The Blindstance (backturn) Thread

He never looks for the 100% guaranteed damage. He's young and impatient. You will learn young grasshopper, you will learn. Lol

100% guarantee is usually less damage though. It's all about conditioning your opponent, but you know that GO ;D

Wow, 66A too... Voldo really is the mix up king.

After BS 1A you can use BS 33B for quick ground damage and it will most likely leave you Facing Foward, it's not a combo but usually works because people usually like to stay down... Not sure if this can be avoided by rolling though... Just a thought...
BS 1A, BS 22B is a tech trap, better than BS 33B for grounded damage but slower and easier to see coming... BS 1A, BS 66A is another tech trap, I use it as a mixup with BS 22B, works well for me... BS 1A, BS FC 2K is the only combo off of BS 1A...

Hahaha wow I read my prior post and feel dumb. But yeah 66A is great because it rings out and just the other day I got a W! with it which lead very nicely into a 1B pickup.

BS 22B is a weird move. It only catches F N B after 1A, but it catches all but left after 22B. Which leads to tons of damage if done correctly. Also, 1A catches all after (FF) 22B. This move is damn slow, so it's really only good post-GI to bait them. But if it connects you have alot of options, even if they block it you are only at -2, and you have an i11 AA readily availible

Well if you think of it this way Enkindu, Voldo's Facing Foward wake-up game is SCD oriented (mainly), and part of his mixup game stems from his 1(AT)'s advantage on pickup, so what will it be??? Ground/ SCD??? or 1 into a mixup (about 60d. on average)??? About 3 1 mixups win a round when successful and (on a Green Gauge) 6 2A+BCRK's win a round... His Blind Stance wake-up game is a 50/50 mixup between BS 1A and BS 3B*BS 22B*BS 33B again 60d. on average, nailing BS 22B is the priority, so how many BS 1A's does it take to scare the opponent into a BS 22B??? When Voldo is in BS-mode, don't pay attention to tech traps I guess, if you want to win either finish whats garaunteed or force a mixup...
On note of FF 22B, -2 on grd is great, but notice the position the opponent is in, they are in FC'd on grd, so a FC 2A will clash with BS A in an even trade, most WR moves do tech crouch, BS 2A will be i16, so watch for i15 tech crouching rising attacks like Kilik's WR K for example... Online though, the ring is yours so give it a try... With BS 1A, BS 22B tech trap though, I thought it caught Left too???

Does anyone know something that catches right after 1A? Because I've been using WR A because it's alot less punishable if they stay down and mixing it up with 2K but I need something that catches right...

I enjoy BS 66B. Minor negative on block, + on hit, knocks down on CH, great gauge damage, hits grounded at long range, has absurdly long range and leaves opponent at long range and in FC. This is a powerful combination as a lot of characters go to moves will not reach Voldo after BS 66B, and they can't step easily due to being FC. I land BS 66B ~ block ~ BS 1A all the time, they either step or do a high or a short range move or even a mid (BS 1A evades mids better if its farther away I've found) and they eat the BS1A. You can also follow up BS66B with a backstep and then BS44A, or backstep BS66B, or BS A+B works great too as the frames are in the right range. BS66B/BS1A provides a very long range mixup which is especially hard to deal with for some characters. BS66B doesn't do as much damage as a mid mix-up as BS3B or BS22B, but you have really good options after.

I've read through this thread (noticing how dumb my posts were), and have come to a conclusion...
Voldo's BS 1A Followups Guide to Getting Booted!!!:
  • BFC 2K is a combo and the only guaranteed damage after BS 1A, I would consider using this to finish off the opponent should BS 1A not be able to do the job, an effective way of neutralizing the "magic pixel"...
  • BS 22B is a tech trap catching F/B/G and is mainly used to catch sleepers dealing the most damage on DWN opponents as a followup... On T! BS 22B leads into an 86d. or 100d. tech trap, this is player preference...
  • BFC-cancel~BS 2A+BG is another ground trap on sleepers and sets up MCH and LFH mixups instead...
  • BS 66A is a tech trap followup catching F/B/L tech which can ring out or lead into a BS 66A, W!, 1{B} combo for a 1B pickup mixup, or another BS wake-up mixup if in the middle of the stage...
This next set of followups is the most effective in terms of mixup and is tough for the opponent if done right...

