So you want to learn Taki? (Instructional Videos for the Taki Enthusiast)

i don't wanna be a downer.. but since when did 22~88 = 22_88 ? are my notations not up to date?

Nah there is nothing wrong with your notations. That was just a notation I used when I explained stuff, I guess it's just a me thing.

And yea Marg you right I saw that too, youtube makes it look even funnier than what it was when I created it. I'll have a downloadable version where you can see the text better, but as of now I'm into chapter 4 and all of them have white text :(. I'll see what I can do to fix the later chapters.

Hrms. Couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.

I'm picking up Taki now as a secondary (it was because of FSAK, but I know neither she nor I will be ready by then) and I'm liking her a lot, but I have one question - is there anyway to go into FC out of PO~66 and hide the actual animation?

I'm picking up Taki now as a secondary (it was because of FSAK, but I know neither she nor I will be ready by then) and I'm liking her a lot, but I have one question - is there anyway to go into FC out of PO~66 and hide the actual animation?

Do you mean hiding the PO 66 animation or ... transitioning into FC out of PO 66 without highly obvious end lag? Transitioning so that you are tech or full crouching the whole time?

I don't know about PO 66 cancels other than 4_1, but you could PO 66 POR 4_1, then 2G. Or...

Hey, I guess you could PO 66 PORc 41236B (G cancellable) couldn't you, but that's not your question.

Either of these is probably very seeable.

Probably only a problem because I'm playing online right now, but what are some of the ways to keep Taki close after a further KD?

Another question: after shurikens, what are all of Taki's options and guaranteed damaged, if any? Especially at further ranges.

Well to answer your first question I don't think there's anyway you could go right into FC from PO 66 cancels.

PO cancels have the effect of you being in back-step so no matter what you will always rise up when doing PO cancel. The closest thing you can do is PO cancel and G2 in 1 Frame which will give you about 2~3 frames to go into FC after PO cancelling. It would be awesome if Taki could stay FC with a FC from a rush down since Rush downs are TC's, but alas she's not that special.

If you want to take a risk, 66K is probably your best option and probably one of the best closing moves on the game (excellent clutch attack to snag the round) but you pretty much guessing high or low rather to block.

Well to answer your second question I don't know what KD means, things that can close the gap with Taki are 6B and 33~99 ABBB. but your 6B catches step to the left and positions you forward. Both have a small window of frames on whiff also.

And for the third question, I don't think she has any garunteed damage after FC 1 A+B. She does have an 6 A+B tech trap when your opponent is near a wall on 1 A+B stun hit. Everything else is tech trap guessing, 1A, 44K, double bomb are a few options.

Tha Shogun did you mention anywhere in this thread that the use of bombs are useless in offline play unless there guaranteed inside a combo. Especially the use of the 4ab double bomb which can be completely stepped offline. The 6ab UB is COMPLETELY useless against a well trained opponent. I'm not downing any part of your instructional video or this thread only trying to assure the people who want to learn taki the right way don't use bombs in offline play. However, the bombs that can be used in offline play that you cannot step at all are the regular ab bomb and any variation of it IE: ab po cancel.

Why is there a single complaint about these videos(redundant/not new information)? Did you guys actually WATCH what the video contains?

It displays the move in animation, then shows the Frame data, input, impact height, and damage. All in a single, easy to watch video...instead of drolls of texts with possibly a back up video to show some of it...usually not all. Technically, all this information is on 8wayrun, but this is the most convieniant package it's been put in.

Very useful, and thanks for the contribution Shogun.

Tha Shogun did you mention anywhere in this thread that the use of bombs are useless in offline play unless there guaranteed inside a combo. Especially the use of the 4ab double bomb which can be completely stepped offline. The 6ab UB is COMPLETELY useless against a well trained opponent. I'm not downing any part of your instructional video or this thread only trying to assure the people who want to learn taki the right way don't use bombs in offline play. However, the bombs that can be used in offline play that you cannot step at all are the regular ab bomb and any variation of it IE: ab po cancel.

Well imo I don't feel bombs are completly useless in offline play, but you can't rely on them heavily for damage, even if they are one of her highest damage attacks. They can work, but the higher level of players you play, the less chances you have for them to work.

