Talim Video Archive

talimmaster:

Ice wind combo can be tough to do sometimes. I, myself, get it working a lot, but even I slip up on occasion. Not trying to brag, just making the point that the move isn't always easy to pull out at will.

Seems to me the easiest way to do it is to mash the first 236A just as the A+B hits the opponent and then do the next 236B after a half second delay. Harder to explain than it is to do, but usually if you can get the first two parts, the third gets easier. For me it's always the second part (236A) that gets me.

Monsoon Season is actually MUCH easier. Simply do 236B+G and then do 214B (or 214A) right after. you technically have until Talim lands on the ground to do the second part, but it's so much easier to do it all in one motion without pausing.

So it's basically this: :2::3::6::B:+:G::2::1::4::B:...or...:2::3::6::B:+:G::2::1::4::A:

Also, if it helps you, you can mash the 214B/A immediately following 236B+G instead of doing it one time. Doing it this way should make it easier to land. Hope this helps!

thanks man i'll take those tips into consideration.

Aight folks, here's some more casuals from our latest sessions.

And even though it didn't work this time, I was glad to finally get the Double Windsault JF caught on film in the last vid.

Got around to seein all the vids- good work and better than your last ones. Less input errors as well.
Good GIs and combos.

In the first set (against Malice) you ate a lot of damage when you tried :4::B::B: on him (so watch out usin that move on him, esp the hold version).

I think you used most of the moves (good variety) although some combos you didn't go for max damage (BT :B:, :3::B:, :(A):, :2:_:8: WC :B:::B:, :A::A::B: instead of the :A::+::B:, :2::3::6::A:, :2::3::6::B: finish- but good style points, haha).

I use more :6::A::+::B: (good reach, sometimes strange hotbox, and push back on block at long distance), sidestep :2::2::A: (hits from an angle so some people don't expect it to hit and don't block (similar to :2:_:8: WC :A::+::K:), didn't see any :6::A:, :K:.
Up to you though cause everyone has their own style and it looks like your doin fine.

The link for Sporko 2 is wrong (it's the InsaneKhent 2 link).

Hey Talim_JP. Thanks for the input.

I agree about the GB version of :4::B::B:, and although it's a good move to sneak in there (due to it's great SG damage) I'll try to be more careful with it from now on.

The BT :B:, :3::B::(A):, WC :B:::B: :A::A::B: combo is the one combo I can't land as often in a real match. I can do it pretty consistently in training mode though. Otherwise I would have definitely used it every time. Also the combo seems to work differently for different sized characters since it takes the bigger ones longer to hit the ground. (Astaroth is easier to time this on than Hilde for example) But I'll keep working on it. In the meantime the :A:+:B: :2::3::6::A: :2::3::6::B: finish is still a decent bit of damage.

:6::A::K:. I honestly don't really use this move at all. I figured that :6::A::A: was just a better version overall for certain setups, and it's the safer of the two. Not trying to knock your playstyle if you do use it though. In fact, maybe you have some pointers on when I could throw it out there?

And thanks for pointing out the link error. I fixed it now. By the way, in the first set with InsaneKhent around 6:16 I landed AS :A: and somehow he manages to block the followup WC :A::A:. This has happened maybe once or twice before off camera. Just curious if this has happened to you or other Talim players since I thought it was guaranteed.

If people block the first hit of 6A and duck the second, then that's where the K comes in handy. Keeps people honest.

As for the AS A thing, I think I might recall that happening once or twice. Though I probably chalked it up to input error at the time.

I don't use the long hold version in the BT :B::(A): move (is the opponent supposed to hit the ground?). I just get em in stun and do the WC :B:::B: :A::B::B:.

I didn't know AS :A: WC :A::A: was guaranteed, never saw that written anywhere (so I never used/tried this combo- now I will, haha).

The :3::B::(A): part after BT :B: does stun if you hold it for a certain time, but it's kinda tricky. Release :A: too quickly and it won't stun. Release :A: too late and it'll whiff over the opponent's head as they fall. That's what i mean.

Since Astaroth is a bigger character, it feels like I get a bit more leniency in how long I hold :A: for to cause stun without him falling to the ground first. I tested it with other characters as well, and it seems I have trouble landing it on Hilde and Amy the most. It feels like I have to shorten the time I hold the :A:.

Either way though, usually in a real fight, the :A: part is easy to get to work properly (with the stun and all) but then I screw up getting the JF for WC :B:::B:. I'll either get WC :B::B: or WC :B:~:B:. Without the JF, both of those actually give you less damage than using Ice wind combo to end it. So that's why I normally tend to go for that instead.

as for AS :A:, WC :A::A:. I've tested it myself training to be sure and I've never been able to block WC :A::A: after being hit with AS :A: (or even :1::A: for that matter). Maybe just a glitch or something I dunno.

Hey guys, just came back from another session at Sporko's. I should have some links to vids up fairly soon. This time though I played against different people in Woahhzz and KDZ. (using Ivy and Setsuka respectively) Stay tuned for the destruction and mayhem, haha.