• BCR~G-cancel(DL)~BWR B, looks tough to do but is easily done by using BCR to cover thier spacing on wake-up and canceling into BWR B which plays an important part with the other followup...
  • BCR~G-cancel(DL)~BFC 2K, is on the same idea as the previous followup however BFC 2K prevents the opponent from sleeping and is more reliable of a ground hit than BWR B...
  • BCR~G-cancel(DL)~FC-cancel~BS 1A(invisible cancel) is the final an most important piece in this wake-up set, its a mouth full (thats what she said) so I'll walk you through it: First after noticing BS 1A connects initiate the BCR guard cancel into fully crouched to get close to the opponent, the cancel out of crouched and into BS 1A as fast as possible, if done correctly it should look like you're doing BS 1A from crouched... This is the alternative mixup to BCR~G-cancel(DL)~BWR B and on a teching opponent will result in a tough 50/50 guess...
The delay (DL) in the last set's terminology is to specify that you can delay Blind Caliostro Rush then cancel into the mixups on wake-up... This mixup is effective against most characters aside from Algol (623B), Xianghua ("crybaby"), and Yoda (size matters), so keep the matchups in mind... There are two different wake-up sets and I would say it's player preference choosing between the two, good luck...

UPDATE:
I've finally found the most efective mixup off of BS 1A... The second tech trap is a bit hard to do but since it covers all directions but Ground and resets its deffinately worth the practice...
  • BS 22B - Catches F/B/G, mainly used for ground damage which is 51dmg...
  • iBS 1A - Catches F/B/L/R, mix with this is to keep opponents down, using this first will prevent most opponents from teching Right after BS 1A since they know the other traps catch Left, so if they stay down your BS 22B's will be enforced, this tech catch is comparative to a JF in terms of timing so practice until you get a rithym, and of course it tech traps into its self...
Update 2

Facts on BS 1A:
* Has super tech crouching properties, can go under some mid horizontal attacks, can be used evasivley for this purpose...
* An i22 Low attack leading into damaging tech and wake-up options...
* -16 to -15 on grd, good pushback on grd makes punishment more difficult...
* One of the few moves Voldo has with tracking, especially on wake-up...
* Soul Crushes in around 9 consecutive blocks, part of his SGD game...
Thoughts:
Now I personally believe BS 1A is a key part in Voldo's gameplay so I use it effectively and try to minimize it's use as a poke because I think using it on wake-up, in a frame trap, or a tech trap is less risky, especially in 50/50 situations... Now I would like to know if this is wrong based on tournament quality play, because there's someone else who told me {quote} "nope, you're wrong because BS 1A is an online low and you're misrepresenting 8WR", so is BS 1A an online low??? Is BS 1A that easy to react to??? Well if that's the case then good luck punishing Voldo, and enjoy the SCD man... I'd just like to settle this in terms of BS 1A's "proper" usage in Voldo's gameplay...

I agree with everything. I talk to karl alot in 8WR chat (he's a psn voldo player), and as well as you, I discovered BS 1A tech traps into itself. We both got a nice laugh out of that. However, at high level, you'll find that fishing for tech traps after a BS 1A will come few and far between so the BS 22B is the best option.
No, BS 1A is not a lag low, however, I do use it sparingly. I'm not real sure why. I'm guessing it would be way too easy to abuse this move and I don't want to get in the habit of that. You know? Anywho, I like to use BCR~G after certain moves as well, but BS 1A isn't one of them. I tack on the guaranteed damage, or I go for the BS 22B trap.

In order:
1. BS 1A ~ STC/ good SCD/ Big Damage/ Low Step Catch/ fairly quick (i22)
2. BS 3B ~ Mid-speed (i19)/ LNC~combos/ hits ground/ good SCD/ CH = "ass pull" combo
3. BS 22B ~ Slow (i24) but good SCD/ high dmg. combos/ hits ground/ transition ~FF
4. BS 1K ~ faster (i17) version of FF 1K/ sets up MCH*LFHT wake-up*mixup/ has a decent TC
5. BS 66A ~ Mid Horizontal attack/ good damage/ safer with range but worth the risk/ tracks opponent/ great for frame & tech traps/ can W! or RO

BS 2A+B~G MCHT

BS A+B

BS 2[A+K]

BS 2B+K

BS B+K

BS WS K (neutral on whiff?!?!)

BS 236 Throw (Deceptive...ie 2A+B 236 A+K Throw)

My two cents. I'm bored.

Back