The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

The Host

0-Symbiot00.jpg

Symbiot48.jpg
Symbiot52.jpg
Symbiot22.jpg
Symbiot25.jpg
Symbiot31.jpg
Symbiot02.jpg
Symbiot08.jpg
Symbiot45.jpg
Symbiot05.jpg
Symbiot01.jpg
Symbiot06.jpg
Symbiot07.jpg
Symbiot03.jpg
Symbiot14.jpg
Symbiot09.jpg
Symbiot04.jpg
Symbiot16.jpg
Symbiot10.jpg
Symbiot13.jpg
Symbiot19.jpg
Symbiot11.jpg
Symbiot15.jpg
Symbiot20.jpg
Symbiot12.jpg
Symbiot17.jpg
Symbiot23.jpg
Symbiot18.jpg
Symbiot21.jpg
Symbiot24.jpg
Symbiot26.jpg
Symbiot27.jpg
Symbiot28.jpg
Symbiot29.jpg
Symbiot30.jpg
Symbiot32.jpg
Symbiot35.jpg
Symbiot33.jpg
Symbiot34.jpg
Symbiot37.jpg
Symbiot36.jpg
Symbiot38.jpg
Symbiot41.jpg
Symbiot39.jpg
Symbiot43.jpg
Symbiot44.jpg
Symbiot42.jpg
Symbiot40.jpg
Symbiot46.jpg
Symbiot50.jpg
Symbiot49.jpg
Symbiot47.jpg
Symbiot53.jpg
Symbiot51.jpg
Symbiot54.jpg

Last edited:
Double sided CAS is very clever i moth say...i did that once on a bat shit crazy witch but those insectaliens are scary i shell add...With neverbeforeseen exeq combos for the faces...so eerie it bugs me...bravo

Double sided CAS is very clever i moth say...i did that once on a bat shit crazy witch but those insectaliens are scary i shell add...With neverbeforeseen exeq combos for the faces...so eerie it bugs me...bravo
Merci mon bon mouchieur Vil! J'avais un prediction que ce groupe would catch your eye, et commentaire magistral sur pun-aise. :) Il y avait certainement des moments la-bas, ou j'avais l'impression de tu canaliser (et/ou Durand!). By the way, did you notice the name has become une double entente? 'Host' on account of the implication in the design of parasitism or symbiosis--I made subtly different indications as to this in different variations on the design, though certainly on the whole, you would have to guess that letting that thing get close to them was the biggest mostique a couple of these guys ever made! But then also 'host' because there ended up being so many variations--the pun was even organique in development. ;)

I will say that I'm actually quite enthusiastic about this design myself. It came about from an attempt at something else entirely, but as is often the case, once I hit on the concept it all came together pretty quickly. I love how the dragonfly wings turn some high-saturation colors into a neon, almost flourescent presentation: it really makes the design pop, especially with the other vibrant colors--I honestly don't think the photos are doing that aspect justice, because of their relatively low-res nature. I really should capture some video of this one: aside from the fact that it would showcase the skins better, there's actually an Astaroth underneath all of that, and his moveset just fits this concept like a glove (even in just editor mode snippets), with his swipes and broad gestures and intimidating posturing--and when you are queued to interpret that thing on the back as a living creature (or part of one?), its movements also take on a new light. Not all designs translate well into something that you'd happily take into a game, but this one definitely works on that level.

I found FFIX Beatrix :D

But did you notice the reference to her villainous counterpart from the same source? That one has yet to be ID'd (that anyone has ever noted anyway) and it's surprising to me because the design is so distinctive. I've begun to wonder if it will ever be recognized without Dante being brought in as a ringer. :D

I like the two designs on this page, the boots really complement the long coat.

Thanks Sytus! Those two draw inspiration from a specific work of literature which, while a bit of a juggernaught in its own genre, is largely unregonized in a broader cultural sense. But with the success of GoT, it was only a matter of time before this other narrative got its own production, and sure enough, it's under development. I'm a little skeptical of its likely final quality for a number of reasons, but fingers crossed it bears out into something watchable. Anyway, I mention this all because i wonder how much more recognizable these two will be in a couple of years and how much fidelity there will be with the looks said show develops, since I was able to get these two fairly close to what I imagine for these characters.

