Should Project Soul officially introduce Seidou Nagumo and Setsu in a future game ?

Should Project Soul officially introduce Seidou Nagumo and Setsu in the next SC game ?

• Total voters

LisaK

[14] Master
Project Soul would reboot the cast during Soul Calibur II, introducing Seidou Nagumo and Setsu, who served as substitutes for Taki and Mitsurugi, but they were discarded from the final product.
EXKNVePUMAAVAn0.jpg

I would like to know if people would like these characters to become part of the fixed cast, instead of remaining in limbo along with several other characters that have served as a template for the current cast. I don't say that they should replace veterans (Mitsurugi and Taki) or anything like that, but their design and background could be used to give life to a new character that maybe we like it.

426_n20010519_04_soul01.jpg
426_n20010519_04_soul02.jpg

Yes, but only if they bring new weapons/fighting styles instead of replacing veterans

Setsu got in, technically, as Taki's 2p, but Seidou Nagumo didn't. I could see either of them working if they wanted to, especially if SoulCalibur VII doesn't get 2p costumes (I hope it does, but... we'll see!), it would be a way for Taki's 2p from SoulCalibur II to make it, but on a new character. But either of them could see a return of the Sickle, the Katana & Shuriken, or the Steel Fan styles from SoulCalibur III. Seeing those fully fleshed out would be potentially nice.

There's just too little insight into what these characters would have looked and played like, as a functional matter, for me to have much of an opinion personally. I will say this: if we're going to bring in yet another character based upon the wandering samurai trope, I'd just as soon we got a proper return for Arthur. Likewise, while timing would complicate the possibility realistically, if we're going to get another character close to Taki's niche, I'd just as soon we had Natsu. Now, I'm much more concerned with the actual gameplay implications here than an lore hand-wringing or the actual character selection itself, so if they wanted to graft the majority of her moveset into a larger new one, I suppose I'd welcome that (Natsu's moveset was one of the better things about SCV, afterall), though it does strike me a little bit of an awkward approach and something that is unlikely to happen.

That said, I'm hoping that the continuing support model established in SCVI will be something that Namco will be in a position to not only embrace but build upon for SCVII (which we must remember, is not likely to show up until at least the half way mark of this coming decade), and I would really hope that would mean a pretty especially large roster compared to what became the norm in the last generation because of budget cuts and declining marketshare both for the genre at large and Soulcalibur within it (while the base price for a game stayed stagnant). Being able to ask for a significantly large overall pricetag for said roster ought to help significantly in that respect, and I'd like to think that 40 to 50 characters for the entire run of SCVII would be a real possibility. That would allow for a fair few adaptions on previous lore characters that were left by the way side, in addition to the core regular faces, guests, and a smattering of completely new originals.

I will say this also, and as a certainty: an extra generic ninja or samurai would be a very welcome change at this point when compared against the alternatives of a dude flailing around with a "double sword" like Star Wars kid, or another anime psuedo-wizard pulling weapons from thin air. At least, insofar as my aesthetic and tonal preferences are concerned.

Ignore the "SC 7", unfortunately I didn't notice, there is no way to change the title.. Sorry. :sc2mit3:

To be honest I think 'Natsu' would be the closest I will see to 'Setsu', but I would like her to end up inheriting Aurelia's sickle/kusarigama, but replace her unrealistic style for something more acrobatic. As for Seidou, there were rumors of Mitsurugi's 'lost' brother during SC 5, maybe this would be the new version of Seidou while Natsu is the former Setsu, I even saw a concept image of the supposed brother, but as we know, Daishi deleted all his previous tweets.

Ignore the "SC 7", unfortunately I didn't notice, there is no way to change the title.. Sorry. :sc2mit3:
There should be a pulldown menu just above the thread that will have an entry that says "Edit thread"; this will allow you to edit the title.

