Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 2D players did Algol Viola and ZWEI bring in? Tokido just to do back throw infinities? It causes more harm than good. More people are turned off by it than the people who come then leave quickly once a real 2D game releases. If you think SC lacks unique designs, then you don't give the IP enough credit. Akuma also has mixed opinions overall. Nobody knows if 2D players will stick with T7 because the game isn't out yet.

P.S. 2D players have always tried Soulcalibur.

All I'm saying is, is that old characters are great because they're already iconic, so yes they should be in the new game, but they are becoming so irrelevant to the story that new characters need to be integrated.
I agree with this 100% however when they do this by simply taking the two main characters and giving them a previously used style (i.e. Pyrrha Omega and Alpha Patroklos) instead of just preserving the characters with which they are associated, it seems incredibly tacky and just plain lazy on the part of PS. Obviously, yes, maybe there were time restrictions but I hated Alpha Patroklos and it made absolutely no sense to give him Setsuka's modified style when they could have just implemented her and then given Pyrrha Omega's style to Elysium who is Sophitia.

Also the "having three mimic characters" idea was just plain bad and really needs to not happen again.

I agree with this 100% however when they do this by simply taking the two main characters and giving them a previously used style (i.e. Pyrrha Omega and Alpha Patroklos) instead of just preserving the characters with which they are associated, it seems incredibly tacky and just plain lazy on the part of PS. Obviously, yes, maybe there were time restrictions but I hated Alpha Patroklos and it made absolutely no sense to give him Setsuka's modified style when they could have just implemented her and then given Pyrrha Omega's style to Elysium who is Sophitia.

It was all about making Pat super cool & to destroy Setsuka's style. Now that she's coming back, the A+B aJI is going to be amazing again. I'll convince Hoshino to overnerf Sophitia since she's coming back.

however when they do this by simply taking the two main characters and giving them a previously used style (i.e. Pyrrha Omega and Alpha Patroklos) instead of just preserving the characters with which they are associated, it seems incredibly tacky and just plain lazy on the part of PS.

I agree with this also, which is where my point about 'fixing' the problems with the new characters comes into play. I really do think that though it makes sense for Pyrrha and Patroklos to adopt attributes of their parent's fighting styles (Alpha Patroklos' style doesn't really seem to fit anywhere imo), their styles do need to be their own so that the authenticity of their predecessors is not discounted in any way. :P

Speaking of 2D additions and using characters to attract players of other games, I know every fighter has their poster boys/girls. SC has them as well, e.g., Rugi, Sieg, Nighty, Ivy. A guest character like Akuma for T7 may attract more players, sure. If a company has to "recruit" characters from other games, does that mean that the game a certain company has out there is either failing or is in trouble on its own efforts regarding character rosters?

does that mean that the game a certain company has out there is either failing or is in trouble on its own efforts regarding character rosters?

Not sure if you're talking about the game that has the guest, or the game that gives the guest, but in both scenarios it wouldn't be entirely true to say the franchise is failing or in trouble. DOA5LR has 4 guest characters from Virtua Fighter, and really recently updated the fighter roster to include a guest from Samurai Warriors -- none of these games are flopping (I think), so I guess it just depends.

I've been at tournaments with Tekken 7 there. A lot SF players are showing interest in picking up the game both in my local scene and on a national level. That to Namco is a good sign, especially since this increase interest happened after Akuma was revealed. As for 2D players, more specifically Japanese ones, since you named a Japanese pleyer, Itazan, Fuudo, and some guy who is Itazan's friend who's name I can't remember. (Started with an H, and I realize that Fuudo is also a VF player) And how is somebody, with a large following, getting into our game more harmful than good? Tokido infinited everyone death at EVO, so what. You'll probably say because it makes our game look broken, but you do realize that is what Tokido is primarily known for. His entire game since way back was finding the most broken, spammable shit he could do. Look at how he played Akuma in SF4. Nothing but unblockables and safe vortexes ala Viola. Didn't affect their numbers.

That's almost a point but Itazan and Fuudo didn't play Viola Zwei or Algol. People show interest in Akuma because he is literally a street fighter character. Showing interest also doesn't mean anything for when the game comes out. Stop making it sound like my argument is "I hate 2D players".

The argument is that ZWEI Viola and Algol brought nobody in and got people out. You said it yourself. Tokido only picked Viola to do broken stuff. Not because he liked the game. Just wants the easy money.

I don't know how you thought I was saying you hate 2D players in anything I said. And where is your evidence that those characters made people quit? The French community dropped out and a few American players like Something Unique quit because Viola didn't get banned in the US does not equal they made the franchise lose players. More French players quit because they flat out didn't like the game, and in the US the community lost far more players to the back dash nerf than we did to Viola, ZWEI, and Algol. Viola in particular is pretty popular among the greater SC fan base for a character that only has was one appearance. She placed higher than some of the classic characters on that FB poll. Most people who quit because of Viola and Algol where competitive players. We're talking a percentage of a percentage of the player base.

Reactions: Ave
I don't know how you thought I was saying you hate 2D players in anything I said. And where is your evidence that those characters made people quit?

"And how is somebody, with a large following, getting into our game more harmful than good?"

