Story Mode Love it or Hate it?

Now that I definitely disagree. I would not want an extremely melodramatic sob-fest of a roster. At least Leixia brings some positivity in the roster that characters like Talim, Xianghua, Seong Mina, and somewhat Yun-Seong have been able to provide in the past. Much more variety.

The roster just needs its fair share of all types: Heroic, Knightly, Psychotic, Sadistic, Evil, Dramatic, Joyful (which is only 1), etc. Light and Dark applies to the characters as well, and not the swords.

Lexia being a positive character doesn't bother me. Xianghua, her mother, was probably the most playful veteran in the past (save for Tira). But even in her debut, she was at least mature enough to battle inferno in Astral Chaos and win. Introducing a ton of happy-go-lucky with zero substance was stupid.

Lexia being a positive character doesn't bother me. Xianghua, her mother, was probably the most playful veteran in the past (save for Tira). But even in her debut, she was at least mature enough to battle inferno in Astral Chaos and win. Introducing a ton of happy-go-lucky with zero substance was stupid.
That's because Xianghua has experience outside of the palace, being a guard. Leixia does not. Not to mention Xianghua had help.

How could you hate it?

tumblr_m8pf19o8C31qj5khwo1_500.jpg

They all lived happily ever after...

Wish Aeon would fuck shit up more.
If Soul Calibur was made by a western developer, we might be able to see that. But since its Japanese, I'd expect to see some form of melodrama, shouting, borderline nonhuman characters, etc.

Now that I definitely disagree. I would not want an extremely melodramatic sob-fest of a roster. At least Leixia brings some positivity in the roster that characters like Talim, Xianghua, Seong Mina, and somewhat Yun-Seong have been able to provide in the past. Much more variety.
Dark pasts and Tragety can range from anything as long as they are legitamently traumatizing, I too dont want excessive forced tear jerkers like Pyrha's to affect other characters to a point where its EmoCalibur but as I said tragety can be anything to what the swords to them to give them their motivations, they just need to prove that they're dangerous and that there are lives at stake.

The roster just needs its fair share of all types: Heroic, Knightly, Psychotic, Sadistic, Evil, Dramatic, Joyful (which is only 1), etc. Light and Dark applies to the characters as well, and not the swords.
I know that but they have to show that their motives are actually important to them and not just a reason that can be debated over. Their perceptions and outlook on their lives would be different for variety but they all have to show somewhere that they're realistically confident in their path treating it with seriousness shaping their lives. Talim's personality in SC2 was the product of a warrior's life. (Ignoring her justification) Pyrha is only the beginning but SC5 dragged it out without giving her neutrality with her outlook's options. Leixia is what fanfiction characters carry. The oblivious to the plot personality.

I don't think you have any idea on Arahabaki and the story around it.
My bias is its design. Looks real lame.
That's because Xianghua has experience outside of the palace, being a guard. Leixia does not. Not to mention Xianghua had help.
A light-hearted warrior should be confident and determined, thats what xianghua was. Leixia is "happy" and stupid/she could be eager but even that could still be presented in relevence to actually being a fighter. I could probably find a voice in the Soul calibur 3 CAS reel that would fit better.

While Xianghua did have fighting experience from guarding the palace, I assume that Lexia's years of training from her mother would've made her more than competent in combat. And Kilik was too tired to fight when they were sent into Astral Chaos together. With the help of Soul Calibur, Xianghua defeated Inferno in battle single-handedly. The point I'm trying to make is that there was a time when characters could be playful but still mature enough to make sense in a fighting game (even in their debut).

Dark pasts and Tragety can range from anything as long as they are legitamently traumatizing, I too dont want excessive forced tear jerkers like Pyrha's to affect other characters to a point where its EmoCalibur but as I said tragety can be anything to what the swords to them to give them their motivations, they just need to prove that they're dangerous and that there are lives at stake.
I think the term dark pasts and tragedy is the key word here. Leixia hasn't experienced any of them yet, so I don't see what she is supposed to be traumatized for in SCV. Their mission on SCV was pretty simple and didn't even require going against malfested, so I can see how everything was brief in their appearance.

My bias is its design. Looks real lame.
Compared to a tanuki? Not even close. I would still suggest looking up the background on Arahabaki.

