[Seattle, WA] Ragin' in the Rain

I'm not going to mash mixups to random someone out.

That's not what I was trying to imply at all and I'm sorry if I did. I'm just saying different things can attract different people. And if someone does come to a tourney with next to no experience and gets destroyed & loses his money, sure he won't be back for a while but maybe it will encourage him to get better for the future. But people who come to comptitive tourneys where they have to pay to get in usually have a fair amount of confidence in their knowledge of the game.

Edit: greatone, I play on the 360 controller, I am looking into finding a stick but I don't have one right now, is that ok?

thats all good. most people here use the controller. you might wanna bring yours so you dont get stuck playing with our crippled stick.

K I will be over there shortly. I won't be able to stay all though the night, I got stuff to do tomorrow morning.

Mark, I totally agree with you. Playing for money seems weird to me, and paying to get trashed by someone obviously better than you are seems like a sucker's deal.

You probably got this already, but earlier this year I was trying to set up a tournament for June. Basically, I got really busy at school and bugged out of it after most of the groundwork was laid out. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and talked with friends who were either regulars or have run tournaments before. I was trying to come up with a logical way not to have to charge entry (except, perhaps, the house fee,) because one of the two primary goals was to get new people into our group. The arguments for an entry fee and cash prizes won me over, even though I would have prefered them not to.

I'm sure you've played a lot more games competitively than I have, and are used to paid and free tournaments. You say you'd prefer no entry-fee for "this" game (I'm guessing you mean SCIV, not BB,) but there's one reason I think it's necessary. Feel free to challenge this statement if you feel it's wrong, but this is what several people led me to believe: lapsed hardcore players, and out-of-area serious players, are more likely to show up for a tournament if there are "stakes". The main argument for keeping the tournament free is to make it accessible and inviting to casual local players, especially since as a community we're small-time; our group isn't huge, and SCIV is waning in popularity since so many fighting games have been released since last July (SF4 chief among them.) This benefit has to be weighed against the hype/interest generated by attracting stronger players to show up and provide exciting semis and finals, as well as generating consciousness of our tournament beyond our town.

I don't have any delusions of building these up to a huge turnout, but if we can improve the chances of drawing in already experienced players, not to mention maybe getting some folks from Portland/BC/NorCal to show up, we should encourage that. I think there's a golden mean here, where we can establish a level of seriousness and "professionalism" by charging entry (actually, potentially having funds to work with helps us out on the back-end, too, even for silly things like memory units,) while also keeping the "dollars/hours-of-entertainment" ratio low. The magic number I came up with was "under $10 dollars" if someone wants to enter just one event - there are local tournaments (held at places like Gameclucks in Lynnwood) where just the venue fee is $10, with an additional $10 per event. Maybe this works well for a high turnout Marvel/3S/CvS crowd running on lots of screens. That, for us, would seem ridiculous. For that amount, you could take your girlfriend/boyfriend out to dinner and a movie. At ten bucks, the equivalent is squeezing yourself into a matinee with no popcorn or drinks. I think the figure works.

Anyway, I'm just doing a brain-dump here so we can get this out and discuss it. If you guys agree/disagree, shout it out and we'll hammer out something that works.

Unfortunately, I've still got work I need to finish. I'll try to swing by tonight so that we can have that conversation about August 15th, but I don't think I'll have the time to stay and play much this week. Seeya guys!

I come from the philosophy of playing for respect and pride. I'm not going to mash mixups to random someone out.

Scenario: New person buys-in to get deuced? GG he isn't coming back.

On a side note, I wish the arcade scene was still alive...

this is sort of what i was saying earlier with buy-ins scaring away new players. a lot of people might feel like they're getting gypped out of their money, or that if they spend the money they have to commit more time than they want. there are ways we can get around this problem, though. when everyone gets together tonight i'm confident we can come up with a solution that most everyone will be happy with.

as for tiers, cam posted a list before that was pretty accurate:

Top:
Hilde, Voldo, Algol, Kilik
High-Mid:
Ivy, Setsuka, Amy, Yoshimitsu, Lizardman, Cervantes
Mid:
Nightmare, X, Sophitia, Cassandra, Astaroth, Yun, Siegfried, Mitsu, Darth Vader
Low-Mid:
Raphael, Taki, Apprentice, Tira, Zas, Rock, Maxi
Low:
Talim, Yoda, Mina

Alright guys, I got the all-clear from Narayan on our plans. Most everything's settled. I need to finish my finals, but I'll pop everything online as soon as I'm done (likely tomorrow afternoon) and start hitting various forums. I'll update when the websites updated (it looks like I can do everything I need to easily, but I don't have the time to plug in all the content right now,) and then we start telling *everyone*. :)

Ok, back to work.

Just wanted to say again that tonight was great. I really enjoyed playing this game with you guys and hope to get better the more we play! Also props to everyone, especially Dion, for putting together this tourney. I can't wait!

Ok, I just finished up my work. I'm going to grab some sleep, but I haven't forgotten about the stuff. I'll get to as much as I can today.

Hey, I was just wondering...why don't we ask? What I mean is the closest main competition we have are the people in NorCal. I've seen several posts where they have actually gone out of state for tourneys. Why not ask them what would they like to have as far as entrance fees and whatever else you cant come to terms with. No only will that clarify some things but it'll get the word out. Just a thought.

Hot? Hmm...yeah I'll tell you how it feels when we get to Houston tomorrow. I figure about 95-98 degrees with a minimum of 70% humidity. That'll be fun.

Anyway, that brings me to my next point, not trying to be overly dramatic or anything but I just wanted to say to you all that if something should happen to us when we get home, it was pleasure meeting you all and the time I've spent in our groups have been quite possibly the greatest times I've had here in Seattle. Thank you all for that.

Now I got that out of the way. I'll see y'all next week and hopefully I'll have a surprise when I do. Holla!

I would definitely be up for it. I thought I wouldn't be here this Friday, but thanks to a date mix up I will be here the week and will miss next week, which really bummed me out. But yeah, I would be able to meet this week.

Just a side note: I picked up a copy of BB off eBay for less than 50$. So I can bring that if we don't have enough copies :).

I'm iffy for this Friday. BlazBlue has been intriguing me more with the dearth of new videos about SC. I may pick it up if I can get a TE stick.

Only have one person in for this Friday, so I guess we'll raincheck. Sorry minuteman.

Np, so just to recap what I said earlier, I won't be here next week, but I did pick up a copy of bb so if anyone wants to get together to play that or sc, the week after next, let me know.

Back