Skyrim

"Games in the past were made better than this". This couldn't be further from the truth, my friend. Go back and revisit your favorite classic games with a fresh and unbiased perspective. Trust me, 10 year old games are not as fun as they were when we were younger.

I tried it with Doom, Quake, Final Fantasy Tactics (the only FF game I ever liked), older SC's, heck even Diablo 2 seems like a dumb game now (It's still way better than d3 though). None of these games were anywhere near as fun as I remember them being. Wanna know why? Cas' we didn't know any better, these were the best games for their times.

People change, old games don't.

On that last point you're right. And how fortunate that is. I think your problem is that you're trying this experiment out with the wrong games. Doom? Quake? Those were really little more than tech demos. Try to find a game where the selling point is the writing or the system and you'll generally get better mileage. I heartily endorse anyone try Fallout or Fallout Two. If you are the sort who enjoys a tactics game, then try out Jagged Alliance 2. They just made a new version that was utter shit, the ten year old version however still plays great. I much prefer starcraft to starcraft 2. And if you want to play an old first person shooter, you can still have a great time so long as you're playing something with a little depth like Deus Ex.

Times like these, it'd be best if J-Maw showed up, but I have a feeling he's keeping the answers hidden. He just told me its complicated is all. & that I need to know other things first besides going straight for the circumstances. However, judging from a players perspective of game wise, I'm pretty sure its just that game developers are just trying something new which ends up being a waste in the long run. Basicly speaking, wasting alot of memory into something that doesn't succeed in other areas, thus making the game pretty dull on other aspects of the game itself.

Take SCV for an example, most of its memory is wasted on Story Mode, even though its a poor story mode based off of the son of Sophitia. It weakened, CAS modes, other additional modes for offline, & made it less greatful. Or take Black Ops Zombies for an example (This is a good one right here), they wasted alot of memory into making tranzit & cared little for other maps regardless of DLC add-ons. There's only 3 maps & they don't have many rooms to explore. Sure you may come up with an excuse & say "Nobody hangs out their anyway" which is not the point of the purpose. The point of it is that it makes the player costumer stunned with excitement, captivated of its quallity, & entertained with high spirits. The rooms will be used anyway when rounds reach around 15 to 20. Your gonna have to, otherwise its your ass.

If I was to make those games, (I'm not saying I'm an expert of anything) I'd make sure the game came with alot of options, modes, & enforcements towards those two things. I wouldn't try any greedy tricks & cut half the quantity & make them pay for that (Dampierre)(NukeTown Zombies), I'd make sure I'd give them as many options as possible to keep players occupied for the next 6 months. Until I ever inevitably come up with an extension pack. Basicly my purpose would be to care 99% of the player costumer because when you got something like that under your thumb, imagine your ratings.

Good ratings from the base of a game, you know their definately gonna buy the expansion if your base is perfect.

On that last point you're right. And how fortunate that is. I think your problem is that you're trying this experiment out with the wrong games. Doom? Quake? Those were really little more than tech demos. Try to find a game where the selling point is the writing or the system and you'll generally get better mileage. I heartily endorse anyone try Fallout or Fallout Two. If you are the sort who enjoys a tactics game, then try out Jagged Alliance 2. They just made a new version that was utter shit, the ten year old version however still plays great. I much prefer starcraft to starcraft 2. And if you want to play an old first person shooter, you can still have a great time so long as you're playing something with a little depth like Deus Ex.
I play fallout 3 and I Love it!

I was struggling to buy it too; I figured in the long run, It's probably gonna be boring anyway, due to my character being brokenly over powered.

My buddy has all the DLC on his Xbox, and the infinite damage exploit with fortify restoration potions is still in the game. Why don't those idiots realize they screwed up and nerf alchemy/enchanting/smithing severely. It's a shame that all 3 of those are basically broken, with alchemy being the biggest contributer to the game's overall brokenness.

My buddy has all the DLC on his Xbox, and the infinite damage exploit with fortify restoration potions is still in the game. Why don't those idiots realize they screwed up and nerf alchemy/enchanting/smithing severely. It's a shame that all 3 of those are basically broken, with alchemy being the biggest contributer to the game's overall brokenness.
I very often ask myself the same question. Its shit like this what makes a man think "Hey, game developers are getting shittier by the hour." I whent to go revisit Oblivion & found out that the gameplay in terms of fighting on master difficulty is so balanced. Atleast in my perspective, cause I have an Orc warrior. Strong as fuck, but weaker then his enemies. The game forces me to play smart, because if I didn't I would die. I'm pretty sure there's something good about Skyrim though, that Oblivion doesn't have. Besides its graphics, but then again, Oblivion's got a better combat gameplay. Which is the ultimate deciding factor of Bethesda's games.

Oblivion sucked IMHO. After Morrowind, Oblivion was a major letdown. The game was basically unplayable till it was "fixed" by the Oblivion overhaul. Then it became addictive.

Skyrim imo is overall the best of the lot but Morrowind still has the place in my heart for introducing me to and immersing me in an Alien and fantastical world. Something which very few games, books or films are capable of doing or have done.

Of course, this is coming from someone who plays TES on the PC like its supposed to be. Mods are what really makes the games truly great.

Yeah but when you play on a console, there are no mods!

You should not have to "fix" your game in order for it to be playable. It should be playable and fairly balanced right out of the box. This is due to the laziness of testers of course.

