Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want Goth girls, (can't never have enough :p) and uses a Rapier since Amy is out.
But to be honest they could change Viola's origine to Idian or Middle Eastern I think that suit more her oracle desing, kinda like Menat from SF5. I think that would be a smart decision.
Or Romanian. Fortune telling has huge connotations with Romanians (Romany Gypsies)

To continue off of my previous comment, when it comes to weapons, Voldo already uses Katars (which is a South Asian/considered an Indian weapon) so, if an Indian character would get added at some point, barring them just giving them something outside the box and not ethnic/cultural, or something anachronistic like nunchaku for Li-Long and Maxi, then choices dwindle a little down what an Indian character would most logically uses to...
Gada (the Indian Mace):
f91579adaa116c9505559d9d64f22ded.jpg

main-qimg-34cb116d98ff2246241d4755f7bd07ba-c

This just feels like the most likely direction they'd go.
This would be something in which case the character wields two Gadas and uses the martial art Gada-Yuddha, and I imagine to add some more animated flair to their animations and personality, bellydance inspired fighting style that attacks with them, because.... why wouldn't they if female? They're basically akin to wielding deadly maracas. lol

The Trishula (aka the Indian Trident, it's a short handled weapon, but can be mounted on a danda/staff to extend its length as seen in the pictures below):
Shiva%20Trishul.png

large.jpg

It's typically seen as and considered a trident (short or long handled) with a drum sometimes attached to it.

Or Chakrams, though Tira technically uses an oversized hula hoop version of one already:

Otherwise, there's some things like the Maduvu (a shield with detachable blades on the sides), Pata (the gauntlet sword), or the Bagh Nahk (which would be a fist based style ala Heihachi and Devil Jin, which is a mileage may vary thing with some people)

If a Middle Eastern or Turkish character, then it pretty much would probably come down to a Scimitar (or two) or a curved Ottoman styled sword (which could finally give us a straightforward one-handed sword moveset like how people have wanted for a while)

Last edited:
They do, but maybe they're minority.

I liked her too, but i got sick of Harada keep changing her origins in depends of the complainers, now her creator himself don't know where she's from, silly isn't?
You know that the minority speaks louder than the others. We have nothing to complain about so we don't let them know that we like that character.
I usually refuse stuff like that, so even if in my case I know, Amy is pretty much dead if I believe what Vergeben said, I'm not gonna go spam Okubo's Twitter and FB I accept it even if that makes me sad or mad xD

I'm s
till not going to believe that Amy or Seong Mi-na are out until we get full confirmations one way or the other about it. If either of them are cut, but then we do get a new female character, it will be unavoidable to make the link that "we got her instead of the classic character", and so we'll have to make the distinction between whether or not we like the new character or whether or not the new character is better or worse than Amy or Seong Mi-na and whether or not it was a worthy replacement. In other words, the same situation that Patroklos/Pyrrha/Leixia/Natsu/Xiba were in.

We've always had less female characters than male characters, so making cuts to that side of the roster has always hurt more than cutting male characters. Both are negatives, don't get me wrong, but unless they bring back both Amy and Seong Mi-na (as well as all the other female characters), it may be a wiser decision that both new characters are male. I'm curious as to the implications of identity for the father and son, too, and how they'll work within the story. If they do end up cutting any female characters, they better have a really good reason for doing so, or we'll have a repeat of outrage like we saw with SoulCalibur V.
I wish I was enthusiastic and positive thinking as you are, but after the rollercoaster that was SC5 cast I just don't want to bother. Cuz you know.. hope only brings disappointment :p
Plus a lot of people already like more Viola so her remplacement is "worthy" :/

You know that the minority speaks louder than the others. We have nothing to complain about so we don't let them know that we like that character.

Definitely, but fortunately i think devs are already aware about this.

I usually refuse stuff like that, so even if in my case I know, Amy is pretty much dead if I believe what Vergeben said, I'm not gonna go spam Okubo's Twitter and FB I accept it even if that makes me sad or mad xD

I wouldn't say chances for Amy are dead, tho she has very low chances. If they'll have to choose just one Rapier character it will have to be Raphael of course, but they can still put her later as DLC.

I wish I was enthusiastic and positive thinking as you are, but after the rollercoaster that was SC5 cast I just don't want to bother. Cuz you know.. hope only brings disappointment :p

SCV case was special, game was rushed to not compete with TTT2.

At that time Bandai Namco had 3 options:

- Delay the game and release it later in a complete state.
- Release it at the moment and add the rest of the cast as DLCs
- Release it at the moment and fans of Setsuka, Zasalamel, Talim and the other characters can go f*ckt themselves lol

Guess what, they chose the 3rd option lol First option was mainly to avoid TTT2 release date i guess, and second was risky for them, DLC was already a thing in fighting games, but BN was still reticent on this at the time (and even in the recent days in some cases)

Actually it reminded me when (in interview just after delaying T7 from early 2017 to june 2017) Harada said they didn't want to do the same mistake with T7 like they did with one of the their games in the past, i think he was for sure meaning SCV.