The best way Taki bombs can work offline from what I've seen is spacing. There's other ways they can work too, but sadly will not be explained to much into detail in the video, as for them to work they have to be used in certain ways against certain opponents. And since this video is trying to reach out to the aspects of Taki in general and not certain ways to play certain people,
every form really cannot be explained in a video.

As far as I know, the only bomb that is garunteed in a combo is 6 A+B on certain Tech Traps (FC 1 A+B against a floored opponent near a wall, every other bomb can be tech'ed out of or blocked).

Yea it is true about a+b bombs being extremely hard to be stepped, but it can be done. One of the things that will be shown in the video is the bombs range, but honestly if you AB PO cancel into an A+B bomb, there's a 90% chance that will not do damage. I could explain in detail why it's such a high % chance it won't, but I'll just say this,

with Taki, on any form of NH/CH attack usually your opponent will be on defense or attempting to do a form of fast attack. On NH, the amount of frames you are trying to work with are about i40 (the amount of frames needed to po rushdown cancel + i30 bomb) it usually takes an opponent about 10 frames to react to attacks (higher level players usually react in about as little as 6 frames) unless their doing attacks on anticipation, giving your po rushdown bomb about the same frame/set up feel as if you where just doing a standard bomb while your opponent is on block.

wait I said enough, i'll stop right there lol.

Hi!
I think bombs have another use too!
To punish verticals with slow execution after steppin them.

@ Tha_Shogun: KD means knock down.

@ Lost Providence: About shurikens (FC 1A+B) i think that further wake up depends on what attack knocked them down before hitting them with FC 1A+B. The best thing i've found is 8_9A, if the opponent chooses to stay down and gets hit by FC 1A+B, 44K is a guaranteed tech trap on most characters and only techable in one direction for the others (Ivy and Soph for example can tech better than others) in short 8_9A, FC 1A+B(not guaranteed), 44K

What's also nice is Hover B, FC A+KK, FC 1A+B(guaranteed), 88_22B (tech trap that's only escapable by tech to Taki's right or staying down) only the last hit of 22_88B would hit allowing you to juggle with the standard A6, WR B.
in short: HO B, FC 2A+KK, FC 1A+B, 88_22B, A6, WR B.

And A+B, A6, WR, FC 1A+B(not guaranteed, opponent must stay down), 4B(only avoidable by staying down)

Its all quite luck dependent. I hate Taki's wake up game.

@ Tha_Shogun again: What do you think about punishment? Taki is quite good at punishing and i've tried to make a punishment list:

http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/6090-Taki-Punishment-and-Interrupts.

but it was way too complicated and people didn't seem to be interested but what you did was really cool and showed me that people still love Taki. Would you be interested in working together and making a cool, easy to understand punishment list or even a punishment Video?

@ Tha_Shogun again: What do you think about punishment? Taki is quite good at punishing and i've tried to make a punishment list:

http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/6090-Taki-Punishment-and-Interrupts.

but it was way too complicated and people didn't seem to be interested but what you did was really cool and showed me that people still love Taki. Would you be interested in working together and making a cool, easy to understand punishment list or even a punishment Video?

Well as far as I've noticed, A:6 punishes almost everything on the game, especially if her back is against the wall (due to certain moves have knockback). There are alot of attacks that are -10 on block, and they can all get punished by this with great timing. Amy's 11B and Sophies 236236 B are two examples that get punished by this everytime.

This is sorta going off subject, on A:6 jf if you do wind roll on the last frame (yea, it's like a jf wr, but it has no flash lol) you can make BKB a tech trap. The only way it doesn't become a tech trap is if your opponent ukemi immediately after A:6 jf has connected. However, with all characters you can actually WR A+G/B+G for a TT grab to opponents who immediately do a rising or retreating ukemi after A:6 jf. Some characters you can even grab if they try to ukemi left and right for a side grab TT. Yea.....I friggin love this move lol. I'll try to explain in video what i'm talking about.

I was actually thinking of making an A:6 punisher vid after this instructional series to show how insanely good this move is, but I can make a punisher vid in general if need be, great idea.

Back