The Throne Taker Gallery is here! CaliburofCreation7 has offically arrived!

Jay Jackson

[09] Warrior
For years I've come to 8wayrun.com to check out some the communities best Cas Artists, and among several impressive artists, one always stood out the most and it was Gatsu. I've sharpened my skills to a razor's edge, beinging an artist naturally has been a huge asset in creating. I've posted my work on Reddit and several Facebook groups as well. But I haven't found anyone remotely close to Gatsu's level. For years I've always wanted to see how I stack up against 8wayrun's Cas king. This gallery isn't titled Throne Taker for nothing!
Harec from Space Lords.jpg
Dolgren from Space Lords.jpg
Lycus Dion from Space lords.jpg
Shamash from Space Lords.jpg
Iune from Space Lords.jpg
Ginebra from Space Lords.jpg
Aneska from Space Lords.jpg
Somma from Space Lords.jpg
Alicia from Space lords.jpg
Shae from Space Lords.jpg
Raiden from Mortal Kombat 10.jpg
Thunder Fire God Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat 11.jpg
Kotal Kahn from Mortal Kombat 11.jpg
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat 11.jpg
Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 10.jpg
Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat 11.jpg
Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden.jpg
Rikimaru from Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven.jpg
Strider Hiryu.jpg
Strider Hien.jpg
Yaiba from Ninja Gaiden Yaiba.jpg
Wolf from Sekiro Shadows Die Twice.jpg
Doom Slayer from DOOM Eternal.jpg
Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem Forever.jpg
A Yajuta Warrior from the Predator franchise.jpg
Major Lin Kurosawa from Aliens VS Predator.jpg
Asura from Asura's Wrath.jpg
Augus from Asura's Wrath.jpg
Kratos from God of War.jpg
Kratos & Demios from the Ghost of Sparta.jpg

Attachments

• green ranger from Power Rangers vs. Street Fighter.jpg
    green ranger from Power Rangers vs. Street Fighter.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 218
  • White Ranger from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.jpg
    White Ranger from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
  • Red Ranger from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.jpg
    Red Ranger from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 124
  • Red Ranger from Power Rangers Zeo.jpg
    Red Ranger from Power Rangers Zeo.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
  • Gold Ranger from Power Rangers Zeo.jpg
    Gold Ranger from Power Rangers Zeo.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 134
  • White Ranger from Power Rangers Dino Thunder.jpg
    White Ranger from Power Rangers Dino Thunder.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 121
  • Doggie Anubis.jpg
    Doggie Anubis.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 146
  • Polish_20200420_112041010.jpg
    Polish_20200420_112041010.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • Polish_20200421_034250386.jpg
    Polish_20200421_034250386.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 147
  • Polish_20200421_034422151.jpg
    Polish_20200421_034422151.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
  • Polish_20200421_035405568.jpg
    Polish_20200421_035405568.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 125
  • Polish_20200421_041631384.jpg
    Polish_20200421_041631384.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 123
  • Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    Leonardo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 181
  • Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 124
  • Michelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    Michelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 132
  • Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 131
  • The Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    The Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • Rocksteady from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    Rocksteady from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
  • Goliath from Gargoyles.jpg
    Goliath from Gargoyles.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 144
  • Demona from Gargoyles.jpg
    Demona from Gargoyles.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
  • Destro from GI Joe.jpg
    Destro from GI Joe.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
  • Crimson Guard Baroness from GI Joe.jpg
    Crimson Guard Baroness from GI Joe.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 172
  • Dr. Mindbender from GI Joe.jpg
    Dr. Mindbender from GI Joe.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 135
  • Tomax from GI Joe.jpg
    Tomax from GI Joe.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Storm Shadow unmasked from GI Joe.jpg
    Storm Shadow unmasked from GI Joe.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 101
  • Snake Eyes from GI Joe.jpg
    Snake Eyes from GI Joe.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Beach Head from GI Joe.jpg
    Beach Head from GI Joe.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 118
OK, a batch of good RCAS with some intriguing neverbeforeseen ExEq builds but...
absolutely zero originality, no OCs, color issues, pattern issues, readability issues...some RCAS have been done way better...
Example : Colossus is nicely done but body build is too thin, face is off (childish)...just an example.
Of course we might have an edge due to the fact we own DLC items (not sure you do)

Let me pick three RCAS :
Hellboy
Kratos
Predator
Allow me to show you my versions of those and you might understand why they lack some punch or realism...n

Black Panther is very well done !