A light-hearted warrior should be confident and determined, thats what xianghua was. Leixia is "happy" and stupid/she could be eager but even that could still be presented in relevence to actually being a fighter. I could probably find a voice in the Soul calibur 3 CAS reel that would fit better.
And Leixia isn't confident and determined? I guess. *rolls eyes*

While Xianghua did have fighting experience from guarding the palace, I assume that Lexia's years of training from her mother would've made her more than competent in combat.
Exactly. However, has she experienced what Xianghua has? Not exactly. We could assume that Xianghua has had her moments of fighting outside of the palace before SC1 events, being a guard and all. Without her mother and father at a young age, she has been able to stand on her own two feet.

And still, we are judging Leixia by quotes and a little segment in the story mode where she does appear, as opposed to Xianghua who has had that and then some (in a total of 4 games). Could the thought of PS developing Leixia into a more experienced character in future installments like Xianghua did in the past even come to our minds? Evidently not to you all, but I believe so.

Exactly. However, has she experienced what Xianghua has? Not exactly. We could assume that Xianghua has had her moments of fighting outside of the palace before SC1 events, being a guard and all. Without her mother and father at a young age, she has been able to stand on her own two feet.

And still, we are judging Leixia by quotes and a little segment in the story mode where she does appear, as opposed to Xianghua who has had that and then some (in a total of 4 games). Could the thought of PS developing Leixia into a more experienced character in future installments like Xianghua did in the past even come to our minds? Evidently not to you all, but I believe so.

We can assume. Any notion that Xianghua got a ton of experience outside of training is completely speculation.

And yes, we are judging Lexia by quotes and a little segment in the story mode where she does appear because thats all that is given to us. This is her debut, as in the first impression of what were supposed to think about her. Yes, they could develop her further in future installments, but she shouldn't have been essentially a disney princess in a fighting game in the first place. Xianghua grew more experienced as time went on, but even in her debut she had at least a some sense of responsibility.

I think Patroklos should have been more like Bardock. They were in the same role except Bardock was neutrally tempered and only cared about his friends and disrespect to his people. Patrolklos was a coin-flip.

For 20 chapters' worth, the story definitely could have been done better. This is just my personal opinion, but here's a list of things I like/dislike about the story and personality of each character.

-Patroklos has a really shitty personality up until he becomes Patsuka, and even then it's not much better, because he just turns into a generic anime hero who's gone through hell.
-Z.W.E.I. is cool, but he really should have been fleshed out more (story and gameplay-wise, lol)
-Leixia is just right.
-Natsu is a genderswapped Patroklos with Taki's moveset - a cocky, arrogant little bitch. The only difference is that she has no fashion sense and enjoys looking like a fucking prostitute, while Patroklos has swag.
-I like how Raphael's body is Dumas, AKA the new Nightmare. He should have had more relevance to the story other than his disembodied spirit going completely bonkers with his only mindset being "AMYAMYAMYAMYAMY".
-Viola desperately needs more screen time, just like Z.W.E.I.
-Pyrrha is a clone of Noel Vermillion - a timid, moeblob whore whose only redeeming qualities are 1.) She's not flat like Noel and 2.) She gets a cooler, evil form in Oprah, just like Noel and Mu-12.
-Siegfried is totally awesome and stuff in this game. Easily the manliest, most badass, and most improved character personality-wise in the game. More manly than Mitsurugi and even the mighty Algol, but just short of Cervantes-level manliness.
-Hilde is the exact same as she was in 4, and has no screentime whatsoever. Which is boring.
-Xiba needs to undergo A LOT of character development in order for me to like him as a Kilik replacement.
-Ivy was handled pretty well, in all honesty. But we all know everyone only cares about how she has a homunculus body that's forever sexy at 32.
-Cervantes should have been plot-relevant. He just got back from being transported to another dimension, freed himself from Soul Edge's influence, absorbed the energies within the dimension to get his old pre-malfestation body back, and made his way back to the real world after only 5 years. And all the story the writers give him is "Cervantes came back from the dead and went on another killing spree just so people would know he's back, the end." What the fuck.
-We all know Aeon is the writers' favorite to fuck around with at every turn, but in this game he got a massive boost in badassery with his bird wings and fire breath. I see much more room for improvement here. Aeon with voice actors in SC6, anyone?
-Tira has become quite the little evil mastermind. Let's hope she stays that way.
-Mitsurugi is the same as ever. In this case it's a good thing because he's still badass.
-Maxi is the same as ever. In this case it's a good thing because he's still badass.
-Voldo needs to get over his gay obsession with Soul Edge and his beloved Vercci and seek a new job in a traveling circus that doubles as an assassin guild or something.
-I wish I could say something about Yoshimitsu, but there's nothing too wrong or right with him.
-Astaroth is an extremely boring character who only exists for the sole purpose of fucking everyone's shit up because the old one hates everything and the new one is a blank slate given orders to fuck shit up.
-Elysium is an interesting new addition, being the embodiment of Soul Calibur and all.
-Nothing to say about Edge Master, Algol, or Kilik.

