The Story Thread

Angrel-San

[10] Knight
This thread is to talk about your opinions and overall talk about the Soul Edge/Calibur storyline and your feelings about it?

To start things off, some questions:

Since SC4 may probably be the last game featuring Siegfried and Nightmare in their roster, who do you think will make the new protagonist and the new antagonist?

How will you feel if Namco goes with a major roster overhaul for the next storyline?

What endings are the best canon endings for the next chapter?

I really doubt Namco would do away with Sieg and Nightmare. They are the flagship characters for the series. As for what ending is best for "canon", I'm going to say Hilde's.

In all honsety, I stopped following/caring about the Soul Series story after SC II, so I'm really at a lost as to what the hell is happening in the game anymore.

I really doubt Namco would do away with Sieg and Nightmare. They are the flagship characters for the series. As for what ending is best for "canon", I'm going to say Hilde's.

In all honsety, I stopped following/caring about the Soul Series story after SC II, so I'm really at a lost as to what the hell is happening in the game anymore.

yeah i do second this .She looks like she will be 1 of the new main characters and her story is the most feasible.

Well, no character ending ever comes completely true in this series, but new characters from the last game are usually shown favoritism when the prologue of the next game is written, so I'll bet Hilde comes out on top, and that's good news for Siegfried. As for Nightmare: the Nightmare will never end. He's Soul Edge, and you can't completely destroy Soul Edge.

Since Mitsu's ending/Algol's story involves a fight between Algol and Mitsu...i'll assume that the fight was canon.

Mitsu fails for not killing Algol. I'm guessing he becomes an emo samurai in SC5.

but i really don't give a shit about the story anyway.

Starkiller gives up on being Vader's little bitch, changes his name again. . .and goes on to grow his hair out and take over 2/3 of Europe before losing against Great Britain and Russia and Austria and Prussia. . .

Since everyone wandered off never to be heard from again in SC4's endings, I'm thinking that they'd have to go back and do a prequel. Back when Edgemaster was young.

No Amy ending!! NOOO!!!!
Or did I just miss it?
Oh, and Hilde's story was pretty cool. She's definitely gonna be important in possible future games. Seig's love interest, anyone?

Since everyone wandered off never to be heard from again in SC4's endings, I'm thinking that they'd have to go back and do a prequel. Back when Edgemaster was young.

no character ending ever comes completely true in this series
In fact, even though scattered events from endings (Such as Tira going to Sophitia's home) are sometimes repeated in a subsequent prologue and therefore adopted as canon, almost no details from the middle or end of story mode ever have any consequences in later games, unless it's an event that happens in every story, no matter who the player is playing as, such as the Nightmare/Siegfried fight from late in Soul Calibur 3. Anything can happen, though, because according to Soul Calibur 4, the outcome of that fight was not at all predicted by events seen anywhere in Soul Calibur 3.

Anything can happen. The only details you can depend on are prologues. Endings end up being nothing more than vague, inaccurate hints and suggestions for where the next installment might go.

SC2 ended with Nightmare Vs Raphael...To where Raphael successfully attack Soul Edge temporary separating Siegfried from Nightmare. Raphael was already badly beaten to a pulp and passed out.

SC3 starts with Siegfried destroying Soul Edge with Soul Calibur...pretty much destroying Nightmare in the process.

Enter Zasalamel...who wants to use the power of the swords to remove his immortality. He revives Nightmare and controls things in the background to bring the two swords together.

To make sense of the story in SC4 all the endings in SC3 are null and void.

Enter SC4.

Good summary, good example.

One can note that the ending of SC2 was slightly predicted by the fact that Nightmare and Raphael had each-other for a destined battle, but just like Siegfried/Nightmare in SC3, SC2 gave no hint how Nightmare vs. Raphael was going to work out.

More fun facts: nobody faced Inferno at the end of SC2, and nobody faced Abyss or Night Terror in SC3.

Well I know one thing that kind of makes the overall outcome of Soul Calibur 4 kind of blurry is the fact that there is Sig vs Nightmare and then there is Algol who is kind of a good/badguy. In ending such as Sophie's, he is clearly not as evil as the game lets off. However when trying to predict the outcome you have to put into account that if anyone fought Algol or if Algol fought nightmare for ownership of the swords and that's if he didn't already have them...which it seems that he does seeing as he fights with them.... Which only brings up the fact of how he actually has the the Swords since the whole story seems to center around the fact that Sig has Calibur and Nightmare has Edge.