Crimson Knight Nightmare and the Apple Bearer look pretty neat. ^^

Thank you Nitric! 'The Crimson Knight' was one of my first experiments with texture manipulations of that sort for SCVI, in the first few days of release (though some of the variations here are more recent refinements). The idea was pretty straight forward: just do a concept variation on The Azure Knight--distinct in design rather than a palette swap, but keeping in the theme of slow corruption. A 'Crimson' to Nightmare's 'Blight', or a 'Mordeth' to Nightmare's 'Shadow', or insert other nerdy obscure metaphor for competing evils.

So it's like an alternate take on the development but also earlier on: if you look closely, I attempted to give the sense that his right gauntlet is being absorbed into his arm as part of the mass that will make up the monstrosity on the primary nightmare outfit, though the effect is mostly lost at this resolution, due to the dark coloring and other qualities of that equipment. Still, though I've always felt the overall color of this XP has always felt a bit samesy to me, and even though some surface elements are a little more muddied than I'd like, I'm pretty happy with the overall results. 'Bearing Apple' of course needs no explanation. :D Appreciate the commentary!

You forget that Calibur has a broad age demographic so us old farts are going to remember this stuff. Even though Flash Gordon is campy as hell it's still a joy to watch even now because sometimes you just want to watch a simple popcorn heroic film. RIP Max Von Sydow.

I suppose: I mean, I am aware there are a handful of other graybeards (or what we might consider as such relative to the age of the franchise) hon 8WR, but every impression I have ever gotten here (and of the SC community in general in recent years) is that it skews decidedly younger in the broader trend. And putting that factor aside, even many of my more contemporary reference designs seem to go unrecognized. Part of that may be owed to the fact that I sometimes select from some somewhat obscure and esoteric sources across a variety of mediums, in addition to gaming and pop culture giants and contemporary reference points. But in any event, I just had the feeling the only way the implied commentary of that particular Azwel would get noticed would be if I got a little more blatant with the overlap on the name.

Last edited:
I really like the host! It looks so good, looks like it could be an in-game enemy for a hive-type scenario.
Thanks Chips--much appreciated. :) I'm very happy with how it turned out, though I had to push the resources to the roof to get there!

So, I've got another eight or so decent designs that for a while now have been finished or only requiring some light polishing to share, but finding the time to curate and upload them is likely to take a few days at least. In the meantime, here's some previews of some of them:

Sophitia - Battlehardened Veteran

Battlehardened Sophie Preview.jpg

Sophitia - Palladian

Sophie Pally Preview.jpg

Sophitia - Bad Penny Gang

Penny Sophitia Preview.jpg

Cassandra - Bad Penny Gang

Penny Cassandra Preview.jpg

Talim - Bad Penny Gang

Penny Talim Preview.jpg

Plus updates of some previous designs, old and new:

Cervantes Beast Update Preview.jpg
Cervantes Flame Update Preview.jpg
Ri Update.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, so I've had a couple dozen mostly complete or just requiring some detail work/dialing-in for a bit now. I'm going to go ahead on share those which are in a complete enough state to warrant sharing (or at least as many as I can find time t organize and put up today). Most of this lot are going to be SC-roster character riffs, though there will also be some cosplay/hybrid designs and some true originals.

Starting things of, we have some Sophitia designs. The first of these is, I suppose, Sophie re-imagined as veteran infantry officer. She's given a heavier-duty gear and is a bit of a grey-hair in the initial versions, though I dropped this for a more vibrant red-haired look later. I liked how the details came together in this version (and I found the combination of mask, chin-strap, and horns really brought the helmet ornamentation some character), but from early on, the design kept split into two similar but distinct trajectories, and thus I created a second variation that seeks an aesthetic middle ground between this version of Sophie with her classical 'holy warrior' vibe. This one itself itself spawned multiple variations itself, with regard to the armor and helmet composition and final color balance. I'm also quite tickled with the name, which is not a double, nor triple, but indeed quadruple-entendre--beat that for cheeky wordplay, Vil!

