66B/4B F/B/G

WS [A+B] - TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B/4B F/B/G

A+K - TAS AA F/B/L. R on RFF.
66B/4B F/B/G

CH 8A+K - TAS AA F/B/L/R
3B F/B/R/G

8A+KB(grounded hit) - 1[K] F/B/L/R/G

22A (right side) - TAS AA F/B/L. R on RFF.
66B/4B F/B/G
B2 Series G

88A (left side) - TAS AA F/B/L. R on RFF.
66B/4B F/B/G

33B - TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B/4B F/B/G

22B(or 22{B}) - TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B/44B F/B/G
8B+K F/B/L/R Causes stagger stun.

CH 44K - 1[K] F/B/L/R
66B/4B F/B/G

66A+B - 66B F/B/L/G
44B+K R/G (must have hit 66A+B very close)

66B+KA(CH 2nd hit) - TAS AA F/B/L. R on RFF.
4B F/B/G

66B+KAB - TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B/4B F/B/G

44B+K(with nearby wall or edge) - TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B/4B F/B/G

AS K - 66A F/B. R on RFF. L on LFF
4B F/B/R/G
1K F/L/G
66B F/B/G

AS~S K - TAS AA F/B/L. R on RFF.
66B/4B F/B/G

TAS AA - 1A F/B/L/R/G
TAS AA F/B/L/R
66B F/B/G

Notation:
F - Catches Front Tech
B - Catches Back Tech
L -Catches Left Tech
R - Catches Back Tech
G - Hits Grounded
*Left and Right here are given from Sophie's perspective.

LFF - Character who leads with left foot in neutral stance
RFF - Character who leads with right foot in neutral stance
FD - Opponent is teching from face-down
AS - Angel Step
AS~S - Angel Step Sidestep
TAS - Twin Angel Step

/Editted by Suirad/

Hey - what exactly is a tech trap? lots of moves can't be "teched," but what makes it a trap?

Also, a bit off topic bibulus, but in one of your tourney match videos posted by Jaxel you kept following up 66B with 22_88A. Why?

I've got some additions, give me some feedback if these work (or don't) for you.

Keep in mind some of these you have to wait for (watchout not to telegraph) or perform really fast and some 44B won't work because they are too far away.

CH 44K, WS [A+B] and A+B > GI A can start the same TTs as mentioned above.
as brewtus mentioned in another thread 4AB leads into them also.
44B+K will work if there is a game wall within about 3 sophitia lengths or less(nonstandard units I know)
and out to 5 if they don't tech right.
33B and 66B+KAB set them up too, but you have to forgo your normal followup.

Additionally, even though these set-ups can't cover every angle, I thought it best to include them anyway.
after A+K 236236AA catches forward/normal/left and 66B catchs no tech/forward/back/normal
by extension A+B > GI K does as well.
after 236K 66B catchs no tech/forward/back/normal if you started close enough. Additionally 66A catches F/B/N/R
The same is true of 9A.
after 1A 236236AA catches forward/left/right/normal and also back if you started close enough. 4B catches no tech, F/B/N

On another note for 22A and 88A I seem to be able to tech 236236AA to the right, I don't know if this is a patch change or it's a timing issue on my part.
Another one that works like this is 236,2_8,K.
After CH 1K 66B only hits no tech now.

/edit/ With the 22_88As problem of not catching right doesn't occurs on characters with one of the two teching types, like Sophie but it does on others like Nightmare or Astaroth. If you know they'll tech right to get out 6K(11), 44A(18) or 3A+B(10) will catch , but meh.

/edit/ What type they are for these purposes is designated by the foot the character leads with. Left foot forward characters can tech 236236AA to Sophie's right after 22_88A and 4AB.

Hey - what exactly is a tech trap? lots of moves can't be "teched," but what makes it a trap?

Also, a bit off topic bibulus, but in one of your tourney match videos posted by Jaxel you kept following up 66B with 22_88A. Why?

I know this is a late response and you probably got it already, but just in case: A tech trap is a set-up where you punish an opponent for teching after hitting the ground. When an opponent stands up quickly (Techs) they are not allowed to block for part of the animation. If you throw an attack which hits at those moments (and follows the direction of their tech) you get free damage.

Although I do not pretend to know the thoughts of BB, I would venture that since 66B is only -2 on block(but looks like much more) 22A was thrown to defeat people retorting with their quick linear moves since it Tech Steps. 22A giving the dangerous Tech Trap situation on hit and at the time destroying gauge on block is/was a very relevent move to play games with.

Also, not too useful but...if opponent techs to Sophies left after 4B+K 236236B catches.