To be honest I think 'Natsu' would be the closest I will see to 'Setsu', but I would like her to end up inheriting Aurelia's sickle/kusarigama, but replace her unrealistic style for something more acrobatic. As for Seidou, there were rumors of Mitsurugi's 'lost' brother during SC 5, maybe this would be the new version of Seidou while Natsu is the former Setsu, I even saw a concept image of the supposed brother, but as we know, Daishi deleted all his previous tweets.
I don't think I'd call that a kusarigama, but I'd love to see an actual kusarigama or a dual kama style added to the game for sure. I feel like a kusarigama is a niche enough weapon that the devs might be skeptical about adding one for fear it will always be compared against Earthquake/perceived to be treading on a style Samsho has been using for some time--the irony being that it was always an odd choice of weapon for a behemoth character like that and I suspect that PS could do much more with it as a fast and nuanced weapon. It would also allow for a chain-based weapon that wasn't as enmeshed in magical silliness as Ivy or Aurelia's chainblades or Kratos' weapons--something that I think can actually work in a Soulcalibur game.

But I'd be just as happy to see a character rocking a regular kama or two--they are incredibly versatile weapons and you could even have the character use one overhand and one underhand if you really needed to go for a little bit of that stylized posturing that PS are such big fans of. There's even a handful of animations from the wave swords (otherwise one of the most idiotic and awkward looking of the SCIII:CE psuedo-styles) which could probably be adapted as overhand kama strikes with a minimum of work. Also, not that historical continuity is key here, but the kama was in its heyday around the time of the Soulcalibur narrative, since it overlaps with the last little bit of the shogunate period.

But taking a step back again, on the list of chained/roped weapons I'd happily take over more wizards or made-up weapon anime nonsense: a rope dart, a kyoketsu-shoge, and, especially, a meteor hammer. Though admittedly these weapons would all take an extra layer of work, care, and nuance to be made to look compelling and work within the Soulcalibur mechanics. But honestly, although the style is fun enough to play for one of the half-styles, I came away from Aurelia's 'sickle' style feeling like it was just a weaksauce pantomime of Ivy's chain blade: redundant and probably not worth the effort of trying to re-engineer if there's another option that work could be put into.

Last edited:
I would like for the two of them to get some more distinctive features or outfits. As of now they don’t look different enough imo to be full characters.

If they are tweaked and given a new weapon/style and don’t look like mitsu Taki tipoffs then it’s fine.

visually how are they different from alternate outfits of Taki/Mitsurugi ?

They dont have distinctly different body types (height, overall weight)
They don't have distinct stance/poses to indicate they would be any different in motion
Even hair/eyes are not distinct

I think these two will end up at best, as enemy npcs in a singleplayer story line in the (far) future.

The one thing that needs to also be re-mentioned is that they have specific relationships in the NLPS artbook for japan, so they took a bit of time to fluff up the story.

We already have Mitsu and Taki so I see absolutely no point in introducing characters like that. Unless they make them into something completely different than they were originally intended to be but that would be equal to introducing two new characters (which I hope they'll do anyways)

We don't need those two at all. We don't need any more clones, especially with all unique fighting style characters not being able to fit the roster without seasons of DLC as is, also we definitely don't need anyone replacing established fan favourites. Also should Seidou Nagumo and Setsu get new weapons, Project Soul might as well just make new characters saving themselves from getting needlessly restrained and dragged down in their creativity by old visual designs. Also nobody in their right mind would add in a character named Setsu into a franchise that already has a character named Setsuka in it, that would just confuse everyone for no good reason. Keep it simple.

Honestly, I really want to know more info about these two, like their personalities, backstories, etc. They don't have to be playable or even show up as NPCs. I just crave The Lore™.

visually how are they different from alternate outfits of Taki/Mitsurugi ?
Seidou did not become Mitsurugi's outfit, only Setsu's outfit that ended up being worn by Taki, in the same way that Sophitia ended up wearing Azola's costume and a few years later one's character became canonical, although a mere CaS.
latest
latest
latest

Seidou did not become Mitsurugi's outfit, only Setsu's outfit that ended up being worn by Taki, in the same way that Sophitia ended up wearing Azola's costume and a few years later one's character became canonical, although a mere CaS.
latest
latest
latest
i meant like non-changeable characteristics (so ignoring hair style / facial hair /outfits)
There's nothing that you would be able to tell apart for Seidou in a CAS outfit and Mitsu in the same CAS outfit other than having a very unique fighting stance. Seidou can't be another katana user (even dual katana ) because we already have mitsu / yoshi / haoh / 2B.

Back