Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Brawl is definitely better with items, especially compared to Melee. Some people have suggested that that's another way Sakurai said "Fuck you" to the hardcore Melee fans.

Yeah, it was a great game for what it was supposed to be, sumo platforming with a bunch of Nintendo characters. They intentionally took out nearly all advanced techs and slowed the game down significantly to make it enjoyable by any type of player, and they did it wonderfully. It's alot easier to pick up and play.

What doesn't make it competitive is the extremely lowered ceiling for skill at the game vs. character choice. Because of the changes to the game engine, fucking up a few times usually only means you take a bit of damage instead of losing a stock; even moderate players using MK/Snake would beat a skilled player using anyone from the lower half of their tier list almost every time. (And we complain about Hilde? lol.)

What Ceirnian said about items, kinda works. I was in charge of running Brawl tournies back at WCU (large casual population, always got voted in) and I had items on to make it more interesting. Though half of the items in the game seem to have a chance of exploding on contact/fucking with the user instead, so I toned the item list down to at least things that wouldn't one-hit-kill players. We got less complaints after that.

You can turn off capsules and boxes, which eliminates things randomly exploding. Things like bombombs and deku nuts aren't a huge problem since you can see them coming.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said we toned it down. After taking in opinions, any item that had a random chance of exploding (containers) and items our players considered 'overpowered' (smash balls, home run bats etc.) were turned off in future tournaments.

I just find it sad that items are made so much more powerful than the characters are.

I dont understand how making a game totally noncompetetive makes it enjoyable to any type of player. Its certainly not enjoyable to me, Any versus game that is not properly competetive is boring as shit to me.

Because some... err, many people like winning, but they're too damn lazy to put effort into it. Thus they enjoy stupid party games like Mario Kart, Mario Part, or Brawl. They tend to be gigantic scrubs, since random ass-pull wins are fine, but only if they work out for them.

Back