Sorry I didn't make a record book of people dropping off, but from what I have seen, that's what happened. Feel free to put up your statistics. I can think of a lot of names that quit from Viola. Tom Brady, a 2D player, quit SCIV because of Algol too. Even with ZWEI, I remember in the first year a huge majority of casuals complaining that he is "like fighting 2 characters at once!".

In that YouTube video where Kinetic Clash beat Signia with Viola with evo, there are a lot of comments from scrubs that hate Viola too. Viola, ZWEI, and Algol were not ranked high on the character poll. Viola beat some characters that weren't clones. She still lost to 20 though.

I can think of a lot of names that quit from Viola.

Viola gets destroyed by Leixia 10-0.

Tom Brady, a 2D player, quit SCIV because of Algol too.

Algol in SCIV was instaban because of bubble infinites near walls. Also, Hilde in SCIV was broken with Doom Combo ringing out from the starting position & C2A was a guard break 1st hit and the 2nd hit unblockable.

Even with ZWEI, I remember in the first year a huge majority of casuals complaining that he is "like fighting 2 characters at once!".

Z.W.E.I. gets destroyed by Leixia 10-0.

In that YouTube video where Kinetic Clash beat Signia with Viola with evo, there are a lot of comments from scrubs that hate Viola too.

Those are probably the same scrubs that wanted Natsu's FC A+B nerfed for no reason because Natsu destroyed them in the early days of SCV Online. They also want Xianghua to return and have automatic 10-0 matches with 4A+B ~ 66K making nearly every Horizontal & Thrusting Vertical no longer matter to get easy 80 DMG combos at anytime. 44B+K makes Verticals no longer matter. 44B+K(aGI) ~ iFC 3B ~ 3B+K = 70 DMG. Also FC 3B can be for duck punishes & punishing unsafe lows.

Viola, ZWEI, and Algol were not ranked high on the character poll. Viola beat some characters that weren't clones. She still lost to 20 though.

It wouldn't matter if Algol, Z.W.E.I, & Viola returned or not because Leixia has great matches with those characters.

Characters like Zwei, Viola, and Algol are a dozen times more interesting than just some dude with a sword or another greek. Viola is poorly designed, but that could absolutely be fixed in a future title (Same with Zwei being trash), like how they fixed Algol going from 4 to 5 to make him more in line with how the rest of the cast works, while still keeping his unique elements. I feel like throwing away really interesting design ideas just because they don't fit with a preconceived notion of how the series is supposed to play is really shortsighted, and leads to a series stagnating. Also, Zwei and Viola both managed to attract a fairly large and dedicated group of players to them on 8WR, so I think on at least some level they were successful.

SC changes pretty heavily between iterations anyway, what's so wrong about one or two characters out of a cast of 20+ having some weird mechanics as long as they aren't super broken?

I just found something interesting. Namco did a character survey back in 2002 and here are the results:

• Seung Mina -- 22.33%
    • Sophitia -- 18.27%
    • Voldo -- 13.19%
    • Maxi -- 11.67%
    • Cervantes -- 11.67%
    • Yoshimitsu -- 4.56%
    • Hwang Sung Kyung -- 3.55%
    • Rock -- 3.04%
    • Lizard Man -- 2.53%
    • Mitsurugi -- 2.5%
    • Siegfried -- 2.5%
    • Bhang -- 1%
    • Johann Durer -- 1%
    • Li Long -- 1%

So at one point Seung Mina was the most popular character and hardly anyone cared about Mitsurugi. Surprising. Why are there so many characters missing from the poll though? Xianghua, Taki, Kilik and Ivy are all missing. Bhang is apparently the Japanese name for Rock's son Bangoo and Johann Durer is some random character from the backstory they threw in there for some reason.

I just found something interesting. Namco did a character survey back in 2002 and here are the results:

• Seung Mina -- 22.33%
    • Sophitia -- 18.27%
    • Voldo -- 13.19%
    • Maxi -- 11.67%
    • Cervantes -- 11.67%
    • Yoshimitsu -- 4.56%
    • Hwang Sung Kyung -- 3.55%
    • Rock -- 3.04%
    • Lizard Man -- 2.53%
    • Mitsurugi -- 2.5%
    • Siegfried -- 2.5%
    • Bhang -- 1%
    • Johann Durer -- 1%
    • Li Long -- 1%

So at one point Seung Mina was the most popular character and hardly anyone cared about Mitsurugi. Surprising. Why are there so many characters missing from the poll though? Xianghua, Taki, Kilik and Ivy are all missing. Bhang is apparently the Japanese name for Rock's son Bangoo and Johann Durer is some random character from the backstory they threw in there for some reason.
I'm gonna need a reliable source for that. lol

Frayhua, most of your recent posts have been about how overpowered Xianghua is and how Leixia matches up with other characters.

I'm just keeping it real because a lot of people don't know how great Leixia is. Also, they don't know how powerful Xianghua is. Daishi & Hoshino both know how powerful X is.

Those are probably the same scrubs that wanted Natsu's FC A+B nerfed for no reason because Natsu destroyed them in the early days of SCV Online
This man is insane with those Unlimited X/Leixia Posts, but this is true. Most complaits are coming from scrubs, who are not even trying to understand how to deal with certain characters, instead crying how OP those characters are. Like, srsly, look at ZWEI now, do you realy think he is OP? I do agree with Viola infinities, but that's one character and she can be fixed. And Algol is just average high tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back