Taki Study Discussion:

ChaCha

[10] Knight
Please post any responses, issues or questions about or with the study, here.

Please don't go off topic, and pm halister with any questions specific to his study methods.

cha cha

Taki Study discussion:

This is just a personal oberservation from online and against the AI, but i would appear to me taht Taki has become alot more "control" based. what i mean by this is that if she is able to start and keep her control she is almost garenteed a win, where if she is unable to gain that control to begin with then your basicly finished, the only situation i've found this doesn't work is when its Taki vs. Taki. Anyone else notice this? i seen it a bit in SC3 but not enough to really enough to make THAT big a difference.

Taki Study discussion:

you're basing your observations on online play and against AI? uhh, not solid at all. Online is horrible for Taki and AI is just horrible in general.

She can gain "control" easily, but she has many tools to punish, pressure, and so soul damage easily. She doesn't have to start or keep control because she can do that at will pretty much.

But, keeping control is the same for everyone. If you are in command of the match, you're probably going to win.

Taki Study discussion:

Taki online is quite difficult I've found.
To be good with her you need 100% responsiveness.
I can punish people with kicks, but against good players this won't do.

Taki Study discussion:

My connection isn't that great but I have no trouble playing online.

Things are still hit-checkable, GIs are ok, lows can be blocked, throws can be escaped, etc.

The only thing to caution against are bad habits that might develop from the style of play that is prevalent online. But I don't think this has been an issue for me.

I think playing online has been very valuable as practice. Because people play much more aggressively than my offline comp I often have to re-think and adjust my strategy. I would say that I've actually gotten better at planning ahead because of this and am less likely to let certain habits and tendencies dictate how I play.

Because Taki has a broad range of tools and counter-tools it's good (especially for newer players) to get a broad range of competition as well. Online can give you that provided you have a good connection.

Taki Study discussion:

Great study. I've followed your Taki strats for a very long time. In your 1B,A section 1B,A-->PO A is indeed uninterruptable on block, but you didnt mention the first hit is SSRable (unless I overlooked it). I havent tested with every character yet, but it definitely works with voldo REGARDLESS of ring position or proximity. SSR A+B, 66B, 66:B, 2A+B236, CR K beats the PO A clean for ~57 damage. SSR in general seems to be problem for all PO shifts with similar frame advantage.

Taki Study discussion:

caveman: i've also noticed that PO A doesn't cut step as well to taki's left (ie. step right works), but only on PO strings with little disadvantage, such as AB PO on block. on hit i've found that the opponent doesn't have enough time to step without getting hit though. what this means for the opponent is that if they can spot PO strings on block, step right will avoid many of taki's PO options (but taki has other options of course).

interestingly, i tested out taki v taki, and after 1BA PO on block, i wasn't able to step PO A to either side without getting hit by PO A. taki's step is pretty good, so i'm surprised this happened with voldo. are there properties to A+B that allow voldo to avoid PO A (TC, step, etc)?

Taki Study discussion:

against 1B,A-->PO A (fastest input) Voldo's SSR A+B wins everytime. The sidestep avoids the first hit of PO A consistently and A+B tech crouches the second hit. You can actually passively SSR when you have similar frame (dis)advantage and confirm what to do. Also, I had trouble stepping it consistently at first as well. Taki has alot of frame advantage so you have to step pretty late after the block. After realizing that, its definitely possible to work into gameplay.

Edit:

So it does seem character/step class specific. Voldo, Cervy, Asta, Amy, etc. can SSR PO A at -2 while the sisters, taki, raph, lizzy, etc cannot

Taki Study discussion:

Is Taki's running K any good? I notice she has an extra hit on it that doesn't ring out, but does 40ish damage.

Taki Study discussion:

I believe its pretty good cause its a low-mid horizontal attack that cannot be avoided easily. Also Im not sure about this but I think that it ends in a TC so you can mix up some while rising moves. Correct me if im wrong on this one.

Taki Study discussion:

I believe its pretty good cause its a low-mid horizontal attack that cannot be avoided easily. Also Im not sure about this but I think that it ends in a TC so you can mix up some while rising moves. Correct me if im wrong on this one.

You are wrong.

Running is bad in this game, that slide kick is not safe on block. She will not do the second kick if the first is blocked and you can get up and block the B if she tries to do the 2 hit slide kick into the dive attack. The Slide kick on block is -18 at least.

If you try to mix it up, 66B from a dead run actually misses like 50% of the time and will leave Taki super open to punishment.

In otherwords, it's not good.

Taki Study discussion:

I agree that running is not very safe and the chances using it are not that high. I guess I still have a lot to learn :P

Taki Study discussion:

Sometimes, PO K becomes s-mid, but sometimes it doesn't.

Seems to happen on:
CH 4A PO K
CH AB PO K if the A whiffs
CH 1BA PO K if the 1B whiffs
CH BB PO K if the first B whiffs (input is BBB214 for PO)
CH BA PO K if the B whiffs

It also happens when you CH PO K followed by another PO K. But unlike CH PO K -> PO K where the second PO K does not cause a stun, this PO K DOES cause a stun.

The only advantage I can see is if they try to duck (but not use a TC move) after a PO setup to get under both PO A and PO K. For example, you can duck even under CH AB PO K or CH 1BA PO K. But if you whiff with the first attack but the 2nd connects, the PO K will hit them as they try to duck. Of course if they crouch AND block, then they'll block the s-mid.

Also:
on CH 1BA, it the causes a stun if the 1B whiffs.
It's possible on a person standing in front of you to get 4 results from 1BA:
Connect with 1B, whiff with A. Do this by standing at the absolute maximum range for 1B.
Whiff 1B, connect with A. Do this by standing just outside the absolute maximum range for 1B. This actually works if you use starting position distance, thus 1BA may actually be an interesting move to start the round with.
Whiff with both
Connect with both

Taki Study discussion:

hello everyone...i'm new in the soul calibur series. SC4 is my first game of the series and I'm really liking it and have chosen taki as my main and sophie too. I've been playing for about a month now but still can't seem to win with taki. I've read halister's guide and it's really helpful but still I can't win...I can win with sophie a lot easier compared to taki ( I lose easily. lol!!!) most of my opponents use asta, mitsu, sieg, knightmare etc...most have longer reach than taki and getting close is a pain. I really love taki and won't change her as my main, I'd rather lose a lot than change characters but of course, like everyone else, I hate to lose so can anyone help me start winning. I have no problems doing combos...it's just that I can't start doing those combos, I feel that winning with taki is a lot more difficult compared to other characters...

Back