Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined the forums today :) Been a big fan of SoulCalibur since SCII and so far SCIII has been my all time favourite due to the huge amount of characters, game modes, unlockables etc. and Chronicles of the Sword remains one of my favourite things in a game to date. I miss that level of quality. It seems that the longer time goes on, the less content we are given :/

SCVI is looking amazing so far both visually and mechanically. I thought my passion for the series died with SCV but as soon as I saw the trailers and extended gameplay videos, it's pretty much all I can think about , lol.

Been reading through Verge's leaks on here though and I am both excited but worried about a few things.

I really hope the "SCII-V characters being DLC" thing is wrong. I don't mind a couple of DLC characters here and there and am happy to buy them if they're fairly priced, but I feel like this is all developers do these days, hold back content they've already finished in order to make more money. I wouldn't mind so much if the DLC was brand new stuff they made post-release or if the starting roster didn't look so tiny :(

If Maxi really is gonna be gay, my friend will be devastated XD she's been in love with him since SCI.

I'm very disappointed if Amy is being replaced with Viola. I never understood the point of them doing that in SCV. Viola's a great character in appearance, personality and playstyle for sure but not at the expense of another character. I mained Amy (and Kilik) in SCIV and was pretty devastated that BOTH were missing in SCV in some form (yeah we got Xiba and he was ok but he's no Kilik).

If anything I'd rather Amy/Viola just take up one character slot and you can switch between the two but I doubt they'd do that :(

My dream SC game would have the entire roster from all 5 games and with all of their outfits. I've never understood the point of removing characters from fighting games (unless MAYBE they're dead in the story but even then it seems unnecessary). I understand they would struggle to fit them all into the "story" but why should they have to? Predominantly people just play for the combat (don't get me wrong, I love SC for the story too), so they should just include all the characters, but have the story focus on whoever they want it to focus on. Seems a shame to leave some characters (and thus, some players) out of the experience by taking them away.

I am totally biased though, because I love nothing more than games with an ass-ton of characters to pick from, so it's just me. I'll enjoy the game regardless but it's hard not to be disappointed with the roster size when the series has so many great characters and styles.

Hopefully we'll get more leaks/reveals soon. Was hoping for something around Christmas but I guess Bamco are taking well-earned breaks, lol. Maybe after the new year we'll get something :)

Last edited:
They always show something each month, though they have skipped some out for some reason.

I don't think we'll get anything in the next few days because they're probably on holiday.

It does my heart well to see Setsuka being more popular than I realized. Shes so damn cool and is the only character i care about being in 6 after Mitsu, Xianghua, and Ivy. I feel like those 3 are guaranteed and mitsu is already playable lol

Sophitia being dead in SCV's story and Setsuka being unjustly replaced by Pat just to make him super cool were 2 of the stupidest things Project Soul ever did. I'm glad Pat is NEVER coming back. Xianghua will have Leixia damage and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm guessing it was mostly casual players who voted in Namco's survey and core fans who voted in this new one because you can see some big differences like Talim barely making the top 10 and Cervantes scoring a lot higher.

The Talim people are known to have ballot-stuffed that pill to hell and back. She just has a very vocal base of fans, but I'd she wasn't even in the top 12 most played characters in SCIV.

Talim is trash and will be still terrible in SCVI.

Last edited:
Just joined the forums today :) Been a big fan of SoulCalibur since SCII and so far SCIII has been my all time favourite due to the huge amount of characters, game modes, unlockables etc. and Chronicles of the Sword remains one of my favourite things in a game to date. I miss that level of quality. It seems that the longer time goes on, the less content we are given :/

SCVI is looking amazing so far both visually and mechanically. I thought my passion for the series died with SCV but as soon as I saw the trailers and extended gameplay videos, it's pretty much all I can think about , lol.

Been reading through Verge's leaks on here though and I am both excited but worried about a few things.

I really hope the "SCII-V characters being DLC" thing is wrong. I don't mind a couple of DLC characters here and there and am happy to buy them if they're fairly priced, but I feel like this is all developers do these days, hold back content they've already finished in order to make more money. I wouldn't mind so much if the DLC was brand new stuff they made post-release or if the starting roster didn't look so tiny :(

If Maxi really is gonna be gay, my friend will be devastated XD she's been in love with him since SCI.

