Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this advertising campaign was ridiculous and not in a good way.
It was terrifically stupid.

It's one of the most offensive things about SC5... The series is better than this... As if SC5 needed anything else bringing it down. I don't know why this is all anyone seems to notice about the games anymore but I've noticed it very much since playing SC4 with others. In the old games all we noticed was the gameplay but in the new games all anyone notices is the boobs. Maybe it's the step up in terms of realistic graphics so it's practically unavoidable.

I've nothing against characters having sexuality which can be expressed in their attire, it's just when you start pushing it in my face or worse declaring it a reason I should buy the game rather than well, the freaking gameplay, I draw a line.

You know when I was younger playing SC on my mates Dreamcast and SC2 on my PS2 I never really noticed things like, well, Ivy... I mean I noticed and everything but I never really paid it much mind as I was too busy, you know, enjoying the game.

It never really occurred to me to do so until I grew up and started playing SC4 and 5 again. At which point I feel it has been gradually being pushed more and more in my face in ways I'd rather not dignify with a response.

If you're reading this please put an end to that nonsense Project Soul once and for all. I never noticed it before but as I started using the internet to find out more what everyone thinks about the series I found it has a rather... Unseemly reputation.

I've always found it repugnant and it needs to stop. You know what I'm talking about...

No more of this... Please.
ivysc5.jpg

79261.jpg

soul-calibur-v-poster.jpg

pretty sure those advertisements were meant for Japanese audience and not for the western crowd

If they want to seriously reboot the game, then they would get rid of that burly ass Ivy model from SC4/5 and work on a new one.

It's one of the most offensive things about SC5... The series is better than this... As if SC5 needed anything else bringing it down. I don't know why this is all anyone seems to notice about the games anymore but I've noticed it very much since playing SC4 with others. In the old games all we noticed was the gameplay but in the new games all anyone notices is the boobs. Maybe it's the step up in terms of realistic graphics so it's practically unavoidable.

I've nothing against characters having sexuality which can be expressed in their attire, it's just when you start pushing it in my face or worse declaring it a reason I should buy the game rather than well, the freaking gameplay, I draw a line.

The series kept pushing in that direction with the previous games and went overboard with SC4. SCV classed things up but went lazy with the marketing. At least the Japanese advertising used Voldo to switch things up.

Not only it was stupid, but it also didn't make any sense. Even Ivy's P1 was the most covered P1 she ever had, so I really don't know why they went with this. Even DoA takes itself more seriously, its like they didn't care enough about what was coming in SC5. Good thing they stopped that with SC6.

They've been showing plenty of Sophitia cleavage and destructible clothing since the reveal which started all this talk about tits and Ivy. They also went in this direction with Lost Swords, so I don't expect SC6 to deviate much.

pretty sure those advertisements were meant for Japanese audience and not for the western crowd

They used Ivy's tits for the western audience.

Six more days until January, guys :)

Ooh, all these comments against boob windows and nipples, it's like I entered the Huffinton Post.

Funny, because me and many others think those extremely nude outfits are just fine.

I knew a couple of dominatrix girls, and to them having to cover themselves or dress "normal" was like hiding their true selves, denying who they were.

Aside from that, I like Ivy's SC3 and SC4 the best and hope they return. Except for that silly bow tie in her neck choker in SC4.

Big-breasted girls have a right to exist and be represented in video games! I invoke the spirits of Hitomi Tanaka and Lucy Pinder to clean all the foulness in this thread!!

tumblr_mjnzlve1dl1rkvpjjo1_500.jpg
hitomionesm.jpg
2WywS3T.gif

They've been showing plenty of Sophitia cleavage and destructible clothing since the reveal which started all this talk about tits and Ivy.
Showing Sophitia's cleavage and talking about it is much different from pushing the camera directly into it and advertising SC as tits-simulator-2018.
It's all about balance.
They also went in this direction with Lost Swords, so I don't expect SC6 to deviate much.
LS is a shameless cashgrab that consists purely of overpriced microtransactions. Taking sexual appeal up to 11 in such thing is quite logical, as this is the best way to quickly get money (especially considering that a little later they took LS down).

Do we still have no footage of Mitsurugi’s lower armor being broken? I’m just wondering if they actually meant his pants will explode and he’ll just be in a fundoshi, or like if they tastefully rip but you still see the fundoshi??

The series kept pushing in that direction with the previous games and went overboard with SC4. SCV classed things up but went lazy with the marketing. At least the Japanese advertising used Voldo to switch things up.

Maybe if that was done during SC2 no one would have noticed outside Japan but they did it with SC5 in the internet age so wherever I heard about it online people were bringing up that trash. It's all about the public perception of the game and it needs to change I think.

Like I said I've no problem with characters being sexualised my problems come when characters are OVER-sexualised and that includes Voldo. That's just the most egregious example granted but no one can deny the game has developed a somewhat sordid reputation.

