SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

Wow, I wasn't expecting you to still browse the old Ivy section, Link.

Thanks for providing the info! It's useful for me too because I have an urge to try an arcade stick for SCV.

Well, when I visit 8WR I just click "What's New?" on the home page. If I see anything Ivy related, of course I have to check it out, haha. I just happened to have dabbled in stick modding/building for a bit, so I felt like I could offer some useful advice.

Well, when I visit 8WR I just click "What's New?" on the home page. If I see anything Ivy related, of course I have to check it out, haha. I just happened to have dabbled in stick modding/building for a bit, so I felt like I could offer some useful advice.
Is this your stick? http://godspu.com/pics/link/

top_34_r2.jpg

Fantastic design, very sleek. I'd prefer something like this over the announced MadCatz/Hori arcade sticks. Could you please tell me how much this beauty cost you?

Yes sir, that's my stick. Was it the color scheme that made it so obvious?

It cost me $350, but I already had some of the parts so that cut down costs a bit. It also works on both PS3 and 360.

Godspu is the only builder I found that gives the customer complete control over every aspect of the stick. If you're committed to going the custom route, I highly recommend him.

Yes sir, that's my stick. Was it the color scheme that made it so obvious?

It cost me $350, but I already had some of the parts so that cut down costs a bit. It also works on both PS3 and 360.

Godspu is the only builder I found that gives the customer complete control over every aspect of the stick. If you're committed to going the custom route, I highly recommend him.
350$ is a lot of money. What exactly made this stick so expensive? Was it the optical mechanism? And yeah, I love the colors. My taste exactly.

I will definitely go for something less expensive for my first stick. I was interested in the new MadCatz SCV AS but I'd prefer to have something Ivy themed :)

The optical mechanism is actually the part I was referencing that I already had. What made it so expensive is probably a combination of two things.

1) The case was built from scratch. I wanted a specific size and shape. Size wise, I wanted something easy to travel with. Shape wise, most sticks have a flat top, and the stick I was using previously had a slanted top, which I wanted my custom to match. So, the case was a bit more involved than making a generic box.

2) Dual modding was harder back when I got this stick. Today, they have circuit boards that work on both systems, but back then he had to wire a PS3 board and a 360 board together and make inputs for either board flow through just one cable. I have a switch on top next to the cord that changes which board sends inputs through.

If your main interest is the artwork, you could see about buying a MadCatz stick and just replacing the art. I've seen custom art on them before, but I don't know how to do it. It sounds like a relatively simple job, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

Ah sorry late response!

I would say try the octagonal gate and see if you like it as with MK and SC these are not bad. Personally I'm so used to square gate that I have problems with them, but I can fully see the advantage for these 2 games (for almost all 2D you want a square gate though, for defining shoryuken motions vs QCF motions). It is also probably easier for iCS simply because riding the gate has less angle on the corners and you're likely to not get stuck. Noise is a definite issue and when playing small offline matches it is a running joke how obvious my buffer is...so much so that I frequently will do the motion and cancel to a mid just to catch them off guard. This notation changes with each SC so we'll see with the next one but a lot of the noise comes from the stick hitting the gate and the switches making their click noises. Also no other move in the game has so much motion so it's very obvious it is iCS or SS. At tournaments it's non-issue as it can't be heard.

Gates are cheap (like $8), and very easy to swap out. So if you want to get a square and an octagonal for different games, it's not a bad idea. I would say always stick with lollipop and convex buttons unless you really have a preference for bat tops and concave. SANWAs are great but hyper sensitive so consider buying new buttons that have a little deeper registration point if it's too much. The benefit of this though is that it makes them ideal for plinking and piano roll inputs. I suggest stick with SANWA or Semeitsu parts.

For MK just make sure you get a stick that isn't the PDP one. I can't stress how terrible those devices are and Madcatz has a much much better solution with an interchangeable TE plate (same "X" layout as PDP stick, but ergonomically superior). Personally though I just use the 8 button with this layout:

1 | 2 | - | -
3 | B | 4 | -

looks weird, but if you can mentally grasp the block being in the middle its super comfy for all inputs MK needs.

I always recommend MadCatz TE sticks, but recently we are seeing new sticks that may be fully viable alternatives. There's a pre dual modded stick with SANWA parts was announced for only $180 and Razor's stick is looking really nice for modding parts. As for Link fancy lasers, no idea where to get them and I'm super curious about them, but simply cuz i want silent iCS...I think the clicks actually help me with 2D fighters by helping me keep track of confirmed inputs.

Has anyone else been running into these people that say ivy users are cheating? It's happened a few times now, they say ivy is glitches and that I'm cheating, before we even play. My general response is that they are butthurt noobs, but it's happening more often.

Has anyone else been running into these people that say ivy users are cheating? It's happened a few times now, they say ivy is glitches and that I'm cheating, before we even play. My general response is that they are butthurt noobs, but it's happening more often.
Everyone thinks Ivy is a spammer. lawl. Just tell them to stfu because they obviously can't handle her.

Ivy only has one positive glitch and it is not game breaking. That would be her SW a+bA+B. It's very good but not worthy of being called out for use outside of laggy online.

