Soul Calibur Developers will help in the new super smash bros 4 wii u

Most of the melee team was actually trying to make the game competetive. Sure wavedashing was an accident but they knew about it pre-release and left it in because it was cool. Sakurai is the one who hates competitive play. Probably because he sucks.
FunFact about Sakurai: His favorite character in Brawl(Ganon) is the worst character in the game. He lost to a girl that won a local tournament who used Lucas. So Sakurai is the biggest scrub in the FG world.

Edit: Here's the funny part about the whole thing. Even Capcom said Smash was a competitive fighting game.

Here is the video if anyone wanted to see it.

We all know Pac-Man and Klonoa are the most likely guests. Possibly even Lloyd Irving, which I'd actually really like.

Though seeing Nightmare square off with Giga Bowser would be p.cool.

Interesting when you consider that Sony's own Smash clone is being worked on by competitive fighting game players, many of which are former EVO finalist (Seth Killian being the latest addition).

Interesting when you consider that Sony's own Smash clone is being worked on by competitive fighting game players, many of which are former EVO finalist (Seth Killian being the latest addition).
That game looks so lame. No offense to anyone that is looking forward to it, I'm not aware of what's going on behind the scenes with Seth Killian, but it honestly just looks like a generic smash clone. They even got the roster wrong, it just looks so uninteresting and uninspired.

Let's see what all stars can do not to be a smash clone. They have to be different. Also....smash update.

LOL, Sakurai and balance are two words that don't belong in the same the same sentence. What does a scrub like him know about balance? He just puts in what is popular.

That game looks so lame. No offense to anyone that is looking forward to it, I'm not aware of what's going on behind the scenes with Seth Killian, but it honestly just looks like a generic smash clone. They even got the roster wrong, it just looks so uninteresting and uninspired.
Well for one, there's the fact that you can't get randomed out by stage interaction. That and other tweaks designed to make it a competitive tournament worthy fighter.

Well for one, there's the fact that you can't get randomed out by stage interaction. That and other tweaks designed to make it a competitive tournament worthy fighter.
See, that's the thing. I don't understand why suddenly so many people want every game in the genre to be a competitive tournament "worthy" fighter. I guarantee that at least 60% of the people that will buy that game are not even aware of the competitive fighting game community (and most of the ones that do don't give a shit about it). My problem with the game doesn't have anything to do with it being tournament viable or not, but rather the fact that it's just an uninspired smash clone with a boring roster. Even if it becomes the most popular game at EVO I still wouldn't buy it, I'm just simply not interested at all, for casual reasons (and I bet I'm not the only one).

And I don't see why so many people suddenly put their interest in the game just because Seth is working on it. I mean, look at the shitty job he did with that broken-ass MvC3, a game poorly balanced they had to release a physical update because no patch could fix it. People are so fucking biased that I've even heard excuses like "BUT NORIK, THAT GAME IS MEANT TO BE BROKEN LOL, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FG'S AND SETH KILLIAN IS A BAWZ xD". I bet they had never even heard of this game until Seth announced he'd be in it, even though it was known to be a work in progress for a loooong time; And yet they still don't give a shit about the next Smash, which is being developed by the best of Namco's and Nintndo's staff. Hell, they even make fun of awesome games like the SFEX series and sometimes even the SC series, even though they've never actually played them. Buncha biased, close-minded assholes.

I feel like the genre is in danger again; developers are forgetting a HUGE portion of their audience: The casuals. Why? Because the people representing the fg community are a bunch of assholes SF fanboys from Shoryuken that think a fighter is only good if it's designed for tournament play. BULLSHIT.

I feel like the genre is in danger again; developers are forgetting a HUGE portion of their audience: The casuals. Why? Because the people representing the fg community are a bunch of assholes SF fanboys from Shoryuken that think a fighter is only good if it's designed for tournament play. BULLSHIT.
Developers are not forgetting the casuals, holy crap it's like all they fucking think about.
Fighters are only good from the eyes of a competitive player if they are made for competitive play. This is a competitive fighting game website. 1+1=2. What are you not getting here dude?
Also Casuals don't explore games fully so the nuances that make a game really great and competitive usually will go totally unnoticed by casuals, so making a game competitive doesn't have to take away from casual play. On the other hand stuff like SF 4 input shortcuts and ultras are there for casuals. Marvel X-factor is there for casuals. These things drastically impact competitive play. But stuff like BB's Story mode or optional items in Smash or CAS in SC are great for casuals AND don't hurt competitive play. It's BULLSHIT that you can't make both sides happy. But if you want to take the competitive out of fighters you will have nothing left. That is the heart of this genre. If you want to look at flashing lights and have winners based on luck go play Mario Party.

Brawl was specifically tailored to fuck over the competitive fan base of melee! They actually went out of their way to try to snuff out the part of their fan base that loved the game the most and still played melee ten years later.

When I first heard this news, my initial reaction was:

"The new SSB is being developed by Namco Bandai! If it plays like Tekken and/or Soul Calibur I'm gonna cum bullets!!!"

