SCV Ivy FAQ & General Discussion

I certainly hope that's not the case, KineticC. Ivy can juggle biggies w/ 3B 6B8 on NH.

@Evan: how high does 3B hit? is it the similar height as the NH 3B, or CH 3B?

I certainly hope that's not the case, KineticC. Ivy can juggle biggies w/ 3B 6B8 on NH.

@Evan: how high does 3B hit? is it the similar height as the NH 3B, or CH 3B?
The 3B hits as a counter hit since the opponent is in stun animation from 22_88A.
So the 6B8 hits everyone. I was testing with Pyrrah when I did it.

The patch notes state that there's "less freeze" on hit and block with 88_22A

Essentially means that you get more frames on hit and block, which was enough to make 3B land as a CH combo too. =)

I lost 2-2 to Xephukai and some Viola player (not Ceirnian) who ran through myself, KrayzieCD and Rushdown. We were all flabbergasted by the end of it. He kept doing step killers with Viola that just locked us down in place. Movement is just not the same anymore.

Link lost his MLG match as well, but I forgot with who.

Back to the lab I go. Gotta learn how to move.

PS. Had some really good casuals with Noface. Oddly enough Ring, we both couldn't AC out of CH 3(A) - 8A+B(B). Char size specific maybe?

I was trying the 22_88A, 3B, 6B8 on a couple of different characters and while it worked on Viola I couldn't get it to connect against Natsu and Leixia. However if you CH them with it from the back then it connects regardless since the stun makes them fall backwards into you.

That's sad to hear, Sora. Hopefully you will destroy them all next time.
PS. Had some really good casuals with Noface. Oddly enough Ring, we both couldn't AC out of CH 3(A) - 8A+B(B). Char size specific maybe?

Interesting. Was Noface playing Cervy? Maybe some characters can't AC out of it, I will look into it.

I was trying the 22_88A, 3B, 6B8 on a couple of different characters and while it worked on Viola I couldn't get it to connect against Natsu and Leixia. However if you CH them with it from the back then it connects regardless since the stun makes them fall backwards into you.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was character or angle specific. It would be nice to know which characters/angles it works with. I might add that move back into my arsenal if I knew.

I lost to Kayane on stream, but who I lost to doesn't matter to me. A loss is a loss. I can't really say anything about it except that the close matches that went my way at Winter Brawl simply haven't at the last two events. Those are the vagaries of early game tournaments for you. I wanted to prove I didn't need the patch to win, but I can't lie; I feel like matches will be less stressful now. You don't need to play quite as perfectly to keep a match competitive.

I lost 2-2 to Xephukai and some Viola player (not Ceirnian) who ran through myself, KrayzieCD and Rushdown. We were all flabbergasted by the end of it. He kept doing step killers with Viola that just locked us down in place. Movement is just not the same anymore.

Link lost his MLG match as well, but I forgot with who.

Back to the lab I go. Gotta learn how to move.

What Step killers does Viola have that locks Ivy down? Or could you not get out of range 0-1?
I do think the BDC nerf really hurts Ivy's game... which is really annoying because I just started working with it the week before the patch :/

If you guys watch the NCR finals, this Viola (Snort) beat Cedric too. I fought him again in casuals and I lost -- it definitely put a new fear of setup-happy Viola in me. But first, I need to learn how to safely move AND fight against movement post-patch.

That's sad to hear, Sora. Hopefully you will destroy them all next time.

Interesting. Was Noface playing Cervy? Maybe some characters can't AC out of it, I will look into it.

Ivy mirror. We couldn't AC out.

I lost to Kayane on stream, but who I lost to doesn't matter to me. A loss is a loss. I can't really say anything about it except that the close matches that went my way at Winter Brawl simply haven't at the last two events. Those are the vagaries of early game tournaments for you. I wanted to prove I didn't need the patch to win, but I can't lie; I feel like matches will be less stressful now. You don't need to play quite as perfectly to keep a match competitive.

That's a really good mentality to have Link.

After this tournament though, I'm not sure if we see the game is still accurate though. Everyone played at NCR all felt subtle yet significant differences in the new movement system that kept screwing with their gameplay. Personally, because it's not so easy to backdash now, I think this game will start favoring 50/50 mixups a little bit more (throw or mid). If you need proof of this, watch Xeph vs Signia in NCR winners finals. The way Xeph was playing Pat was basically a rock/paper/scissors choice between 66B, 66A, slide and throw that Signia couldn't move away from.

What Step killers does Viola have that locks Ivy down? Or could you not get out of range 0-1?
I do think the BDC nerf really hurts Ivy's game... which is really annoying because I just started working with it the week before the patch :/

It's honestly WO 6B+K as a backstep killer and a move that I have not seen used before (8wr move, ball spins around her before being set, it is not VO 6A+B) as a step killer.

Just trying this out. I can get it to connect against Natsu from all angles if I'm close enough. If 22_88A connects at tip range though it doesn't seem to want to connect unless its at the back.

Against Nightmare, if I step to the right the 3B will whiff at tip range, but if I step to the left it'll connect at the same range.

If you guys watch the NCR finals, this Viola (Snort) beat Cedric too. I fought him again in casuals and I lost -- it definitely put a new fear of setup-happy Viola in me. But first, I need to learn how to safely move AND fight against movement post-patch.

It's honestly WO 6B+K as a backstep killer and a move that I have not seen used before (8wr move, ball spins around her before being set, it is not VO 6A+B) as a step killer.

Are the vids for the NCR finals up somewhere?

I'll have to watch for that move... I know when I was messing around with Viola pre-patch, I played around with that move some, but couldn't find much of a use for it. It seemed pretty slow to hit, and the hit box on it was weird. I wonder if they fixed that in the patch...

Are the vids for the NCR finals up somewhere?

I'll have to watch for that move... I know when I was messing around with Viola pre-patch, I played around with that move some, but couldn't find much of a use for it. It seemed pretty slow to hit, and the hit box on it was weird. I wonder if they fixed that in the patch...

Stream archives only on twitch. I'm sorry, I don't have the stream link though.

Sora, you mean maybe 22_88A+B with Viola? It's her best side step killer with 65~ dmg on NH but it's slow and she needs the orb to deal as much damage.

Link, you got eliminated after one loss? Wasn't there a loser bracket?

Sora, you mean maybe 22_88A+B with Viola? It's her best side step killer with 65~ dmg on NH but it's slow and she needs the orb to deal as much damage.

Maybe -- haven't hit the lab yet (won't for a while, need a break lol) to see which command it was. Snort kept throwing it out every start of round then once in a while after that, but every time he threw it out he caught people off guard especially because of the movement nerfs. He really played a different kind of viola -- more setup-happy rather than landing combos and going for max damage. I would define it as 'Soul Calibur 5 Resets'.

There was a losers bracket, but I assumed Sora was only talking about the match people saw on stream. I was eliminated by a Mitsu player in another close match. Considering both of us were eliminated by Mitsu at our last tournament, I think I know who you should do your next punishment chart over. =P

Back