Talim Video Archive

Cool videos; thanks for posting. Obviously Mina is tough to get in on, but your Voldo matches were fun to watch. I noticed a number of good ideas you had for certain setups that were working well. 8WR left in particular scored you a lot of free damage in the three vids, especially when he was in blind stance. I'm definitely using that next time I practice against him.

You also have a good feel for 66B retaliation on whiffs and wake ups. I never use it because it is high and linear, but I guess I forgot how fast it can be for the range it gives. One other thing you got to connect a few times was intentionally (?) whiffing 11B in front of Voldo, then jumping over his retaliation attempt for a free AS A+K mule kick from behind - very nice.

One thing that I noticed you could improve is recognizing the free combo damage you can get from some of the attacks you connected. He couldn't block 1A well (though many people are able to), but when you hit him with it you rarely went for your free WC AA_AAB. Same thing with a few CH FC 3BBs.... you didn't go for max damage combos every time for some reason.

Anyway, I like some of the stuff you did. I'm sure we all could add some new techniques to our game with Talim so hopefully more people post up some vids.

Zero, i havent watched all of your vids yet, and I really dont have too much to say about your gameplay yet (cause it looks pretty good for the most part)

But I did want to make a comment about what you were talking about at the tail end of that 2nd set with sporko.

When you go to a tourney and play somebody, he's right; you have to have some general strat and then adjust to somebody as you see fit. Yeah it's hard to adapt to somebody, but you have to realize that if your strat is good and you're fast at adapting, they will have a hard time doing the same thing to you. With that said, that is one of the inherit flaws of talim, once somebody knows how to fight a talim, you're kinda left high and dry for the most part.

___

As for the few gameplay things I was going to say.

1) You got some good defensive movements going. Real good.
2) I think you need to take more guarenteed combos. I dunno how many times i've seen you hit AS A and not follow up with WC AA, same thing with 1A WC AA. It is true that you can actually get more by not taking guarenteed stuff and reading, but you have to take them SOMETIME to get some damage.
3) Unless there is something im forgetting about, empty windsault is a bad choice. Especially if you land right in front of somebody. I dont know what kinda powers you had to impose on your buds to not get punished for it, but oh dear god. >.>

___

And Oof

I stay subscribed to you man, thanks for uploading all those vids.

I actually had to sit there and think for a few moments where I wanted to put your set vs JTO. I was torn. XD

ZeroEffect317-
I watched one vid and I think you do the same thing I do, sometimes get B+K but since that's not the move I wanted so I cancel it (as you were talkin about in the vid) when sometimes I shouldn't (we cancel it automatically since it's not the move we intended).

As noted in the above post I bet (think) that the 6 (B+K) or windsault was probably a mistake too and not intended.

I keep hittin or gettin things I don't intend/want too- the timin on SCIV seems to be more 'tight' than the previous SCs or so it seems to me (so don't feel bad man).

I also think your Talim's doin good, you know where and what to block, you got some GIs and throw breaks.

So ya if possible get more combos in (or get it so you can hit those combos).

EDITs
In the second vid good sidesteppin and not many input errors (I think). Lookin good!

WS (while standing/rising) A+B 33A gives the most damage or WS A+B 4A+B is a little less damage but is forced tech and leaves Talim BT with adv. Think you did WS A+B 44B if I remember correctly.

Honestly I hope my Talim can be as good as yours is someday, haha.

Oofmatic- Gonna have to/will check your vids out soon, when I get some time (tomorrow).

And thanks all for Talim vids are few and far between.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the vids.

To Dogysamich, I agree about the general strategy thing and for the most part I play a certain way against anyone unless I see they can read it. Since Talim seems to get a lot her strength from her mixups, you almost have to condition your opponents to fall for certain tricks a lot of times.

You and Shauno are absolutely right about the lack of guaranteed combos off of 1A and AS A. I do use them often, but sometimes I get so deep into the mindset of tricking people and reading their movements that I overlook it, when, since it's guaranteed anyway, I should always take advantage of it. For FC_3BB, it's a bad habit I have, but sometimes when my opponent blocks the first FC_3B, I'm not expecting them to drop their guard for the second B. Because of that I don't go into AS as often as I should afterwards because I'll just end up jumping over them. I ended up doing WL instead thinking they'd try to retaliate and do a shorter range attack.