I know that's a tad silly (It was my reaction like 4 seconds after reading the news) But is it at all likely they the fighting engine will be a lot different from the other SSB games? Also, I would like to see Dig Dug in this game! ^.^V

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Developers are not forgetting the casuals, holy crap it's like all they fucking think about.
Really? That's interesting, because last time I checked SCV performed very poorly financially because casuals hated it. The few casuals that still care about the game are either people like me, trying to enter the competitive side but finding no success for a variety of reasons; or some random people that play only for the character creation and will get bored eventually.
Also Casuals don't explore games fully
Whoa, wait a second. How does the fact that I don't play in tournaments mean that I'm a scrub and only scratch the surface of the game? Yes, we do take longer to figure the most compacted stuff, but that doesn't mean we suck. I'm tired of this "Be like me or you're wrong" kind of thinking, it's immature, close minded and just plain stupid.

You do have some very good points, but you're not getting my message. I just can't stand how people that can only enjoy one kind of game say that all others are shit, but one big name pops up and suddenly their opinion changes. Most of the fg community bashed Smash way before Brawl, they just took Brawl as an excuse to justify their immature attitude. I can't wait to laugh at all the people that bashed Melee back in the day but will take PSAS seriously. It's gonna be the SFEX<SFIV scenario all over again.

Fucking hypocrites.

No, casual players don't read as far into it as the hardcore fanbase of any game. Our idea of what is casual and what isn't is different from yours, because you believe that hardcore players must be competitive. That isn't always the true for a lot of games, but it tends to be true for fighters. However, if you refuse to see the widespread dumbing down and drift towards simplicity in the game industry then there is nothing I can do to convince you. Even SCV is simplified from others in the series in a myriad of ways, it might be the most accessible one yet.

I don't think I got my point across, but rather created a completely off topic argument; So I'll just state it simply: The sudden interest of people in PSAS just because there's big names working on it results hypocritical coming from people that bashed smash for a very long time. I'll just leave it there.

That should go without saying. Seth couldn't plug the holes in the sinking ship of SFxT, why would his presence change PSAS so much?

See, that's the thing. I don't understand why suddenly so many people want every game in the genre to be a competitive tournament "worthy" fighter. I guarantee that at least 60% of the people that will buy that game are not even aware of the competitive fighting game community (and most of the ones that do don't give a shit about it). My problem with the game doesn't have anything to do with it being tournament viable or not, but rather the fact that it's just an uninspired smash clone with a boring roster. Even if it becomes the most popular game at EVO I still wouldn't buy it, I'm just simply not interested at all, for casual reasons (and I bet I'm not the only one).
EVO is growing at an exponential rate. Meanwhile, developers are now paying attention to the community. Whether you like it or not, competitive play has some value, even from a marketing standpoint.
And I don't see why so many people suddenly put their interest in the game just because Seth is working on it. I mean, look at the shitty job he did with that broken-ass MvC3, a game poorly balanced they had to release a physical update because no patch could fix it. People are so fucking biased that I've even heard excuses like "BUT NORIK, THAT GAME IS MEANT TO BE BROKEN LOL, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FG'S AND SETH KILLIAN IS A BAWZ xD". I bet they had never even heard of this game until Seth announced he'd be in it, even though it was known to be a work in progress for a loooong time; And yet they still don't give a shit about the next Smash, which is being developed by the best of Namco's and Nintndo's staff. Hell, they even make fun of awesome games like the SFEX series and sometimes even the SC series, even though they've never actually played them. Buncha biased, close-minded assholes.
The physical update had nothing to do with balance and everything to do with them needing to put out some form of update by November 2011 due to contractual obligations with Marvel.

Also, nothing is wrong with MvC3's balance. Both versions of the game have more viable characters than MvC2 - which is still considered by many to be the greatest competitive 2D fighter ever made.
Because, thanks largely in part to SFIV, competitive play does matter now. Thanks to how Capcom handled the "revival" of the genre, more and more people are actually aware of competitive play. More importantly, there is a growing sentiment, thanks to the awareness of things like EVO, that competitive play/viablity is a hallmark of a good fighting game. And, as previously stated, we have the numbers to show it.

Whoa, wait a second. How does the fact that I don't play in tournaments mean that I'm a scrub and only scratch the surface of the game? Yes, we do take longer to figure the most compacted stuff, but that doesn't mean we suck. I'm tired of this "Be like me or you're wrong" kind of thinking, it's immature, close minded and just plain stupid.
Ok dude two things here.
First off I haven't ever bashed Smash outside hating Brawl for being an truly awful game. I love Melee, it's one of my favorite games ever. I still play that shit.
Secondly, Not going to tourneys does not make you casual. Casual is somebody who doesn't play to win, and strive you improve at the game. They just play for fun(not that competitive players don't have fun), or to kill time, or to hang out with some friends, or just because they buy everything and want the achievos. If you If you play to win and strive to improve yourself as a player then you are no casual.

Nobody said "Be like me or you're wrong." Casual players can do whatever they want. But don't expect us to buy games we don't enjoy just because somebody else does.

Back