Should Algol Be Banned

Banning Algol From Tournaments?

• Yes, ban Bubble boy. And All his sheninigans.

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • A partial ban. Ex. His bubble Shield.

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • No, ALGOL BANS YOU!

Votes: 102 49.0%

• Total voters
He has already been banned in France and Japan.

Not Japan, considering they don't even have console tournaments there to my knowledge. Also Japanese are not like others, they would not ban Algol.

Do you want to know the true reason Algol is banned? They say it's for the good of the community, which is sadly the best argument they have. Why is it good for the community? It's because the community is filled with people who just refuse to learn something new or try to overcome something difficult. Rather than put in effort and adapt, they quit. In order to ensure high tournament turnout in the future, tournament organizers decided this is the best decision.

Not Japan, considering they don't even have console tournaments there to my knowledge. Also Japanese are not like others, they would not ban Algol.

Do you want to know the true reason Algol is banned? They say it's for the good of the community, which is sadly the best argument they have. Why is it good for the community? It's because the community is filled with people who just refuse to learn something new or try to overcome something difficult. Rather than put in effort and adapt, they quit. In order to ensure high tournament turnout in the future, tournament organizers decided this is the best decision.

Thank you ! i personaly dont even main Algol, i just think its ridiculous to ban him for all the above reasons, High Level play should involve beng able to avoid and adapt to algol, banning him is so lame...

lol algol has so much gay options. soooo many. yeah we can all learn to get around his super dumb ass screen taking half life dealing mid shooting while low attacking time wasting camera breaking annoying as fuck and un appetizing bullshit...but why? why can't you just play someone else?

no. we as a community might get around it...probably not but maybe...but to newcomers it is kryptonite made of bullshit. if you can't see that then lol at you.

I'm not a high level SC player, but I'll add my bit anyway.

I think T4 Jin was worse than Algol, but T4 Jin wasn't banned. A lot of tournaments ended up with Jin/Jin finals, and whenever I fought a Jin I always felt it was an uphill battle, but when I owned that Jin there was a sense of accomplishment, especially when it was a well known Jin.

That said, the overwhelming number of Jin players took a lot of fun out of an already less than stellar game. Algol looks to have a similar impact on SC4, so I say ban him.

It's one character out of 30, and even though some would be pissed about him being banned, it would make for better tournaments and more variety as far as I can tell from the posts here. I don't want to see a bunch of Algol/Algol at every big SC4 tournament.

lol tekken 4 jin was never banned...because tekken 4 was so awesome? or because it had such a huge following?

wait...why the fuck was he never banned? well oops. lets not do that again.

lol algol has so much gay options. soooo many. yeah we can all learn to get around his super dumb ass screen taking half life dealing time wasting camera breaking annoying as fuck and un appetizing bullshit...but why? why can't you just play someone else?

no. we as a community might get around it...probably not but maybe...but to newcomers it is kryptonite made of bullshit. if you can't see that then lol at you.

Yup when other players/newcomers see the stupidity its going to turn them away from the game making out community smaller...again...I rather not see that happen.

Yup when other players/newcomers see the stupidity its going to turn them away from the game making out community smaller...again...I rather not see that happen.

Would you care to explain why MVC2 is such a popular game?

In fact I'm willing to bet if anyone gets a long Algol combo off during the Evo semi-finals+ those potential 'new' people would be cheering and getting extremely hyped. This could spark people to actually WANT to learn how to play.

Also how do you know that people will be turned away from Algol being a playable character? Again he isn't dominating any tournaments and there have been no signs as of yet of all the top players picking him up... so whats the problem? Irrational fear isn't pointless.

personally i dont think he should be nerfed, i find other charcters far more annoying, he has so many unsafe moves that the bubbles dont overly bother me, and if you stay upclose he doesnt really have that much of a chance of using his bubble screens, the only thing that i find ridiculous is the combos he can use on certain characters that take off like 3/4 health, tho in saying that when i try to do it i can never pull them off ha ha

the thing is...he is winning major tournaments. and none of the top players have switched to him...yet. and he's the boss character. and he's cheap as fuck. and he can do retarded things.

ug this is pointless.

According to the tournament organizer for SC4 at SB3 Algol is NOT banned.

I don't know what anyone else heard but as recently as today (Oct 15th) the person who is running SC4 has said that Algol is allowed at SB3.

Thank you very much...you gave me a headache.

Umm...you're welcome?

QFT.

I just really don't see the point in banning Algol. If someone could tell me, please do so. I've read every single post in this thread, and I really don't see any difference between Algol and other characters. Every "crazy" combo I've seen is highly situational. Bubbles are hard to walk around? What? Did you ever play as Sophie in SC3? This whole thing strikes me as being incredibly reactionary.

And sure, banning a legitimate character may be bad and stuff, but think of the real victim here: ShenYu. Do you want to make his cool Algol skin go to waste? Well, do you?

Technically it's not just an Algol skin. The goal was to have alternating backgrounds for different characters. It just happens that Algol is one of the more badass looking ones though. Haha.

Why wasn't Jin banned in Tekken 4? Because top players eventually did find ways to beat him and there were ways around him. If there wasn't ways around a character's stuff it'd be a no brainer to ban.

I'm new to this game and I don't care which decision is made. I'm just ready to quit this game based on the fact that the community is completely full of a grade school children that can't make a decision. I mean lets bring examples of characters that were banned in fighting games and compare Algol to the same reasoning, or pit the best Algol player against the worst character player in each tier bracket and see how balance is effected.