I guess if I were to have to make a prediction it would be somewhere along the lines that Sig went to fight Nightmare for the "final showdown" then one of them won the fight. Then perhaps that when the winner was weak Algol stepped in and like absorbed the sword's power and shit...and the someone liked beat him or something u.u

Wow ok so like when I write I think far too much I am probably just over analyzing this way to much XD

In fact, even though scattered events from endings (Such as Tira going to Sophitia's home) are sometimes repeated in a subsequent prologue and therefore adopted as canon, almost no details from the middle or end of story mode ever have any consequences in later games, unless it's an event that happens in every story, no matter who the player is playing as, such as the Nightmare/Siegfried fight from late in Soul Calibur 3. Anything can happen, though, because according to Soul Calibur 4, the outcome of that fight was not at all predicted by events seen anywhere in Soul Calibur 3.
Thing is, elements in common do tend to be adopted. Sieg wins, the world is immured in crystals etc. Since everyone wandered off never to be heard of or seen again in history, they likely all died of beri beri. (Really all the endings were half assed. Giving the series a time dump might reinvigorate the series, compel the designers to actually think of endings etc.)

Taking the game back to Edgemaster's heyday would be interesting. Even Cervy pre demon sword would be a more interesting era. The hyper powered sword clashes are getting outrageously out of hand. There's a lot more to be done with the story when the swords haven't been fragmented 19 different ways and you don't have some jackass waving a giant crystal snowflake around.

Well I know one thing that kind of makes the overall outcome of Soul Calibur 4 kind of blurry is the fact that there is Sig vs Nightmare and then there is Algol who is kind of a good/badguy. In ending such as Sophie's, he is clearly not as evil as the game lets off. However when trying to predict the outcome you have to put into account that if anyone fought Algol or if Algol fought nightmare for ownership of the swords and that's if he didn't already have them...which it seems that he does seeing as he fights with them.... Which only brings up the fact of how he actually has the the Swords since the whole story seems to center around the fact that Sig has Calibur and Nightmare has Edge.

I guess if I were to have to make a prediction it would be somewhere along the lines that Sig went to fight Nightmare for the "final showdown" then one of them won the fight. Then perhaps that when the winner was weak Algol stepped in and like absorbed the sword's power and shit...and the someone liked beat him or something u.u

Wow ok so like when I write I think far too much I am probably just over analyzing this way to much XD

I think somewhere it states that Algol was able to make imitations of the two swords without actually owning them. If I'm wrong, my fault.

Thing is, elements in common do tend to be adopted. Sieg wins, the world is immured in crystals etc. Since everyone wandered off never to be heard of or seen again in history, they likely all died of beri beri. (Really all the endings were half assed. Giving the series a time dump might reinvigorate the series, compel the designers to actually think of endings etc.)

Taking the game back to Edgemaster's heyday would be interesting. Even Cervy pre demon sword would be a more interesting era. The hyper powered sword clashes are getting outrageously out of hand. There's a lot more to be done with the story when the swords haven't been fragmented 19 different ways and you don't have some jackass waving a giant crystal snowflake around.

I get what your saying but a lot of the characters would be gone if there was a prequel done. I mean Aside from Cervy, edgemaster and possible a time jumping Zas...lol...the entire cast would have to be new people. I don't know about the majority but I would be highly upset to see that someone like Hilde be thrown out of the game right after her Debut.

I get what your saying but a lot of the characters would be gone if there was a prequel done. I mean Aside from Cervy, edgemaster and possible a time jumping Zas...lol...the entire cast would have to be new people. I don't know about the majority but I would be highly upset to see that someone like Hilde be thrown out of the game right after her Debut.
Zas has been living a long time. He wouldn't need to time jump. The character isn't as important as the weapon style. Seeing character's ancestors would be interesting too.

Btw, is there a connection between Tira and Raphael?
Both their Critical Finish shows them biting the enemy's neck like vampires.

I don't know about the majority but I would be highly upset to see that someone like Hilde be thrown out of the game right after her Debut.

I was highly upset that Li Long, an awesome assassin, got dumped for an Elvis wannabe that isn't even that popular.

I was highly upset that Li Long, an awesome assassin, got dumped for an Elvis wannabe that isn't even that popular.

You don't play online do you?

Losing Hwang was the biggest character lose in my opinion.

For SC story to continue...Algol or Nightmare have to win. For it to end...follow Hilde's story in SC4.

Well, Namco did say that this will be the final chapter in the Siegfried/Nightmare arc.

If that remains true, Nightmare as the Soul Edge host will be gone since he's had it for 4 games already.

And if they plan to get rid of Siegfried, Hilde's ending makes sense since Siegfried goes into retirement there, or Taki's ending too since he dies there with convincing reasons after defeating Nightmare.

Back