Talim Video Archive

Very nice matches.

Again after the UB you can do a :2::A:+:B: for free and afterwards take a guarenteed mix-up. Although after UB's your opponents mind game is shattered almost instantly so you can use some pretty cool mind tricks aswell.

Versus the Nightmare matches I saw you chaning alot of WL :A: at some point and you were doing the mainstream combo but instead of finishing (thus ringing yourself out) you go back and do another WL :A:. I don't really know but most of the time when I happen to WL :A: someone at the edge. I do a :6::K: into a launcher or :A::A::6::B::A: (CH stun at the end) ~2, WC :K: for the ringout (wich is almost unshakable). THe :6::K: is shakable though but they need to be fast.

And also I really like your wind transitions mix-ups. I think Talim is mainly build for that aswell so excellent playing. Just needs a bit more work on the combo's. But then again you are probably knowing what you are doing better then I do :P

So... about a week ago I was in the Kogarasumaru April monthly. I went 0-2 so I only had two matches, and since no one recorded my match with Klizza's Raphael, I only have one vid to put up. It's me versus Woahhzz's Ivy again for the first time in tournament.

Yeah, I dunno... I just kinda lost my focus as the match went on. And it just got worse in my second match after a self RO. I usually handle my nerves better, but it really got to me this time. I'm not making excuses for the loss, Woahhzz is a great player, I just felt I didn't do as well against him as I could have... but I digress. Haha, commenting is for you guys after all.

[video=KOGA: 2009-APR-18 L2 Sporko VS Jaxel]843[/video]

Here's the video of me between Sporko... I was so nervous during this match that I never actually hit a chain throw... lol.

Just a quick reply since everything I see on the screen is stuttered or not smooth at all. It may be that I am on a laptop and this one hasn't got any HD and the sorts. How can I shrink the window and remove the stuttering?

Just a quick reply since everything I see on the screen is stuttered or not smooth at all. It may be that I am on a laptop and this one hasn't got any HD and the sorts. How can I shrink the window and remove the stuttering?
Click on the video and watch it at youtube.

TBH, too much WL for my tastes Jaxel. WL A_K mixups don't work too well offline due to the fact that it can be shuffle(?) guarded(I'm not sure of the phrase here, but basically what Sporko was doing), and WL can be punished on reaction, esp. by Voldo.

Also you missed several combo opportunities. For example, a couple of times you did WC AA next to the wall, in those cases, WC K would've gotten you a free wall combo, since Sporko auto-ducked everytime you got a AS A off. Also the time you actually did WC K, and did 236B afterwards. Were you trying for 3B[A] then? I dunno.

It was a good match nonetheless, and Sporko contracting Talim-fear towards the end definitely helped.

Good game :)
I don't understand why Sporko didn't hit you out of Talim's stances. Voldo's more than capable of doing that... Oh well, but since he didn't, more chance for mix-ups :) Not a lot to say here, WL was slightly abused, but it worked aganist him, so why not? It would be nice to see a bit more WL>AS though, or just WC in general (especially when BT. Again, why didn't he just hit you out of BT WL? lol). Especially when you know WL won't reach, AS A/A+B just might.

Too bad you didn't get to SC him in the end hey? :p

ps. I find WL>AS A very useful when you've been abusing WL A too much!

Did anyone get to see my vid? If so, what's some good tips for dealing with Ivy's pokes? They just seem to interrupt me out of so much stuff on offense.

You maybe tried to GI 5 times and 1 was successful (so you ate some damage there).

Maybe in a few instances you coulda tried :2::2::A: (when you're at an angle to the opponent) and it mighta hit.

I don't know/think you made any major mistakes.

I've played a good Ivy playa recently- and ya I didn't know she had such fast moves...

Well, from memory I know I made two major mistakes; those being the AS A+K where I landed in front of Ivy, (she's too tall for Talim to jump over if she stands still), and the 66A~AS B+K tech trap when I should have gone for AS A. (AS B+K is better damage, but only works if they don't tech to the side. AS A catches tech everywhere and rolls too.)

