Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some characters need their brokenness from LS in SC6 to be 'balanced'.
Every character can be classed as "broken", there is no such thing as a "balanced" character. That's the point in a fighting game, Project Soul said it themselves. If everyone was "balanced" then whats the point in the game? Everyone would be equal and there would be no competition at all.

I wouldn't assume that sc6 will actually happen. Just sayin', I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Like Nyte said Hoshino has been hinting at it a lot recently! Plus, we have no idea if they have been working on it. For all we know they've been working on it for months and have just kept it really quiet, or maybe they have just only started, or haven't started at all. I can say that it will almost definitely be coming out!

Every character can be classed as "broken", there is no such thing as a "balanced" character. That's the point in a fighting game, Project Soul said it themselves. If everyone was "balanced" then whats the point in the game? Everyone would be equal and there would be no competition at all.
Don't trivialize the concepts of "broken" and "balanced" by attempting to use them in such a broad statement. The meaning is clear it is disingenuous to act otherwise. Just because perfect balance is very difficult to accomplish (without sacrificing heterogeneity) doesn't make character balance a flawed design. Just in case you're actually uncertain, you can view balance is generally viewed as how competitive the roster is against each other, but there is also a character-specific balance where the the individual attacks within the movelist are relatively balanced.

The fact that you mentioned there would be no competition if there was balance is fundamentally flawed and shows how little understanding you have. Why would many professional sport leagues (competitive activities by nature) have spending caps? It sure isn't an arbitrary decision just for kicks like you would try to mislead others to believe.

And... Even if Project Soul for some strange reason is not joking about character balance (which seems to have went over your head) it is suicide for the franchise to declare they don't allocate any development thought process towards character balance.

Some characters need their brokenness from LS in SC6 to be 'balanced'.
They're only made overpowered so that beginners don't have too much of a hard time battling AI opponents who know how best to punish every move you do.
In a PvP game,it is pretty much guaranteed to be balanced.

Don't trivialize the concepts of "broken" and "balanced" by attempting to use them in such a broad statement. The meaning is clear it is disingenuous to act otherwise. Just because perfect balance is very difficult to accomplish (without sacrificing heterogeneity) doesn't make character balance a flawed design. Just in case you're actually uncertain, you can view balance is generally viewed as how competitive the roster is against each other, but there is also a character-specific balance where the the individual attacks within the movelist are relatively balanced.

The fact that you mentioned there would be no competition if there was balance is fundamentally flawed and shows how little understanding you have. Why would many professional sport leagues (competitive activities by nature) have spending caps? It sure isn't an arbitrary decision just for kicks like you would try to mislead others to believe.

And... Even if Project Soul for some strange reason is not joking about character balance (which seems to have went over your head) it is suicide for the franchise to declare they don't allocate any development thought process towards character balance.
I wasn't using it in a broad statement bt I was trying to say how people call Viola broken just because of her long stun combos, but the same can be said for Ivy from SCIV, Maxi, Amy, Astaroth and many other characters. They can all be dubbed as "broken" characters. The concept of broken characters doesn't make sense, just because someone has long, stun based combos doesn't mean they're "broken". If the game had perfect balance (in the sense that nobody was "broken", short combos, and every combo being escapable) it would be pretty bland and boring. I'm not uncertain, I understand what you're saying about character specific balance, but the fact that characters are dubbed as "broken" is wrong. Nobody is broken.

This is a video game, bringing real life sports into it has nothing to do with video game balance. It's a game, you have over powered, grab characters like Astaroth, he's unbalanced and "broken" to the rest of the roster but no one complains, he can kill you in three hits. He's unbalanced. The mention of real life sports isn't necessary when speaking about a video game that contains characters like Astaroth.

Also, it never "went over my head" it just depends how you take what they said, they could have meant what they said like "don't be arguing over a subject like this" thus "don't take it too seriously" but yes I understand that the whole thing they said could be a joke.

People call Viola broken just because of her long stun combos, but the same can be said for Ivy from SCIV, Maxi, Amy, Astaroth and many other characters. They can all be dubbed as "broken" characters. The concept of broken characters doesn't make sense, just because someone has long, stun based combos doesn't mean they're "broken". If the game had perfect balance (in the sense that nobody was "broken", short combos, and every combo being escapable) it would be pretty bland and boring. I'm not uncertain, I understand what you're saying about character specific balance, but the fact that characters are dubbed as "broken" is wrong. Nobody is broken.
Actually the definition of broken only comes down to "too strong or too weak relative to others".So if a character is superior by a lot in every way in comparison to others he/she can be considered broken.
I mean in lost swords,raphael has an infinite combo that comes from a punisher,that makes his punishment and offense way stronger than others,so he can be considered broken.