I knew you were trolling for attention, and honestly this is pretty competent stuff but you got room for improvement and i don't see how your stuff is in any way better than the most skilled CAS artists out there.
Just saying, but please carry on posting, i am especially interested in any OCs of yours, which will reveal your true mastery and potential...

Merci and welcome !
Much appreciated for checking out the gallery, and as I stated before their are alot more to come. If I'm doing a RCAS I pick what I feel is the best to created based on source material and other requirements. So if my RCAS was based the Predator I picked a neca figure model that I wanted to create. The Hellboy is pretty much the same, personally if you're talking about adding blood or a distressed theme it depends if feel it's necessary for the tone of the Cas.

Hey, I remember some of these from Reddit. Pretty neat texture work. I especially like what you’ve done with the Power Rangers. BiTS green ranger is pretty clever.

I’m gonna have to echo Vil’s comments though. You talk big game but all of these are somebody else’s designs which you just adapted into the game. You’ve done it very competently, certainly better than most recreations you see around the internet, but proclaiming yourself the king seems silly when we haven’t even seen your original designs. Nobody gains from petty trash talk like this.

These are excellent, and I'm glad you didn't post half baked CAS. That would be embarrassing on your part. I would consider your CAS skills better than most CAS artists here. To be on Gatsu level though? You still got ways to go. As stated in your opening post, he's the one CAS artist stood out from the rest.

That means you're gonna have to work double time to impress. To steal what he has. Basically you got to be that guy that is worshipped like a CAS god artist. You feel the pressure right?

I know I'm not the best eye of CAS, but I know this a great start compared to others here. To also echo VILARCANE, I'm curious to see more OCs. I find more pleasure in getting know an artist through the original characters they make.

Keep on sharing.

Last edited:
OK, a batch of good RCAS with some intriguing neverbeforeseen ExEq builds but...
absolutely zero originality, no OCs, color issues, pattern issues, readability issues...some RCAS have been done way better...
Example : Colossus is nicely done but body build is too thin, face is off (childish)...just an example.
Of course we might have an edge due to the fact we own DLC items (not sure you do)

Let me pick three RCAS :
Hellboy
Kratos
Predator
Allow me to show you my versions of those and you might understand why they lack some punch or realism...n

Black Panther is very well done !

I knew you were trolling for attention, and honestly this is pretty competent stuff but you got room for improvement and i don't see how your stuff is in any way better than the most skilled CAS artists out there.
Just saying, but please carry on posting, i am especially interested in any OCs of yours, which will reveal your true mastery and potential...

Merci and welcome !
Normally I'd let a few of your remarks past however I'm not that generous when it comes down to arrogant badgering. Again let's look at a few things the Colossus that you found underwhelming is based off the original X-men design from 1982. I don't like the gruff appearance at all. And far as DLC i own all of the packs, they are applied when necessary based off the source material in which my inspiration is derived. And your comments about texture and stickering, again I don't feel it necessary to add my on personal touch to something I'm fabricating that's not of my own design that's blatant hubris. Understand I've done more than 300 Cas's, and these were from 2017. I can assure you that I'm more than versed at design and creation, it's good to know that cas artist like yourself do exist, who believe they are beyond reach because if you didn't have remotely the talent shown I'd say the same thing about your entries as well, careful in your criticism because I can assure you this isn't all I'm capable of..

Last edited:
Hi, I agree with the comments from CAS members. Your achievements are very successful, but unfortunately, I only see reproductions of characters known in popular culture. For me, the very essence of this game is CREATION born from your imagination and nothing else. Otherwise, I wouldn't be playing Soulcalibur. Here, creativity is abundant in the broad sense and sometimes surprising in its conception ... Here you can share your ideas, find inspiration and why not use a brilliant idea from another member of the forum if it fits perfectly to your goal: to create an ORIGINAL character. This is the real difficulty and the challenge to be taken up to impress me ... I am not in ecstasy because it is the duplication of existing work. You worked and it's nice but I don't see a personal creation ... I want to see and honestly judge the feeling of your creations.

