The Basic Mitsurugi

DrakeAldan

Follow the rules!
I've been experimenting with a few things recently. I decided to drop my mains (of which were not totally of my decision) and make my own choice- Mitsurugi, the character smack dab in the middle of the road. As said before, a fine... beginner's character, if you will.

From a standpoint of 0- assuming I know nothing- I have chosen just these moves to work on and study for now:

Backwards/forwards movement (No 8WR, as I don't think I understand the risk-reward behind moving just yet)
Guarding (stand and crouch)
AA (step-catching)
BB (safe mid)
2KB/A+G_B+G (low/throw)

Now, theoretically- if you were to teach these to every beginner you knew- it would be hard, but they would have a chance, correct?

If not, do you think there are any fundamental flaws with the list?

Anyway, I am thinking of slowly adding moves and choices to my small repertoire, starting with 2A.

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, or if it should have gone into the general discussion topic.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

One of the main reasons Mitsurugi is considered as a character having his chances against anybody is because of his basic mix-up 2KB/3B. So starting by mastering those moves and their follow-ups sounds reasonable.

Musashi is correct, learn the mix up. 2:(K)::B: is monstrous in his game if you use it carefully. When you feel comfortable with that, start to learn the moves that transition him to his stances, Mist and Relic. There are tons of people that don't understand the potential he has from these stances. Not to mention that not many opponents are expecting a strong Mist or Relic game because not many can switch between the two smoothly.

One other thing to consider is mixing in his moves that have natural stepping properties, like :8::8::(B): or :4::B:. This will help in situations where you know how an opponent will retaliate to your actions.

One more tidbit, you can condition the block by only using half of :(6)::B::B:. You may be lucky and create a situation where the opponent is so afraid to move that after the first half of :(6)::B::B:, you can do pretty much anything you want, within reason.

Lol, one more thing. It never hurts to learn online GI. I say online because the timing is a little different and I believe that if you can do it online, offline is a breeze. Mitsu can be highly punishable if you are not careful. Having a solid GI in your arsenal will help that and cause even more confusion, as many can't GI consistently online.

This is by no means a thorough strategy, but it should be a start. Above all, MIX UP! Mitsu is a soft cuddly puppy on a busy highway if you become predictable.

Going to disagree. Don't learn to online GI, because the GI timings and lag will mess you up. GI online is terrible, GI offline is important, IMO.

I'm probably going to start learning Mitsu as well, was looking for, well, basic info. =P

I think stance transitions are very important, from the Mitsu players we have around here.

Going to disagree. Don't learn to online GI, because the GI timings and lag will mess you up. GI online is terrible, GI offline is important, IMO.

I respect your standpoint but, I have had pretty good success with online GI. Everyone's experience is going to be different, especially online. I think it only makes for a more diverse game if it can be figured out, and it can be figured out.

I will agree though that offline GI is more important. Online GI should not be completely ruled out though, just my thoughts.

Use in conjunction with 3B, 2KB or throwing to induce hesitation:

66A+B~G
6B+K~G

My tip of the day.

:)

Musashi is correct, learn the mix up. 2:(K)::B: is monstrous in his game if you use it carefully. When you feel comfortable with that, start to learn the moves that transition him to his stances, Mist and Relic. There are tons of people that don't understand the potential he has from these stances. Not to mention that not many opponents are expecting a strong Mist or Relic game because not many can switch between the two smoothly.

One other thing to consider is mixing in his moves that have natural stepping properties, like :8::8::(B): or :4::B:. This will help in situations where you know how an opponent will retaliate to your actions.

One more tidbit, you can condition the block by only using half of :(6)::B::B:. You may be lucky and create a situation where the opponent is so afraid to move that after the first half of :(6)::B::B:, you can do pretty much anything you want, within reason.

Lol, one more thing. It never hurts to learn online GI. I say online because the timing is a little different and I believe that if you can do it online, offline is a breeze. Mitsu can be highly punishable if you are not careful. Having a solid GI in your arsenal will help that and cause even more confusion, as many can't GI consistently online.

This is by no means a thorough strategy, but it should be a start. Above all, MIX UP! Mitsu is a soft cuddly puppy on a busy highway if you become predictable.

Hmm... I also would have to disagree on the online GI subject. I can clearly see your point in the fact that it may help you become a bit more aware with your opponent's moves and it can help you anticipate them successfully, but still... I think it doesn't do much for one's game IMO.

What I do believe is that a strong offline GI game is one of the best complements to Mitsu's game. And of course, mix-ups and good use of 66A+B~G/6B+K~G, like Tsubasa28 just mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Learning stances is a ways ahead for me right now- I still have to flesh out the mixup and other possibilities.

Belial, do you think starting this way is incorrect and will eventually be detrimental to my future growth?
I was under the impression that if I attempted to start with too many moves or tried to create patterns too early, I would end up in the same place I started- doing moves without knowing why I was doing them.

