Something I just thought about (Regarding the FGC).

LP

Premium Member
What is really being to promote fighting games, to outside sources? I mean, not even to the great majority of people, but, like, people who actually play these games but don't come to places like 8wr, SRK, TZ, etc? Seriously, how do people come about these sites, streams, communities, etc? I'm pretty sure that I looked for stuff like this before I ever came to find out about these sites and ran into places like GameFAQs (I honestly don't even remember how I found out about 8wr...).

I think the free publicity would be in the big companies better interest, but that's me...but are there any ways that these types of things can get out to potential community members outside of word of mouth?

Well, in the UK FG tournaments are being held alongside certain PC tournament events, which is a great way for interest to cross over into the PC community, which is huge. I guess that's a start?

I know, back in the day, around the year 2000, I found out about SRK from people at the arcade. Same thing with the old soulcalibur.com forums. Telling people that you run into online about it (send random message to someone you destroy in ranked saying "l2p @ 8wayrun.com") is the only other way I can think of. It'd be pretty awesome if game producers would start including these websites in the instruction manuals, but that could reflect negatively on them should some people get their feelings hurt or something bad after they found out about it that way. So, it seems like the best and only way atm is by word of mouth.

I always make sure to put 8wayrun in my profile whenever I go somewhere. I don't have a lot of confidence in that working but every bit counts I guess.

I just checked putting "soulcalibur" and "soulcalibur v" in google and 8WR isn't on the first page of results

however, if you search for "soulcalibur community" it shows at the top of the first page

Lol i found a "sc tournament" flyer at the boys and girls club while i was doing community service. I showed up, got my ass beat in finals by ivylicious and was led to the old sc forums.

Ah, the good old days....i think that nowadays, a simple google search will direct anyone truly interested to the right spot.

I found out about SRK when I was still playing smash back in 2010 because of SRK tenancy to have a smash related article on there it's instant troll bail and a few threads on there when smash players were trying to prove to SRK folks that smash was a serious fighter and reading up on the issue. I found out about 8wayrun actually middle end of last year while being bored one day and watching tourney videos and watching the U.S vs France SCIV battle at NEC and enjoyed it.

I had a few people hound me for a few years. Since the early days of SC4 anyway. So, I was told about 8WR on XBL. Told I should join. I told them I didn't want to "geek it up". Plus, I liked beating people out of instinct instead of expertise. But SCV was a different case.

Gamefaqs happened to have peeps who came from 8wayrun back when I was still a scrub. Getting curious I checked out 8wayrun. I didn't join until someone introduced my older bro(who at the time was into SCIV) to this site. Back then, I was really timid than now. After my bro joined, I joined feeling more confident. Unlike my bro, I stayed and he left.

From there, it was just me slowly getting to where I am now. The only thing that I have to do left to get my name engraved in history, is participate in some offline tourneys(which I still dream about) and do my best. But that's after I make reality my bitch and fix the personal issues in my life first haha.

This'll be funny.

I found out about 8wr while doing a google search trying to find cheat codes back in august of '08. I had never particiapated in a forum before and had no clue what 8wr was about. Hell I didnt even know there was a competative scence for SC at all till I found this place.

Hell me and like 3 homies would have weekly battles with each other in SC2. We thought we were the best in the country at the time. Holy crap were we wrong!

After finding this place and seeing what goes on, after the first few days I was convinced this place was nothing but a bunch of nerds that I wouldnt be able to realate to in real life. Most yall, I still wont. But Today Im Maxi mod, one of the top 3 posters (big whop I know) and an avid member of this community. Rather I go to the ends of the earth to fight in tournies or not, I still consider myself a helping member of the FGC. Mostly by my support that I give.

I think I found out about soulcalibur.com from doing a lycos search for "soul calibur forum" in 1997 or 1998, because I had just discovered you could learn pretty much anything about anything by asking the right questions on a forum.

Then I just migrated with the community as we moved to guardimpact.com, then soulcalibur.com again, then caliburforum.com (didn't really participate too much in that one), and now 8wr.com

I found about 8WR when I was searching for alpha patroklos combos on google and on the first page of results was "Alpha Patroklos combo discussion" thread at 8wayrun.com, so I decide to check it out and liked how helpful it was.

But it wasn't till I was playing player matches and optymuss suggested I check out the page more, and so I did and liked it a lot and so I joined 8WR

What is really being to promote fighting games, to outside sources? I mean, not even to the great majority of people, but, like, people who actually play these games but don't come to places like 8wr, SRK, TZ, etc? Seriously, how do people come about these sites, streams, communities, etc? I'm pretty sure that I looked for stuff like this before I ever came to find out about these sites and ran into places like GameFAQs (I honestly don't even remember how I found out about 8wr...).

