The Shoot-em-up Thread!

Whitey, I know I've said this many times... but I REALLY want you to try out DoDonPachi Dai Oi Jou Black Label. I think it will EASILY replace Ikaruga as your favorite. There is a reason why they call it the "definitive shooter". Its simply that good.

Mod your 360... in Japan the 360 has DDP-DOJ Black Label Extra. It would have come out in America, but Microsoft refused it.

The only shooter I can play for extended periods of time so far is Touhou. The only reason being the music is really good. I'm of the opinion that if a video game is kicking your ass, at least the music better be good.

Yes, i agree 100%, but that is not a Shmup.

You're right, it's better than a "Shmup."

Which begs the question why Halo and CoD are even brought into the discussion, since they're a different class/ sub-genre of shooter games- not fakes. Duuurr. ;)

Huh, shmups thread eh.

I am a fan, play mostly Raizing games seriously. I have a few scores on Shmups that I can be proud of.

Deathsmiles is out for the Japanese 360. I highly recomend it, it is a very accurate port. Much better than the DOJ Black Label port.

jaxel said:
Whitey, I know I've said this many times... but I REALLY want you to try out DoDonPachi Dai Oi Jou Black Label.

I'll def check it out. It just looks like a mindless bullet hell (ala Giga Wing) going by the trailers so I'm only playing it on your recommendation.

Speaking of giga wing, that game sucks. BUT the same people that made that went on to make Mars Matrix which is fabulous. the game goes for 100$ on ebay easily. Thankfully its a breeze to emulate in MAME

giga wing to me is nothing but mindless "tap the shit outta the fire button." That gimmick it has where you can reflect all the bullets came off as dumb to me and made the game seem easy. Plus the levels and enemies seem generic.

Mars Matrix makes you charge your shots for big points but in an insane game like that, you're really vulnerable when you're charging up. really gives it a nice challenge. Plus I really liked the bosses and the space theme was cool.

i dunno, its mostly my personal tastes. If ya like Giga Wing theres nothing wrong with that, I can easily see why people like it.

All of the Takumi games are centered around the shield and scoring with the shield. I am not saying Mars Matrix is identical to Giga Wing, but some of the basic principles are applied in that game. Mars Matrix is more finely honed, and has much more liberal ways to score, but there is a counter stop. :(

It really depends on how ya feel about bullet canceling. I am not that big a fan, so both games are pretty meh to me. But if bullet cancel is your bag, then Mars Matrix could possibly be the best shooter ever for ya.

As for DOJ Black or White label, it is a great game. The only thing I am not too fond of is the chaining system. It requires a ton of discipline and makes the game extremely rigid. Black label loosens things up and is the more fun of the two versions. Seriously though, Death Smiles is more flexible and fun. Check that game out.

Shiki 3 is not as popular because it is not for the PS2. That is the only reason why everyone seems to play Shiki 2 but not 3. Once again not my cup of tea, but they can be fun.

So, anyone grab Raiden 4 for the 360? It has been available in North America for a couple of days now. I'll probably buy it sometime soon. $40 USD/$50 CAD...you can also check out the Raiden Fighters Aces compilation, should be $20.

I don't know about other stores, but the only version that EB/Gamestop has is their 'limited edition' that comes with a soundtrack and a link to a PDF art book.

Barely played Parodius, only a little of Parodius Da on the NES. Hell, I've barely played Gradius, only 3 and 5...

Twinkle Star Sprites was awesome, I remember the first time I was exposed to it was my friend's brother. He actually had a Neo Geo cabinet in a small apartment bedroom, easily visible from the corridor too haha. People are playing it online too, on 2dfighter. Matches can last for quite some time.

And of course there's also Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Touhou's equivalent...

I only played the SNES verson of Parodius Da!. It was the only one without the revive option witch made it a lot harder

Anyway The parodius games from easiest to hardest would be

Gokujou Parodius (The only one I beat on the defult seting because Kid Dracula is owerpowerd in that game IMO. This was the SFC verson BTW. The arcade verson never has Kid Dracula, Goemon, and Upa as playable characters )

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (The highest I beat this on is Level 2 Because there is a HUGE dificulty spile between level 1 and 2. I found all the farries as well. Also level 8+ Loop 8 is impossibe Without cheats.)

Sexy Parodius (This game Killed me. I mean it look at the ending XP.)

Parodius Da! (No revive option=Hard)

Parodius (MSX verson) I still havent beaten it I plan to someday.

I'm playing for Team Sweden [Yellow] in the ongoing tourney on Shmups Forum. Raiden Fighters Jet was the only game this year that didn't have me pulling my hair in frustration. I'll definitly continue playing it when the tourney is over (tomorrow that is, haha).

I'm too impatient for memorizers, but I really want to be good at Ikaruga and Border Down (I get stuck on the 2nd boss on both of them)
And I'm more of a 1CC guy than a score nerd, making me not enjoy the longer/harder games so much, losing interrest before a week of playing. I guess my mind is jumping around too much, and I've got a huge backlog of games I should complete.

Well I just downloaded every numbered Touhou game EXCEPT 1-5 Because I don't know how to use the PC-98 emulator (T_T)

Back