For example, when I used to play as Amy, I would throw out a 6:6B, and I would be more concerned with doing the just frame, rather than knowing what the reasoning was for throwing that mid out in the first place.

Starting simply, I know why and how I can use the small-set of moves...
If the opponent steps/8WR, AA.
If he guards, 2KB/throw.
If he ducks, BB.
Aside from mixups, time the attacks to hit when the opponent decides to stop guarding and try attacking (which leaves him vulnerable)- including counterhits, whiffing, etc.
Attack when at advantage, defend when at disadvantage, unless the opponent has a trick under their sleeve, in which case adapt accordingly.

I am going to be adding a move a day to my repertoire (which honestly I think is going a little fast, but, I have time constraints...)
But, could I not just change the patterns as I progressed?

Using only essentially four moves to start out with, from my experience playing so far, has forced me to work on my defense and my attack patterns- for example, I know now that there is a time and a place to throw. Attempting to just run up and throw, throwing regardless of the conditions, throwing when incorrectly reading the opponent (say a ducking/jumping/etc. one)... it is either too telegraphed, or the result of impatience, or generally a bad decision, so on and so forth. I would throw haphazardly in the past, and now I am learning not to.

But, anyhow, if you do not think starting like this is optimal to my understanding or growth, or if you have prior experience with a situation like this (maybe yourself, maybe others you've known), I'm open to hear your reasoning further.

yes it will hurt your game later on, it is always harder to correct something than to do something right from scratch. to make it comfortable to yourself try creating a move patterns, this move follows this move etc.

no one seems to be talking about Myst or Relic. Should i look for an 'advanced mitsurugi' thread? Myst b4b is a ownage move after Relics A :D

So, right now, instead of thinking about them in "stances," just think of them as move transitions. Just because he ends up standing funny, doesn't mean you have to think of it as a stance. Stances are basically like logic puzzles; get used to using a series of moves, regardless of what stance it puts you in.

As you get better, you'll learn what stances mean, which moves are really good out of them, their special properties, etc. But for now, just pretend that stances don't exist.

Unfortunately, I don't know any really good Mitsu examples, since I've been trying to learn X, relearn Kilik, and keep my Hilde sharp. If 6B is a simple Mist transition (like I remember it), then instead of thinking of it as 6B, Mist...something, think of it as 6, A.

Intuitively, wrapping your head around stances and their advanced properties isn't something you should start off with. Use, yes, but don't try to understand exactly how they work. Just think of them as combos, for now at least. Later, you'll want to understand everything about his stances, how to mix them up, how to switch them, how to bait with them, use them to dodge attacks, step, etc.

But, anyhow, if you do not think starting like this is optimal to my understanding or growth, or if you have prior experience with a situation like this (maybe yourself, maybe others you've known), I'm open to hear your reasoning further.

i think you're oversimplifying this... 4 moves won't help you keep the much-needed pressure on. there's more useful stuff than BB/2KB, like 6K for anti-step, 3A for CH fishing, 4B for evading at small disadvantage, etc.

if you need an example on "basic mitsurugis," watch
I'm probably going to start learning Mitsu as well, was looking for, well, basic info. =P

well, Mitsu's more about basics from an offensive standpoint... other characters (like Sophitia) can show you basics from more of a defensive standpoint. i guess it all depends on what basic info you're looking for.

no one seems to be talking about Myst or Relic. Should i look for an 'advanced mitsurugi' thread?

post here - Stance Study Thread

Genver's right, especially about the sophie comment. Mitsu's punishment options on block are generally shitty.

So for Mitsu, keep the pressure up with mixup and safe attacks, try to step and dodge other people's attacks, because blocking doesn't put you in a good position?

You typically get piddly damage unless it's really unsafe, so it may be best to go for mixups. Go check his frame data to see your options.

You forgot 2A. 2A is important.

Safe, a step killer like AA that can't be evaded by ducking, tech crouches in the later execution frames, big frame advantage on hit.

As far as the basic Mitsu goes, it's the universal panic button.

Actually I main Seigfreid (check out vids of me using him on the Melbourne video thread) so im quiet familiar with the stance mindset you just described to me but still no Mist and Relic based tactics have been mentioned.

A good mixup i like to use is Mists grab mixed up with Mists A+B combo. At first I go for the grabs when an opponent is blocking by manually changing to Mist and stepping to them in Mist. When the opponent starts to duck this fake the grab by moving towards them then BANG A+B 3A 66A+B

Actually I main Seigfreid (check out vids of me using him on the Melbourne video thread) so im quiet familiar with the stance mindset you just described to me but still no Mist and Relic based tactics have been mentioned.

aw, you ignored my post! now i'm sad :(

you can post more in the link above... i mean, you can even put it in the General Discussion / Q&A thread...

anyway, back on topic...

You forgot 2A. 2A is important.

steppable 2A? err... no thanks.

Back