Sophitia: Battlehardened

0-HardSoph31.jpg

Sophitia: Palladian

0-BrightSoph44.jpg

BrightSoph04.jpg
BrightSoph19.jpg
HardSoph21.jpg
BrightSoph15.jpg
HardSoph28.jpg
BrightSoph14.jpg
BrightSoph13.jpg
HardSoph23.jpg
BrightSoph35.jpg
HardSoph04.jpg
HardSoph01.jpg
HardSoph03.jpg
HardSoph05.jpg
HardSoph02.jpg
HardSoph09.jpg
HardSoph07.jpg
HardSoph06.jpg
HardSoph16.jpg
HardSoph08.jpg
HardSoph11.jpg
HardSoph22.jpg
HardSoph13.jpg
HardSoph12.jpg
HardSoph10.jpg
HardSoph14.jpg
HardSoph24.jpg
BrightSoph01.jpg
HardSoph15.jpg
HardSoph26.jpg
BrightSoph02.jpg
HardSoph17.jpg
HardSoph27.jpg
BrightSoph08.jpg
HardSoph18.jpg
HardSoph29.jpg
BrightSoph11.jpg
BrightSoph05.jpg
HardSoph30.jpg
BrightSoph12.jpg
BrightSoph09.jpg
BrightSoph03.jpg
BrightSoph16.jpg
BrightSoph10.jpg
BrightSoph06.jpg
BrightSoph20.jpg
BrightSoph17.jpg
BrightSoph07.jpg
BrightSoph22.jpg
BrightSoph21.jpg
BrightSoph18.jpg
BrightSoph23.jpg
BrightSoph24.jpg
BrightSoph26.jpg
BrightSoph27.jpg
BrightSoph25.jpg
BrightSoph28.jpg
BrightSoph29.jpg
BrightSoph32.jpg
BrightSoph30.jpg
BrightSoph31.jpg
BrightSoph34.jpg
BrightSoph36.jpg
BrightSoph33.jpg
BrightSoph40.jpg
BrightSoph37.jpg
BrightSoph38.jpg
BrightSoph44.jpg
BrightSoph39.jpg
BrightSoph41.jpg
BrightSoph46.jpg
BrightSoph42.jpg
BrightSoph45.jpg
BrightSoph43.jpg

And just because there's no harm in keeping the new Sophies in sequence, here is a third, this time kicking of a series of loosely-related designs that I call 'The Bad Penny Gang'. Despite the name and and some elements in common (they all are meant to have a vaguely outlawish bent to them and all wear scarves or masks of one sort or another), there's not really meant to be an implication of a strict sense of continuity here: each has qualities implying a substantially different time or place, though they do tend to veer into recent, even modern, epochs in terms of style.

Sophitia: Bad Penny on the Plains

0-SophieTheBadPenny15.jpg

SophieTheBadPenny06.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny13.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny12.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny05.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny02.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny01.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny03.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny09.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny04.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny07.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny10.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny14.jpg
SophieTheBadPenny11.jpg
[/SPOILER

This one could probably benefit from some further color balance adjustments and detail work, but is far enough along to share.

Talim: Bad Penny on the Road

0-TalimTheBadPenny24.jpg

TalimTheBadPenny13.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny26.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny28.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny41.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny04.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny03.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny01.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny08.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny05.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny02.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny09.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny06.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny16.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny10.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny07.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny20.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny12.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny11.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny23.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny14.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny19.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny25.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny15.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny30.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny29.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny17.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny22.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny32.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny18.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny21.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny33.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny27.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny31.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny37.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny35.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny34.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny38.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny40.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny36.jpg
TalimTheBadPenny39.jpg

Xianghua: Bad Penny on the Street

0-BadPennyX21.jpg

BadPennyX08.jpg
BadPennyX07.jpg
BadPennyX06.jpg
BadPennyX03.jpg
BadPennyX10.jpg
BadPennyX04.jpg
BadPennyX01.jpg
BadPennyX12.jpg
BadPennyX09.jpg
BadPennyX05.jpg
BadPennyX13.jpg
BadPennyX11.jpg
BadPennyX02.jpg
BadPennyX14.jpg
BadPennyX15.jpg
BadPennyX16.jpg
BadPennyX19.jpg
BadPennyX18.jpg
BadPennyX17.jpg
BadPennyX20.jpg

The last of the Bad Pennies (for now): this one really isn't finished (the detail work is really in rough draft phase), but I might as well slip her in here as placeholder. Though I am having trouble working out her color scheme and details, I like here general concept, ostentatious as it is, though I can't place her aesthetic as definitively musical hall performer, 19th century gangster, or an American West courtesan. Maybe she's a Barbary Coast madam?

