Story Mode Love it or Hate it?

The story was alright for the alexanrdas but we want stories for other characters
But if they do that they should see the sucess of the story modes the blazblue and guilty gear series had. THAT is how you do a good story mode in a fighting game
And also if your going to use drawings for most of the story then at least have the fucking decency tocmake them transition properly for fucks sake
That would only work if they stopped trying to etell the same old story by reusing the same redundant anime stereotypes for characterization over and over. The cliches are more distracting than they need to be. I personally am not a fan that.
images

Changing character roles would be a start. I mean maybe they should make Leixia's role as a chinese princess or -whatever she is- a more serious point for her character's development or attachment to why people would want to find her. Maybe instead of wanting to leave just to look for boys or whatever crap, she should be forced to find soul calibur for her mother or to bring back her father and the necklace kilik gave her could be like a dragon radar thing. Or make her interesting like Mulan or something not some air-headed skip-to-my-lou dumbass. Which leads me to Xiba, the worst attempt at a Goku clone I've ever seen. I mean really, his obsession is MEAT BUNS? He constantly wails for food? What an empty, annoying and worthless character.

You know SC will never have a "Good" story right? Keep you expectations low and you'll never be disappointed. I knew they story wasn't going to be that great right when they announced SCV. There is one thing I can say though, at least SCV's story mode actually tells a damn story unlike the other games.

History of Story Modes in SC.

SB: Short wall of text before every level like a book sort of.
SCI: Can't say, never played it.
SCII: Wall of text after last level. Random shit everywhere.
SCIII: Paragraph before each level with a cut scene after the last level. Who knows if these endings where even canon.
SCIV: Wall of text before 1st level, short cut scene after last level that is non canon unless you're Siegfried.
SCV: Paragraph before each level, cut scenes before major story events. All canon.

That would only work if they stopped trying to etell the same old story by reusing the same redundant anime stereotypes for characterization over and over. The cliches are more distracting than they need to be. I personally am not a fan that.
images

Changing character roles would be a start. I mean maybe they should make Leixia's role as a chinese princess or -whatever she is- a more serious point for her character's development or attachment to why people would want to find her. Maybe instead of wanting to leave just to look for boys or whatever crap, she should be forced to find soul calibur for her mother or to bring back her father and the necklace kilik gave her could be like a dragon radar thing. Or make her interesting like Mulan or something not some air-headed skip-to-my-lou dumbass. Which leads me to Xiba, the worst attempt at a Goku clone I've ever seen. I mean really, his obsession is MEAT BUNS? He constantly wails for food? What an empty, annoying and worthless character.
Leixia is just a high-class girl with no knowledge of the outside world. While that role is typically what the princess plays, Leixia apparently, isn't a princess. She'll learn mainly through experience.

You're so skeptical about EVERYTHING. Take a damn chill pill for once. The new characters are just getting their debut, unlike the wide array of veterans, so of course they are not going to change into developed characters overnight. Hence, the phrase "they have potential to be better from where they are now", which I utter constantly. You make it sound as though the Soulcalibur series is dead.

why do people hate sciv? I loved that story mode! Talims ending and ivy's ending and cassandra's ending? endings for everyone! :D

why do people hate sciv? I loved that story mode! Talims ending and ivy's ending and cassandra's ending? endings for everyone! :D
Most people like it for that reason. I don't though, I dislike non-canon fluff that's there just to be there. All of their endings were non-canon but Sieg's. I like SCV's better just because every piece of it is canon.

Most people like it for that reason. I don't though, I dislike non-canon fluff that's there just to be there. All of their endings were non-canon but Sieg's. I like SCV's better just because every piece of it is canon.
I prefer the best of both worlds like Mortal Kombat.

I'm thinking many of Soul Blade's Edge Master endings were canon as well. I know Li Long's was canon.

EDIT: So every character's Edge Master ending was either semi-canon (Seong Mina, Hwang) or canon (Li Long, Rock, Taki). Sophitia's is non-canon though.

