Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of fighting games, with the exception of DOA, struggle with Girl and Boy ratios. I’d really like to see a more balanced ratio, especially because I like the fighting style of females more just because it seems more fluid and a lot of the play styles consequently are the ones i prefer.

No tea, no shade, no pink lemonade.

I think it is pointless wanting to have more female characters just for the sake of having them. In Soul Calibur Lore, most key characters are females so saying we need more for visibility sake is pointless. That said, SC V should be used a parameter for these type of things considering how rushed that game was.

Also, I swear everytime a Drag Race reference appears here all I can think off is Sophitia singing Roxxxy's verse from read u wrote u.

Kilik already has more women related to him than men, actually. His most notable connections are Xianglian (former love interest, whom he killed when he went mad), Xianghua (current love interest... I mean... travel companion) and Maxi (the bff guy). He doesn't have any other really important
Edge Master? You know.....the guy who trained him for years...

Also, I swear everytime a Drag Race reference appears here all I can think off is Sophitia singing Roxxxy's verse from read u wrote u.

Sophitia would never find herself in the bottom enough to be the Boxxxy Mandrews of Soulcalibur

This whole "historical accuracy" argument is completely illogical considering that there are two sentient swords at the center of the story that can create mystical armageddon. It's a fantasy series in a vaguely historically accurate setting. Basically any fantasy series breaks the rules of "historical accuracy."
The historical accuracy thing isn't an argument though; it's a preference.

Imagine if Bamco decided to give all the new characters projectiles, and several returning characters also got projectiles. You're dealing with fireball spam every fight. Some people might say "all these fireballs don't really fit Soul Calibur." And the obvious response would be "your argument is invalid because Cervantes has had a projectile for twenty years, also Algol."

Some people like historical accuracy just like some people like female characters. That doesn't mean everything has to be accurate, just like it doesn't mean every character has to be female.

Last edited:
Something that could potentially help with the male to female ratio could be the re-introduction of bonus characters created with CaS. They'd most likely be a bit more like SC4 bonus characters by way of being mimics of the main cast, but still. Characters that previously existed only in lore (Salia, Xianglian, Toki, etc) could be implemented in the game without taking up spaces that could otherwise be occupied by fan favorites and could have the added bonus of special dialogue with the cast members they have a connection to, as well as their own unique intro and outro dialogue. I know it wouldn't necessarily be the same as more fleshed out female characters added to the main roster, but as it stands, I doubt we'll be getting more than Rival Guy and his dad as far as new characters are concerned. And hey, Amy started out as a bonus character, so a bonus from SC6 could make their way into the next game, should it be made.

There really was a big imbalance up front, but each game has been at least equal from SoulCalibur II onwards, with the exception of SoulCalibur VI with what we know so far:

Code:
Cervantes       Seong Mi-na
Hwang           Sophitia
Li Long         Taki
Mitsurugi
Rock
Siegfried
Voldo

Aeon            Ivy
Astaroth        Xianghua
Edge Master
Kilik
Maxi
Nightmare
Yoshimitsu

Raphael         Cassandra
Yun-seong       Talim

Olcadan         Setsuka
Zasalamel       Tira

Algol           Amy
                Hilde

Dampierre       Leixia
Patroklos       Natsu
Xiba            Pyrrha
Z.W.E.I.        Viola

Twinblade Son
Twinblade Papi

The historical accuracy thing isn't an argument though; it's a preference.

Imagine if Bamco decided to give all the new characters projectiles, and several returning characters also got projectiles. You're dealing with fireball spam every fight. Some people might say "all these fireballs don't really fit Soul Calibur." And the obvious response would be "your argument is invalid because Cervantes has had a projectile for twenty years, also Algol."

Some people like historical accuracy just like some people like female characters. That doesn't mean everything has to be accurate, just like it doesn't mean every character has to be female.

Historical accuracy is fact or fiction though. It either is accurate, or it is not accurate. Soulcalibur is demonstrably not accurate, so people who use historical accuracy to debunk someone else's opinion ultimately render their argument invalid, because Soulcalibur in itself is not historically accurate as much as they would prefer it to be. Also no one said every character should be female it was said that a smaller gender gap would be appreciated.

Are you familiar with the genre known as historical fiction?

Edit: How the hell can you "debunk" an opinion?

A genre in which Soulcalibur is not.

Edit : I'm tired and used the wrong word lol. I just meant counter-argue or contradict.

Last edited:
A genre in which Soulcalibur is not.
Its Soul Calibur's exact genre, actually. The game is set at a specific year, in something that is obviously our world (as you can see by notable places like Korea, China and Japan being involved) and even makes references to its time period, for example, mentioning Nobunaga Oda, probably the most famous Daimyö from the Sengoku period, which happens to be the one to cut off Yoshimitsu's arm.

Its Soul Calibur's exact genre, actually. The game is set at a specific year, in something that is obviously our world (as you can see by notable places like Korea, China and Japan being involved) and even makes references to its time period, for example, mentioning Nobunaga Oda, probably the most famous Daimyö from the Sengoku period, which happens to be the one to cut off Yoshimitsu's arm.

It's historical fantasy, if anything. And yet another pointless argument to bulk up the thread.
Historical fiction pays close attention to culture, events, locations, etc, and implements them all into the setting. Historical fantasy places the story in a setting in the past just like historical fiction but the fantasy subgenre does not focus on true events and instead creates its own, plus magic, plus supernatural entities, plus made up factions and locations. Hence, historical fantasy, not historical fiction.

It's historical fantasy, if anything. And yet another pointless argument to bulk up the thread.
Historical fiction pays close attention to culture, events, locations, etc, and implements them all into the setting. Historical fantasy places the story in a setting in the past just like historical fiction but the fantasy subgenre does not focus on true events and instead creates its own, plus magic, plus supernatural entities, plus made up factions and locations. Hence, historical fantasy, not historical fiction.
Historical fantasy is a sub-genre of historical fiction, after all, if its fantasy, it IS fictional.

Guys, I don't think "historical accuracy" has anything to do with it. The developers are men, most people who play the game are men and so most of the characters are men and the female characters are made to be sexy. They're just appealing to their main demographic. Nothing wrong with that.

Historical fantasy is a sub-genre of historical fiction, after all, if its fantasy, it IS fictional.

I said that myself. I labelled it as a subgenre. Did you turn into a parrot lol. They aren't the same and Soulcalibur doesn't fall under the former. Enough arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back