SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

Ivy General Discussion (Post Random Stuff Here)

I kinda like SW 1A though...its like a i11/i12 move if i'm not mistaken...albeit being a high, relatively good interrupt for CH

Yeap...as what ZDamned said...Ivy is a like a new character now...it will only be that short while before she becomes pwnge...personally I cannot get use to the stance change...CL don't really quite serve the purpose...and I think the only thing good from there is A+B, A+K which is NC btw...

It takes time to play Ivy...moreover Ivy has always been one of the most difficult character to play with...

I kinda like SW 1A though...its like a i11/i12 move if i'm not mistaken...albeit being a high, relatively good interrupt for CH

Don't get me wrong, The move is fine itself, infact, like you listed, it has great qualities.

I just... detest it's input. For every character I have used,(Mitsurugi, Sophitia, Cassandra, Kilik, Cervantes, Nightmare, Sigfried.... Must I keep listing?) 1A is a low attack, and with Ivy in previous games, it has always been a low attack. Furthermore, in all of her other stances, it is a low attack. So in every situation I have an automatic reaction to go to 1A for a Low attack. This move comes out while my opponent is tech crouching, or when they are DOS, and I wiff losing my advantage, and get punished. Not to mention, the range on it alone makes me wiff when I am thinking about using a sweeping low.

LOL...that happened to me a few times until I got use to it. It takes time to get use to her. The range is miserable though but the properties are good and it should most likely be safe on block. Not really sure about that since I don't have a console and yesterday was the second time I've played Ivy.

I agree with you that the input is weird as well. Namtards murdered her old SW 1A which is a relatively good low.

I heard that after SW 22K, 214K is not guaranteed. So if its not guaranteed what are the choices she have after SW 22K. She doesn't seem to have a lot of follow ups after any 22K off any stances.

Oh does BT A+B floor hit launches?

2A+B might work out, 1B+K may work too, although, I have seen that do NOTHING quite often to falling opponents...

BT A+B is my favorite answer to some people who like to Ring Out throw me. I Duck the throw, WS B, and then BT A+B just before they hit the ground, they get knocked back over my head, and out of the ring themselves.

I have a quick question about her fully charged flaming mid of death unblockable where it spins along the ground and hits multiple times. Is this steppable or rollable while on the ground?

I can't seem to figure out how to avoid it and I've had it spammed on me in a corner nearly to the point of losing the round. It tracks so well and seems to have a pretty wide hitbox so I'm just stumped at this point. The Ivy player I was playing against said there was only one real option to avoid it and wouldn't tell me because he was pissed that I kept winning.

I might actually give Ivy a whirl this time around anyway. I'm really digging the changes that've been made to her =)

That move have been tested by a lot of players.

It is tracks 100%. You can only back step of out range. But if you are trapped at one corner too bad.

Oh ... I see ... well good to know I guess.

*sigh* Thanks =)

To be totally honest, in a corner, your best option is to Jump to the side and eat maybe 30% of your life bar to get out of the corner. It's not 1000% broken since it does 5 damage per hit. You just need to cope with getting hit, because it will happen.

actually that's not a bad idea ... it's basically what i've been doing so far and it's been working out ... thanks for your input =)

i'm frustrated to the point i may have to switch to another character as my "main" since i win with so much less effort with all the other characters i play. maybe i'm just not cut out for ivy anymore. =(
Well, I don't think you should change character. If you like Ivy, then play with her.
Is she more complicated than other characters? True
Does she require more effort? True
The only thing you need to do is PRACTICE and play A LOT of VS mode (vs human, of course). Just try to figure out what is GOOD from EACH stance.

For example (when i first started using ivy in sciv):
in Coil: use 3B (a bit unsafe) but followed by 236BB causes nice damage, also 3A is a good sidestep catch. Then we have 4K (in all stances) which is one of her best moves.
Also A+B,A+K that can be mixed up instead of a throw, and leads to WP 66A+B which in turn leads to WP 6A+B (no-half-or fully charged, depending on character and mind gaming), also another mid option in CL is 66BA which can be mixed up with this: 66B, Throw. Finally the 2A,2B and 2K options are not what they used to be, but they're still viable (the 2K hasn't changed much from SC3 at least).

Of course CL has also other notable things, but these are good for a start.
Lastly, If you want to make your Ivy more scary, start practicing CS/iCS immediatelly.
It's not that it will save your ass every time, but it's a very powerful tool if you are able to use it fluently. I believe that If someone uses Ivy, WITHOUT her command throws, automatically loses (at least) a third of her full potential...

To play Ivy, you have to be really patient with her.

