Talim Video Archive

While I do like your Talim, Eclair, I am amazed at how many people you actually land CH 6K into 236B on. But I guess it's like I said before... Abuse it while you can. Eventually they'll figure out how to get out of that, but until then do what works.

Did you also know that whenever you hit a CH AS A, or CH 1A, you can get WC AAB to combo? No disrespect meant, I just noticed you didn't do that in the last vid against the Siegfried player.

While I do like your Talim, Eclair, I am amazed at how many people you actually land CH 6K into 236B on. But I guess it's like I said before... Abuse it while you can. Eventually they'll figure out how to get out of that, but until then do what works.

Did you also know that whenever you hit a CH AS A, or CH 1A, you can get WC AAB to combo?

Yea, the guys aren't used to shaking out of stuns on reaction yet.

I guess i don't do WC AAB because i like to keep changing in WC and mixing it up with BB or the grab.

Dekka Cho has a good SCIIIAE Rock (he's messed around w/Rock since the early SC dayz).

Lookin good Eclair.

Endnow- Pretty good Sig!
Attack, don't wait.
When you get up maybe try a risin attack.
Haven't seen many Sigs use that sword in the ground move as a way to advance much (and you ate a lot of damage many times when you tried it).
I don't know Sig much so don't know how good my 'advice' is though (haha).

Eclair:

Try mixing in the WL A+B cancel, into your repertoire. I think that will create a lot of openings for you. Also juggle 1 A+B with AAB. You use a variety of moves which is really good. I also didn't see too many 4A, A/B mix ups, which i personally think gives a better high low variation. It seems that when hilde hard thrust forward and begins to flash, you never block the second hit, which launches you... and a hilde launch can mean insta-death. your talim is great. you constantly follow B,B witih 1A+B. Since BB will give you distance try to WC into WL mix-ups. This will throw hilde off. Since your already expecting to CH with the 1A+B, this will not only throw in a variety, but can also sidestep verticals and give you a great punish. IMO that hilde likes to block low. So try to capitalize on that with power moves like, 236B, 1A+B,2A+B,22_88b.

just my 2 cents hopefully i can get some vids up myself

Eclair:

Try mixing in the WL A+B cancel, into your repertoire. I think that will create a lot of openings for you. Also juggle 1 A+B with AAB. You use a variety of moves which is really good. I also didn't see too many 4A, A/B mix ups, which i personally think gives a better high low variation. It seems that when hilde hard thrust forward and begins to flash, you never block the second hit, which launches you... and a hilde launch can mean insta-death. your talim is great. you constantly follow B,B witih 1A+B. Since BB will give you distance try to WC into WL mix-ups. This will throw hilde off. Since your already expecting to CH with the 1A+B, this will not only throw in a variety, but can also sidestep verticals and give you a great punish. IMO that hilde likes to block low. So try to capitalize on that with power moves like, 236B, 1A+B,2A+B,22_88b.

just my 2 cents hopefully i can get some vids up myself

Thanks for the Princeali, i'll try to keep these in mind the next time.

Its funny when it comes to these casuals, my friends have gotten harsh comments from the pros and alot of tips to improve drastically. However, since we Talim guys aren't uber-pro like Tiamat or others we can't really rip each others games apart.

However, i find it best if we post up as many videos to get an idea of how we each play and all tips are appreciated guys :)

Its funny when it comes to these casuals, my friends have gotten harsh comments from the pros and alot of tips to improve drastically. However, since we Talim guys aren't uber-pro like Tiamat or others we can't really rip each others games apart.

You know, I was thinking about that very thing last night. I've fought plenty of guys who are considered "pro" in the last few weeks. And they all seem to have one thing in common: they primarily use top tier (or higher tier) characters as their mains. Nothing wrong with who they choose to play, but it brings the question, would these pros be doing as well as they are if they used Talim? or some other low tier character?

Sometimes the answer is yes. KDZ, who mains Hilde and Cass, won a tournament using Maxi, and Maxi is considered pretty low. On the other hand, Woahhzz is another fantastic player who mains Ivy. When he uses her I can't seem to beat him. But when I fought against his Talim I destroyed him... and he knows Talim pretty well.

In my case, the highest tier character I can use well is Kilik, but since I don't main him there are a lot of things I don't know about him. If I had, however, and I put my skills and knowledge of the game to use, I honestly believe I'd be well on my way to being in that same "pro" category.