:6::A::K:. I honestly don't really use this move at all. I figured that :6::A::A: was just a better version overall for certain setups, and it's the safer of the two. Not trying to knock your playstyle if you do use it though. In fact, maybe you have some pointers on when I could throw it out there?

Most of the time if people fully block the :6::A::A: I just continue on attacking, I know it's not a frame trap but AA6BA after that most of the time hits for me. I don't know the actually frames but it works alot. May also be the scrubness that is called online that makes it so :P.

:6::A::K: is good cause the opponent doesn't expect the high :K: (and it's pretty fast); maybe not many people have seen it.

Here they are. The vids I promised.

ZeroEffect (Talim) v. KDZ (Setsuka)

Woahhzz (Ivy) v. ZeroEffect (Talim)

My opponents this time are among the best in the state right now. (Woahhzz narrowly missed qualifying for nationals at the Jersey regionals and KDZ won said event.) And despite what it may look like from these vids, I will admit I was thoroughly trounced in the sets against these two guys. However, as I'm still an up-and-comer, it wasn't nearly as embarrassing a beating as I once thought.

That aside, I've always had difficulty in dealing with Setsuka and Ivy as I mentioned in another thread. So if any of you guys watching this has any constructive criticisms, (especially if you have anti-Setsuka/anti-Ivy advice) feel free to comment.

Nice vids!

I don't think you did so bad- you got some throw breaks, throws, GI's, blocks, combos etc in (esp w/Setsu). You won some rounds.

You just need to get the know the characters better and keep mixin it up.

I woulda used :6::A::+::B: more (usually safe and a push back on block). Watch out when you do WL or AS (esp if you are too far back)- some of the times the opponent just waited and punished ya while you were in the air.
But as we said, as with any move, sometimes you gotta risk it/go for it.

Ivy's tough cause of her range. I think the Setsu really knows Talim (and how to punish her). Plus these are two good/top playas.
But you still won some rounds and it wasn't a pushover.
With more prac you can do better against them.

Keep at it!

And 'Mada mada' means 'I'm not done/finished yet./There's more'.

Thanks for the comments, Talim_JP.

And yeah, KDZ was telling me that he's used to fighting Talim alot from facing Jaxel so I knew before we fought he had knowledge of the character. I did make a few mistakes with WL from range. I was just so certain KDZ would have tried to attack me, but he didn't which left me wide open. I don't think Sets is that horrible a match for Talim though. It's far from even, but Talim isn't completely overpowered.

Ivy is just nasty against Talim in general, and especially when played by someone that good. I still have no idea what advantages Talim could possibly have over her. I'm currently going through Ivy's movelist, (since I do play her every once in a while) to see what i can do about some of her better moves, and what's punishable. Seems like every poke she has in SW stance is enough to beat Talim.

and yeah I thought that's what "mada mada" meant, but I didn't say anything cause I wasn't 100% sure, haha.

That's what I thought about KDZ (did he stop usin Maxi?)- I thought he probably played Jaxel a lot.

You're doin things the right way- find out how/where to punish. Do your HW and prac and you'll be up there with some of the best Talim's.

I can just encourage and try my best but you guys will always be miles ahead of me (haha).
I'm happy to watch you guys kick some buttock (in a Forest Gump voice) with her.

Show em what Talim can do!

Show em what Talim can do!

Yep. I intend to.

and KDZ uses nearly the whole roster, really. I've had matches with him using Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Mitsurugi, Setsuka, Siegfried, Cassandra, Apprentice and Hilde. I actually beat him one match when he used Yoshi but other than that he's always beaten me.

It's probably changed from SC3AE. But I'd just like to say that Sets rapes Talim for free in that game. :P

It's probably changed from SC3AE. But I'd just like to say that Sets rapes Talim for free in that game. :P

I'll take your word for it since I never really played SC3AE (or any other SCs for that matter) seriously.

Did you get to check out the vids, ShenYu? I'm curious as to what you think, and I'd like to get as many opinions and/or tips as I can get about the matches. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Hey Zero, I think you should stay on Ivy so she doesn't keep you at a distance. That is a big problem in this match up, and I think that is the best approach to it in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip, CY. And yeah, you're exactly right. Ivy definitely has the edge in the range game.

I was trying to stay as close as possible to keep up the pressure in all of the matches against her. The problem is, Ivy's Sword stance, is her strongest stance and happens to be a close range stance as well. She just has very nasty pokes that can stop a lot of Talim's moves. Then there's her command throws which have insane throw range.

This might sound silly, but aside from applying pressure you could always go for ringouts against Sets and Ivy. FC 3BB, AS A+B becomes your friend in this match up, so I highly recommend that too, Zero. Another to fight Sets and Ivy would be some oki to throw the Ivy/Sets player game off a bit. Basically you got to fuck with their head, to stay on top. Lastly something I got from Brawl when I was a Sonic player. Don't get hit.

Back