Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the way the add was done seemed pretty insulting to people's intelligence. A full body Ivy or Sophitia would have gotten the same point across, but just a close up of her butt and breasts, seems to feel like fans are stereotyped as just being horny kids who care more about that than the actual game itself. People here have shown they care more about the characters they like than their chest sizes, especially considering Talim was number 1 on the polls. Talim being flat chested for one. Using full-body adds just makes the marketing at least subtle enough for people to decide for themselves where their attention goes, as opposed to it being forced in like that. I mean their bodies aren't invisible to us, and the costumes are already fanservicy enough.
I hate to address an elephant in the room, but.... Talim is underage and wears mid-rift clothing and a tube top in her first appearance on SCII. See through pants later on SCIV. I don't want to group why she has a big fanbase or who they entail strictly down to one reason, but you can draw your own conclusions pretty easily why some do like her, which has to do with her being a lolibait type character.
Grown men liking her as adamantly as they do always made me raise an eyebrow. I know she's very popular with female fans. Which you can deduce is because she's a cute, spunky kind of character and female gamers are statically drawn to characters like that.
But I'd be lying if I didn't say her fanbase of guys kind of always gave me some bad vibes at times because I didn't know which side of the fence they sat on as to why they like her, so to speak. lol

I sincerely don't get why so much people bring up Voldo on this, I mean it's reasonable, but I don't understand it emotionally I guess.

Yeah I never saw him as sexualised before the ad, one of the reasons the ads were so bad to me. It's wrong on many levels but simply put I never saw him as a 'gimp' before, more like what you said, though I never thought all that deeply about it.
I just always (since SE) thought that this sensory deprivation was part of his training/religion/some weird pact and never seen it in a sexual way.
I loved his fighting style in SC4 although I never really took time to learn it and it hurt the most to see him so (no pun intended) gimped in SC5.

I sincerely don't get why so much people bring up Voldo on this, I mean it's reasonable, but I don't understand it emotionally I guess.
I never seen him as sexualised in any way. I just always (since SE) thought that this sensory deprivation was part of his training/religion/some weird pact and never seen it in a sexual way.
If you, for a minute, get rid of your "sexuality levels" scanner that shows high BDSM pressure on him - his fighting style is pretty brutal and (aside from wheel move and hand-carousel-grab which I always seen as more magical stuff of his abilities that he got through this training) makes sense considering that he can only feel the world through vibrations and apparently lived fully bandaged more than half of his life. Crawling on floor makes it easier to feel what's happening around and attacking legs with his claws, while turned back stance is not weird either, considering that he doesn't see world through his eyes, so it's not really much different whether he faces his opponent backwards or not.
Try moving with your eyes closed in normal way, it's really awkward and helpless. Now try for a momvent to move in that flowing way he does, it feels much better.
I always found him creepy in a cool and brutal way, not in sexual one, despite heavy BDSM undertones.
Undertones? He has heavy BDSM overtones.
He had a master-slave dynamic with Vercci, has a lot of sexual gestures (both feminine and masculine types/poses) and generally acts intentionally "creepy" to get a sexually unsettling rise out of people, which is amped up by his Katar fighting style mixed with some scorpion style kung fu stuff.
The only thing Voldo doesn't do at this point so far, is ever vocally express his pleasure for and from pain because he only speaks in grunts since his mouth is covered, which I'm more than sure he would do if he wasn't permanently gagged.

Wait, didn't Talim won that poll just because some Youtube guy sent his community to vote for her or something like that? :o

This is an incredibly asinine logic, which is surprising, because you generally say very logical stuff. An adult man doesn't need to like specifically other mature characters. Talim's attitude stands out from the cast, because despite her annoying bitching about the wind, she is a very nice character that searches for calm solutions and generally sees things others don't. In SC4, that is shown a bit, as she is the only one to find out Aeon is human in the story and she sees the guilt that Algol feels because of the death of his son, as well as solving this issue by literally freaking reviving the guy. She is the nicest character in the cast, which is a departure from the rest, so its natural people will like her regardless of their gender and age.

What? I met with Voldo first as a kid, so I never really noticed much, but after growing up, I noticed the purpose of the panties, crotch pieces, gags and whatever seems like its tying him. His moves always felt like a sex slave as well, despite attacking, he always looked submissive and using attacks with his butt and crotch. If you started the series as a child, makes sense for you to not notice sexual stuff, but after you grow up, its impossible not to see.
I'm sorry, but I've come to expect the worst when it comes to guys online who like underaged anime girl characters. A lot are unabashed about their love for underaged girl characters, while others can be in denial when approached you see a pattern with them too.
Again, as I said in my original post, I don't think all male Talim fans are like that, because that's ignorant and assumptive.
But you can't tell me with clarity that there isn't a pattern with underaged girl characters in things being über popular having some questionable reason as to why with some of them. Talim isn't exactly a deep character either. So her popularity banks on two things: her design and her fighting style.
Her personality and character is pretty meh, one-dimensional, and underdeveloped if I'm being completely honest.
Her design comes down to being and banking on being pure and cute, and people probably liking the novelty of a kid fighting grown ass characters and characters like Astaroth and Nightmare for instance.