Ignore people like that. There is an issue with very bad online Ivy players whoring her lag tactics and when people see this and then look at how we well Ivy players do in tournaments, they get confused and blend the two, assuming these tactics work offline and are the reason she does well. Truth being that Ivy is a very complex character and is completely legit. She is strong in areas but has weaknesses to balance her. Blame it on the online Ivy's. I know personally a few terrible one's that will beat my ass all day online...but given offline would be a much different result.

but yes, I have indeed gotten this before...I've also gotten "Your Rock is broke, all you do is throw" even more...so that tells you how people are online.

Ivy only has one positive glitch and it is not game breaking. That would be her SW a+bA+B. It's very good but not worthy of being called out for use outside of laggy online.

Ignore people like that. There is an issue with very bad online Ivy players whoring her lag tactics and when people see this and then look at how we well Ivy players do in tournaments, they get confused and blend the two, assuming these tactics work offline and are the reason she does well. Truth being that Ivy is a very complex character and is completely legit. She is strong in areas but has weaknesses to balance her. Blame it on the online Ivy's. I know personally a few terrible one's that will beat my ass all day online...but given offline would be a much different result.

but yes, I have indeed gotten this before...I've also gotten "Your Rock is broke, all you do is throw" even more...so that tells you how people are online.
...And there goes my last bit of dignity of being an online player :P

Ya...Not the worst one EVER. On a few occasions I have one using ONLY GI till I scored a CF and gotten:
"Block spammer!"
"Stop being a pussy and fight!"
"Wow you're so cheap"

Ya...Not the worst one EVER. On a few occasions I have one using ONLY GI till I scored a CF and gotten:
"Block spammer!"
"Stop being a pussy and fight!"
"Wow you're so cheap"
I sometimes (usually) get:
"iCS is cheap. Learn to play noob"
"Ivy is unfair and overpowered. Play as someone else"
"WP 11A is a lagtactic!" Me: "No, I don't think it is noob" Them: "Fine, I'll use Sophie's 1AA on you" Me: *Looks at them as if they're stupid and walks out*

Bearing in mind these are all from beating someone lawl.

I once got kicked from the room because they found I learned to play Ivy by looking online to get better...2 people in the same room agreed to this and tried to state 'good players' figure things out on their own and don't have to 'cheat' with the internet.

O______________O

I once got kicked from the room because they found I learned to play Ivy by looking online to get better...2 people in the same room agreed to this and tried to state 'good players' figure things out on their own and don't have to 'cheat' with the internet.

O______________O
..and they were on the internet themselves? xD

..and they were on the internet themselves? xD
See your problem is your trying to use logic there. These people live in an alternate dimension outside that crap and will tea bag your PM box at the first sight of it. Mine is tainted with the scent of many scrub nuts over my need to be logical. It doesn't wash out...

But yes. FGs are full of idiots (at all skill levels...I've dumbass pros)...and when you get to online it just hits a whole nother level of stupid. Biggest advice you can take is avoid online entirely if you can, if you can't never take it seriously. You will lose to terrible players, you will beat better players, and everyone will scream bullshit.

Really I think Ivy is not even near the scariest threat online. She gains and loses across the board. I can't zone with her properly and im not accustomed to using her lag tactics so I take a severe nerfing. But my Rock gets buffed to hell with online.

See your problem is your trying to use logic there. These people live in an alternate dimension outside that crap and will tea bag your PM box at the first sight of it. Mine is tainted with the scent of many scrub nuts over my need to be logical. It doesn't wash out...

But yes. FGs are full of idiots (at all skill levels...I've dumbass pros)...and when you get to online it just hits a whole nother level of stupid. Biggest advice you can take is avoid online entirely if you can, if you can't never take it seriously. You will lose to terrible players, you will beat better players, and everyone will scream bullshit.

Really I think Ivy is not even near the scariest threat online. She gains and loses across the board. I can't zone with her properly and im not accustomed to using her lag tactics so I take a severe nerfing. But my Rock gets buffed to hell with online.
That's what I was saying when I complained about Mitsu getting in my face online and spamming 2KB - I can't keep him away from me with ranged attacks because online there's lag and before I complete my "Stay Back" move (probably WP 6B+K 2_8) he's running at me and slides me or A+K's me. It's ridiculous what online prevents you from doing.

To be honest, when go online, I play with the same people. I'm going to take any risks of lossing to a Kilik that uses his b+g grag,trying to ring me out. And if they do, I just spam Ivy's tech traps;

SW :6::(B):: :6::6::K:::4::4::B:::6::6::K:....and so on. But by this time, the idiot who tried to ring me out, would've rage quit and sent me hate mail. Meaning leaving me, laughing and replying to the hate mail. :))))

And also I have a question:

When I am online playing Ivy, I use a lag set up; WP :6::6::K:: :3::A:

Now, there was a Sophitia player that punished my WP 66k, to where I couldnt do WP 3a. I did it again and they did her 236b jf. Im like wtf. Alot of player can input anything after WP 66k. I dont understand how they did it.

And also I have a question:

When I am online playing Ivy, I use a lag set up; WP :6::6::K:: :3::A:

Now, there was a Sophitia player that punished my WP 66k, to where I couldnt do WP 3a. I did it again and they did her 236b jf. Im like wtf. Alot of player can input anything after WP 66k. I dont understand how they did it.
How is this a lag setup?

P.S. Maybe try using WP 44K then if you get CH 3A do [B+K] 236BB.

Back