And Talim_JP you're right about the B+K coming out unintentionally at times. I had B+K mapped to R2 but sometimes I hit it accidently and force myself to cancel her unblockable or do an empty windsault. I wish her B+K unblockable animation could be canceled sooner like most of the others. Even if you cancel it at the start of the animation Talim goes through the whole set of frames just to hold back on the punch. Almost makes even canceling it worthless.

I've just done WS A+B 44K which seems to give about as much damage as the 33A followup.

I was practicing ws A+B followups a few hours ago since you brought it to my attention. I did ws A+B, A+K, 2A+B which does about 59 dmg. That's the most damaging guaranteed combo I could find for it so far.

For some reason I couldn't nail the 33A consistently, the second hit would whiff so it only did 41 or so dmg instead of the maximum.

33A followup- The timing's a little tight, can't do it too fast or too slow.
From the 1P I can do the 33A pretty consistently but from 2P 2A comes out most of the time...

EDITs
Good find (and looks kinda cool)!
The opponent may be able to air control out so the 2A+B misses or if you're a little slow they may land (ikemi) and block it.

But maybe the one with the most guaranteed damage is wsA+B, 6AA!

Ahh, I see. You're right about AC. If the opponent Air controls backwards, back left, or back right, the 2A+B will miss. Any other direction will still hit, so I guess it's not guaranteed, but still rather effective though in most cases.

Good job with the 6AA find! I rarely use 6AA for much but it's got a decent use there

Oof, Jaxel, always good to see you guys' Talims in action. That match with Jaxel and Big Boi's Lizardman was a heartbreaker though. Good stuff anyway.

The way you handled that Voldo player was pretty impressive Oof. Voldo is one of those characters that gives me problems at times with my Talim so it was good to see.

Doesnt everybody find algol one of their hardest matchups? XD

I mean, doesnt Algol find himself as one of his hardest matchups.

he is so freakin annoying. he isnt hard to fight but the way he is programmed is weird. his fighting is totally different. he is one of those characters that has so much to him, the chair, the gun blaster thing and etc.
i agree with ya dogysamich he is some what hard at times.

OOFMATIC- I'll get the exact #'s but the wsA+B 6AA followup gives more damage than 33A. Seems like the 33A combo is in the high 50s while the 6AA is in the low 60s.
You're a good playa so 33A always comes out (hard for my brain and fingers to be in sync and coordinated w/no mis inputs, haha).

EDITs
wsA+B 44K (looks cool!; leaves you in BT) gives about the same damage as the 33A followup.

And here's the damage report:
wsA+B,
33A followup anywhere from 54 to 60 damage
44K followup 55 to 62
2AA followup 61 to 68

It matters where you hit the opponenet (back, front etc) so the damage is variable.

Great work with all the videos guys.

From what i'm seeing WL A seems seems to be avoided now that everyone knows about it. I'm surprised not to see much 11KA, its a great low that moves in as well.

Keep up the quality Talim game guys.

OOFMATIC- Nice Talim; fast and good mixups! Good goin!
I've always wanted to see how your Talim will do against the playas over here. Hopefully it'll happen someday.

I haven't had a chance to view all of the vids Oof recently put up, but once again good job for repping Talim well at that tourney. You won quite a few matches with her it seems.

From the ones I checked out, I was impressed by how often FC 33B AS A+K worked as a initial setup. That is, without doing a 2A or similar move first, you'd just whip it out (with delay variations). Since it techs high, it caught a lot of people trying to do fast high attacks or throws. Also, for some reason I never do 11KA. I guess I feel it is very slow, but maybe it is faster to an opponent than I realize. You got it to connect more often than not.

I did check out the tough matches vs. Kilik. It's pretty tough to move in on him, especially when you have to worry about Asura and WS B. Against him your Lizzy did a good job of simply jumping at key spots for spacing or for avoiding throws and poking lows. I guess everyone should have an extra character or two to use in a tourney if things aren't working out.

Back