Personally the only move that concerns me is 4B+K. Characters have had bubbles/fireballs since street fighter, but how many have had an instant unblockable free on anyone walking backwards?

Yes I know there are numerous ways around it, blah, blah, blah, but it is a turtle killer plain and simple. If you can get a lead on Algol and run away to beat him by the clock all he has to do is bait you to back up, use 4b+k and make a dirty comeback. I mean if this was to apply to chess it would be a quick ban, "you moved your queen backwards, I get it for free, bwahahahaha".

the thing is...he is winning major tournaments. and none of the top players have switched to him...yet. and he's the boss character. and he's cheap as fuck. and he can do retarded things.

ug this is pointless.

Maybe it would be less pointless if you guys could be a little more convincing.

When did Algol win a major tournament, and against who? Is there a vid?

Because that vid about Ivy vs Algol was pretty poor, even I can tell that the Ivy didn't really know how to fight Algol.

Do you honestly believe that the fact that he's a boss character is a good argument to ban him?

How is Algol cheap? What retarded things can he do?
If you're talking about the long combos, do you know what it takes to start these combos?
The hard part isn't even the bubbles, it's the first hit. When you launch the enemy in the air, you can't be too far and you can't be too close or else the super launch bubbles won't work. You have to be extremely precise. And it's character dependant. And the first attack is always a mid hit, and it won't work if it's blocked.

So, surely you're talking about something else, that hasn't been discussed yet...?

Maybe it would be less pointless if you guys could be a little more convincing.

When did Algol win a major tournament, and against who? Is there a vid?

Because that vid about Ivy vs Algol was pretty poor, even I can tell that the Ivy didn't really know how to fight Algol.

Do you honestly believe that the fact that he's a boss character is a good argument to ban him?

How is Algol cheap? What retarded things can he do?

How is he cheap ? how is he retarded??

He can shoot bubbles out of his forearms, Chest, low, high , bounce off walls, slowly float around, unblockable huge bubble... 2 in a row while side stepping, 4 in the air while retreating backwards, His back dash is like a fast moonwalk...

The slow retarded bubbles float around blocking the camera, making it where you have to go at him a certain way... His combos are disgusting and really not that difficult... You dont always have to do the huge one... even the smaller ones are ridiculous for how easy they are...

Projectiles arent ment to be in soul calibur... yea maybe one person can shoot something at you but none of the other characters have things that just stay there and float around while your fighting...

If your fighting in the cage and he fills it with bubbles then comes at you well look out cause even if you get him in a guaranteed combo the retarded ass bubble will bounce off the wall and make you miss and give him advantage back...

Mostly the slow floating projectiles are the ones that piss me off... If they would just make them all fast I dont think it would be as bad... but still in stages with only walls its retarded either way...

I dont want to ban him.... but he does need a patch or two

How is he cheap ? how is he retarded??

He can shoot bubbles out of his forearms, Chest, low, high , bounce off walls, slowly float around,
What's wrong with all that?
Low, high? I think you mean special mid...
(Except the one that can only be used as a juggle or to catch someone who's been in the air for too long.)
Bounce off walls only if the bubbles are quick, in which case they deal 10 damage.

unblockable huge bubble...
It's one of the worst unblockables of the game.
1. It's slow.
2. You simply can't hope to use it as a wake up.
3. If you're too close, the bubble will float above the enemy's head and be wasted.
4. If you're too far, the bubble won't touch the enemy unless he sidesteps to your right, because the bubble goes slightly to the right.
5. Like any Unblockables, it can be JI'ed. If it's JI'ed, the unblockable goes back in Algol's face.

2 in a row while side stepping
The bubbles in this move are worthless because they aim poorly. What's good with this move is that it's a good get-out-of-trouble move.
4 in the air while retreating backwards
There's nothing impressive about this attack, except cool factor. You block or side step and that's it. I think it doesn't track at all. And if they bounce, they won't come back.
His back dash is like a fast moonwalk...
Now that's one thing that is strong about him. But it's a nice tool that you have to work against. Everyone has nice tools that you have to work against.

The slow retarded bubbles float around blocking the camera, making it where you have to go at him a certain way...
You can never have full control, whoever you face.

His combos are disgusting and really not that difficult... You dont always have to do the huge one... even the smaller ones are ridiculous for how easy they are...
Which ones are you talking about?

Projectiles arent ment to be in soul calibur...
Is that supposed to be a fact, or a personal opinion?
yea maybe one person can shoot something at you but none of the other characters have things that just stay there and float around while your fighting...
Every character changes the game's rules in their own way.

If your fighting in the cage and he fills it with bubbles then comes at you well look out cause even if you get him in a guaranteed combo the retarded ass bubble will bounce off the wall and make you miss and give him advantage back...
Not everything on the game depends on skill. Some things need more luck than others.
I would guess that a bubble bouncing back at the proper angle and interrupting the enemy at the perfect moment would require a lot of luck. But hey, you could classify that as one of his few unreliable tools.

Mostly the slow floating projectiles are the ones that piss me off... If they would just make them all fast I dont think it would be as bad... but still in stages with only walls its retarded either way...
Slow bubbles really don't travel far. They can't really bounce back and hit you unless you're really close to a wall, and again at the proper angle.

Dear lord that entire last post is completely opinion, SOMEONE LOCK THIS THREAD this is really getting out of control. Decision made, Algol is banned because we can break fireballs and I don't really feel like the people against banning respect that at all or have the skill to even comprehend the bastardly things I can do with bubbles. Those vids were supposed to help, apparently you don't believe even what your eyes can see?

Back