Last edited:
Definitely, but fortunately i think devs are already aware about this.
I wouldn't say chances for Amy are dead, tho she has very low chances. If they'll have to choose just one Rapier character it will have to be Raphael of course, but they can still put her later as DLC.

Aware or not I don't like that, I can just imagine myself in that situation, it would get annoying so fast. Actually, I should stop bringing it up here ^^' but for some reason it's stronger than me to completely ignore it, so... sorry for those who are annoyed by it I'll try harder xD
Just imagine, you tweet something that doesn't have anything to do with the game and people coming to spam about it.
I'we seen that happen a lot with Harada, but he knew how to respond to it xD

And I don't think she'll come back as DLC if she is indeed Viola from now on :/

I'm really not so a fan of those bonuses characters, most of them screamed so much ANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMES, and they really felt off from SC universe.

Just a though i had back then, but really right after Namco and Bandai fusion it really felt sometimes that they were trying hard and brute forcing to make everything ANIIIIIMES, even in an IP like SC that really wasn't about anime at all in the first place. Fortunately they haven't go more far than that, since those characters were just Bonuses character and not canon characters, and those weren't in SC5 as well, and i though SCV new characters were way more interesting even tho i'm not a fan of all of them.

PS: I don't hate anime, i do actually love a lot of animes, but it's just that imo Soul Calibur is not Anime in the first place.

Kinda "surprised" the new pg's parent is male, but hopefully they'll both have exciting styles. If we'll not have a new female character, I would like Namco to put as many classic ones as possible (I know we won't get all of them)!

I just can't for some reason imagine Hilde make it in the roster in any way but DLC. I love the girl but it doesn't surprise me if she wasn't that popular of a character. Often felt like the only Hilde main, online and on tournaments.
I agree with this completely.
I think the reason she is not so much popular is nothing is further explained about her. Game play is most important but people also tend to care about characters they can relate and know about like Siegfried, Tira and Sophitia.
When she was introduced in SC4 she had too much potential to fit in story and the time line but they completely scrapped that in SC5 and she wasn't even included in story mode. So she just stayed as "props to that girl for wearing armor" in people's minds.
I think she just needs to be included in events to be recognized and SC6 would be perfect opportunity for being a reboot. Too bad according to Vergeben's sources she will be included as a post launch character.

I'm a little disappointed that dual blade dude won't have his mother around for epic special in-game dialogue. On the other hand, that was pretty much to be expected given the seeming old-age misogyny of Japanese pop culture.

However, I'm glad there's a chance for a true "old man" type character in SC. I always loved Wang in Tekken and was really sad to see him go. Although I doubt that the new character will be THAT old, I'd love to see some sophisticated walking cane-based style with some clumsiness mixed in maybe. And... Fred Astaire maybe?

Also, teehee... MISOgyny.

Last edited:

This.

I'm pretty pessimistic and generally expect anything I wish for to be the opposite of what I actually get (because that's usually what happens). I have almost zero faith in game developers in the modern day. "Hope only brings disappointment..." is pretty much a statement I live by. Probably why I like Amy so much. Her personality resonates with me :)

Viola is tricky because I DO like her. She's a cool character, and the concept of a character having amnesia and becoming a different character is pretty interesting, but I love Amy's original style so much and would much rather they remained separate characters. I don't think it's fair to replace her.

Hope everyone had a good new years ^_^

This.

I'm pretty pessimistic and generally expect anything I wish for to be the opposite of what I actually get (because that's usually what happens). I have almost zero faith in game developers in the modern day. "Hope only brings disappointment..." is pretty much a statement I live by. Probably why I like Amy so much. Her personality resonates with me :)

Viola is tricky because I DO like her. She's a cool character, and the concept of a character having amnesia and becoming a different character is pretty interesting, but I love Amy's original style so much and would much rather they remained separate characters. I don't think it's fair to replace her.

Hope everyone had a good new years ^_^

This pretty much the same opinion, but I know that's just a dream and will never happen, that's why I never bring the idea of both characters in the game. (Plus, I did play viola the most in SC5, but mostly because I like Amy, so the design was closeish. And I did pretty good with her too, but it never really felt "natural" like with Amy)

I'm hoping sooner than that.

@Hayate Has Namco confirmed the date with you for testing out the new built of SC6?
The last time he streamed he said they will send him more infos today or tomorrow probably tomorrow because not many people work the 1st xD

Good stuff
Yeah, I've been asking for more Middle Eastern an Indian characters here and on Twitter/NeoGAF for the past 10+ years. I think I even tried having the conversation back on the old official forums back in the day. These topics usually fall on deaf ears, tbh. It's always seemed crazy to me that a part of the world that was so dominant during the time, with so much in the way of rich culture and visuals, that is *right* between East and West is left out of the game. For my money, Voldo, Tira, and ZWEI should've been from this part of the world, and Algol and Astaroth would've looked more like they were.

I think with Rashid & Shaheen, the chances are higher this time around.

@Vergeben Do you know the origins of this new character & his father?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back