Soulcalibur VI DLC Discussion Thread

Dante wears regular present-day clothes, so I don't really consider him aesthetically appropriate, personally.
He wears fancy gothic leather trench coats, that's hardly regular in present day, but would feel right at home in SC6 aesthetics next to Maxi and Cervantes.

He wears fancy gothic leather trench coats, that's hardly regular in present day, but would feel right at home in SC6 aesthetics next to Maxi and Cervantes.
I don't see anything fancy or gothic about this design tbh. He legit just looks like a modern-day biker to me.
A couple of his older designs, maybe, but his new one would look kinda out of place in my opinion.

I don't see anything fancy or gothic about this design tbh. He legit just looks like a modern-day biker to me.
A couple of his older designs, maybe, but his new one would look kinda out of place in my opinion.

To me the only non-fancy part of the costume is his shirt. Dante's trench coat is quite fancy with shoulder pads, rivets, and belts. His shoes are definitely fancy with even more belts and metal rings, also look at that buckle. From the waist down the costume basically reminds me of SC6 Siegfried after the armor break.

While I'm thinking about it, what are we mostly expecting from the DLC? As much as it'd be nice to have a couple more costumes, I don't really want to be getting too many generic pieces. They're great, but I hope that we'll be getting at least a couple guest artist costumes.

Much as I don't care for another guest, I'd be surprised if we didn't get one.
Only other issue with that is that I can't think of a single character that's currently relevant, looks aesthetically appropriate, and has an interesting fighting style.
Thus far, any that come to mind is missing at least one of those things.

I couldn't agree more. Mostly, the it is the first element that is lacking; there's no shortage of characters it the gaming ecosystem who are decent tonal fits for the series and could be outfitted with an excellent and faithful moveset. But realistically, the character has to be someone that Namco can cross-promote; it's just too dubiously useful for either company to negotiate that license otherwise. Not many characters fit in the sweet spot in that regard. Here's just the smallest of fractions of characters I've thought might be great in Soul Calibur game in the last few years (or some longer ago) but who just weren't around at the right time:

Corvo, Daud, or Emily from Dishonored; Gabriel Belmont or Alucard, from Castelvania Lords of Shadow; One of the more contemporary iterations of the Prince of Persia; Talion (and Celebrimbor) from Shadow of Mordor/War; the Dovakhin from Skyrim (that nine-lives Breton whose somehow back in the most recent trailer would do in a pinch though!); Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn; Ryu Hyabusa from Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive (actually, I feel like that one could and should happen some day). I could go on all day, honestly. But I can recognize a lost cause when I see one.

Unfortunately, most people can't see beyond "I think it would be cool" to the realities of the situation. I see some characters suggested at times that couldn't even be rendered in Soul Calibur's engine as it stands today, because they would look too cartoony next to the increasingly photorealistic characters, and too uncanny valley if they were changed into that medium themselves.

To me the only non-fancy part of the costume is his shirt. Dante's trench coat is quite fancy with shoulder pads, rivets, and belts. His shoes are definitely fancy with even more belts and metal rings, also look at that buckle. From the waist down the costume basically reminds me of SC6 Siegfried after the armor break.

Well, I think he looks perfectly fine in terms of attire. The thing is....if I'm blunt...Dante and Devil May Cry have always felt like the most silly and sophmoric and yet somehow ridiculously over-celebrated thing ever, to me. I mean...we don't have enough of a legacy of edgelord in this franchise as is, between half the cast of SCV and now Groh? Ughh, it's just such a cornball choice, imo. And yeah, I guess you might argue that it's just all the more reason why he would fit in Soul Calibur, and I'd be hard pressed to counter that argument, honestly. But I just think that spot could go to someone better.

I was actually not at all surprised to learn not that long ago (after years about hearing the fact shared like gospel) that Dante was not in fact ever planned for inclusion in an earlier SC game--that it was just a hoax or rumour that got exaggerated with time, but has not a shred of evidence behind it. But I think despite this, he's still going to be the perennial suggestion of the "good fit" guest, because everyone is used to thinking of him as someone who was considered. Meh. I guess you really could do worse for a good fit, at the end of the day--but you could also do a lot better for a worthy choice!

Last edited:
Well, I think he looks perfectly fine in terms of attire. The thing is....if I'm blunt...Dante and Devil May Cry have always felt like the most silly and sophmoric and yet somehow ridiculously over-celebrated thing ever, to me. I mean...we don't have enough of a legacy of edgelord in this franchise as is, between half the cast of SCV and now Groh? Ughh, it's just such a cornball choice, imo.
Silly? Hell yes! Edgelord? Hells no! A character has to take him/herself overly seriously to be a proper edgelord, which Dante doesn't.

Silly? Hell yes! Edgelord? Hells no! A character has to take him/herself overly seriously to be a proper edgelord, which Dante doesn't.

Ehh, I just mean that he and the world he comes from....you know, maybe this is something that is better explained by example rather than description:

Suffice it to say, I don't think the camp with regard to DmC/Dante is always of the terribly self-aware variety. For me, anyway, there's a genuine cringe factor.

Last edited:
Ehh, I just mean that he and the world he comes from....you know, maybe this is something that is better explained by example rather than description:

Suffice it to say, I don't think the camp with regard to DmC/Dante is always of the terribly self-aware variety. For me, anyway, there's a genuine cringe factor.
That's from a 18 years old game, DMC1 at this point can legally vote and get married Kappa.
Also it has been directed by Hideki Kamiya, who left Capcom soon after. These days when people think of DMC, they think of Hideaki Itsuno's games: DMC3, DMC4 and DMC5.
And those are more like this:
And this:
If that's not self-aware, I don't know what self-awareness even is.