Hi, I agree with the comments from CAS members. Your achievements are very successful, but unfortunately, I only see reproductions of characters known in popular culture. For me, the very essence of this game is CREATION born from your imagination and nothing else. Otherwise, I wouldn't be playing Soulcalibur. Here, creativity is abundant in the broad sense and sometimes surprising in its conception ... Here you can share your ideas, find inspiration and why not use a brilliant idea from another member of the forum if it fits perfectly to your goal: to create an ORIGINAL character. This is the real difficulty and the challenge to be taken up to impress me ... I am not in ecstasy because it is the duplication of existing work. You worked and it's nice but I don't see a personal creation ... I want to see and honestly judge the feeling of your creations.
tsameth
Thank you, I do appreciate the time to look at my gallery. And I do have oc cas that I will share and post soon.

First off, regarding the tone of the feedback/discussion so far, Jay: I know Vil's assessments can have a little bit of a patronizing voice to them at times, but to some degree you opened yourself up to detailed and rigorous criticism by way of the manner in which you framed your thread. First off, picking any one person as -the- king is always going to have you wading into currents of competitive pride. And if you then go further to say that person actually was just the best who existed until you deigned to share your work, it shouldn't be a surprise if some of the feedback you receive is heavy with deconstruction that can be disfavourable. I suspect you meant it half jokingly, but I also suspect that you do think you're at least close to that mark, and I'm not sure that's necessarily gonna be the consensus. For one, this is really a very small selection to make such an an argument on. But I trust you have more coming to try to make your case, and I like what I see here enough that I'm interested to see what else you have. :)

On that note, I'm going to direct most of my own feedback to designs and features I liked, which is an approach I prefer for both pragmatic reasons and for my own enjoyment:
  • I love the punk blue hair--very cleverly approached. I can't quite place this character. Deus Ex? Alita?
  • I similarly like the eyes on the next deisgn down: nothing novel there but the colour balance really draws your attention.
  • Ryu's helm is a utilization of that object that I have not quite seen before (and I've leveraged it on a fair few designs).
  • Strider is very faithful! Not sure about using Groh's style, but I guess they do share a certain rushdown flair in their attack animations.
  • I like gothic fantasy Master Chief, and lol'd at Duke Nukem, complete with blackout Raybans. :)
  • Convincing Azwels and Kratoses (Kratoi?).
  • We hit on very similar approaches to Rocksteady: I'm guessing yours is from some more contemporary take on the character? Mine I based on the original cartoon as that is my frame of reference for Ninja Turtles. :D
  • I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I thought 80s X-MEN Wolverine is fun.
  • Very clever approach to Spawn's cape: I think it needs some refinement, but even just having the cowl for close-up shots really helps sell that character.
I want to note also that I don't think that reference characters are really less impressive than original or riffed designs: they just require a different kind of creativity. Indeed, there are special challenges in trying to reproduce a standard design and they can as easily be cases of impressive out-of-the-box thinking. I tend to do a mix, personally--and I do think it's pretty much a requirement for any, ahem, claimants tot he throne. ;) But I respect reference designs at a very similar level as to original designs.

For pure volume of high quality designs and pure consistency over the years in finding novel new ways to leverage the tools, I have to vote for Vil. Just by virtue of his obsessive productivity and willingness to always be willing to push the line on what can be done (his insect people still make me shake my head knowing I never would have thought such a concept could come out so well, and so never would have thought to try). Gatsu's quite good too though, with a degree of faithfulness in his reference designs that is crazy sometimes--and certainly no slouch in the productivity department either.

But here's the thing: I think there's about seven, eight, maybe nine of us here that are all about within a ballpark of eachother. Whoever is the best within that group, there is a small field of other CaSers nipping at their heels. I don't feel massively outclassed by anyone here, except maybe in terms of dedication; there's something that's true of most artistic processes that is especially so in this context: perseverance can ultimately end up the biggest factor. Anyway, I do think there is a very select group of CaS artists here, but it's not just one or two names, imo.