Overpowered on the other hand is simply being better than it needs to be,like of a move yields very high rewards for very little risk,then it can be considered overpowered,but it can be made balanced by making it difficult to perform and such

Actually the definition of broken only comes down to "too strong or too weak relative to others".So if a character is superior by a lot in every way in comparison to others he/she can be considered broken.
I mean in lost swords,raphael has an infinite combo that comes from a punisher,that makes his punishment and offense way stronger than others,so he can be considered broken.

Overpowered on the other hand is simply being better than it needs to be,like of a move yields very high rewards for very little risk,then it can be considered overpowered,but it can be made balanced by making it difficult to perform and such
I understand what you're saying. It's just whenever someone has said to me Viola is broken and I ask why they always tend to say because her combos are too big or she has too many stuns. No one has ever said to me that it is because she is too powerful compared to the character they are using so thank you for clearing that up for me without basically calling me stupid and having no understanding at all :)

But then, it still means every character is "broken" no just Viola aha.

People call Viola broken just because of her long stun combos, but the same can be said for Ivy from SCIV, Maxi, Amy, Astaroth and many other characters. They can all be dubbed as "broken" characters. The concept of broken characters doesn't make sense, just because someone has long, stun based combos doesn't mean they're "broken". If the game had perfect balance (in the sense that nobody was "broken", short combos, and every combo being escapable) it would be pretty bland and boring. I'm not uncertain, I understand what you're saying about character specific balance, but the fact that characters are dubbed as "broken" is wrong. Nobody is broken.

What? First off all, for a character to be "Broken", means they have HUGE unfair advantages towards the rest of the cast, advantages that cannot be countered (Nothing to do with tiers).
Some examples. Cervantes from Soul Blade, SC 2 and the glitchfest that was SC 3 . Jin in Tekken 4. Heihachi in Tekken 1. And my personal favorite, Xiaoyu vs Ogre matchup in Tekken 3 (I don't know if you'll get this one)

This is a video game, bringing real life sports into it has nothing to do with video game balance. It's a game, you have over powered, grab characters like Astaroth, he's unbalanced and "broken" to the rest of the roster but no one complains, he can kill you in three hits. He's unbalanced. The mention of real life sports isn't necessary when speaking about a video game that contains characters like Astaroth.
Difference is, Astaroth's "advantages" can be countered. If you are getting whooped by an Astaroth player in SC V for example, it's probably your own fault. He doesn't have any big advantages in general towards the rest of the roster, and can't abuse safe moves with 100% 0 risk, many properties and huge potential damage.

What? First off all, for a character to be "Broken", means they have HUGE unfair advantages towards the rest of the cast, advantages that cannot be countered (Nothing to do with tiers).
Some examples. Cervantes from Soul Blade, SC 2 and the glitchfest that was SC 3 . Jin in Tekken 4. Heihachi in Tekken 1. And my personal favorite, Xiaoyu vs Ogre matchup in Tekken 3 (I don't know if you'll get this one)

Difference is, Astaroth's "advantages" can be countered. If you are getting whooped by an Astaroth player in SC V for example, it's probably your own fault. He doesn't have any big advantages in general towards the rest of the roster, and can't abuse safe moves with 100% 0 risk, many properties and huge potential damage.
Instead of beating me down read my previous post, I was lead to believe that broken meant what I explained before but now I know it doesn't mean that so you don't have to explain anything to me :)

That's not true, it's like saying if you're getting whooped by any character it's your own fault. Every character has an unfair advantage against certain characters, it's not the players fault. You could be "pro" but still get your arse whooped :)

Instead of beating me down read my previous post, I was lead to believe that broken meant what I explained before but now I know it doesn't mean that so you don't have to explain anything to me :)

That's not true, it's like saying if you're getting whooped by any character it's your own fault. Every character has an unfair advantage against certain characters, it's not the players fault. You could be "pro" but still get your arse whooped :)
Hmmm, how exactly did I "beat you down"? I also wrote this when the last post was the one I quoted.

What is not true? That if you get whooped by an Asta player it isn't your fault? Well, it actually is your fault, even if you play a character like Talim that is supposed to have a disadvantage against him. If you can't defend against him, it's your fault. If the opponent is dominating you, especially in casual play, advantages/disadvantages have nothing to do with who wins. If a "pro" Talim player battles an average Cervantes player, guess who wins. If a "pro" Astaroth (mid tier) player can't beat a "pro"Cervantes (high tier) player, then it's the Asta player's fault.

Hmmm, how exactly did I "beat you down"? I also wrote this when the last post was the one I quoted.