Leixia is just a high-class girl with no knowledge of the outside world. While that role is typically what the princess plays, Leixia apparently, isn't a princess. She'll learn mainly through experience. You're so skeptical about EVERYTHING. Take a damn chill pill for once. The new characters are just getting their debut, unlike the wide array of veterans, so of course they are not going to change into developed characters overnight. Hence, the phrase "they have potential to be better from where they are now", which I utter constantly. You make it sound as though the Soulcalibur series is dead.
Excuses, its absolutely irrepressible story telling. They should have thrown in more of a serious complex to her regardless. Debute or not its the first impression on the likability of a character. Look back to when Zasalamel was created and debuted, he was all about characterization. You can argue how well it was done he was at least rounded enough to understand his puporse see his worth to the story, even if he's a boss. Or when Talim was created, instant likability, she had personality and character that wasn't stereotypical or redundant. Leixia could have been presented so much better then this. On sight I already found her irritating because of how she introduced herself. Okay, she's royalty right? Never seen the outside world right... so wouldnt she atleast have the tsundre trope tied to only living in a regal lifestyle? Most characters like her do, if she has only lived a spoiled life then she should be too. Sure thats cliche itself but its character. Soul calibur IMO could use a Tsundre character. We have enough cutie-pies. At this point it might as well be dead. But, for arguement I still thought it was horribly conveyed. These characters have no personality whatsoever. Just saying. Of all games this one for sure should have had a tales-of-souls for the sake of this establishment considering all these new *unlikable* characters we've had thrown at us so impulsively.

My wall of text about how they don't have room to develop FG character's personalities is around here somewhere. The main reason is that fans complain when a character's personality changes. Just imagine Cassandra without her head of her ass. People would hate that because they're used to Cass being an ass.

Excuses, they could have thrown in more of a serious complex to her regardless. Debute or not its the first impression on the likability of a character. Look back to when Zasalamel was created and debuted, he was all about characterization.
Zasalamel was a boss character, so of course his presence was going to be brought out more during that time, but look at how he was in SCIV?

Tira was everywhere in SC3, and her double personality equals character development in itself. At least now that she has been in 3 games, she is beginning to develop even more.

Setsuka who, as much as I loved her appearance, had little to no characterization when she debuted. She just had a grudge on Mitsurugi, and the very thing she did in her SC3 ending, she did in her SC4 ending, canonically. At least now is when she finally gets character development, even though it is off-screen.

So instead of having a young charismatic girly "cliche", you roll with another anime "cliche"? Yeah I get it.

As far as the current roster, Leixia is already one of a kind in the "young charismatic girl" trope, unlike others who are as negative, cold-hearted, sadistic, egotistical and sad as can be. She certainly doesn't need the Tsundere trope. Leave that to another character. In fact, my dream character is a Tsundere from what I pictured.

My wall of text about how they don't have room to develop FG character's personalities is around here somewhere. The main reason is that fans complain when a character's personality changes. Just imagine Cassandra without her head of her ass. People would hate that because they're used to Cass being an ass.
Well I dont expect characters to literally grow up more even need them to mature in the sense that RPGs need, but the variety of character dynamism is critical for the cast considering how limited it is for them to actually show their worth to the series itself. Also no doubt being forced to listen to some of them more often then others makes it important that these characters are at least engaging or memorable... at least enough to listen to and intice you to pick them over others.

Zasalamel was a boss character, so of course his presence was going to be brought out more during that time, but look at how he was in SCIV?
Well actually I mentioned him knowing that because Inferno had nothing to him at all, and neither did that pussy algol. Of all the bosses he had the most depth to his motivations and personal interaction with the characters that tried to fight him. He was also the most involved and actually engaged himself with people. (clock tower)

Tira was everywhere in SC3, and her double personality equals character development in itself. At least now that she has been in 3 games, she is beginning to develop even more.
Tira was amazing on debut, though lost that lure to her now slowly getting redundant in her actions and getting more flirty then sinister. She was very engaging in SC3, SC4 just featured her but her ending IMO was the best considering her dark concience fought with her reverence for nightmare, intiment or not. Really good. SC5 she didnt really come off as serious as she did in SC3 despite doing the same thing. In SC3 she was more fixated on her goal and aggresive. In SC5 she was just... almost trolling Pyrha.

Setsuka who, as much as I loved her appearance, had little to no characterization when she debuted. She just had a grudge on Mitsurugi, and the very thing she did in her SC3 ending, she did in her SC4 ending, canonically. At least now is when she finally gets character development, even though it is off-screen.
To me she should have just had a kid with Mitsu then end it there.

