Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you all prefer that they simply retell the events of SoulCalibur (and beyond), adding some new details and scenarios without altering the overall course of the story, or would you prefer that they alter history, leading to different events? Like some character travels back in time, or someone has a MK9 Raiden style premonition and seeks to change the future?

Would you all prefer that they simply retell the events of SoulCalibur (and beyond), adding some new details and scenarios without altering the overall course of the story, or would you prefer that they alter history, leading to different events? Like some character travels back in time, or someone has a MK9 Raiden style premonition and seeks to change the future?
The latter looks more interesting to me.

Oh yeah definitely i can see them reveal the 2 at same time, can't wait for both!
Excellent. If SC6 os actually going to tell us the story of multiple games, we'll get lots of character reveals until the release, the more, the merrier.

I won't even lie. That would actually be tremendously hilarious if Kawano draws a non-threatening kitten as hers.
I think cats are spiritual protectors in some cultures, so, it makes a lot of sense in a game about souls.

I can't see Amy invoking the ancient power of a butterfly in battle though lol. Unless they are going with its meso-american symbolism of being an icon of rain and fire. In Mexico they also represent homosexuality - maybe Amy is the true gay icon we need.
Call me sexist if you want, but if the franchise would have a gay icon, it should be a male. In a franchise where women are quite sexualized, having a gay woman will only feel, for a lot of people, at least, like another reason for sexy stuff between her and another woman, even if thats not the intention. With a man, however, it feels like something different, since people cannot use the sexualization complaint against it. Regardless, we kinda have potential LGBTQ characters in the franchise: Voldo has a crotch to the face attack he can only perform on men and his relationship with Vercci hints at a gay sex master-slave relationship, also, since the Alexander/Alexandra family follow old greek deities, despite being from the Otoman Empire, its safe to say they don't even see difference between heterosexuality or homosexuality (seriously, ancient greeks didn't have words to differentiate that), so they may all be bisexual.

Or maybe a third option, where the events stay mostly on track up to a certain point (like say, SC to SCIII) before, perhaps due to the accumulation of smaller changes, history diverges onto a distinctly new course?

I'd prefer them to stick to the already known history, adding new details etc, but just flesh everything out a lot more, make us care about the characters etc, change a few personalities cough cough Patroklos cough cough and when ultimately a character is killed off in the canon story... keep them in the roster for online and not-story-mode offline play.

I'd rather pretend nothing in SC5 ever happened. Time travel will imply it did, and I'd hate to keep that repulsive story and those repulsive versions of Sophitia's kids in the canon.

The latter makes for a more interesting story and new possibilities/characters. It re-opens the franchise if it gets rid of most of SCV and changing SCIV.

Call me sexist if you want, but if the franchise would have a gay icon, it should be a male. In a franchise where women are quite sexualized, having a gay woman will only feel, for a lot of people, at least, like another reason for sexy stuff between her and another woman, even if thats not the intention. With a man, however, it feels like something different, since people cannot use the sexualization complaint against it. Regardless, we kinda have potential LGBTQ characters in the franchise: Voldo has a crotch to the face attack he can only perform on men and his relationship with Vercci hints at a gay sex master-slave relationship, also, since the Alexander/Alexandra family follow old greek deities, despite being from the Otoman Empire, its safe to say they don't even see difference between heterosexuality or homosexuality (seriously, ancient greeks didn't have words to differentiate that), so they may all be bisexual.

Homosexuality in Ancient Greece is called Pederasty, and was more of a rite of passage for very young boys to be 'looked after' by adults, rather than an actual way of life. Submissive gay men in Ancient Greece were looked down on, and often outcast from society, which means the only option for SC to show a gay Greek man would be either to show a 14 year old boy or a macho 34 year old pedophile. I doubt that would go down well.

Regarding your complaints about a female gay icon - almost all mainstream gay icons are females, we have Diana Ross, Madonna, Beyoncé, Judy Garland, Bette Davis, Cher.. etc. Being a gay icon isn't about the sexuality of the person, it's just about their contributions, representation, support and appeal to the LGBT community and women usually fit that role because we relate to them more.

You said that having a female gay icon would only promote the idea of it being purely sexual, but then went on to say the only remaining candidate is identifiable as a gay icon because of sex? Also, I don't want a faceless gay representative who has no speech anyway, that's dehumanizing at best.

Having said that, I would personally love a male gay icon, as long as they were done right - most gay SC players don't play as males because all their personalities are jarring to us and we can't relate to them, that's why we love the girls. With PS's past of strict archetypical male characters though, I don't see a male gay icon in our future.

Last edited:
Sophitia looks really great in that trailer, i got the vibe of Old School Soul Calibur, and not only because of the costume but the overall.

most gay SC players don't play as males because all their personalities are jarring to us and we can't relate to them, that's why we love the girls.
That's a good theory ^^ To be honest I play Ivy because I like her boobs xD (typically what the Japanese call "ecchi")

Actually I like my female fighters to be aggressive and my male fighters to be a bit more "gracious"... Whenever I can play a video game with character creation like, for example, Guild Wars 2, my magicians are male and my warriors are female.

Reactions: Ave
That's a good theory ^^ To be honest I play Ivy because I like her boobs xD (typically what the Japanese call "ecchi")

Actually I like my female fighters to be aggressive and my male fighters to be a bit more "gracious"... Whenever I can play a video game with character creation like, for example, Guild Wars 2, my magicians are male and my warriors are female.

Yeah lol my other point was 'we just fucking love supporting hot girls' but didn't think it matched the tone of the rest of what I was saying.

When I play Guild Wars 2 I spend all my time dyeing my outfits rather than actually fighting so I don't have time to think about the relation between class and gender lmfao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back