I think the free publicity would be in the big companies better interest, but that's me...but are there any ways that these types of things can get out to potential community members outside of word of mouth?
I've wondered the same thing. In the end, it seems like it's up to us as a community to make the community. This can be a problem, though. There are those who've formed recognition around their name, and can be bad reps for 8WR. I'm guilty of this, as is many. But, majority of people I meet, who I feel have potential, I'll inform on some tricks towards getting better and always refer them to 8WR.

It's kind of sad that there's no promotional objectives in a lot of our members. Maybe this will inspire some members to go seek out new recruits? Looks like we'll be needing it.

As for me, KrayzieCD and Lobo were the one's who informed me about 8wr via PSN. Thanks.

I've wondered the same thing. In the end, it seems like it's up to us as a community to make the community. This can be a problem, though. There are those who've formed recognition around their name, and can be bad reps for 8WR. I'm guilty of this, as is many. But, majority of people I meet, who I feel have potential, I'll inform on some tricks towards getting better and always refer them to 8WR.

It's kind of sad that there's no promotional objectives in a lot of our members. Maybe this will inspire some members to go seek out new recruits? Looks like we'll be needing it.

As for me, KrayzieCD and Lobo were the one's who informed me about 8wr via PSN. Thanks.
Already ahead of you. I went to a gamestop earlier today and was talking with a gamestop employee there and were talking about fighters and told him about this website. Hopefully he comes on 8wayrun and introduce and join the Nebraska SC scene. As for recruiting new kids Pocky-Yoshi pretty bomb at getting new folks welcome on here.

i remember a time when i would make fun of xeph and woahhzz on psn for being huge sc4 lag scrubs.

now i can't beat either of them. ever. :'(

the most important part of recruiting people to the FGC is having a good time offline. i found the albuquerque players back in 2002/2003 and started throwing parties with them where we'd play games and get shitbombed and go out and have a good time. that is what held my interest. i quickly learned that i didn't even have to play in tournaments to enjoy them. the atmosphere of like minded nerds who drink beer and go out and have a blast is what captivates me. i have very few fond memories of tournaments. it is usually grown men, whining about rules and not showering amd sitting around in folding metal seats watching incredibly boring crap. even as a fan of many of the games, i can't sit and watch a tournament.

lostprovidence, word of mouth is what we have. it is all we have. let's face it, video games aren't much fun to watch unless you really know what is going on. the money in it is...while getting better...laughable. the glory is just as trivial. all we can do to preach our word to those who may be interested and then do our best to demonstrate that participating isn't all frames and rules and tiers and shit; it is a damn good time.

I remember when SCIV first came out I played it non-stop. I had rented the previous games in the past from a movie store and really enjoyed trying to mash my way through story mode and beating the game. However, when I went online for SCIV I was hooked. I couldn't stop playing the game. I had made some of my own tactics I thought I had made up and had rated myself pretty high amongst the other mashers out there. At the time I was repping Yoshimitsu because I loved playing Tekken 3 with my friend, and seeing Yoshi was pretty damn cool. I remember barely beating someone who I could see was clearly better than I was (I defined good as doing long combos at the time lol) and I sent him a GG.I then got a message saying something along the lines of lagging him to death was gay or something.

I was a bit confused as to what he meant. So I went on google and searched "Lagging in Soul Calibur 4" and I found a forum topic dedicated to naming lag lows and other online no-nos. I laughed thinking it was bullshit, but i clicked anyway and sure enough it was 8wayrun. I kinda skimmed through the topic, and decided to see what other nonesense they may have had on here. Well.... I found out alot of really helpful tips and tricks in the Soul Arenas. I wanted to share what knowledge I had too, so I made an account back in 2009.

Of course, I got my verbal lashings on what is right and wrong about SCIV while trying to help out, but I took it as a sign that I really could improve..and well..here I am now.

It was a long trip of learning how to play the game by myself though, but I'm glad I did.

Fighting games are so insubstantial. If you don't play SC5 competitively then there is literally no reason to play it whatsoever. No one likes getting their ass whooped unless they are some raging masochist with a large variation of female CaS's. It's also not like a team game where you can just sit along and enjoy it with others and it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

Also the advert for Soul Calibur was......girly. You get the Tekken advert with motor bikes and explosions and punches which destroy the floor around them and what does Soul Calibur get? "I'm sorry mother." lol who were they aiming at? Honestly. If they want to see how a trailer is done, they should take lessons from Crapcom, RE6 trailer is amazing.

I was directed here from freaky-styley because i wanted in on those nifty sciv online tournaments from back in 09. I made it to like semi finals and got 1a'd to death by lobos caspamdra. I stayed and became a mod somehow.

Back