Should Algol Be Banned

Banning Algol From Tournaments?

• Yes, ban Bubble boy. And All his sheninigans.

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • A partial ban. Ex. His bubble Shield.

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • No, ALGOL BANS YOU!

Votes: 102 49.0%

• Total voters
I'm not going to argue with you... your obviously pro retarded shit while i'm not...

And yea umm considering soul calibur is a weapon based fighting game i'd say projectiles shouldnt be in period... big whoop cervantes can shoot his gun... its nothing when compared to algols shit...

what i ment about you have to come at him a certain way is you either have to step... which he knows... or come straight through which he knows... His bubbles block the view of the camera and make his good moves safe...

Nothing impressive about the 4 air bubbles? Have you seen the retarded juggles he can do ? all your doing is taking my arguements breaking them down with little kid explanations and spitting them back out so it seems they arent really that bad... When they are...

Done with this thread...

Would you care to explain why MVC2 is such a popular game?

In fact I'm willing to bet if anyone gets a long Algol combo off during the Evo semi-finals+ those potential 'new' people would be cheering and getting extremely hyped. This could spark people to actually WANT to learn how to play.

Also how do you know that people will be turned away from Algol being a playable character? Again he isn't dominating any tournaments and there have been no signs as of yet of all the top players picking him up... so whats the problem? Irrational fear isn't pointless.

2 different communities. Just look what happened with SC3 and VC. It was allowed when people wanted it banned and turned many people away from the game.

I want some actual evidence that Algol players are winning tournaments with "Scrub tactics" against top players. Also, how about some solid evidence that projectiles don't belong in this series... Well?

My biggest problem with the 'he changes the way SC was meant to be played' argument that gets thrown around is, who decides how SC is really supposed to be played? I mean Namco makes the game, I think if anyone at all, they know the intention of the gameplay. If they decide to incorporate a guard guage, give a character an :A::+::B: throw break, another character charge moves, and/or another character slow/fast/anti-step projectiles, Namco intended those characters to use them. That aspects of Algol "contradict the core Soulcalibur engine design" is a slightly better argument, though it essentially is only referring to the core engine design of the past games in the series. SC4 is the new game with a new design...if the community wants to change the intention of this new design...then whatever. I'm still in the opinion that this is unjustified.

Dear lord that entire last post is completely opinion

I thought I was using facts. Can you explain why all my points are opinions?

Those vids were supposed to help, apparently you don't believe even what your eyes can see?
Eyes don't always see the truth. You can merely interpret what you see. In these matches, what tells you that both people knew Algol perfectly well? What tells you that they both did the most that they could do? What am I supposed to see?

And yea umm considering soul calibur is a weapon based fighting game i'd say projectiles shouldnt be in period... big whoop cervantes can shoot his gun... its nothing when compared to algols shit...
Again, is that supposed to be a personal opinion, or a fact?

Nothing impressive about the 4 air bubbles? Have you seen the retarded juggles he can do ?
Yeah I did. I don't think that these long combos should be allowed, but as a self counter point, these long juggles are hard to start up because your first combo's attack has to be extremely precise, hits mid, and must not be blocked or side stepped.

All your doing is taking my arguements breaking them down with little kid explanations and spitting them back out so it seems they arent really that bad... When they are...
If that's the wrong way to do it, then tell me which method should someone use to convince you that Algol doesn't deserve a ban.

At this point, I just hope that Namco gives half a shit about this when they release their next update and nerf Algol (Which I'm sure they will). I don't main the bastard, but I think it'd be a waste to neuter a character with a unique moveset when you could just as easily fix the bad crap without really hurting him. Hopefully this ban will ultimetely benefit the character, in that we'll end up with a better designed character.

Edit: Please don't resort to petty insults and vague generalizations. Most of us here aren't children, and there isn't any reason to act like them. IMHO, the fact that people are acting so immaturely is more likely to drive away prospective players then the fact that we take a while to come to a decision.

So many people so passionately against Algol.

I imagine you're getting schooled on by him, no? Have any of you actually sat down to learn to play AS HIM or AGAINST HIM?

There's ONE tournament that I've seen dominated by Algol, but as I understand, that's just because the people that would have won anyway decided to mess with Algol.

And if these combos are very situational and character specific (they ARE), then it would be fairly simple to play another character that can't be juggled as easily as a counter to Algol. Does anyone out there still only use one character regardless of the match?

As I've said, I'm for keeping him in, but I'm not going to cry over whatever decision is eventually made. As it stands though, I think the ONLY way he's going to get OFFICIALLY banned is if you guys go for the tourny/event organizers and get them to make a statement by banning him.

All of our bitching and moaning in this thread means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You want to get him banned or keep him in? Talk to the community leaders and tourny runners. And if you ARE a tourny runner, be a man, make a choice, and stand by it. Others will follow.

Oh, and does the community at large (aka, the NON-obsessed players) even give two craps about Algol being in the game? I don't see him online too much.

@Rico: Neither do I. Also, a lot or people seem to forget the fact that this game, unlike Tekken 4 or MvsC2, can be actually be fixed when something idiotic like VC or infinites show up.