I don't say this to boast about my own ability. I'm merely saying that it's possible that any one of us Talim guys could be just as "pro" as far as knowing the game and how to win goes. But because Talim is so low tier, it's harder for the other "pros" to see our ability and consider us legit since we haven't gotten enough tournament wins under our belts.

Anyway, that's enough of my rant. When I get a chance to watch your vids vs. Hilde, Eclair, I'll comment on them.

I've seen some pros that I know can win with any character.

But then ya there's other people that make you wonder...

I've also wondered if I'd do bettter with another character (I don't have a second character) but I guess I'll never find out.

And usually when I play no one can give me much advice about Talim cause no one else uses her.

PRiNCEALi: :1::A::+::B:, :A::A::B: isn't guaranteed. I tried it many times last week. If the opponenet is far away at the beginning or ACs (air controls) (back) it doesn't hit. :2::A::+::B: seems to be the best followup.

I've just recently started playing Amy seriously, and it's kinda sad that I can already picture myself winning a lot more if I had picked Amy instead of Talim from the beginning... So yeah, I guess tiers do play a role. Like ZeroEffect said though, some people are just pros at the game itself, and they're just gonna have an easier time winning... just because. lol

Eclair, WC A+B cancel > whatever doesn't really work on endnow. I learnt the hard way. XD;;; Though you can probably use it much better than I do XD

Yo. Here's my match at the recent Kogarasumaru tourney against Serge's Xianghua. I should have my match with 350z's Ivy soon enough. Enjoy!

Nice match, I love how you almost perfected her the first round but after that he played MUCH more aggressive. Also it may be tournament nerves (and they probably are :D) but you missed some combo's a major one being on the end (FC 3BB into AS B:K is a combo right? Think that would be enough damage to K.O him there.) However I don't have attended any tournament at all so who am I to advise you.
And maybe you just want to not knock him down so you can continue with poking/mix-up.

As a whole I saw the same ZeroEffect Talim as always. Playing very safe. Using the stances at the right moments. I am beginning to realize that you can play Talim 2 ways now : The first one being Oofmatic's style, wich is pretty much using the mix-ups from the wind transitions alot (and dodging with that aswell). And the second style being more of a safe style like your Talim, ZeroEffect. (atleast I think that's how you want to play her,right?)

The first style is great against opponents who don't have a single clue how to fight against Talims and if you are great at reading your opponent and just in general alot of mindgames.

The second style however is good vs opponents who DO know how to play against Talim and punishing alot of your blocked moves. This one also requires alot of mindgames aswell.

Personally I like style one alot more because it's flashier and I am just another OOFmatic fanboy so I am biased ^.^

But nonetheless I am very impressed with your Talim, keep up the good work!

P.S Forgive me if I sound arrogant or bossy. I am just trying to share some opinions and building towards a better understanding of how to play with Talim. You guys are obviously alot better in this game then I am.

Nah man, it's all good, appreciate the feedback.

You know what was crazy? I missed 66B after WL K I think 3 times in that match! I don't know why it just refused to come out, maybe I inputted too fast or something. Anyway, yes I kick myself every time I see that final round. I know I could've done AS B:K but I was NOT expecting to actually launch him. It's a bad habit I have that if FC 3BB is blocked I jump away from them, so that's why that happened. I still don't know how my AS K didn't hit him rolling though, but it's all good.

I used a bit more "Oof style" Talim in my match with 350z i believe, so when that gets uploaded I'll post it. And yeah, I was forced by my competition to adopt a safer style Talim... or as I like to call it a "controlled frenzy". There's a lot of mind games involved that vids just can't capture, but if I feel them losing momentum, the transitions theoretically become a LOT easier to abuse. So I guess you're right about having two ways to play her. It's all about knowing your opponent in choosing which one to go with.

Haha yeah that AS K that whiffed on a rolling opponent. That's just plain weird O_o.

I watched the vid another time and this time I was mainly watching what the reasons were that you got hit or that you hit her. It seems that a big part of his game was doing 44B (the Xianghua player I am talking about now) to make your retalliation whiff and attack back for some huge brick of damage. Also there were the standerd wrong guesses and slower attacks hits. He also played a very mean wakeup game wich was alot of mix-up aswell. You weren't too bothered with those SXS stances much. Sometimes you got grabbed but after that you guarded pretty well against those (or ducked :D).

The main reasons you hit her (X) was with attacking with positive frames and/or evading with a wind transition move. You weren't comboing that much in the beginning but I could see a improvement in the game after the first match. Firstly you guarded alot better then and secondly you used the wind transitions mix-up a bit more and also more combo's. Then you switched back between the safe Talim and the OOF-Talim (God I love that word!) all the time.This is pretty much your style if I may say so? Based on your video's I would say you play a bit of a mix between the styles with more leaning towards the safe but not abandoning the stances totally.

