The team fortress 2 thread

I like vent, but Skype is also pretty good for being free. It works pretty well if you don't have problems with background noise. I used to do 5 people on one call for arena in WoW.

Also my steam account name is "thehumbug". I'm not really active right now, but I do jump in on matches if I see people playing.

Skype is cool for being free, but it disconnects a LOT. Not really something we want to happen in the middle of a match, constantly.

Skype is cool for being free, but it disconnects a LOT. Not really something we want to happen in the middle of a match, constantly.
Weird. I got to 2000 rating in that game for 2s, 3s, and 5s, with Skype and I've never seen someone disconnected from a call. Not that I don't believe you, but I've been disconnected and locked out of vent at some pretty shitty times too. I do passionately love vent. I just find Skype is overlooked as a possibility way too often, almost 100% of the time actually.

Also, to make disconnecting from Skype/Teamspeak/Vent less painful, play TF2 (or any other source game) in windowed mode. This way alt-tabbing won't take you out of the game for 3 minutes.

Weird. I got to 2000 rating in that game for 2s, 3s, and 5s, with Skype and I've never seen someone disconnected from a call. Not that I don't believe you, but I've been disconnected and locked out of vent at some pretty shitty times too. I do passionately love vent. I just find Skype is overlooked as a possibility way too often, almost 100% of the time actually.

Also, to make disconnecting from Skype/Teamspeak/Vent less painful, play TF2 (or any other source game) in windowed mode. This way alt-tabbing won't take you out of the game for 3 minutes.

I hear what you mean, but I think it's too much trouble if there's already another, and better option at hand. If Rek gets tired of renting a server, then we'll havta deal with skype or steam chat.

Also, I already play in windowed mode. lol

Gonna be gone tomorrow night and most of Saturday, as I've been enlisted to drive my grandfather to a family reunion. :[

NO, I DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED OR FORCED TO BECAUSE MY MOM AND ABUELA KEEP BUGGING ME ABOUT IT. I'M DOING IT BECAUSE I LIKE HANGING OUT WITH MY INSANE FAMILY I DON'T KNOW. >_____>;

Anyway. Uhm. Know any good servers to play on?

I know a ton. Played on the =eGo= servers last night and they have some incredibly good players and there are a few other servers I can think of that you can ease yourselves into if youre not ready for dive-bombing soldiers. Valve has their own servers up where the newer players seem to be flocking to.

Being somewhat into the hat market in TF its really amazing to me the buisness acumen (for lack of a better term) of some of the nerds on here.

The way I usually see buisness deals go down is:

Party A has something they wish to sell/trade
Party B has the goods/money that your looking for your sale/trade

IF party B asks party A to name his Price on how much he'd like for said items, it makes sense that Party A would absolutely throw out an offer thats somewhat fair, but still on the higher end of the spectrum. Its human nature to want a bit more. This is where the dealing aspect comes into play. A typical reasonable deal in TF would go something like this:

Party A: 'Ello guvna, ive got 1 hat for a heavy to trade ya!
Party B: Good morrow fine sir! How much for said hat would you like?
Party A: Well I twas lookin' for somethin' around 2 Refined for it!
Party B: Thats slightly higher then I was looking to trade good gentleman, how about 1 refined and 1 reclaimed!
Party A: Thats a fai' offa luv! Deal!
Party B: Good show ol' chap!

You notice that while party A offered higher then the normal price of refined metal (essentially the currency of TF2) Party B was able use COMMON SENSE, and NOT FREAK OUT (this is key) at the offer and deal so both ppl were happy w the trade

Now this is example 2 of the average TF2 nerd and an almost verbatim trade that I had go down

Me: Hey man, you were looking to trade for this Unusual Hottie's Hoodie Ive got?
TF2Nerd: Yeah, how much you looking for it?
Me: Around 8 buds
TF2Nerd: ......
Tf2Nerd: Did you just fucking say that to me?
Me: What?
Tf2Nerd: Did you just FUCKING say THAT to ME!?
Me: ...wtf?
TF2Nerd: HOW DARE YOU ASK FOR THAT SHIT! I HOPE YOU FUXN CHOKE ON DIX YEW FAGGOAT!

Trade ends.

This is the average TF2 trade.

I used to try to trade items in Diablo 2, with similar endings to the story.

I present armor that is VERY good that anyone can use, but I have outgrown. I offer it to someone 20 levels under me and ask if he would give me that awesome sword his sorceress has, because she will never ever use it. He demands tons of other things that are nowhere in the realm of what the offer is worth, and when I tell him he will never get anyone to ever give him what he wants, and that my deal is pretty much amazing, I just get "lol," *player has left server.*

I've encountered that in many situations on the various games/avatar sites I've gone to when I was younger.

"I have this extremely rare item that was released in the same month as yours, in the same envelope, can we trade for the other item?"
"NO, YOU NEED TO ADD A MILLION GOLD AND YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD TO THAT OFFER."
"But... they're worth the same. "
"NO YOU FOOGUT, I DEMAND MORE BECAUSE I'M GOING OUT OF MY WAY TO CLICK THE TRADE AND TYPE IN MY PASSWORD A COUPLE TIMES. GTFO, YOU FUKNURD."

It gets far worse when you get into the unusual hat market. Unusual hats are hats that have a special effect. For example, this is a Demoman's Glengarry Bonnet with Scorching Flames effect:
scorchingbonnet.png
(i hope this image works, i cant see it from work)
These you can only get from opening crates and you've only got a 1% chance of getting one of these hats. The trading power or sellability of these hats isnt based on their actual rarity though, so much as their popularity. So while you may have a hat thats only 1 of 2 in the entirety of the game, it can be a pain in the ass to get anyone to sell to cause the effect isnt popular.

Besides this, and this is the true nerdery of TF2 hats, these hats can sell for RIDICULOUS amounts of ACTUAL CASH. An example Link at sourceop.com
http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10777

A Soldier's Chieftain's Challenge Hat with Sunbeams effect (one of the most, if not the most popular) with a Buyout of $330, which is average for a hat with Sunbeams.

I will sell any hat I get for real life money. I don't care about them at all, and will throw them in the street for money.

Unusuals are the only ones youre gonna get cash for. The first one i got i unboxed about a week ago and traded it off for a decent Medic one with whats considered a "mid tier" effect so it wouldnt sell for much, but I like it. The second one i uncrated a day later I couldve made fat cash on but made a bad trade to get my brother his own unusual. Now Im stuck with a Pyro hoodie that looks awesome, but no one wants cause of the effect.

And Im hot on the trail for your Bills Hat, Rek. People dont seem to want to give me what your scout hat is worth, but ill find someone.

Back