I'm very disappointed if Amy is being replaced with Viola. I never understood the point of them doing that in SCV. Viola's a great character in appearance, personality and playstyle for sure but not at the expense of another character. I mained Amy (and Kilik) in SCIV and was pretty devastated that BOTH were missing in SCV in some form (yeah we got Xiba and he was ok but he's no Kilik).

If anything I'd rather Amy/Viola just take up one character slot and you can switch between the two but I doubt they'd do that :(

My dream SC game would have the entire roster from all 5 games and with all of their outfits. I've never understood the point of removing characters from fighting games (unless MAYBE they're dead in the story but even then it seems unnecessary). I understand they would struggle to fit them all into the "story" but why should they have to? Predominantly people just play for the combat (don't get me wrong, I love SC for the story too), so they should just include all the characters, but have the story focus on whoever they want it to focus on. Seems a shame to leave some characters (and thus, some players) out of the experience by taking them away.

I am totally biased though, because I love nothing more than games with an ass-ton of characters to pick from, so it's just me. I'll enjoy the game regardless but it's hard not to be disappointed with the roster size when the series has so many great characters and styles.

Hopefully we'll get more leaks/reveals soon. Was hoping for something around Christmas but I guess Bamco are taking well-earned breaks, lol. Maybe after the new year we'll get something :)

All that is good my friend and I know how you felt with SC5, but having a fighting game with like 100 characters will just make the game a real mess with a bunch of them being literally unplayable or straight up broken.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record at this point (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before) but the SCII-V DLC thing bugs me too. I'm worried they're going to release them in a yearly seasonal style similar to SFV and Marvel Infinite or even Gundam Versus. I don't know how people as a whole feel about this model, but I am not a particular fan of it to be honest. The whole thing just feels like a risky move to me after V's cuts, and I imagine there are a lot of butthurt fans for specific characters out there or even just people who straight up hate the idea of being sold older characters as DLC that they may feel belong in the game at launch. The idea of stretching a game out over several years via seasonal DLC could prove to be the wrong move. Aren't there quite a few people from the Tekken fanbase who are also salty over Lei, Julia, and Anna too?

Again sorry if I am repeating myself or interrupting another discussion. It's just a thought I had while I sitting here reading some posts and saw that mentioned again. I'll go back to lurking...

Sorry if I sound like a broken record at this point (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before) but the SCII-V DLC thing bugs me too. I'm worried they're going to release them in a yearly seasonal style similar to SFV and Marvel Infinite or even Gundam Versus. I don't know how people as a whole feel about this model, but I am not a particular fan of it to be honest. The whole thing just feels like a risky move to me after V's cuts, and I imagine there are a lot of butthurt fans for specific characters out there or even just people who straight up hate the idea of being sold older characters as DLC that they may feel belong in the game at launch. The idea of stretching a game out over several years via seasonal DLC could prove to be the wrong move. Aren't there quite a few people from the Tekken fanbase who are also salty over Lei, Julia, and Anna too?

Again sorry if I am repeating myself or interrupting another discussion. It's just a thought I had while I sitting here reading some posts and saw that mentioned again. I'll go back to lurking...

DLCs are fine, but then they won't have any excuse to bring back ALL the f*ing characters from the entire series, yes even Grandall Kappa

Aren't there quite a few people from the Tekken fanbase who are also salty over Lei, Julia, and Anna too?
They were (an still are) salty not because those three are not in "base" roster, but because apparently we won't even ever get tham as DLC.
They are just totally not in the roster, period. And that what's terrible about this situation.
The idea of stretching a game out over several years via seasonal DLC
Is awesome when done right. If we're gonna have a decent amount of content and more or less decent roster in the base game, then having multiple seasons of DLC that add stuff on top of that would be great.
It's always better than just being abandoned by developers half-year later like SCV.

Yeah, I doubt it. 4.483 votes in total, that is much less than the ones voted for the official poll.

Do you know how many have voted for the official poll? :o

Edit: Plus yeah the official poll gave you only one choice, and that changes a lot.

If we're gonna have a decent amount of content and more or less decent roster in the base game, then having multiple seasons of DLC that add stuff on top of that would be great.
It's always better than just being abandoned by developers half-year later like SCV.