Last edited:
Hey, I remember some of these from Reddit. Pretty neat texture work. I especially like what you’ve done with the Power Rangers. BiTS green ranger is pretty clever.

I’m gonna have to echo Vil’s comments though. You talk big game but all of these are somebody else’s designs which you just adapted into the game. You’ve done it very competently, certainly better than most recreations you see around the internet, but proclaiming yourself the king seems silly when we haven’t even seen your original designs. Nobody gains from petty trash talk like this.
Don't take my words as hubris and knowing what you're capable of isn't trash talk understand the difference, but thank u for the view never the less.

First off, regarding the tone of the feedback/discussion so far, Jay: I know Vil's assessments can have a little bit of a patronizing voice to them at times, but to some degree you opened yourself up to detailed and rigorous criticism by way of the manner in which you framed your thread. First off, picking any one person as -the- king is always going to have you wading into currents of competitive pride. And if you then go further to say that person actually was just the best who existed until you deigned to share your work, it shouldn't be a surprise if some of the feedback you receive is heavy with deconstruction that can be disfavourable. I suspect you meant it half jokingly, but I also suspect that you do think you're at least close to that mark, and I'm not sure that's necessarily gonna be the consensus. For one, this is really a very small selection to make such an an argument on. But I trust you have more coming to try to make your case, and I like what I see here enough that I'm interested to see what else you have. :)

On that note, I'm going to direct most of my own feedback to designs and features I liked, which is an approach I prefer for both pragmatic reasons and for my own enjoyment:
  • I love the punk blue hair--very cleverly approached. I can't quite place this character. Deus Ex? Alita?
  • I similarly like the eyes on the next deisgn down: nothing novel there but the colour balance really draws your attention.
  • Ryu's helm is a utilization of that object that I have not quite seen before (and I've leveraged it on a fair few designs).
  • Strider is very faithful! Not sure about using Groh's style, but I guess they do share a certain rushdown flair in their attack animations.
  • I like gothic fantasy Master Chief, and lol'd at Duke Nukem, complete with blackout Raybans. :)
  • Convincing Azwels and Kratoses (Kratoi?).
  • We hit on very similar approaches to Rocksteady: I'm guessing yours is from some more contemporary take on the character? Mine I based on the original cartoon as that is my frame of reference for Ninja Turtles. :D
  • I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I thought 80s X-MEN Wolverine is fun.
  • Very clever approach to Spawn's cape: I think it needs some refinement, but even just having the cowl's for close-up shots really helps sell that character.
I want to note also that I don't think that reference characters are really less impressive than original or riffed designs: they just require a different kind of creativity. Indeed, there are special challenges in trying to reproduce a standard design and they can as easily be cases of impressive out-of-the-box thinking. I tend to do a mix, personally--and I do think it's pretty much a requirement for any, ahem, claimants tot he throne. ;) But I respected reference designs at a very similar level as to original designs.

For pure volume of high quality designs and pure consistency over the years in finding novel new ways to leverage the tools, I have to vote for Vil. Just by virtue of his obsessive productivity and willingness to always be willing to push the line on what can be done (his insect people still make me shake my head knowing I never would have thought such a concept could come out so well, and so never would have thought to try). Gatsu's quite good too though, with a degree of faithfulness in his reference designs that is crazy sometimes--and certainly no slouch in the productivity department either.

But here's the thing: I think there's about seven, eight, maybe nine of us here that are all about within a ballpark of eachother. Whoever is the best within that group, there is a small field of other CaSers nipping at their heels. I don't feel massively outclassed by anyone here, except maybe in terms of dedication; there's something that's true of most artistic processes that is especially so in this context: perseverance can ultimately end up the biggest factor. Anyway, I do think there is a very select group of CaS artists here, but it's not just one or two names, imo.

