Story Mode Love it or Hate it?

WildDog12

[08] Mercenary
So anyways as many of you have already done and played story mode. How did you like or dislike it? What's your thoughts on how it was done? I didn't like it but I want to see how others felt about it so here is this new thread. I just hope this is in the right forum because I'm new to the site and don't know if discussing this would be considered casual or not. xD

Hate it..the characters is too focused on alexandra's,so i guess i understand why idle said that story didnt affect for the roster. And this is the evidence, every other characters is just there in the story mode...for the sake of being there , they were only meant to be played. Where is the point of viola as an important character? NO!It is too terrible, when i think of the story mode i meant to think that the story wont be too focused on one/two characters alone..look i know this is a fighting game, story is secondary, but take a look at arc system works, they can make a story that makes almost everyone who is playable involved inside the story.

I like the concept but I hate how they went about it. It didn't really mention characters actually in the thing like Viola, Zwei, Ivy. They were just kinda there and nothing was explained about them at all.

When I heard the story was 19 or 20 episodes I thought it would be long. It sure as hell didn't take much time at all to compete.

I like it, but I don't love it. If it didn't have characters excluded, and didn't focus solely on the Alexandxx siblings, maybe then I would love it.

it's lousy and when compared against a great story mode like Blazblue's it's even lousier. It's one of the several aspects of the game that feels rushed because of Namco.

While SC4's intro cinematic felt lacking (mainly because of the focus of only a few characters) I felt that story mode felt whole while focusing only on the main characters in the series. I was expecting to play as siegfried and viola for a little bit but that never happened. Thats ok though, as the story mode was strictly for the story and not represented of the entire SC5 experience so I didn't let that hold me back.

Pretty much hated it. The main character is arrogant and stubborn as hell, and his sister is incredibly gullible and annoying to play as. When I stab somebody through the chest I don't want my character to say "I'm sorry!".

I disliked the horrible holes in the plot, like "What the hell happened to Z.W.E.I?", or "What happened to Tira?".
I disliked the lack of cutscenes and what they substituted for them instead.
I disliked the cheesy writing.

I disliked that they neglected to mention anything at all concerning the journey of the 4 Asians, Cervantes, Aeon, Algol, Mitsurugi, and I'm sure I missing a few others. I thought the story was preventing certain characters from making it into the game (Like Taki being too old to be a ninja at this point), yet half the cast doesnt appear in the story at all. After seeing the story I see no reason why older characters couldn't have returned.

But it was better than having no narrative at all, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it a little bit. For example, I really enjoyed the first ending. You know, the ending before the time warp and ACTUAL ending.

Edit: Oh, and first post. Hello, 8-way!

I honestly enjoyed the story mode... who am I kidding, I freaking loved it!. Sure, it would have been nice to have more characters involved similar to Mortal Kombat 9's story, but oh well. I was somewhat disappointed that there were no character-specific endings in this game, but after some thought, I was happy that we got the true ending to this game instead of a bunch of what-ifs. If a SC VI is going to be made, I wonder how they're going to explain how both swords came back after what I saw in the ending (which was amazingly scored by the way). Speaking of the ending, I liked how we finally got to see Soul Calibur's true colors, and how it's in many ways, the same as Soul Edge.

I'm torn. I mean, the story is much better then 4. 4 was GOD awful. Yet, 4 had character specific endings and such...

Well, I will say that this is almost as bad as 4, and no where near as great as 2 and 3's story

Hate.

The main narrative was solid, but the thousands of loose ends that the writers dredged up and then proceeded NOT to finish was appalling. When a writer grabs us by the nuts by providing an interesting generation jump but then decides to not explain anything that happened in between the two games, that's bad. Even worse when the characters mention one another, yet there's nothing, and I mean nothing, in the realm of explaining things. (Do you know what the Calamity is? I don't know, that's for sure.)

The best example of this is Z.W.E.I. and Graf Dumas. Graf Dumas obviously indicates that he doesn't like Z.W.E.I., but they sure as hell don't tell us why through the course of the story.

Another one: When Maxi mentions "Remember the last time you trusted someone because of their face." I know he's talking to Leixia, but in a way, he's talking to us. Guess what, we don't even know what the hell you're talking about because we have no recollection of this otherwise potentially humorous event.

Overall, the story breached the level of unacceptable shoddiness by not finishing what it started in the supporting roles or noted stuff that wasn't explained at all. It was as if the mode was written by a terrible fanfiction writer who assumed we knew about everything at the author level.

Wow, you put it perfectly. The only reason I could think that this main story was written like this was because they had character start and endings in arcade which explained more about these little ties and whatnot. However, these were cut for time, and we were left with this.

And if they never planned for Arcade endings and such, then they must have gotten a writer from fanfiction.net

/rimshot

The best it can amount to is lackluster. Namco pretty much crapped on every character that wasn't in the story.

I kinda liked it. It did leave something to be desired though, but meh. I actually cared what happened to Pat and Py-py, so mission accomplished I guess. And also like that Ivy finally had a role in the story rather than being random boob chick.

After SCIV theres no way it could have gotten worse when your already at the bottom the only way left to go is up and thats what SCV did, in conclusion i liked it, but didn't love it, it could have been a lot better, but ehh for what it's worth twas' a nice tale even if the focus was mainly on Patroklos.

SCIII is still the champion of Story Mode since it actually had Two, one for the main cast and one for your CaS, 1ST SCIII with SCV at 2ND place. Also after Story Mode, i think ZWEI is cool and has a really awesome personality, too bad Viola's personality didn't get to shine through as much as ZWEI's did, but i guess thats because she only really talks to ZWEI.

8/10 overall.

What about SC2? The story mode there was good.

I rate it 3->2->5->crap->4

I forgot 1's and edges, so can't rate those.

Just thinking outloud here, but what are the chances of DLC story modes for other characters? I would pay $5 for a 20 episode story like Cerv/Night/Ivy/Aeon or "the Asians".

Back