SCIV: Amy Strategies and Setups

Well try mixing up 6BB with 6BB236, you might get some better results.

I've added 1KA to my game. Granted the second hit is high but, it's fast, you get a guaranteed 1KA 33B afterward on CH... or whatever mixup you like (33B or throw). 33B will full launch if they don't break the stun in time, but I believe that 1KA can't be shaken fast enough to guarantee 6BB and 1KA aftward. Oh and if they block the 2nd hit of the string you're at an advantage. But just be aware of the danger of using the move.

Frankly though if you're looking for a good fast mid... remember you're good friend 33B

Is A+B, K launch punishable?
It is -2 on block, so it is safe. Finally something that isn't punishible..

Oh and those having problems with side steppers (me! GRR!!!). 3A is her most consistent sidestep catcher.

So A+B, B or A+B, K is a viable mix-up. I have tons of luck with this. The only problem i seem to be getting with it is against Setsuka, she can A+K,B (the jump over thing) over both attacks and get juggle. But against anyone else it seems pretty good. Especially since A+B, K hits grounded and leads to juggle on hit.

6,6+A is godly.

Do you all get punished when 6+B,B is blocked? I don't. What can punish it? I think I read its -8 on block? It should be safe, correct?

3A on block sometimes forces the opponent to turn sideways; if they attack immediately they attack sideways and sometimes even backwards. If you throw right after it you get side/back throws most of the time.

Is 8A+B useful? I haven't fooled around with it enough to know.

Amy is still a tool shed. She has so much potential.

6BB is safe on block

whats the deal with safe lows, i think that all lows should at least somewhat punishable on block

amy can lick my testicles. 3ba alone is going to become a big issue. someone said it's a parlor trick? are you kidding me? have you even tested the move?

a 3b that stuns on hit, has a low followup that cannot be interrupted, that also cannot be jumped by MOST MOVES, that can't be punished by most characters, that drains the soul gauge like crazy. the most that ppl are going to get is a 9b and that's IF you do the follow-up.

bitch needs some toning down. just a tad.

Alright, let's see what I can remember.

QCF BB is great for starting off a match. High Crushes, fast, has range, and is difficult to step. If they do something faster you can always do something like 6BB. If they keep starting off with a mid like a lot of opponents will, you can do her B+K mid auto-gi into K.

Her regular pokes seem to be:
6BB (One of the fastest moves in the game (i11), -8 on block, +2 on hit, linear high). This seems to be the best option to punish. It's also the best option after a safe move is blocked, other than a high crush or blocking, since it's so insanely fast.

2A (Low range, fast (i14), safe (-5), high crush, circular) 2A seems to be the best option when at advantage. If they do a move, their move will pretty much get beat, even at +2. 12 frame special low!

1A (Good on hit (?), low, average speed (i17), poor on block (-21! be careful), high crush. Circular) Seems like +2 on hit or more, can anyone confirm this for me?

3A (Fast mid (i15), relatively safe (-8), circular.) I think this is 0 on hit, can anyone confirm it for me?

BB (fast mid (i15) with +4 on hit, -6 on block. Linear.) I'll probably use this over 3A, unless my opponent really likes to sidestep. It is better in pretty much every way.

When people block your safe pokes, you can start rolling out "counters" to certain hit types, or block. Vs mids, the obvious option is to B+K auto-gi it, into K. Vs highs you have a lot of options. You can go the safe route and use 2A. You can go for the shakeable stun with 6B+K. But the best option is probably 3BA. Good amount of guaranteed damage to really punish somebody for doing a high. Just be careful since it is -11 on block. Try to mix up finishing it and not finishing it. Vs lows the best thing would probably be BB, 3A or 2A, just your fast mids. Most lows tend to be slow, and get beat out by fast mids. Be careful with the parry since you can be thrown, but a fast mid is usually the best interrupt somebody can do after blocking your safe poke.

Her best stepping manuver seems to be hold3/9, B. Safe launcher ftw, thanks Junior for this one.

Her best wakeup strat seems to be using A+B stance. A+B K will do a sweep that can't be roll evaded. It's also safe, I've pretty much tested that. It's pretty slow though, but high crushes. A+B B provides a hard to shake stun, where it seems to be best to do 66BA afterwards. I've tested A+B B to be -2 on block, extremely safe. Other options on wakeup can be QCF KK and QCF BB for different situations. If you're sure the opponent will get up and block, you can always do A+B A+K B for the unblockable, for some nice damage.

66A+B seems to be her best ranged attack by far. Like a lot of things, it also high crushes. It's linear though. It is unsafe on block, but when used at max range it seems to be safe vs block.

Does anyone know some situations to fit in 66A and 1KA in, since they're + on block?

I think that's about it for now, I've gotta think a little more about what she has, and what are the ways to best get damage with her.

Oh and those having problems with side steppers (me! GRR!!!). 3A is her most consistent sidestep catcher.

3A is a pretty good move in general.

Also I'd like to mention that even though it's not safe, 4KK is also pretty good at catching sidestep and both hits are guaranteed on step CH. Also the KND will RO so it's pretty good if you have someone backed to the edge and they're trying to step around you.

