The future of Soul Calibur

What should be the focus of the next game?

• Continue the story following the events of SCV

Votes: 88 50.6%
  • Fill in the story with events from between SCIV and SCV

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • Reboot of the series starting with SE

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Prequel before the events of SE

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must agree with HRD. When I first got into Soul Calibur, it was it's story and characters that really fascinated me, and the gameplay was super fun, but not too complex to play. So as the 5th one was approaching..it made me think that the story would go deeper and that all the characters would be involved in a fleshed-out story mode. But I think the team got too worried about making it a tourney-worthy game, that they forgot all about the story and character elements that alotta fans, including myself, really liked. The story of SCV was not only very quick, but was very disappointing to me.
I honestly think the story should be rewritten to soften the blow of most of these radical changes SC5 bravely forced. If they changed the atmosphere and character motivations then likability would be possible. SC is the only real fighting game that gives a shit about their characters and tries to tell a solid story. It shouldn't give that up, it can just be done better if themes were more consistant and less-anime goofy. It's not even the fact that the story was rushed but the characters they added generally contribute nothing that progresses from the older events. I mean the Group of asians literally have their own subplot taking over the focus of the game seperating them from the actual events. The main plot device should be Soul Calibur's mystery and the excessive Damage Soul Edge does in the hands of Gods, mortals and demons.They need to tell ONE story but have all the characters react to it based on their moral compass. Not 5 different stories all about random things playing out like a reality show.

It's easy to agree with fan wishlists when they don't take into account the actual development cycle of the game or motivations of the designers.

Like check this out:

They should invent sex robots, and pay everyone equally regardless of gender, race, creed or whatever. That'd be great! GET ON THAT REAL LIFE.

Reactions: HRD
Wish all you like, but the guy you are agreeing with is SERIOUS that the game OUGHT TO BE THAT WAY RIGHT NOW.

To the guy who said the SC4 implied that SC was just as evil as SE and that was really cool and SC5 doesn't, SC5 was my first SC and I got those tones. Adding the Elysium character really cemented it.

To the guy who said the SC4 implied that SC was just as evil as SE and that was really cool and SC5 doesn't, SC5 was my first SC and I got those tones. Adding the Elysium character really cemented it.
SC5 was really ambiguous with it. It didnt really further imply SC was even other then Elysium's tone of voice and how she spoke to Patrolklos. The game was too light-hearted to make me even assume that without playing the last game. Soul Edge was pretty quiet in this game as well. It was mainly Tira advocating on its behalf and instigating Pyrha to use it though my only problem was how she did it. Unlike in SC3 where she would threaten you into using it, she came off now as trying to seduce Pyrha. I didnt really take her seriously in SC5 but thats just a nitpick. I aways thought of Tira as a scarier more intimidating character until SC4 that turned her into Harley quin by how she speaks now.

Soul Calibur isn't evil. It's lawfully good. Too lawfully good. All it wants to do is destroy Soul Edge and its "evil power" and restore order into the world.

The only reason Patroklos had conflict with Soul Calibur/Elysium was because of Pyrrha being a malfested. More specifically, the rightful user of Soul Edge. If it wasn't her, and it was still Nightmare, he would just kill him with Soul Calibur and call it a day.

Soul Calibur isn't evil. It's lawfully good. Too lawfully good. All it wants to do is destroy Soul Edge and its "evil power" and restore order into the world.

The only reason Patroklos had conflict with Soul Calibur/Elysium was because of Pyrrha being a malfested. More specifically, the rightful user of Soul Edge. If it wasn't her, and it was still Nightmare, he would just kill him with Soul Calibur and call it a day.

But, who's REALLY EVIL? Perhaps Soul Edge is the REAL Holy sword and the malfested are a pure race created by the "evil" seed? It's propaganda I tell ya! Soul Calibur's implanted her "goodness" into your minds like Hitler has! Demonizing her poor brother who simply wants to uplift humanity into a great and golden age!

But, who's REALLY EVIL? Perhaps Soul Edge is the REAL Holy sword and the malfested are a pure race created by the "evil" seed? It's propaganda I tell ya! Soul Calibur's implanted her "goodness" into your minds like Hitler has! Demonizing her poor brother who simply wants to uplift humanity into a great and golden age!
The words "holy" and "elysium" should be your first hint.

Soul Calibur was originally fragments from Soul Edge that have been purified over thousands of years by the Ancient tribe that guarded it (Zassalamel's tribe). Due to the Hero King's anger and hate at SE however, soul calibur didn't become the true holy weapon it was supposed to be it. Algol's feelings warped it into a merciless being that shows no understanding or compassion to those she deems imperfect. Which is the whole world. There's a reason why Siegfried's SCIV ending showing the world being frozen solid. The true order is a lifeless world. No emotions, no wars, no hate, and no life. That's her idea of salvation. Kill SE and the malfested, freeze the rest into a peaceful and unknowing slumber.

In short, both swords are evil. The extreme sides of chaos and order will be the end. If I had to theorize, the last SC game will involve SE and SC being one and Night Terror will make his appearance. After all, the SCIII profile said that when all the shards, including SC, fused back into the original blade, the Terror of the Night will destroy everything.

It's easy to agree with fan wishlists when they don't take into account the actual development cycle of the game or motivations of the designers.
That doesn't matter, when they get to the point in their development -like in all their game scheduals where they need to do it then there it can be done. The same amout of effort is all thats required, no more, no less. They just need better focus and reevaluation to how things connect better.

I'm pretty certain that Soul Calibur/Elysium would be looking for retribution towards Patroklos for choosing to save his sister over being its champion and destroy Soul Edge. Pretty soon, both swords are going to be chaotic good (Soul Calibur) and chaotic evil (Soul Edge). Then what happens, the swords cause more calamities and Astral Chaos opens even further.

Elysiumismoreimportant.jpg

That doesn't matter, when they get to the point in their development -like in all their game scheduals where they need to do it then there it can be done. The same amout of effort is all thats required, no more, no less. They just need better focus and reevaluation to how things connect better.

Have you ever considered that maybe the developers cared more about making a good game than telling a good story?

Also you are grossly oversimplifying the development process and motivation to fit your own innane wishlist of things that aren't going to happen.

In short, both swords are evil. The extreme sides of chaos and order will be the end. If I had to theorize, the last SC game will involve SE and SC being one and Night Terror will make his appearance. After all, the SCIII profile said that when all the shards, including SC, fused back into the original blade, the Terror of the Night will destroy everything.
SC5 should have been about The world's Apocalypse set by Nightmare, bring for the new cast into a dark age so SC6 could be when they can mature and be the Night Terror epoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back