Talim vs. the rest of the SC4 cast

yea i actually love 44k...but i was only doing it in a weird way...ive been using it as a while running mixup...but that wasnt going to well so i dropped it....

I'd like to add to this a bit, even if it is a bit old.

Apprentice can keep up pressure from range using 236B and A+K,B+K. Also if he's able to leap with his back turned he can use 2_4_8_A+B and hurl the saber at her.

Also in an up close game, iFC 3K A+B is rather fast and can knock her on her ass if the player isn't careful and just swinging horizontals wildly.

I've played against some decent Talims that can pick apart my Mitsu, turn around with Apprentice and squash them like a bug. And I know this doesn't mean much but I've never lost to Talim on Edge Master with App either.

lol apprentice
do u play talim player online or off?
236b is jumpable/AS'able on reaction
A+K can be a problem as it can pull her out of AS/WL, but iirc the b+k seires is duckable after the first hit
idk wat iFC 3k a+b is, so ill leave that alone....
but besides that apprentice dusnt have anything to keep her at bay

upclose i would say they are about the same....
the only thing that talim has advantage over is mixup
they hav the same frames, shitty lows and damage output
...ooh and talim has a better cf game to ^_^

apprentice is one of those characters that i cant see causing problem against talim
but then again ive only played decent apps online....there are none in georgia.....

I've only played Talims online and Vs on Edge Master. The Talims I have played have been so so. I haven't had the opprotunity to play Talim Offline.

I say that 236B can keep up pressure simply due to having to do something about the move (Block, step, jump, or get hit), that in itself is decent enough to warrant it's use at a far range. Also 66BK is good for a tech move against Talim, or anyone really for that matter, especially from far away against a short range character.

A+B is certainly a good use against Talim or anyone for that matter that uses stances.

iFC 3K A+B is the crouching flip and hurl the saber Just. As I said, useful for getting a horizontal happy Talim out of your face.

Also, can 66A+B A+B be used to duck under certain Talim horizontals for a crumple stun?

And when I said A+K,B+K I was referring to the leaping force lightning attack. Which I'm not sure, but I think his A+K straight up with avoid her wind leap attacks.

o...i tought the flip kick saber thing was iFC 8_9k:a...
yea...it tcs so u could do that
that doesnt really give him advantage...as i could say the same thing to u with 1a+b
same thing goes for 66a+b....i could say talim 236b under apps horizontals or high verts... dusnt mean its super effective
see wat i mean?

....id say the matchup is 6:4 in talims favor.....but thas my opinion

Hey MammothMan, any new face to this section is welcome.

Apprentice's 236B is possible to jump/AS on reaction, but it's hard, (at least for me), to do so if the Apprentice player uses it sparingly.

His A+B is a pain for Talims who love transitions as you said. And since 90% of her transitions are unsafe on their own doing A+B is effective. Doesn't do much in terms of damage, but is still annoying.

As for iFC 8K:A (the actual command for the flip and saber throw move), it is a very good move. Great for going under highs/throws. Doesn't work as well for getting her away from you. The saber throw can be ducked and punished doing lots of damage to Apprentice. Talim is one of the better whiff punishers in the game so she can hurt him bad if he tries this.

Also, even if the Talim player just blocks the saber, it pulls her in towards him rather than pushing her back.

The jumping attacks (8A+K, 2A+K, 6A+K) can get Apprentice out of trouble easily and keep Talim at range. Force Lightning does do well vs. Windleap as long as the move before that doesn't force App. into crouching when he blocks it. If he is crouched, though, you can just use FC 8K:A.

post more later

I'm not sure about this so I may need to test this, but I believe the App's FC 8K is unblockable. Not the normal unblockable, but unblockable as in even if you guard, you still land on your ass, which opens up for the saber throw. This is why I say its good for getting Talim out of your face.

does it make any difference whether it's online off? i thought it was all the same. and an unrrelated question, where can i find SC4 tournaments (not online)? do i google it or something?

There's a difference between online and offline. Some would say it's big difference others would say it's small, but there is a difference.

as for the other question, just click on tournament announcements and look to see if there are any in your area.

Sooo any word on that match up with zas???
any body got any changed feelings towards the matchup chart?

i think general character matchups are irrelevent when it comes to talim. She sucks in general though i do use her often. You have to think with her. Know when to duck highs and punish with 236B side step linear moves at the correct time and your all set. also her ring out game isnt bad.

My favorite matchups when I pick Talim are:

5. Ivy, while it is quite difficult, borderline impossible, when an Ivy player messes up, and you punish those Whip 6AAA highs, its oh so satisfying.

4. Astaroth, I have always had trouble with him, ALWAYS, so playing him in general is fun for me, usually the matches are close.

3. Nightmare, a vast majority of his fast moves are highs. Gotta love that 236B, 1A+B,99_33A on this matchup.

2. Talim, I love mirror matches, learning new things, and the match is just fun to watch, looks like popcorn in the microwave.

1. The Apprentice, that little light saber toss that the majority of the online universe doesn't know to duck. Love the 236B here as well!!!!

Back