Does anyone know some situations to fit in 66A and 1KA in, since they're + on block?
I like 66A as oki, especially if it's after a KND that pushes them away (otherwise you might have to take a step back before doing 66A). Generally they'll stand up into it and either eat it or at least have to block it, and then you're free to use that frame advantage how you want. And if they start playing dead instead of getting up I'll mix in a 66A+B.

As for 1KA, I don't know. Honestly I don't think this move is too good. The important second hit can be ducked or stepped on reaction. Unless I'm fighting someone who isn't used to seeing it I wouldn't even try to use it. Generally it's a good combo extender and that's about it.

tribaL: I feel like 3BA won't be that good in time. I give it a month or so before everyone and their grandma can GI the low in their sleep. Before EVO2009 I think the top players will be jf GI it in their sleep. I could be wrong, but at least in my area the locals were already blocking or GI it almost first day.

XDest: 236BB isn't bad, but it is a worry to eat a heavy hit or be launched on block (-16 on block).

1A is +1 on hit.

3A is +5 on hit

33B_99B is actually steppable to the left.

the 3g gi doesn't really give too much in frames. then again i play yoshi so drg will work just fine. but most characters will have a problem.

I wonder if eventually jumping lows with A+K will become feasible with better players using it.

Just so you know, you get a full launch with 33B after A+B,B

why are people still arguing 3BA, the proper use of the move has already been explained anyway. If you can't jump it or GI or block it, that is your own problem. Doesn't mean that it's good from neutral situations.

3G GI gives enough frames to throw, what else do you need?

Better throw range

amen to that.

in other news, 1st hit of 4BB looks to have instant TC frames, very useful. 2nd hit force crouches, making it safe. also, i've had some success using 33B to catch tech after 2nd hit on CH.

If you're not having success with 3B,A. Mix it up somemore.
The thing about having a 2 hit string is that the threat of the 2nd hit prevents the opponent from punishing it reactively. He has to guess whether he should or should not attempt to punish it, and from there you can force a mixup.

Don't give me that shit about 3B being -15 on block. True, its -15 on block, but unless your opponent guesses correctly that you're NOT going to do the 2nd hit. He's going to have to take sometime to react to the fact that there is no 2nd hit and respond accordingly. This nullifies/halves/reduces that -15 and you can take advantage of the situation once again (Or at least, the situation has become a lot safer).

When I pointed this out in CF.com, people tell me it won't work, as the opponent can just jump the 2nd hit. There is no mixup.
If your opponent is brave (and dumb) enough to jump after every 3B. And you aren't able to realize that and capitalize on it, the problem once again lies with you.

So once again, to whoever is experiencing no luck with 3BA. Learn to mixup with it more.

3B, Throw
3B, BB
3B, 2B+K.
3B, Step/Backdash
etc.etc.etc.

You're not playing against robots, you're playing against Humans who can make mistakes.
If you want to find a perfect solution to every problem, and ignore the human element in your opponents, you won't find success in a fighting game.

And the point about 3BA being -11 and punishable is just funny.
Only 1 character can punish it. Amy.
This means that 95% of the time, that move isn't punishable, merely unsafe.

Also, if you seem to think that Amy is "so unsafe", you need to look at other character's frame data.
:)

TaXi : You're right on the Tech Crouch call, but if you're aiming to punish a high, 3B wields better rewards. 4BB is merely a "safer" abare.

3B is closer to -15 on block but same difference.. bleh I just use 33B most of the time anyway

for this game its NOT THAT BAD ON BLOCK

You'll eat like what... about 10-12% of your damage if they decide to BB you. It's worth the risk to use it. This isn't tekken (-15 = launch punishable and half life or more) so don't worry too much about using the move.

Either that or just play her 100% safe (not counting lows here), it's up to you.

Thanks for the clarification, edited my post appropriately.

The point still stands though, take a 2nd gander on multi-hit string mixups instead of relying of frames.

Amy is really strong, really annoying, don't think otherwise because a bunch of numbers tell you otherwise. The game and its characters may have its limits, but there is a lot of room for your own versatility to better those limits.

OH ya i wanted to add on the tech catch thing after 4BB... and someone correct me if I'm wrong

After 4BB CH, if they roll to their right a slightly delayed 33B will full launch, and if they roll to their left, 66A+B will full launch. If they roll in the opposite direction, they will whiff. 33B right away will hit but not launch unless they roll back. But it will still hit them on the ground. 3B will also hit them on the ground after 4BB CH no matter which why they decide to tech. And if they tech any direction other than back after eating the 3B, the 2nd hit of 3BA will relaunch. 6:6B also hits on the ground in this situation. (but i still suck at 6:6B)

Frankly I don't use 4BB that much either! I prefer to use 44B in the situations where you would use that. But the damage is great. I do use it out of crouch though.

Anyone have good mixups off of 6B+K's stun? I know it's shakeable but there's 2B+K which makes them pick where to guard..

Probably 66A+B, B+K~236KK works, but I've been thinking
44K, 4BB_66B+K_33B_3BA (66B+K seems really hard to land) and 2B+K, 6:6B or 2B+K, 33B, 3BA
sometimes 6B+K, 2B+K, 236KK can lead to 2B+K, 236KK again, if they try and get up

Back