Do we still have no footage of Mitsurugi’s lower armor being broken? I’m just wondering if they actually meant his pants will explode and he’ll just be in a fundoshi, or like if they tastefully rip but you still see the fundoshi??

I actually really like the idea of that. I think it's a clever way to show off small details like that and it'd make a lot of sense. To be honest, it was a really big deal to me when I saw that Sophie's hair came loose when enough damage was done to her head armour (even if they did chop the length, prolly cause of clipping/animation issues).

Only if his lower armor is broken. I still didn't get to see that, goddammit!

You can see that in the following video around 5:50

Oh, Sexyurugi, let me warm those hot muscled legs of yours...

I wonder how things will look on Kilik and the new guy...

You know actually it's rather funny, I never really noticed how blatantly over-sexualised Ivy is in SC4, I mean it's obvious really and others around me certainly noticed... But my focus was always on the way she played (and she was one of the best characters in SC4) rather than on how she looked but when it comes to the Ivy from SC5 that's all I remember.

Sure she looked far more tasteful in SC5, the P1 costume was miles better in her case, but her being lesser than SC4 Ivy coupled with that dreadful ad reinforced bad memories which I couldn't help but focus on til I actually reviewed the previous pages of this discussion.

Goes to show, gameplay trumps all. I even actually made a custom of SC5 Ivy P1 because I liked her outfit, but because of her bad gameplay for me I forgot all about that and focused on SC4 Ivy who though having the better gameplay probably did far more to ruin the reputation of SC.

Showing Sophitia's cleavage and talking about it is much different from pushing the camera directly into it and advertising SC as tits-simulator-2018.
It's all about balance.

LS is a shameless cashgrab that consists purely of overpriced microtransactions. Taking sexual appeal up to 11 in such thing is quite logical, as this is the best way to quickly get money (especially considering that a little later they took LS down).

We haven't even seen the advertising for SC6 yet to even make a judgement. Still too early.

People fell for the LS cash grab because they like tits and single player.

Maybe if that was done during SC2 no one would have noticed outside Japan but they did it with SC5 in the internet age so wherever I heard about it online people were bringing up that trash. It's all about the public perception of the game and it needs to change I think.

Like I said I've no problem with characters being sexualised my problems come when characters are OVER-sexualised and that includes Voldo. That's just the most egregious example granted but no one can deny the game has developed a somewhat sordid reputation.

Lots of people noticed how jiggly Ivy and Taki were in SC2 and became fanboys. This is where the talk about tits and nipples started from, and it went downhill from here since.

Outside of the tacky advertising for SCV, there wasn't much talk about tits because Ivy was the only sexualized character in the game compared to what we had in SC4. You bringing it up is the last time I've seen it mentioned, so clearly you have an issue.

I don't know how you missed the design for Ivy for SC4 when it was plastered everywhere to the point where people didn't take the game seriously. Gameplay doesn't trump all.

Thiccsurugi
View attachment 47787
Sadly, we can't see his dick.

Never had one.

Lots of people noticed how jiggly Ivy and Taki were in SC2 and became fanboys. This is where the talk about tits and nipples started from, and it went downhill from here since.

Outside of the tacky advertising for SCV, there wasn't much talk about tits because Ivy was the only sexualized character in the game compared to what we had in SC4. You bringing it up is the last time I've seen it mentioned, so clearly you have an issue.

I don't know how you missed the design for Ivy for SC4 when it was plastered everywhere to the point where people didn't take the game seriously. Gameplay doesn't trump all.
I don't know whose posts you're reading but like I said no one I knew ever noticed anything in SC2, it was there just barely commented on, in SC4 yes people did start to take notice but as I said I never did and I didn't play it enough with anyone else to make a judgment about how MUCH they were noticing, but it seemed to me they just didn't care about SC by this point. I'm just telling you what I saw.

SC3 was a decline for the game as a whole and I only ever played it once on PS2. The SC4 tournaments I watched had people more like me watching who weren't paying attention to any of that but focusing on the gameplay. As I've described I have no issue with how they present their characters just don't push it in my face like they did with those ads. I never saw any advertising for SC4 in this country whatsoever I simply bought it when I saw it in a shop some time after it was released and I had finally gotten a PS3 to play it on. Had never played it before.

And yes, gameplay does trump all, for me, as I'm the only one I can make that judgement on for sure, as I described it. Maybe all there is left is a horde of perverts out there who care more for things like Ivy's cleavage than gameplay and by the looks of this forum at least you may be right, but I prefer to hold out more hope than that.

Purity of a game doesn't matter unless you're trying to pitch a game to your parents.

If you're worried about people looking down at your game, look at smash's unmatched female purity
They used one of them here too.

Rpfoqz2.jpg
Saiyne listened to this advice and he won NEC.

People who complain about sexualization in games need a reality check, sex sells. And lets not pretend males in SC are not sexualized as fuck, case in point Rock. And lets be real, Algol was wearing tighty whities in V, it is not the females, the character design in SC a lot of times it is meant to represent their personality.

As a gay guy, I'm glad most dudes are shirtless in some level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back