The future of Soul Calibur

What should be the focus of the next game?

• Continue the story following the events of SCV

Votes: 88 50.6%
  • Fill in the story with events from between SCIV and SCV

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • Reboot of the series starting with SE

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Prequel before the events of SE

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are only saying that because Siegfried is still in the roster.
I couldn't care less if he was replaced. At least his replacement might have a smaller hitbox. I only care about the base style. They only difference Sieg being replaced would make in my SC experience is not laughing at corny one liners as much.

In Japan SC is bigger than ever. SCV has also sold over 1 million copies. PS must be doing something right. All I see here is people bitching about how characters got replaced by a similar character with a different name and how there aren't enough singleplayer modes in a game that's focused on mutiplayer. Either way, people need to quit bitching about things that don't matter. It's like you guys are expecting this to sell like CoD...
Thats pretty relevant, the game is incomplete and they're doing nothing about it. What's frivolous is the idea that the entire game or franchise is ruined because of it. People are bitching at PS here in the west for the wrong reasons as that was made clear skimming through facebook and with that impression why would they bother fixing anything?

^It's not my fault they play a muliplayer based game for single player. I personally think that you should expect hardly any single player modes when purchasing a multiplayer based game. That's my opinion on the matter.

^It's not my fault they play a muliplayer based game for single player. I personally think that you should expect hardly any single player modes when purchasing a multiplayer based game. That's my opinion on the matter.
If were playing an FPS sure, but, fighting games aren't under that limitation especially soul calibur. If fighting games take the time to personalize the atmosphere, and characters within it then a single player based around that work should be expected.

If were playing an FPS sure, but, fighting games aren't under that limitation especially soul calibur. If fighting games take the time to personalize the atmosphere, and characters within it then a single player based around that work should be expected.
They're both made for mulitplayer so I don't see where your logic is coming from. Also the characters in FGs are simply personified cliches, what's so special about them? Taki for example, a typical cliche 90's ninja. Natsu is a cliche 2000's ninja. It's just a cliche replaced by another cliche.

The future of Soul Calibur huh?
Namco and Project Soul need to....
You+are+a+female+who+has+posted+a+picture+of+_e4402e0f276e53b8558f249714d3d633.jpg

Okay, so it turns out that the Zas T shirt was something from SC3, and not Daishi hinting that there will be character DLC. (Probably). :( However, some people in the T-shirt thread were saying that PS hasn't been disbanded or sent to work on other projects (I thought they were working on Tekken), and that Namco is gathering peoples' opinions on what they did and didn't like about SCV.

Both things, if true, are really good news for the future of our game. Does anyone here have any sources that can confirm it? Cuz the guys in the other thread aren't answering me. :(

They're both made for mulitplayer so I don't see where your logic is coming from. Also the characters in FGs are simply personified cliches, what's so special about them? Taki for example, a typical cliche 90's ninja. Natsu is a cliche 2000's ninja. It's just a cliche replaced by another cliche.
Cliche > nothing.

SC didnt sell bad at all, (correct me) but it was just recieved bad by the invested fans. Namco's gross in gaming actually increased because of SC5 as I said somewhere before, though the money is just being used to add onto Tekken and that grows more obvious. There are games which must've used up 10x the dev budget and made just slightly higher profits that were greenlit for support and sequels. If you really take good look at the margin of sales Tekken has been the sole thing keeping Namco going strong. I dont see SC continuing if the fans keep stacking their emotinal expressions of pure for the company's choice on how they handled the game. What motivation would they have to try again? I'll admit it like everyone I was vexed at Namco for the wrong reasons. Yes from a business stand point Project Soul could have costed themselves a lot of grief by making sound calls when this game was in development. My guess id they're probably going to play it safe.

Actually Soul Calibur 5's numbers came in about a week ago and a few articles talked about, basically the numbers for this installments seven or eight month units sold count came in. They only moved about 1.38 million I think, thats cool and all but Soul Calibur 4 sold over an extra million in its first 9 months... thats not a good thing in a publisher's eyes to see. Hope fully one of 2 things will happen, one bad one good.

Namco will realize that the team needs more time, and maybe even more man power, maybe even a few changes in leaderships for the better, or the franchise we know and love will get the boot hopefully not. But I get your point in games with bigger budgets and end up not selling under, or barely over the budget and still ending up with a sequel. Hopefully no Soul Calibur game will fall under that list. If you want to read the article just Google news Soul Calibur 5, and it should pop up.

