished this character, Daeron:
Daeron 1.jpg
Notice there's another of the large
grey pocket stickers pasted directly on the chest, front and center and a small blue pocket sticker on the abs if you look closely. Notice how all the belts, armor, layers, and equipment help offset the "flatness" effect.

Last edited:
Lesson 4: Clothing Extension, Advanced

***PRO-TIP: You can layer and extend without bump mapping. All you need is high color contrast to pull it off.***

Start with Ms. White again.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
Let's find a way to break that boring horizontal line on the blouse. Try the butterfly sticker (Motif 24,) which has a nice bra-like shape to it. Set the colors to pitch black (for maximum contrast), set location to skin's Upper Body, and raise the sticker (by shifting the vertical bar right) until only the top half shows. Increase size a bit for more coverage. You'll get this:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
Now we've kinda broken the horizontal line, but the
cut-off is still really apparent.
***PRO-TIP: For a truly individual look, try to connect different pieces of equipment (or skin) using colors, stickers, and Special Equipment.***
Blend the sticker into the blouse (i.e. not the skin) by applying a second butterfly sticker with only the bottom half showing.
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
There, better already! For best results,
block off the unsightly cutoff with either a necklace or Special Equipment!
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
Finish the CaS to your liking. Here's my final version:

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png

Remember, all you need to extend clothing are
revealing clothes and high color contrast. Try mixing and matching with all the stickers, bump mapped or not. The possibilities are endless.

If you're short on ideas, try simply extending the same sticker type from one surface to another (either clothing or skin) and linking them with SpecEq like in the example above.

Oh, and FYI the corset for this creation is formed from a maxed ribbon sticker (Motif 62, pink) on the top merged with another two of the same (one pink layered over one black) on the skirt.

Coming soon...Clothing Cut - show some skin!

Last edited:
Back