Do you guys want grand finals to constantly look like this? RTD isn't even doing any high level Algol stuff, no crazy juggles or anything. He's simply playing Bubble Games. For now, Algol is banned... WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH NAMCO PATCHING! You cant leave Algol unbanned in anticipation of a nerf from Namco, that may never actually come. If Namco decides to nerf him, then the situation will be re-evaluated... but the game as it stands NOW... He is banned.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't ban him because a patch might come. What I'm trying to say is, we should all try to relax about this, since we can just evaluate him after the next patch is released (In other words, a permanent ban is unlikely). Hopefully the upcoming tourneys will reveal some crap that needs fixed with other characters as well.

Edit: I still disagree with the ban, but I see no point in whining about it, and I can understand where the tourney organizers are coming from. This is pretty much settled now that a decision has been made, so let's all just leave it at that for now.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't ban him because a patch might come. What I'm trying to say is, we should all try to relax about this, since we can just evaluate him after the next patch is released (In other words, a permanent ban is unlikely). Hopefully the upcoming tourneys will reveal some crap that needs fixed with other characters as well.

too late....now let's move on with our lives and deal with this.

*is happy people of this community has had some balls and made a desicion*

oh and btw....it goes back to what i said before.

"god forbid us to banning him now and all of a sudden namco fixes him from a patch...no we'll still look like jackasses anyway..."

Too late for what? Maybe I'm not being clear. What I'm trying to say is, he's already banned for now, and I kinda doubt Namco's stupid enough to release a patch before the upcoming tournies. In other words, the case for this is fucking closed for now, and I see no problem in evaluating him after the patch is released, which prolly won't be for a while (And definitely not before nationals).

RTD isn't even doing any high level Algol stuff, no crazy juggles or anything. He's simply playing Bubble Games. [/url]

Oh ok, so only execution skills for hitting absurdly situational, difficult combos is "high level" algol stuff.

I swear i hate the scrub mentality, cheap this cheap that, oh i got a boo boo from a high level Algol, DEAL WITH IT ! Hes just a High Tier, High Level players can deal with this, and all you do by banning him is dumb down the community...

So Jaxel, that video doesn't scream broken to me. I saw patterns (such as the low when he was stepping bubbles). I also saw that not one bubble got GI'd and that the player was scared to move in at points when he could have (you have to man up and enter the bubble storm).

I imagine you're getting schooled on by him, no? Have any of you actually sat down to learn to play AS HIM or AGAINST HIM?
No, Rico. No one in this thread who wants Algol banned has EVER played as him or against him. Not a single person.

As I've said, I'm for keeping him in, but I'm not going to cry over whatever decision is eventually made. As it stands though, I think the ONLY way he's going to get OFFICIALLY banned is if you guys go for the tourny/event organizers and get them to make a statement by banning him.

All of our bitching and moaning in this thread means nothing in the grand scheme of things. You want to get him banned or keep him in? Talk to the community leaders and tourny runners. And if you ARE a tourny runner, be a man, make a choice, and stand by it. Others will follow.
Guess what? Algol is being banned in tournaments and events.

Oh, and does the community at large (aka, the NON-obsessed players) even give two craps about Algol being in the game? I don't see him online too much.
Cause online is super important.

Cause online is super important.

I wouldn't say that online isn't important. It's elitist to say that, even though it sucks, it doesn't matter to someone. Hell, even someone as un-funny as Dennis Miller matters...to someone...I think...on second thought, maybe you are right...

@Jaxel--Sorry, man, but I gotta go with Ceirnian on this one. Nothing about that video screamed broken to me. Top tier, for sure, but not broken. I got the impression that the second player just didn't know Algol that well. Why not try stepping 3_9 instead of 2_8 to avoid the bubbles? You dodge them and get closer to him to stop him from shooting more.

I wouldn't say that online isn't important. It's elitist to say that, even though it sucks, it doesn't matter to someone. Hell, even someone as un-funny as Dennis Miller matters...to someone...I think...on second thought, maybe you are right...

@Jaxel--Sorry, man, but I gotta go with Ceirnian on this one. Nothing about that video screamed broken to me. Top tier, for sure, but not broken. I got the impression that the second player just didn't know Algol that well. Why not try stepping 3_9 instead of 2_8 to avoid the bubbles? You dodge them and get closer to him to stop him from shooting more.

Good sir:

1. I take it that you can smell the sarcasm that was in the post previous to you.

2. It's done and over with, there's nothing you can do about it now...stop this useless crying and reasoning about the banishment of Algol and move on with your life.

:D

When it comes to Soul Calibur, "Playing to win" lasts only as long as it takes for more than 4 bubbles to appear on the screen.

No, Rico. No one in this thread who wants Algol banned has EVER played as him or against him. Not a single person.
My reading of that is "Have any of you actually sat down to learn about Algol"
Playing as Algol or playing against Algol means squat if you aren't learning anything from it.
If someone's spamming Asta 1AA on you and you have not learned to either guard low or jump - you deserve to die for it. Ditto to Algol.
Algol is High tier. Banned high tier now but meh I'll continue this for the sake of Argument. If he wasn't banned, all it would mean is that you need to figure out an Anti-Algol strat.
"What are my long range moves?" "Do I have anyway to get around bubble shield?" What can I do to beat his teleport?"

Learn what visual cues he has for his Combo starters.
Learn what isn't safe for him and in what circumstances you can punish it.
Learn what mix-up he can do on what moves.

If everyone uses him, Then obviously more and more counter-algol strategies should emerge as a result. (Granted more combo's and techniques pop up too)

now someone pay me mah 2c!

Back