I have a challenge for all of you. Play skyrim on master difficulty right from the beginning, but the catch is that you have to completely ignore smithing, alchemy, and enchanting.

Everything else is free game.

The only potions/poisons you use are the ones you buy/find.

The only enchanted gear you get to use is the stuff you buy/find.

No smithing whatsoever. Nada, zip.

And of course, no oghma infinium exploit.

I think I'm going to try this and see if it's even possible to play the game this way. It might be a tad too hard but IDK.

Yeah but when you play on a console, there are no mods!

You should not have to "fix" your game in order for it to be playable. It should be playable and fairly balanced right out of the box. This is due to the laziness of testers of course.
As somebody who has tested for games (mmo's) that came out broken as all shit I can tell you something from firsthand experience. It isn't always the testers. A lot of times a publisher wants something out faster than a team can do it, or a team's heart isn't in it so they just don't give a shit and sometimes a dev team is too optimistic. Don't JUST blame the testers, they need TIME to find stuff and they need all the features/encounters/areas/weapons whatever unlocked. You don't know how many times devs only test the first half of the game for instance. Why? Do they think this is an effective cost-cutting measure? I dunno. But there's probably more going on than you figure when a game is broken.

The very worst case scenario? Something is broken or wrong or a bad idea, you know it is broken or wrong or a bad idea, everyone knows it is broken or wrong or a bad idea and some idiot on the dev team thinks everyone else is wrong and he's right and it's a GREAT idea/mechanic what have you. Then the game ships the way mr massive ego envisioned it, and it sinks.

There is only so much persuasion you are allowed to do/you can do when you're testing something. Many games will probably just let you submit found bugs and that's it. I agree with the sentiment a game should be finished when it's actually released and not after though.

I have a challenge for all of you. Play skyrim on master difficulty right from the beginning, but the catch is that you have to completely ignore smithing, alchemy, and enchanting.

Everything else is free game.

The only potions/poisons you use are the ones you buy/find.

The only enchanted gear you get to use is the stuff you buy/find.

No smithing whatsoever. Nada, zip.

And of course, no oghma infinium exploit.

I think I'm going to try this and see if it's even possible to play the game this way. It might be a tad too hard but IDK.

I have to disappoint you, I have played the game like that many times :S It's actually how I play the game every time haha.

As a mage user I never cared about smithing. I could also care less about enchanting and alchemy. You can find tons of equipment that increases the magicka regeneration to such extent that you don't enchanting to lower spell cost (morokei mask, arch mages robes etc, of course I could use enchanting, but why make the game even easier?

I still think Impact perk is gamebreaking. They should remove it. It seems no matter what type of a character you play, there is always something broken and cheap, or gamebreaking. Sad...

you guys should come over to the dark souls! no matter how strong u are in that game you will never be invincible and any enemy can kill you :p

Mods are what really makes the games truly great.
No shit... Don't mods make all games greater then it is? n.n

Ever seen the Skyrim mods? I know what you mean when you said "immersing me in an Alien and fantastical world". That's the unique thing about Bethesda, if only their gameplay wasn't so retarded in terms of being brokenly overpowering for anyone to handle. When I first saw the Skyrim mods for the world (Despite the nudity & sexual shit), my mind was blown into not wanting to play Skyrim anymore cause mods made my gameplay look like total shit in comparison. The water was realistic, the sky was better, the enviorment killed, the settings on things were changed for better gameplay, etc.

Un-fuckin-believable...
Notice in this mod, the days are brighter & the nights are darker. The darker nights I find badass, because I'd finally have use for my "Mage light" or "Candle Light" spell. You'll see it in the beginning of the vid.

I still think Impact perk is gamebreaking. They should remove it. It seems no matter what type of a character you play, there is always something broken and cheap, or gamebreaking. Sad...
I can name alot of perks that are retarded. Impact is THEE most definately retarded one of them all. With that perk, I become an unstoppable Death Machine. I think one of Bethesda's biggest problem is the races. Who picks the cat, the lizard, & why the hell do you need to make 3 different humans (Nord, Breton, & Imperial) & 3 different elves? (High Elf, Wood Elf, & Dark Elf).

Wouldn't it be simplier if they'd just keep it human, elf, & orc? Those are the 3 basic races, I'd keep & make only. All the additional races are only a waste of space, Imo.

Human: Standard race, balanced stats & balanced in melee combat & ranged combat; weak with spells. Humans are great standard units that are naturally skilled soldiers.

Elf: Excell in elements & archery; weaker on melee combat, but can summon armor & weapons, instead of carrying one or wearing anything to weigh them down for compensation in close quarters combat. Elves are the stealthiest & quickest in their actions. Elves are known to be deadly for their mastery of the arcane arts & speed.

Orc: Juggernauts of the battlefield, they excell in melee combat better then both races. Can use Berserk to unleash devastating destruction with melee weapons, increasing attack power & defense power. Weak with spell usage & ranged combat such as archers.

That's how I'll do it! with all that memory saved from reducing races, who knows what I could of done with it? maybe add more character creation options such as hair styles, height, weight, & anything else out in Skyrim.

Every time I load up Skyrim, I'm like "Alright! Lets play!" And then a major quest gets bugged, or the inside of a building gets completely screwed over and just kills it for me. So I close it and play League of Legends...

I try so hard to get immersed in the game, but it always slaps me. lol

Back