OMG! ^THIS!! I've been saying this ever since SC3, and it's so obvious, but I guess they needed more villains.
I agree! Astaroth just seems to exist simply for the purpose of pissing people off, Cervantes has become steadily less of a threat as the games have progressed, and even Nightmare seems much less significant. And Algol I don't count because i'm still hoping they'll get rid of that pointless boss character as soon as possible.

I agree! Astaroth just seems to exist simply for the purpose of pissing people off, Cervantes has become steadily less of a threat as the games have progressed, and even Nightmare seems much less significant. And Algol I don't count because i'm still hoping they'll get rid of that pointless boss character as soon as possible.
Not to mention Pyrrha going back to her brother.The only villains I consider to be relevant in the center at this point are Tira, and somewhat Nightmare, with Voldo and Astaroth only being henchmen. Cervantes was lost on a boat somewhere when Project Soul made the story mode.

I still think Xiba and Natsu could be great villains since they both have some crazy genes (or demons) in their spirit. I heard Yoshimitsu is cursed as well. Would be a nice development for their parts, and hopefully Leixia's too since it could give her better insight on what Soul Edge itself can do and could put her in the heroine position that her mother was in SC. The hero assisting her? *makes a wish and crosses fingers*

With Nightmare having better intelligence and bureaucratic skills, if Raphael's physical body does turn out to be Graf Dumas, maybe this could give him a chance at being a smarter and manipulative villain that the roster does lack, unless you count Tira but Tira knew exactly who to target.

Astaroth, Aeon, and Voldo need their own perspectives in the story modes, which I'm sure could help improve their characters. Maybe have Voldo's point-of-views and visual standpoint much different from the other characters. Aeon too.

Not to mention Pyrrha going back to her brother.The only villains I consider to be relevant in the center at this point are Tira, and somewhat Nightmare. Cervantes was lost on a boat somewhere when Project Soul made the story mode.

I still think Xiba and Natsu could be great villains since they both have some crazy genes (or demons) in their spirit. I heard Yoshimitsu is cursed as well. Would be a nice development for their parts, and hopefully Leixia's too since it could give her better insight on what Soul Edge itself can do and could put her in the heroine position that her mother was was SC.

With Nightmare having better intelligence and bureaucratic skills, if Raphael's physical body does turn out to be Graf Dumas, maybe this could give him a chance at being a smarter and manipulative villain that the roster does lack, unless you count Tira but Tira knew exactly who to target.
I would love it if a possessed Natsu caused Lexia and Xiba to grow up. And OMG yes! Pyrrha being the new Nightmare would've made such a better plot line than her going back to Patroklos.

I was thinking about it yesterday but I kind hope that Pyrrha goes back to being Pyrrha O. o 3olll I love the raw power she has when she's like that! Thats one of the reasons I like her move-set hahah its all brute force~....

oh yeah the topic

Out of all of them they really, REALLY, need to show Hilde some more love :( Her personality has not changed since the last game, which is positive, but I wanna see more to her! I dont want her to be all "ITS FOR MY HOMELAND! HOMELAND,or I will sex you up for my--HOMELAND!!.
If they keep her like that she would be no different than Justice boy >__>;( I will breathe...FOR JUSTICE.)

-Voldo needs to get over his gay obsession with Soul Edge and his beloved Vercci and seek a new job in a traveling circus that doubles as an assassin guild or something.
I find it amusing you said that because Voldo is eerily similar to Venom from GG in terms of characterization.

I find it amusing you said that because Voldo is eerily similar to Venom from GG in terms of characterization.
I believe Voldo is just overly obsessed with Soul Edge, and anyone who has it. Venom is a homosexual and has a big crush on Zato-1, or at least that's what I've heard.

Back