Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, you say that like there's a time when he isn't a douche.

Well, I meant douche!Patroklos as opposed to a theoretical restructured Patroklos where he's likeable or some nonsense. Of course he's a douche through-and-through in SCV. A gullible, self-righteous douche.

Well, I meant douche!Patroklos as opposed to a theoretical restructured Patroklos where he's likeable or some nonsense. Of course he's a douche through-and-through in SCV. A gullible, self-righteous douche.

Right. Patroklos was drawn up to be an ass from the start. We're not supposed to like his personality. Hes like Caesar in Gladiator, or Joffrey from Game of Thrones. Hes self righteous, beyond cocky and hateable.

Its actually a pretty good concept for a fighting game character. I think it kinda falls flat when it isnt fleshed out with a clear, coherent story mode and the character transforms midway thru the game into his own opposite and gains a moveset from an umbrella wielding kunoichi... pretty odd.

I think an otherwise brilliant character concept fell short because of these reasons. Hopefully they dont make this mistake again with another character in the next title.

Right. Patroklos was drawn up to be an ass from the start. We're not supposed to like his personality. Hes like Caesar in Gladiator, or Joffrey from Game of Thrones. Hes self righteous, beyond cocky and hateable.

Its actually a pretty good concept for a fighting game character. I think it kinda falls flat when it isnt fleshed out with a clear, coherent story mode and the character transforms midway thru the game into his own opposite and gains a moveset from an umbrella wielding kunoichi... pretty odd.

I think an otherwise brilliant character concept fell short because of these reasons. Hopefully they dont make this mistake again with another character in the next title.
Only we're told he's a hero, yet everything else shows he isn't one. There's not one redeeming quality about him (the one thing that could be considered redeem, his desire to save his sister, still falls flat due to his actions alongside the heavy incest undertones).

Only we're told he's a hero, yet everything else shows he isn't one. There's not one redeeming quality about him (the one thing that could be considered redeem, his desire to save his sister, still falls flat due to his actions alongside the heavy incest undertones).

Of course we're told hes the hero just like Caesar and Joffrey are great heroic kings. If you read Pat's bio its very clear that his flaw is thinking that a hero means being self righteous and overly confident.

Surely you dont think the dev team thinks a "hero" acts the way Pat acts and talks. Its simply part of his character concept.

In regards to the incestuous undertones, those are obviously manufactured by the culture we live in. The dev team wouldnt purposely have them be incestuously involved. Thats clearly fanfiction type theory.

Of course we're told hes the hero just like Caesar and Joffrey are great heroic kings. If you read Pat's bio its very clear that his flaw is thinking that a hero means being self righteous and overly confident.

Surely you dont think the dev team thinks a "hero" acts the way Pat acts and talks. Its simply part of his character concept.

In regards to the incestuous undertones, those are obviously manufactured by the culture we live in. The dev team wouldnt purposely have them be incestuously involved. Thats clearly fanfiction type theory.
But it's different here. They kept advertising him as a "holy warrior" and the new hero of Soulcalibur. We had no idea what we were getting into before we played the story. We knew Joffrey was an asshole from the start. Now, I know what they were trying to go for, they were trying to make him an anti-hero that the audience cares for and hopes to be redeemed. The thing is, for that to work, we need something about him to connect and relate to.

Basically, they took Siegfried, removed all of his redeeming qualities and amplified his shittiness, then they called him a "hero". It just doesn't work.

But it's different here. They kept advertising him as a "holy warrior" and the new hero of Soulcalibur. We had no idea what we were getting into before we played the story. We knew Joffrey was an asshole from the start. Now, I know what they were trying to go for, they were trying to make him an anti-hero that the audience cares for and hopes to be redeemed. The thing is, for that to work, we need something about him to connect and relate to.

Basically, they took Siegfried, removed all of his redeeming qualities and amplified his shittiness, then they called him a "hero". It just doesn't work.

I get what you mean.

We're told that Pat is a holy warrior and the main hero of SoulCalibur5 but that doesnt mean that he actually is wholeheartedly.
My whole point is that the dev team made him out to be a hero only to give him these major flaws on purpose as part of his concept.

There's something that kind of confuses me. If Namco and Project Soul want to distance themselves from SCV, why is Natsu the Soulcalibur representative in Project X Zone 2? Seriously, who made that decision?

There's one thing that kind of worries me about SCVI. I have a feeling that Hoshino is going to milk it to death with nickel-and-diming costume packs, just like Team Ninja did to DOA. One year after SCVI, you'll see "Mega" SCVI that makes some improvements, adds characters, costumes, and features for $40. Then there will be "Ultra Mega" SCVI the year after that, with most stuff added for another $40. That might sound nice, but Team Ninja milked DOA5 to death instead of working on the next game. Seriously, by the time Last Round was released, a DOA6 would've been perfectly feasible instead. I guess selling us a bunch of perverted costumes was more important to them.

I'm already seeing this with Lost Swords. If they milked a free-to-play game that not too many people are playing to death over a year, you bet they're going to milk SCVI dry. The nickel-and-diming must stop.

There's one thing that kind of worries me about SCVI. I have a feeling that Hoshino is going to milk it to death with nickel-and-diming costume packs, just like Team Ninja did to DOA. One year after SCVI, you'll see "Mega" SCVI that makes some improvements, adds characters, costumes, and features for $40. Then there will be "Ultra Mega" SCVI the year after that, with most stuff added for another $40. That might sound nice, but Team Ninja milked DOA5 to death instead of working on the next game. Seriously, by the time Last Round was released, a DOA6 would've been perfectly feasible instead. I guess selling us a bunch of perverted costumes was more important to them.

I'm already seeing this with Lost Swords. If they milked a free-to-play game that not too many people are playing to death over a year, you bet they're going to milk SCVI dry. The nickel-and-diming must stop.

Yea i hear you. We're in the age of DLC EVERYTHING. Therell certainly be a hailstorm of costume DLC just like SC5.

Honestly im ok with the costume DLC. It wouldnt be fair to them if they just gave it all for free. I guess the same is true for character DLC but on the other hand itll bother me if they dangle it from our noses like MKX does.

But then again... I'd be happy to see them continuously support the game...

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Yea i hear you. We're in the age of DLC EVERYTHING. Therell certainly be a hailstorm of costume DLC just like SC5.

Honestly im ok with the costume DLC. It wouldnt be fair to them if they just gave it all for free. I guess the same is true for character DLC but on the other hand itll bother me if they dangle it from our noses like MKX does.
I think it'll be worse than SCV, since we have a unified Project Soul I'm sure Hoshino will have all sorts of "interesting" costume pieces planned if LS is any indication. At least it's better than DOA, since you can customize the pieces, put them on any character, and use them of your own accord, making it a little less bullshitty.

I would buy classic costume packs in a heart beat.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

chatimage

I don't support BS DLC, like disc locked content, that is all. Other DLC is fine as long as it's not there due to a rushed game or something. And PS has been pretty good about the whole not making a super edition of their games. The closest they've done was Broken Destiny but it was only on psp so few can even complain. Hopefully, they won't go down the street figter path and keep remaking the same game. I want them to take all the time in the world and make a perfect SCVI, rather than three improved SCVI. =_=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back