I think that if you were to do a few more matches that you would have come out on top since that Xianghua player was mainly playing his own game and not adapting that much (although you didn't gave him much chance ^^).

Again this is just pure discussing with the intention to make us all better players. I think you did great there and I am sure that if I was there I would got perfected 3 times after each other xD.

Ok, i'll try to give some constructive and hopefully useful tips on that video. Bare in mind that you are the one in the US and therefore are exposed to a higher level of players, so some things i might say can and should be rebutted :D

As Prymo said, Serge's main punishment was 44B. Due to Talim low range, moves like BB, 2K were easily punished when they didn't connect. I was hoping for more 4BB to compensate for space he kept from you. I was also thinking that although WL K worked often (unfortunately you couldn't get the maximum damage from it) WL A can also work in situations when Talim jumps back out of X's range.

I see that the crybaby interrupted your AS alot. You were trying for AS A right? Not sure which one will work but i guess it would be best for everyone to know which one would work best. On grounded opponents i tend to use 2A+B because of the variation it can give me when they wake up.

Furthermore, even though Xianghua has been nerfed since SC3, she can still interrupt by spamming BB and her AAB is still insanely fast. If you can incorporate some GI's into your game when the pressure is on you it could help keep her at a distance. It may help to include more throws into your game. Regardless on how much they can break out of them, it's a source of high damage (compared to her normal attacks) and gives a few seconds to form your next course of action.

I really like your Talim. She's a lot more solid then mine but i guess that comes from the higher level of opponents. Some more stepping can help when she's up close and it can also help with your WC game. Don't know if i'm of any help but thanks for the video ZeroEffect.

I jsut got a chance to watch the videos, and such. And I have to say my friend good stuff agaisnt X. But this might just be me, but you can win mroe often if you play more of a defenseive Talim isntead in their grill 24/7. Rushing X is a bad idea in my opinion because she has a lot of stuff to turn you into a rag doll. Thus meaning that she can kick Talim's butt all the palce like it's nothing. Trying to beat her out might work sometimes, then the next time you get screw, and end up in a chains of hits. I think what make a good Talim player is when you know it a good idea to go aggressive, or play a little defense to got a win. Overall, I love your Talim, but I think you got turn into a rag doll by X. No disrespect zero.

edit: BTW you could have wo nthat last match if you just AS b:k.

Looks good!

Crybaby?- maybe :4::4::B:? :2::A::+::B: too.
I've tried :6::6::A::+::B: and it depends on proximity- if you are close X will 'cry' you out of it (you advance a little during the move)

:A::+::K: is a good tech and it helps ya get in close. On CH you got a combo.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Prymo:
I think that X's 44B is a real pain for Talim only because it TCs. If it didn't Talim's 66B would nail her every time. If you can adapt to the set ups for it (which I started to do more towards the end) it's not so bad. What Serge got me a lot with was 2A+B on wakeup. I should've been more alert to that since I use it a lot with my own Xianghua.

Serge is a great player, and even though he didn't seem to adapt as quickly as I did to him, he just has a certain flow that can be hard to stop at times. (like in the round where he Perfected me) And yeah, as I said my style is more of a controlled frenzy. I like to play "Safe-Talim" to create openings and build momentum and then unleash the "OOF-Talim" when I find those openings. Best of both worlds I say.

Eclair:
Crybaby beats EVERYTHING! haha, it's a natural counter to anything you try, including grounded hits. This only really works the first time you use crybaby as most people won't let you hit it twice in a row. And surprisingly if timed a little later, BB can beat out X's 44B (I did this a few times in the last few rounds), though I'm liking the WL option better if I can anticipate a 44B. You're right about the GIs though. I'll try to remember that for my next tournament match.

CY:
I was playing defensive through most of the match, though I made a few mistakes in my aggression. As for the final round, If I knew he'd be hit by the launcher I'd have gone for it. But because it surprised me that he dropped his guard I did WL instead thinking it would be blocked. No offense taken, I still do have a bit to learn to master my Talim after all.

Talim_JP:
44B will work on crybaby but only from max range. It's not all that damaging anyways, so I can eat a crybaby once to get a free 2K or something out of it. And yes, I got the CH A+K in the first round and totally didn't expect it. As a result I dropped the combo follow up. I have to learn to hit confirm better.

Back