The Athiest Thread

Atheist, Agnostic, Theist

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, at least atheism has a pretty much unanimous philosophy.
No, it doesn't. Atheism has absolutely no philosophy, and saying people convert to atheism is misleading at best. There is not any exchange; only the loss of belief.

Why is there an agnosticism category? We do know that agnosticism is not the middle-ground between theism and atheism, right?
Exactly fucking this. It bothers me far more than it should that people think being agnostic is a position on this.

If you believe religion is something for the ignorant masses, isn't it better that it exists?
Nope, we have TV for that issue now.

Wiki: The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word "atheist" lived in the 18th century.[11]

And, when I realized I was Atheist there was an exchange. An exchange from the shackles of adhering to ancient ideas for the freedom of exploration.

That's nice and pretty, but not inherent to atheism. Only to dropping a belief that hinders you.

Edit: Well you struck it out. I guess you know that.

IF I THINK THE UNIVERSE WAS SET INTO MOTION BY SOMETHING THAT WASN’T NECESSARILY OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN, IS THAT BLURRING THE LINES BETWEEN ATHEISM AND DEISM?

WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

THE DEFINITIONS OF DEISM I'M READING, HOWEVER, MAKE IT SOUND AS IF THE CREATOR IS STILL INTELLIGENT. I'M MORE INCLINED TO THINK WE ARE A FUNNY SORT OF ACCIDENT. ATHEISM IT IS, THEN.
I don't know, I'd say the important bit isn't the intelligence, but the creator part. Have never really cared enough to adopt any particular definition of deism though.

KVASIR:

GOOD POINT. I WAS EXTREMELY RELUCTANT TO USE THE WORD CREATOR. MY POINT IS THAT IT WAS UNINTENTIONAL. GOD IN EVERY PHILOSOPHY SEEMS INTENTIONAL ABOUT CREATION.

That's nice and pretty, but not inherent to atheism. Only to dropping a belief that hinders you.

Edit: Well you struck it out. I guess you know that.

I've been striking out everything I say every since the hypocrisy of followers of a man who was put to death for his beliefs without appealing to the aid of a higher authority to stifle those who persecuted him, appealed to the aid of a higher authority to stifle those who question/ridicule them. For some reason, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with how to state a ridiculous premise without making it sound like ridicule or mockery. Instead of addressing my shortcomings in communication and allowing me the chance to progress they complained behind my back and got the posts deleted.

First, you say we have no philosophy, then you dictate that my philosophy isn't inherent to Atheism. I wasn't trying to say that trading old ideas for new ones is inherent to any one system. People dropped the belief that the world is flat. Not because it hindered them. Shit, it would have probably been a lot easier to adhere to the social norm. But they didn't, and a belief was dropped but fact was gained. Sounds like an exchange to me.

AW YE . I AM SO PROUD TO HAVE HAD THIS BREAKTHROUGH REALIZATION, AND TO BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE IT. THE BEGINNING OF THE UNIVERSE WAS SET IN MOTION THROUGH THE MECHANISM OF AN OBJECT. AN OBJECT THAT WAS LIFELESS, GODLESS, AND UNINTELLIGENT. FUCK YEAH. ATHEISM > SILLY GODS.

Hmm...MODS!!! Can you guys lock these topics now? They're becoming too much of a blight even for me to bother with. I'd appreciate it <3

I'm just trying to keep everyone happy-ish.
I owe you an apology. But I don't want showing my ass to you deleted from this thread please. I like to live with the reality of my faults. Anyway, I'm sorry I made assumptions about your intent and called you a fascist, and said "fuck you". Now, it seems the very people who requested your intervention are acting dumbfounded that you intervened. I don't admire your position. But the main thing is that I'm sorry. I was wrong.

First, you say we have no philosophy, then you dictate that my philosophy isn't inherent to Atheism.

I do not mean we, as atheist, can't have philosophies. I meant that not having a belief in gods (a.k.a atheism) entails nothing else. The same way not believing in purple tables floating around the sun doesn't say anything else about you.

When I say that your philosophy isn't inherent to atheism I mean just that. I do not dictate that, it's just the logical conclusion you reach when you consider the definition of atheism.

I do not mean we, as atheist, can't have philosophies. I meant that not having a belief in gods (a.k.a atheism) entails nothing else. The same way not believing in purple tables floating around the sun doesn't say anything else about you.

When I say that your philosophy isn't inherent to atheism I mean just that. I do not dictate that, it's just the logical conclusion you reach when you consider the definition of atheism.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying. I have to say something to everyone including the Christians before this all gets shut down. I think we learn more through adversity and conflict than when everyone gets along and and patronizes each other with platitudes. Here's what I've learned about my fellow 8WR'rs:

Wombat - you're patient and thorough.
Wandrian - you're empathetic and diplomatic
Landslide - you're thoughtful and concise
HRD - you are way more of a softy than you let on
I could keep going....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back