Other than that and nerves bothering me, I did as good as I could. I know Ivy is one of Talim's worst matchups, but there's gotta be something I'm missing. Cause that second match made me look like I never played the game before.

Man Jaxel you work your ass off to win that match. But I think after FC 33B~6A+K,2A+B. You should kcik back, and let them coem to you. Also, why don't you try using moves like 8_2K, 44K(I think), and 33A. These moves are good up close, and give a fighting chance agaisnt someone like Vodlo. But that jsut a suggest, you can take if you want to my friend.

Other than that and nerves bothering me, I did as good as I could. I know Ivy is one of Talim's worst matchups, but there's gotta be something I'm missing. Cause that second match made me look like I never played the game before.

Well, I don't know about him making you look like you've never played the game before. But, I've played Woahzz a couple of times before too, and he's made me look like that too, sooo... I understand the frustration.

In any case, from my experience, 2A, 6B, 6K, and WC helps to slow down the close range Ivy pressure. I'm also sure you could've used IWC a couple of times on wakeup, it didn't seem like he was expecting it at all. Talim's main problem vs Ivy is that matches with good Ivy players tend to boil down to a poking contest, and Ivy does much more damage than Talim in that department. But most of Ivy's pokes are linear, so WC can give you an advantage. Another tip would be to dance in and out of SW stance's range, because in that stance Ivy has to be pretty close, and in some circumstances, Talim can actually outrange her. So basically, sidestep, WC, and poke, and do as much damage as you can. Also look out for CS and SS, those can be a game breaker. I saw that you were dodging them on reaction, so it seems you were cool in that department.

Yeah, I probably should think about more WC when she's in SW stance. And you're 100% right about Talim losing out in the poking game due to damage. Sometimes it's really hard to concentrate on what stance Ivy's in when she's attacking and changing stances during the animations. SW 8B, WP 1B, and WP 3A, are real pains. 22K is just quick enough to make it hard to see and just slow enough to hit those with quicker twitch ducking reflexes. And it's hitbox is fairly far beyond Ivy's actual leg.

I liked using IWC on wakeup, but resorted to 2B since it's safe. I should try to be a little bit more flexible with her unsafe stuff since it's easily her best damage options. And CS and SS I'm always looking for out of certain setups or after seeing the flash, thanks to my playing against 350z so often.

As for 2A, I tried that a lot more than it showed in the vids, but it seemed like whenever I let go of guard to do it, his poke had already hit me for CHs. I probably could've attempted more AS B:K after FC 3BB/22B launches. I played one person who JF Ukemi'd it about 50% of the time so I was conditioned to do AS B+K.

And yeah, Woahhzz is good. Very good. I'm not taking anything away from him at all. It's just after I beat him in round 2 of the 2nd set, he just started GI-ing everything and guessing me on everything else. I put up a fight, and maybe the "never played the game before comment" was a bit much. It's just frustrating since there isn't much you can do about good guessing.

Watched your vids vs Hilde. Too much AS A+B for my tastes. Didn't seem like the Hilde player had a lot of Talim experience. If you had mixed up your gameplay a bit, you probably would've won more often. More AS A or K, as opposed to AS A+B. And maybe mix in IWC or BT B+K A+B with the 2K after a 6B CH. Another thing, after a blocked C2B(?), 4BB, 6B, or 6K will beat out the C3A followup. These moves hit early or late enough to avoid the aGI.

All these players have a lot of talim experience. AS A is actually punished a lot as they can now see it coming.

I'll keep your ideas in mind for next time.

haha The one with Kong seemed heaps fun! He's improved heaps since last time, ey? The others did too. I'm not looking forward to bumping into them online :p I like how you're a lot more aggressive this time around, it definitely held them back a fair bit, even though Talim's disadvantages made all of those battles a bit of an uphill climb.

ps. Love endnow's surfie Seig :p

Back