So instead of having a young charismatic girly "cliche", you roll with another anime "cliche"? Yeah I get it.
Okay, I was contradicting myself there but, I just cant stand those ditzy teenyboppers. Storywise they cant develop unless they are the lead character where as Tsunderes just have to accept the fact that they're bitches and walk in the shoes of who they abuse. Its a lot faster and more dynamic then the unrealistic motif Leixia is advertising.

As far as the current roster, Leixia is already one of a kind in the "young charismatic girl" trope, unlike others who are as negative, cold-hearted, sadistic, egotistical and sad as can be. She certainly doesn't need the Tsundere trope. Leave that to another character. In fact, my dream character is a Tsundere from what I pictured.
What's use is a bubble-gum pop girl in a story about death, haunting and destruction of homelands? Most villagers should think she's insane. If she was really Soul Calibur's repunzelle and her wanting to see the world is her conflict then that should be the frustration in her character, she shouldn't be happy about it. Even scared of the world that has monsters and demons trying to kill you... not happy❤.

SC5 so far skipped a lot for her, and thus she shows no actual hint she even came from a wealthy family or even a strict one.

What's use is a bubble-gum pop girl in a story about death, haunting and destruction of homelands? Most villagers should think she's insane. If she was really Soul Calibur's repunzelle and her wanting to see the world is her conflict then that should be the frustration in her character, she shouldn't be happy about it. Even scared of the world that has monsters and demons trying to kill you... not happy❤
Given her mission in SCV (story-wise, mainly helping Xiba get Kali-Yuga in which they easily succeeded), her parents and homeland not affected by anything (just yet), and...still, the excitement of getting out of the palace (like any typical teenager) that wasn't the case, and certainly shouldn't be given her situation. Maybe later on is where it can change, but now? Certainly not.

Pyrrha's situation was different, since she not only lost her parents, but lost her husband, got imprisoned, and is malfested (which she can't control), so of course her personality is different from Leixia's.

And then you have Natsu who has a demon in her body, which she is able to control at the moment. However, she was ridiculed as a child because of it, so I do picture her to be a little anti-social, except to those she trusts, or those who just don't give a damn.

Tira...she's just freaking crazy.

Lexia it is only...plain, don't get me wrong most/all of the new characters are, but Lexia case is especial, cuz she just is random. She is a pretentious child, Xiba it is not worse just cuz he is the carefree monk....
You see, she acts like she is playing and she acts like she is strong, not like Mi-Na that only did out of self confidence, Lexia does out of pure arrogance, and she is lookig for bloody love....just because her mother had such nice love in her journey.... I won't say I hate her....but when she say "I done with this" because she got a ring out....It is just too much.

Pyrrha's situation was different, since she not only lost her parents, but lost her husband, got imprisoned, and is malfested (which she can't control), so of course her personality is different from Leixia's.
I never said I hated Pyrha. Though her voice made me forget she was old enough for a husband. despite that I liked Pyrha's story and admired its tragic feel. She was even sent to prison on top of that. (shame we dont have a stage for it) but I admire the fact that its the type of story ALL the characters should have.

And then you have Natsu who has a demon in her body, which she is able to control at the moment. However, she was ridiculed as a child because of it, so I do picture her to be a little anti-social, except to those she trusts, or those who just don't give a damn.
^Pyrrha was sold off as a slave too. Lol
And shes still not nightmare yet? damn. Though the game showed the opposite. She needs to become stronger, period. One of the many things that broad statement includes, because stronger means mentally and emotionally fiercer as well.

I never said I hated Pyrha. Though her voice made me forget she was old enough for a husband. despite that I liked Pyrha's story and admired its tragic feel. She was even sent to prison on top of that. (shame we dont have a stage for it) but I admire the fact that its the type of story ALL the characters should have.
Now that I definitely disagree. I would not want an extremely melodramatic sob-fest of a roster. At least Leixia brings some positivity in the roster that characters like Talim, Xianghua, Seong Mina, and somewhat Yun-Seong have been able to provide in the past. Much more variety.

The roster just needs its fair share of all types: Heroic, Knightly, Psychotic, Sadistic, Evil, Dramatic, Joyful (which is only 1), etc. Light and Dark applies to the characters as well, and not the swords.

Though the game showed the opposite. PS, her demon sucks... it should have been a RacoonDog or a dragon or something created by soul edge.
I don't think you have any idea on Arahabaki and the story around it.

Back