Last edited:
In SC4, that is shown a bit, as she is the only one to find out Aeon is human in the story and she sees the guilt that Algol feels because of the death of his son, as well as solving this issue by literally freaking reviving the guy.

I remember this bothering me, and part of the reason I haven't really cared for Talim as a character. In IV, she becomes this low-key messiah character who can suddenly pull these miracles out of thin air (thanks wind?). She started to feel like a bit of a Mary Sue type.

On top of that, she helps Algol, but when she recognizes Aeon's predicament, she just beats him up and moves on. >:|

I'm sorry, but I've come to expect the worst when it comes to guys online who like underaged anime girl characters. A lot are unabashed about their love for underaged girl characters, while others can be in denial when approached you see a pattern with them too.
Again, as I said in my original post, I don't think all male Talim fans are like that, because that's ignorant and assumptive.
But you can't tell me with clarity that there isn't a pattern with underaged girl characters in things being über popular having some questionable reason as to why with some of them.

Why do I have a feeling I'm indirectly getting judged too for liking Amy now xD

Why do I have a feeling I'm indirectly getting judged too for liking Amy now xD
You like Raph though. So it's typically a packaged deal to like both. lol
Plus they're a reference to Louis de Pointe du Lac and Claudia from Interview with a Vampire. And she's a gothic character, which if you like gothic things, it's understandable her appeal since there's a whole genre and subgenre to that kind of thing.
I'm typically a little less weary of Amy fans since I assume her fans are fans of him too and know the inspiration for them and that factors into liking her aside from just liking her (design, character, and moveset).

Plus they're a reference to Louis de Pointe du Lac and Claudia from Interview with a Vampire.
I'm typically a little less weary of Amy fans since I assume her fans are fans of him and know the inspiration for them and that factors into liking her aside from just liking her (design, character, and moveset).
I always got that vibe, another thing about Amy, I always felt Amy was more doll like, a lot of her characterization shows her to be a bit mechanic, if not downright emulating Raphael rather than developing in his shadow.

As far as Talim go, I think she just hits that cute quota that a lot of people like, she was also broken as fuck in II, so there is also that.

Plus they're a reference to Louis de Pointe du Lac and Claudia from Interview with a Vampire. And she's a gothic character, which if you like gothic things, it's understandable her appeal since there's a whole genre and subgenre to that kind of thing.
I'm typically a little less weary of Amy fans since I assume her fans are fans of him too and know the inspiration for them and that factors into liking her aside from just liking her (design, character, and moveset).

I still prefer Amy over Viola even if they share the same loligothic desing (probably have something to do with the fact I like fencing, and she's left handed and French, same reason I like Raph SC4 Raph :p)

Oh, that makes me thing I didn't really apologise from judging you back when you leaked a lot of stuff before the announcement of the game. So, sorry man ^^ my bad on that.

Anyway, if Amy makes in SC6 I really hope we can turn off the armor break thingy, cuz I may like the character and all, i don't really want to see her (or anyone actually) naked xD

I always got that vibe, another thing about Amy, I always felt Amy was more doll like, a lot of her characterization shows her to be a bit mechanic, if not downright emulating Raphael rather than developing in his shadow.

Well, that is the case in the PSP game if I recall correctly.

On the subject of sexualization and nudity, I find it ridiculous that it (along with language) is seen as more taboo than violence and gore...

I have a theory, but it may be from the puritan values the US was founded on. Back then, anything involving sexuality or premarital sex was seen as bad thing to discuss, because of how intimate is. The US is also a country born from war and conflict, so that might be why there's a greater tolerance for violence in the media. I mention the US specifically, because I rarely see this reaction to sex from European countries (until the rising of SJWs). Also, in midst of all the violent scenarios we've been seeing lately (police shootings, homicides, mass murders, running over people with cars, acts of terrorism), there may be a desensitization of violence in general. But I degress...

I hate to address an elephant in the room, but.... Talim is underage and wears mid-rift clothing and a tube top in her first appearance on SCII. See through pants later on SCIV. I don't want to group why she has a big fanbase or who they entail strictly down to one reason, but you can draw your own conclusions pretty easily why some do like her, which has to do with her being a lolibait type character.
Grown men liking her as adamantly as they do always made me raise an eyebrow. I know she's very popular with female fans. Which you can deduce is because she's a cute, spunky kind of character and female gamers are statically drawn to characters like that.
But I'd be lying if I didn't say her fanbase of guys kind of always gave me some bad vibes at times because I didn't know which side of the fence they sat on as to why they like her, so to speak. lol

I wasn't aware she had such a large fan base. No offense to Talim fans, but I always thought she was somewhat insignificant, because of how minor her roles are in the story and how I barely see her [or even win] online. I thought her popularity was due to her exclusion from SCV. People wanted to have an older Talim, especially since they aged Hilde. But with her gone, there's a sudden demand to bring her back. Hence, the birth of "Muh Talim."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back