If Dante is to appear as a guest I hope Project Soul goes for the stylistic heroic look from DMC4 rather than the realistic stumpy leg look he has in DMC5.

Then again, doesn't dante have full on guns?

Yeah but 2B's pod has kind of opened the door for that nonsense. I wouldnt like Dante in here either and i would have said no way he'd ever get in. Now i'm not so sure. Its tough to say what line PS will and wont cross.

What i think people should realize is Dante will play roughly the same way 2B does. I said from a long time ago 2B's gameplay and combat cant translate well into SC. Despite her popularity, many have come on her expressing their dislike for this type of moveset. Since Devil May Cry and Nier both have the similar style of fighting, he's going to have to move around and attack in a similar way 2B does in order for it to be a faithful depiction of Dante.

I think that fact works against his chances thankfully. Putting him in runs the risk of attracting the exact same fans who would play Nier and already purchased 2B. I assume PS's goal would be to broaden the reach to attract different people who play different games.

Yeah but 2B's pod has kind of opened the door for that nonsense. I wouldnt like Dante in here either and i would have said no way he'd ever get in. Now i'm not so sure. Its tough to say what line PS will and wont cross.

What i think people should realize is Dante will play roughly the same way 2B does. I said from a long time ago 2B's gameplay and combat cant translate well into SC. Despite her popularity, many have come on her expressing their dislike for this type of moveset. Since Devil May Cry and Nier both have the similar style of fighting, he's going to have to move around and attack in a similar way 2B does in order for it to be a faithful depiction of Dante.

I think that fact works against his chances thankfully. Putting him in runs the risk of attracting the exact same fans who would play Nier and already purchased 2B. I assume PS's goal would be to broaden the reach to attract different people who play different games.
I see. I was more worried about projectiles. I don't like the huge amount of projectiles in the game now. Cervantes and Azwel should be enough. Taking is a bit much but ok. But there are at least four characters with a long range projectile. It makes zoning really annoying

Have we ever questioned why the structure of the DLC have changed? I believe with no guest character every character that drops would have to come with at least 15 pieces of CaS equipment and not just theirs and renditions from other games. They could be released in pairs, and then we would see 3 character releases and space for a CaS and Guest. The Guest are also kept under wraps. And there is no reason the CaS have a hint as it’s order of release. DLC numbering has no relative evidence of that being the release of a single dlc because the ordering already doesn’t make sense. And 2B is just “2B” if you go back and look at the whole list. So let’s not argue about the amount of dlc because we don’t know how all of these will be bundled. Let’s also not discount Li-Long or Dampierre because of how unpopular they are. Because if they would come along with someone else then it’s a shrug and eyeroll for me but at least they could be bundled with multiple people. Hey it could be 3 in each. Because why would they make us wait all the way until the end of 2019 to release characters that should already be done?

Stone/Rock Snow/Setsuka Yellow/Hwang Star/Algol Reptile/Lizardman Yell/HILDE
And everyone’s code name isn’t relative to their name. Would make the argument that they are mere references. Not definitions.

There is no reason why Algol, Hilde or Viola cannot be in the game because this entire story is already a retcon. Time travel has already been used in Soul Calibur 5. Astral fissures can transport individuals through space and time. So once again you could go off popularity, and fan request.

But once again we don’t know how this can all be bundled together. Hell Lizard could be Lizardman and Aeon for all we know. It could mean two people instead of just one. Star could be Algol and Yun so we don’t know.

It is indeed true should Dante be included in SC6, he will be somewhat similar to 2B, except with no pulling swords of thin air visuals, probably slower, with shorter strings, but also packing more damage per hit. Also bringing in the coolest looking Soul Charge so far.
People mostly don't have a problem with Cassandra and Amy (both of whom will be DLCs) being somewhat similar to Sophitia and Raphael, so some conceptual similarities are not the end of the world.
Also I frankly haven't seen much complaining about 2B at all, on the contrary, 95% of comments about her inclusion I see on-line are positive. She's probably the most beloved SC guest character ever at this point as far as I'm aware.
I think that fact works against his chances thankfully. Putting him in runs the risk of attracting the exact same fans who would play Nier and already purchased 2B.
Also true. Still we have to consider that while Nier: Automata and DMC5 share some gameplay mechanics and overlap in their respective fanbases, DMC5 will absolutely outsell Automata at least 2 to 1, so it will be a much larger pool of people. Also DMC5 will be a much hotter, newer, more relevant game to cooperate with, since Nier: Automata was already around two years old when 2B DLC for SC6 released while DMC5 is not even out yet and is scheduled for a March release, so a potential Dante DLC would actually be able to capitalise on Capcom's own massive marketing push for DMC5.

I see. I was more worried about projectiles. I don't like the huge amount of projectiles in the game now. Cervantes and Azwel should be enough. Taking is a bit much but ok. But there are at least four characters with a long range projectile. It makes zoning really annoying

That is part of it but there are other annoying issues with some of these characters imo. Projectiles have always been around but it should be approached a certain way and have limitations. Cervantes has always been the "pistol guy". He takes a shot here and there every five seconds or so on average. Compare that next to someone like Dante. Even if they somehow manage to balance him and force the moveset into SC, it'll look ridiculous by making the rest of the cast silly by comparison.

Ezio worked just fine because its not as if you could effectively spam ranged attacks playing Assassin's Creed. Therefore the depiction we got of him shooting a crossbow shot here and there felt accurate to Ezio and didnt make the rest of the cast look stupid by comparison.

Back