Since she has 3 stances now, it will be different as from SC 2. Even SC 3 Ivy is a total different Ivy from SC 2 or SC 4.

I prefer to keep my faith in Ivy. She has a lot of very good tools now. Some how her Back turn games are great as well.

Because once you are BT, you have 2 Options of low and a launcher from ALL Stances...

erm...

can i ask...may I ask...what moves can I use in order to guarantee the launcher from WP 1_2_3 B+K?

e.g. WP 1B, 2 B+K...

I've always used WP 1B, 2B+K, 4B, followed by a 236BB. I rarely use SW 214K because I've noticed after doing those follow ups that my opponent is either too far away or that it doesn't really do anything.

This is a really great thread you guys have going on here. I guess I'm still a noob with this but I've found 236B into SE follow up K spamming to be effective against some people. once you hit someone just follow with SE B,B,B or the JF version which I've never been able to pull off. I usually to CL A+B,A then 236B then K...(hits)...B,B,B or SE A+B unblockable. I really like SE because of the low grab and K options. Like I said I've never been a high level or even a very competent player but it's worked against some of the people I've played.

Also...i miss SC2 ivy.

SE albeit not as strong as it use to be back in SC3 still has its use. From SE is has a launcher (K), a mid (B, B, B) and a fast high UB into attack throw that does 58dmg. And of course a low for sidestepping opponents.

We all miss her...

I played a long session with Ivy last night against some friends. I think I'm getting the hang of her. A+G throw is such wonderful ring out goodness. My friend almost broke my television with a hurled controller. bwahaha!
In SE, i've found that no one ever falls for that high unblockable. All of my friends see it coming and duck before it hits. So, I just stick with the K till it is hits and then B,B,B. I need to practice the just frame version too. Are all 5 hits of that guaranteed if you launch with K?

Yes they are all guaranteed.

The timing is very similar to all the others with the last hit being faster than the rest of them.

The thing is you have to mix up, train them to block mid, keep using the launcher K for about 2 times...you have a lot of options from SE...

I played against my roommate for a couple of hours last night and got schooled. I lost to taki 12 times, then won one, then lost another 5 times and went to bed. His Taki is just nasty. I can't figure out what to do when she gets in close and starts with the possession mixups. Any of you guys fight a Taki player regularly?

Any of you guys fight a Taki player regularly?
Yes I happen to fight vs Taki players regularly.
DO NOT forget! Ivy's step is perhaps the best in the game. Taki players always want to stick close to you. The only thing you need to do is get out of Taki's range. This can be accomplished just by stepping backwards. Just go to practice, have Taki use her PO tools (or her new teleport moves) and just step backwards. This can beat SOME of her options, not all. Just BEWARE of her WS K, because in CH it can rape you.

Also, a little something more than talk:
Ivy's 4K (in all stances) beats several of Taki's options from PO and teleport:
specifically, PO A (this one i'm not sure about, but sometimes i hit her), PO K and both her teleport moves (Ivy hits her up in the air with her 4K lol).

And finally DO NOT ever forget to use Ivy's CL 214B_. She can evade MANY things.

Yes I happen to fight vs Taki players regularly.
DO NOT forget! Ivy's step is perhaps the best in the game. Taki players always want to stick close to you. The only thing you need to do is get out of Taki's range. This can be accomplished just by stepping backwards. Just go to practice, have Taki use her PO tools (or her new teleport moves) and just step backwards. This can beat SOME of her options, not all. Just BEWARE of her WS K, because in CH it can rape you.

Also, a little something more than talk:
Ivy's 4K (in all stances) beats several of Taki's options from PO and teleport:
specifically, PO A (this one i'm not sure about, but sometimes i hit her), PO K and both her teleport moves (Ivy hits her up in the air with her 4K lol).

And finally DO NOT ever forget to use Ivy's CL 214B_. She can evade MANY things.

Thanks for the advice. I've never tried to step with any character in the game. I assumed all evasive movement was essentially broken in SC4. I did recently discover 4k...that move is really incredible. I always get stuck with Taki's PO k and WSK, they almost always CH me. I think I just need to reorient myself to kick my roommate's ass.

Also, oftentimes, i'll fidn myself stuck in WP while getting pummeled at close range. Is there any move that will quickly switch to SW stance from WP so i can respond to the asskicking?

Aside from getting off a transition into SE I think you'll have to move through CL first. When I have a fast character on my ass in WP I try to transition up to CL while blocking and then getting a fast A into SW.

Of course usually I turn semi-retarded and keep trying to land a 3A or 3 in WP until I either get lucky or half my life is taken away. So smooth under pressure

Back