22A (right side) - 236236A,A is a catch all
66B and 4B catch no tech and forward/normal/backwards techs

88A (left side) - 236236A catches all techs
66B/44B catch no tech/forward/backwards/normal techs

22B - 236236A catches all techs

1K CH - 236236A catches all techs

im not sure if i did these right but ima post them on youtube

Well I think you did it too late on the first one, but yes and I think you can block the third one, but I wont have time to test till tonight. The second one is exactly what it should look like.

/edit/ They aren't teching on the 3rd one so they can block it.

/edit/ Thanks for creditting me on there by the way.

Got a Couple more
236236AA - 1A Catchs all techs and no tech if timed right.
B2 series also catches all tech and no tech.
RCC helpful but not necessary on those two.
236236AA catches Forward/back/left/normal and right on right foot forward characters.

On face down opponent B2: B: B: B - 236236AA catches all techs

If only Sophie could give people a reason to stand up 236236AA > 1A > 236236AA would be a continued threat.

/edit/ 236236AA - 1A does catch tech to Sophie's left on right foot forward characters, but timing is very tight.

I know this is a late response and you probably got it already, but just in case: A tech trap is a set-up where you punish an opponent for teching after hitting the ground. When an opponent stands up quickly (Techs) they are not allowed to block for part of the animation. If you throw an attack which hits at those moments (and follows the direction of their tech) you get free damage.

Although I do not pretend to know the thoughts of BB, I would venture that since 66B is only -2 on block(but looks like much more) 22A was thrown to defeat people retorting with their quick linear moves since it Tech Steps. 22A giving the dangerous Tech Trap situation on hit and at the time destroying gauge on block is/was a very relevent move to play games with.

Also, not too useful but...if opponent techs to Sophies left after 4B+K 236236B catches.

Thanks for answering my question, I couldn't find any good description of "tech traps" anywhere. As for 66B 22_88A, I already implemented this into my game after seeing how useful it was.

This also ends some confusion I was having when I was getting hit when clearly holding G right before they hit me, but taking damage because I was either rolling or got tech-trapped.

66B+KA CH on second hit - 236236AA catches F/B/L/R/N on characters leading right foot, F/B/L/N on left foot forward characters.
4B hits F/B/N and grounded

When 1A hits grounded opponents the second A will catch F/B/N

Here's one that likely wont have much practical usage, but all the same:
33A+B(Sheild hit only) - 1[K] F/N/B/L/R/G
236236K will also tech trap most directions(Amusing but that's about it).
You can run the standard TAS A / 66B if you wait a little bit.

Also CH 44K - 1[K] F/N/B/L/R/G

CH 8A+K - TAS AA F/N/B/L/R
3B F/N/B/R/G

Also CH 8A+KA F/N/B/L/R is somewhat easier due to unfriendly buffering of TAS AA

How are you going to counterhit someone with 8A+K? Don't ask me...

After CH 1K/1[K] and 22A, the B2 Series will catch no tech.

JF B2 Series being easily Sophie's highest damage grounded hit (47Da) makes the tech situation much stronger against a number of characters. Note first that Asta, Voldo(BT ok) and Vader rarely get hit by the 236B at the end and second that if you catch a character while they are off-axis or backturned it could prevent the initial strikes from hitting or once again cause problems with the finishing stab.

/edit/ after 22A B2 will not catch grounded on Lizardman.

The tech trap data listed on the front post has been gathered well. HOWEVER, I don't find it very practical. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 types of tech trap effects (see below). Anyway, I find it easier to play mind games this way. Example:

After landing 66A+B or 4AB;
1. Immediately use 66B if you think opponent will roll to your right (25 dmg)
2. Immediately use 44B+K if you think opponent will roll to your left (25 dmg)
[Or, if opponent lays still, 66B is guaranteed to hit]

After landing 22A or 9A;
1. Run up and use WS [A+B] if you think opponent will roll left/right
2. Relaunch with 66B if you think opponent will hold guard instantly
[Or, if opponent pauses to stand up, WS [A+B] is a good 50/50]

Note: The difference between a tech trap like 66A+B and 22A is that, 66A+B allows the opponent to roll instantly if they hold guard + direction... and 22A allows the opponent to stand instantly if they hold guard. Each tech trap gives your foe different recovery, which is why you have a viable mixup only in some cases (like my example above). On that note, I'm open to other mixups if you notice anything just as good.

(This is summarized in the first post) Character specific, but on characters that lead their right foot TAS AA cannot be blocked if they stand up immediately in any direction after 4AB and 66B will hit grounded and any attempt to stand quickly that isnt to the side.

Also there is a list of characters who cannot tech(and are ground hit) by 1A after 4AB which I've posted in the combo section(http://www.8wayrun.com/showpost.php?p=90587&postcount=109).

Most characters who stay grounded after 4AB can be hit by the JF B2 series, but I haven't gotten around to making the post about that yet because there are a lot of specifics...

/edit/ Also opponent's who are ground-rolling(side to side) can typically block are they unable too specifically after 66A+B/4AB?

Back