Seong Mi-na: Bad Penny of the Night

0-MinaTheBadPenny23.jpg

MinaTheBadPenny28.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny22.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny21.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny34.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny20.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny02.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny01.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny13.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny03.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny04.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny07.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny10.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny09.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny24.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny18.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny14.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny26.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny25.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny16.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny30.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny27.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny17.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny31.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny32.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny29.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny33.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny38.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny35.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny40.jpg
MinaTheBadPenny39.jpg

If I'm honest, it's hard not to see this one as something lazy and unoriginal and arguably something someone was bound to do eventually, but I'd like to think I put enough of a spin on it to make it a little my own. Anyway, truly inspired it may not be, but I like the result anyway: minimalist, but it works for this one.

Astaroth: Iron Fist

0-IronFist04.jpg

IronFist09.jpg
IronFist05.jpg
IronFist06.jpg
IronFist01.jpg
IronFist03.jpg
IronFist07.jpg
IronFist02.jpg
IronFist11.jpg
IronFist08.jpg
IronFist10.jpg
IronFist12.jpg

These next two Astaroths are unrefined at the detail level, but getting there. The first of the two below is a crusade-era riff. I'm not quite sure about the color selections: I may make a darker iteration on this (brown and black) and mix-up the equipment selections a bit, and ultimately go with more of a medieval exuctutionar theme. But for the present time, I think the gold and red eastern roman empire scheme is a good starting iteration, even if the exact distribution of color is a bit samesy at present.

Astaroth: Byzantine Bash

0-Goldenroth13.jpg

Goldenroth06.jpg
Goldenroth15.jpg
Goldenroth10.jpg
Goldenroth08.jpg
Goldenroth01.jpg
Goldenroth04.jpg
Goldenroth03.jpg
Goldenroth09.jpg
Goldenroth07.jpg
Goldenroth05.jpg
Goldenroth12.jpg
Goldenroth11.jpg
Goldenroth14.jpg
Goldenroth16.jpg

This one is also kind of proof-of-concept at present: it works, but a lot needs to be done to add the real character to the design.

Astaroth: Wroth Oni

0-Astaroni07.jpg

Astaroni01.jpg
Astaroni03.jpg
Astaroni02.jpg
Astaroni06.jpg
Astaroni04.jpg
Astaroni05.jpg

Here Setsuka's model is standing in for someone, in one my 'cosplay' iterations. Other than some clipping issues here and there during some poses, I'm pretty satisfied with this one, though I do think it's one that could go a long while before being properly recognized for some of its details.

Setsuka: Hornbow (Silver Shot)

0-HornBow07.jpg

Setsuka: Hornbow (Loyal Captain)

0-HornBow34.jpg

HornBow17.jpg
HornBow36.jpg
HornBow06.jpg
HornBow50.jpg
HornBow23.jpg
HornBow13.jpg
HornBow28.jpg
HornBow22.jpg
HornBow03.jpg
HornBow02.jpg
HornBow01.jpg
HornBow04.jpg
HornBow05.jpg
HornBow14.jpg
HornBow09.jpg
HornBow08.jpg
HornBow11.jpg
HornBow15.jpg
HornBow16.jpg
HornBow12.jpg
HornBow18.jpg
HornBow19.jpg
HornBow35.jpg
HornBow20.jpg
HornBow38.jpg
HornBow37.jpg
HornBow24.jpg
HornBow21.jpg
HornBow40.jpg
HornBow25.jpg
HornBow30.jpg
HornBow41.jpg
HornBow26.jpg
HornBow32.jpg
HornBow43.jpg
HornBow29.jpg
HornBow39.jpg
HornBow44.jpg
HornBow31.jpg
HornBow42.jpg
HornBow49.jpg
HornBow46.jpg
HornBow45.jpg
HornBow33.jpg
HornBow47.jpg
HornBow48.jpg

Last edited:
Hilde channeling a little Bonnie Prince Charlie--with maybe some Scots Guard/dragoon and mystery hero (or rogue?) mixed in. So, yes a bit of a mush of 17th and 18th century inspirations here (with a bit of a modern fashion twist to just complicate it a bit more), and the details needs some refining to add some realistic depth to the attire, but I like how this design has shaped up, even thus far.

Hilde: Bonnie on the Highway

0-BonHilde05.jpg

BonHilde09.jpg
BonHilde19.jpg
BonHilde35.jpg
BonHilde22.jpg
BonHilde03.jpg
BonHilde01.jpg
BonHilde02.jpg
BonHilde12.jpg
BonHilde07.jpg
BonHilde04.jpg