SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

Its a lag setup because, offline, people can punish WP 66k, so you cant input WP 3a. Online, people cant do b.b or a.a or whatever without getting hit by the WP 3a, if that makes sense.

So lets say if someone was blocking online. Then I input WP 66k, and they try to input b.b after WP 66k. Once I input WP 66k while my opponent is on guard ,and they try to b.b or a.a; they will get hit by WP 3a. I hope that makes sense. If it didn't, reply and I'll give you the directions so you can test it out.

Yeah it's a lag trap. Sieg has a great one. Chief Stance K taps. Offline it's very easy to block and counter hit or at least force them to block, but online you can get quite a few in a row as people offtime the input and keep eating it on counter hit.

This is why i don't play online. Bad tactics win. Good tactics don't. You can only hit a certain level with legitimacy and then you hit a plateau where it doesn't matter and poor tactics will surpass you if you don't have your own ways to deal with lag.

Yeah it's a lag trap. Sieg has a great one. Chief Stance K taps. Offline it's very easy to block and counter hit or at least force them to block, but online you can get quite a few in a row as people offtime the input and keep eating it on counter hit.

This is why i don't play online. Bad tactics win. Good tactics don't. You can only hit a certain level with legitimacy and then you hit a plateau where it doesn't matter and poor tactics will surpass you if you don't have your own ways to deal with lag.
Hey IvyFanBoy, I got another Ivy hatemail today from a Kilik player:

Stupid IVY's....
learn a real character. LOSER.

Well that can be. The low is very hard to block online and can result in added hesitation on the fake out for free frame advantage by just doing CL A+B (mind you that's a legit strategy offline, but online it's very abusable). CL A+BA+K is in fact completely punishable but only if you know how to force the 3rd hit to whiff (not many people know how).

The 'real' rule to playing online is simply don't abuse the connection to get a win. Many people have a magic list of tactics and moves not to use and really it comes down to the scenario and connection. If you realize you are getting away with a punishable tactic repeatedly you should try to determine if the opponent is falling for it or failing to defeat it in lag. But taking away key tactics such as CL A+BA+K can be a huge nerf to Ivy and most people wont' consider how you were using it. WP 11A can be a lag tactic in certain connections, but people often complain when it's used as a tech trap, in which case it's their fault. Same with SW a+bA+B, very lethal online, but when used to catch a tech roll, it becomes unavoidable offline anyway.

Just don't take online seriously. no one is getting the right results the whole match through. I have lost to many terrible people and lag is to blame and I have also shut out people and I can't tell if lag is to blame. The best you can do as gauge people by what they attempt and see if they have the right idea and maybe lag is hindering them.

I once got kicked from the room because they found I learned to play Ivy by looking online to get better...2 people in the same room agreed to this and tried to state 'good players' figure things out on their own and don't have to 'cheat' with the internet.

O______________O
i know, right? i admit, i only got so good, because of this site, i was normal/decent, but after finding this website, i jumped ahead of a lot of people online. i do enjoy playing online, mostly cause im canadian, and theres never tournaments or anything here, so all i have is online, but thats stupid that they would kick you for using the internet to learn.

In coiled stance 1B+K is really an awesome move but it put me down to sword. I've heard that holding A+B after or during it will put me in coiled again. I play on a stick and I never seem to be able to do it... what am I doing wrong.?

If I remember correctly (don't quote me on this) you can hold A while pressing the B+K which should prevent it from going into Sword State.

That's how people used to use CL 1B+K in tournaments and stuff, to poke people, but they did this without going into SW afterwards... I think this is because they held A to keep it in CL.

This thread necro makes me hella sad. I miss Ivy with her SC4 stance changes... How I hate uber boring SC5 Ivy and her stupid command throw input. Hopefully SC6 will return her to SC4 glory with her 3 core stances and minor inbetween ones.

Totally quite playing SC because of SC5. SC5 sux really realy bad. Especially in regards to Ivy. Starting to get back into her since the releace of the original on my iphone. Wishing for Ivy of old because SC5 just wont do!

Back