Someone stated earlier that the team had not been disbanded.... again... But that's somewhat good news because they can be a team still, but not doing a single thing for the franchise, hell they could just be bug fixing for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, while the real team makes more content lol. But lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we get a quality Soul Calibur 6 with Soul calibur 5 mechanics, Soul Calibur 3 content, and Soul Calibur 2'ish/5'ish combat style.

The chance of them even doing it looks slim if the fanbase is this unsettled. Considering they didnt even plan to make this game and wanted to do it just for the fans, with a reception like this they'd easily call us ungrateful and won't bother again. Tekken is Namco's baby now. Right now I feel SC is dead.

Damn so do I, and I hope we are both HORRIBLY wrong!! haha

Everyone remember that even though this game sold fewer units than SC4 did, that doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't a financial success for Namco. You have to also take into account how much they spent to produce the game.

At first, they said they had a bigger budget than any fighting game ever, but I'm pretty sure that got cut somewhere along the line. So they probably ended up spending less on this than they did on SC4. Well, that's what I'm hoping anyway. Early on, someone did say that the sales were in line with their expectations.

I do hope they learned their lesson though, that they need to put out a complete game to get the good reviews they want and draw in the huge casual demographic. (While still keeping the game sufficiently deep and balanced and tournament-worthy).

I do hope they learned their lesson though, that they need to put out a complete game to get the good reviews they want and draw in the huge casual demographic. (While still keeping the game sufficiently deep and balanced and tournament-worthy).
I agree. I appealed to Namco during the time before SCV was even announced to pay attention to reviewers and that they'll need to release a game better than all the others before (story-wise) if they want success. Alas...

But recently I began to wonder if fighting games in general are still desirable as they were, idk, 10 years ago. People mostly talk about shooters and mmorpgs nowadays (one of those is persistently popular as it always has been >.>)... Can SoulCalibur even get some attention in such an atmosphere?

.. PS hasn't been disbanded or sent to work on other projects (I thought they were working on Tekken), and that Namco is gathering peoples' opinions on what they did and didn't like about SCV.
This could be thee thing that can change the series for the better depending on how people use this opportunity (if constructively) Im sure they are fully aware that a majority of fans were unhappy to flat out pissed that their favourite characters were cut out and I could say Im one. I'm just sick and tired of the usual Namco crap. Overpriced DLC, terrible DLC, there's always a character you can't have unless you buy them. I'm just glad they took out the whole 'Items have stats now' mess form CaS, atleast now people can put effort into their characters rather than having a mess of armour. If they question what about their new characters, I would suggest people can live without Xiba but some people like Leixia and I am pretty fond of Natsu. If they dont want weapon clones are there any alternatives? Natsu can switch her weapon to a ninjato blade I suppose, Xiba can use the extendo-stick from SC3 and Lexia can just be switched with Xianghua as most of her fans prefer her anyway.
Someone stated earlier that the team had not been disbanded.... again... But that's somewhat good news because they can be a team still, but not doing a single thing for the franchise, hell the could just be bug fixing for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, while the real team makes more content lol. But lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we get a quality Soul Calibur 6 with Soul calibur 5 mechanics, Soul Calibur 3 content, and Soul Calibur 2'ish/5'ish combat style.
Namco is definitely the troubles in the manufacture and sale of SC5, but I don't believe in rewarding companies for selling rushed and/or incomplete products. However, as much as I enjoy the Soulcalibur series, I can forgive them here as they have proven early on that they were working hard but couldn't meet their own vivid expectations because Namco definitely rushed them to meet its deadline and because of that, the game's overall content ultimately suffered. First off, they have to know that they can’t please everyone, especially those new to the series... but they can’t cater to the wrong crowd, either. Game companies have gotten into the habit into doing that.

Hey does anyone remember the supercharge feature back in Soul Calibur 3 and 2, was called Over Soul or something? I was kinda of thinking how would that be with the game mechanics now? Like as long as they don't make it rely on the players meter (By at least consuming it anyway, maybe have it as a benchmark ability.) This could give the series that comeback mechanic, and have it how it was in 3, have it work in levels or layers.

Soul Charge is NOT some magical move? After you soul charge you have access to special moves and extra damage. But yeah for sure. Soul charge and magic moves and BE's are not related at all. Like not even a little.

Was the sarcasm not thick enough?

Soul Charge was stupid, and pointless. Why would you leave yourself open for a billion frames when you could just apply pressure instead?

I NEVER soul charged in sc2/3, and if some idiot tried it, they would get combo'd.

At best it was a stupid gimmicky mechanic that only worked on noobs. With the exception of sc3 nightmare, who's 2A+B on downed opponents gave him an automatic soul charge, that was it. Other than that, it was completely unnecessary and I'm glad them removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back