I do appreciate the careful acessment, but the spoiler comments I'm not going read all of that period my time is very short and if it's not condensed to 3 paragraphs it's a waste. The Strider design is based off the Marvel vs capcom iteration. And as I've stated I pick the best design that works with the CAS dynamic. The point with Gatsu is 7 years in the making for me and I'll be honest just recently in the past 3 years I've started to see decent creations from people on 8wayrun. Before that they were all lack lust in execution. Gatsu is the only reason I've kept coming back to this board for and is a huge part of why I've grown as a cas artist. So in short this my way of gratitude for that and I won't apologize for it.

Last edited:
I do appreciate the careful acessment, but the spoiler comments I'm not going read all of that period my time is very short and if it's condensed to 3 paragraphs it's a waste. The STRIDER design is based off the Marvel vs capcom iteration. And as I've stated I pick the best design that works with the CAS dynamic. The point with gatsu is 7years in works for me and I'll be honest just recently in the past 3 years I've started to see decent creations, before that they were all lack lust in execution. Gatsu is the only I've kept coming back to this board and is a huge part of why I grown as a cas artist. So in short this my why of gratitude for that and I won't apologize for it.
Nobody is asking you to apologize for anything, least of all appreciating another artist, using them as your yardstick, or voicing your enthusiasm generally. I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said, when I lauded Gatsu as well and went out of my way to be the first person to focus almost exclusively on positive feedback regarding your work. I'm just suggesting there might be a better way to go about sharing your own content besides setting things up to fall into a psuedo flame war and then not having the thickest of skin when it comes to criticism. But personally, I think I've hit my cost-benefit of participation wall for this particular thread--at least beyond maybe coming back to see what you add. Have fun.

Last edited:
I do appreciate the careful acessment, but the spoiler comments I'm not going read all of that period my time is very short and if it's not condensed to 3 paragraphs it's a waste. The Strider design is based off the Marvel vs capcom iteration. And as I've stated I pick the best design that works with the CAS dynamic. The point with Gatsu is 7 years in the making for me and I'll be honest just recently in the past 3 years I've started to see decent creations from people on 8wayrun. Before that they were all lack lust in execution. Gatsu is the only reason I've kept coming back to this board for and is a huge part of why I've grown as a cas artist. So in short this my way of gratitude for that and I won't apologize for it.
I'm all for competition and reaching goals, but while you were undercover, you could of went out swinging like some CAS artists here. Then maybe you would be wearing a crown and not put on blast. Just saying.

I only know a few artists so far that made me like their whole thread aside from Gatsu. They may have their lows but they even got Gatsu to feed off them.

And that's just it: you should of joined in the fun sooner to be inspired while inspiring others.

That's my take on it and why you're not cas king despite the excellent CAS you have. Despite my skepticism, I await your next CAS 8wayrunner.

I'm all for competition and reaching goals, but while you were undercover, you could of went out swinging like some CAS artists here. Then maybe you would be wearing a crown and not put on blast. Just saying.

I only know a few artists so far that made me like their whole thread aside from Gatsu. They may have their lows but they even got Gatsu to feed off them.

And that's just it: you should of joined in the fun sooner to be inspired while inspiring others.

That's my take on it and why you're not cas king despite the excellent CAS you have. Despite my skepticism, I await your next CAS 8wayrunner.
As I stated beforehand, I had no interest in posting until now, and far as being put on blasted not hardly and if you think I'm concerned with anyone else's assessment other than Gatsu's opinion then you'd be mistaken. 8wayrun.com like so many other social media platforms that have a community for cas artist are vast, however the range of talent is basically substandard. Contrary to your statement earlier about being late again it's an opinion shared by a few not the many or masses. I'm not going debate your opinion, trust me I know what's coming soon far as my work. For every 100 cas artist their only 4 that standout, and that's about the ratio on any platform or site and 8way is no exception to this. When I have time I'll post more of my work.

First of welcome to our CaS community! Secondly as SoulCalibur CaS artist here in 8wayrun, I have to say that your creations are all awesome! I see inspiration, quality and creativity! Well done for your good work and congratulations!

P.S The Mortal Kombat cast really got me and also I love your Power Rangers, God of War, Ryu Hayabusa, Azura! You have the talent! I'm looking forward for more!

Back