What is not true? That if you get whooped by an Asta player it isn't your fault? Well, it actually is your fault, even if you play a character like Talim that is supposed to have a disadvantage against him. If you can't defend against him, it's your fault. If the opponent is dominating you, especially in casual play, advantages/disadvantages have nothing to do with who wins. If a "pro" Talim player battles an average Cervantes player, guess who wins. If a "pro" Astaroth (mid tier) player can't beat a "pro"Cervantes (high tier) player, then it's the Asta player's fault.
Dude, it's nobody's fault for losing. It doesn't matter who you play as, if you lose it isn't your fault, unless you just want to stand there and block and do nothing then it's your fault. What you're saying is just like when people say "it's your fault *insert person* is gay, because you pushed your views on him" or whatever. Losing is nobody's fault, ether you has a disadvantage and lost or you just wasn't playing as good as usual which still isn't your fault. In real life people who are usually good at something, and then one time aren't as good isn't their fault (obviously depending on the situation). No one is ever consecutively good at something. So if they have a time where they didn't fight as well and lose isn't their fault.

What you're saying is just like when people say "it's your fault *insert person* is gay, because you pushed your views on him" or whatever.
Seriously, what the hell?

Besides that, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Either it's because English isn't my mother language or you need to rephrase what you're typing a bit. Are you trying to say losing is nobody's fault because you can have a bad day or something similar?

Seriously, what the hell?

Besides that, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Either it's because English isn't my mother language or you need to rephrase what you're typing a bit. Are you trying to say losing is nobody's fault because you can have a bad day or something similar?
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. It's like if I can't get a certain combo no matter how much I try is that my fault? I can't get just guards but I can get guard impacts is that my fault? None of that is my fault, same with losing, just cause I lose doesn't make it my fault, it just means I'm not doing as well as I usually do that's all I'm trying to say.

No hard feelings I don't want to have a petty argument over this aha.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. It's like if I can't get a certain combo no matter how much I try is that my fault?.
Yes, you're doing something wrong.
I can't get just guards but I can get guard impacts is that my fault?
Of course it is!
None of that is my fault, same with losing, just cause I lose doesn't make it my fault, it just means I'm not doing as well as I usually do that's all I'm trying to say.

No hard feelings I don't want to have a petty argument over this aha.
If you lose, of course it is your fault. It means that you did something wrong that the opponent exploited.
What does "having a bad day" have to do with anything I posted before? I said that, if you get whooped with the examples given, it's your own fault. There is no way, in any case, 3 times a week you can do some combos and the other 4 you can't.

I can't see how this is an argument or a debate tbh.

Reactions: CFW
Eh, yes.

Of course it is!

If you lose, of course it is your fault. It means that you did something wrong that the opponent exploited.
What does "having a bad day" have to do with anything I posted before? I said that, if you get whooped with the examples given, it's your own fault. There is no way, in any case, 3 times a week you can do some combos and the other 4 you can't.

I can't see how this is an argument or a debate tbh.
Stop being so closed-minded and self centered okay. If I get Cancer then it's totally my fault isn't it. <That is basically what you're saying, just because somebody can't do something, can't get something, loses, or anything like that does not mean it is their fault.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. It's like if I can't get a certain combo no matter how much I try is that my fault? I can't get just guards but I can get guard impacts is that my fault? None of that is my fault, same with losing, just cause I lose doesn't make it my fault, it just means I'm not doing as well as I usually do that's all I'm trying to say.

The fuck? ALL of that is your fault. There's a training mode for a reason, and therefore 0 reason to not learn how to do a specific mechanic or learn how to play a matchup.

The fuck? ALL of that is your fault. There's a training mode for a reason, and therefore 0 reason to not learn how to do a specific mechanic or learn how to play a matchup.
Sometimes people just simply can't do something no matter how hard they try. That is not their fault. They could train and train and train and still not be able to get it, but that's not their fault.

What you're saying is just like when people say "it's your fault *insert person* is gay, because you pushed your views on him" or whatever.

No hard feelings I don't want to have a petty argument over this aha

Stop being so closed-minded and self centered okay. If I get Cancer then it's totally my fault isn't it. <That is basically what you're saying, just because somebody can't do something, can't get something, loses, or anything like that does not mean it is their fault.
I just can't connect the dots on this one to be honest. What kind of logic is that? Ugh

Sometimes people just simply can't do something no matter how hard they try. That is not their fault. They could train and train and train and still not be able to get it, but that's not their fault.

No, that is entirely their fault. Its a video game, not a fat guy trying to run 60mph. Its entirely possible to do everything, and with enough practice and less complaining, you can.

If you have a hard time doing a specific mechanic, and choose to not do it, thats fine. But you are choosing to not use it because you haven't practiced enough to be able to do it comfortably, and therefore, it is your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back