This is true and you're right. Sorry if I'm coming off as being too negative or anything, I'm just always paranoid about devs or publishers abusing these sorts of things, especially with EA's shenanigans as of late. But yeah you're right it could be a good thing if done right. I'll try to stay cautiously optimistic for now and try to keep my mind more open to the idea. (I hope I did this quote thing correctly)

My main personal issue with the Seasonal thing is just being a broke college student I have neither the time or money to unlock new DLC characters in games that let you unlock characters with ingame currency the more you play/if you got the money just pay for them. But that's just me lol...

DLC is fine, as long as its done right. As I said here before, DLC is meant to be additional content, not a part of the game that was cut for us to pay more for it. That is why games like MKX and Injustice 2 are not a problem, even with all their DLC, if you buy the base game, you already feel like you have a complete game, because both have solid rosters, and a really good ammount of single player content, not to mention that they also released MKXL and Injustice 2 Premium (I think that was the name), which essentially leads to all DLC being included, so people wouldn't have issues with it.

SFV messed things up because it had absolutely nothing at release aside from its DLC, it was called Early Alpha by players because of that, it was not a full game, it was a setup for a game, that you had to buy stuff or wait for updates to get it, it had a small roster, crap single player content, lacked an Arcade Mode, which is the most basic thing that a fighting game should have, and, worst of all, at release it had many online issues, so the only thing people could care for was also messed up, Capcom was always lazy and greedy, making the worst decisions possible in almost every situation.

If SC6 follows MKX and Injustice 2's formula for the whole game (as it seems to be following MK9 with the story), it will feel complete at release and DLC will feel like cool additional content, regardless of how much it has. Since it says its gonna have a lot of story and "going back to its roots", maybe they intend to bring other additional modes as well, and it will make for good single player content. We'll have to wait before judging.

DLC is fine, as long as its done right. As I said here before, DLC is meant to be additional content, not a part of the game that was cut for us to pay more for it. That is why games like MKX and Injustice 2 are not a problem, even with all their DLC, if you buy the base game, you already feel like you have a complete game, because both have solid rosters, and a really good ammount of single player content, not to mention that they also released MKXL and Injustice 2 Premium (I think that was the name), which essentially leads to all DLC being included, so people wouldn't have issues with it.

SFV messed things up because it had absolutely nothing at release aside from its DLC, it was called Early Alpha by players because of that, it was not a full game, it was a setup for a game, that you had to buy stuff or wait for updates to get it, it had a small roster, crap single player content, lacked an Arcade Mode, which is the most basic thing that a fighting game should have, and, worst of all, at release it had many online issues, so the only thing people could care for was also messed up, Capcom was always lazy and greedy, making the worst decisions possible in almost every situation.

If SC6 follows MKX and Injustice 2's formula for the whole game (as it seems to be following MK9 with the story), it will feel complete at release and DLC will feel like cool additional content, regardless of how much it has. Since it says its gonna have a lot of story and "going back to its roots", maybe they intend to bring other additional modes as well, and it will make for good single player content. We'll have to wait before judging.

I'm actually glad that Injustice 2 won the fighting game of the year, maybe that will push other developers to try and mimic what that game did :p

I have the feeling Namco will try to have at least some single player modes on launch, because both Tekken and SF got shit for having none, I would be too worried as of now.

On the subject of DLC, I actually think that, sadly, to make a bigger profit they will have to add, DLC will also allow for a longer time spawn, which is always nice, I expect most of it to be cosmetic stuff, like revamped costumes and such.

I'm actually glad that Injustice 2 won the fighting game of the year, maybe that will push other developers to try and mimic what that game did :p
Maybe its already pushing SC6. Ironically enough, one of SFV's developers said that the idea of including story modes in SFV and MvC:I came from Mortal Kombat and Injustice. I remember the interview saying "we had to copy that somehow", and they failed miserably, as SFV's story is incredibly mediocre and doesn't compensate the lack of an Arcade Mode or the small roster, and MvC:I's story feels like bad fan fiction and also doesn't compensate the lack of X-Men and wanted Capcom characters in the roster. Lets hope that, if SC6 is being inspired by Injustice 2, they do things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back