The Weight Loss Thread

They may be high in sodium but you mostly just sweat it all off. (Especially if you do a lot of cardio or hit the steam room afterward before leaving the gym)
Their sodium amount is pretty much the same if you were to be cooking something at home.
But if you don't want to eat frozen dinners, which is fine, then definitely try to look up a diet/nutrition list online or talk to your nutritionist.

This is wat I need help with as well. When I start my workout next month I need to wat to eat. Like how many crabs, fat, and sodium I should be having a day. For my height (5'5) I think I should be at 150 i think. Which means I would only have to lose like 20+ lbs.

I'll ask this in the p90x thread as well Jus to be safe but I heard it was better to workout in the morning than after work or something. Is this true? Atm I have a morning shift job and waking up amy earlier would be killer. But i can put up with it I guess. Thoughts on this?

Aside from being high in sodium and overly processed, frozen dinners will also leave your hunger unsatisfied. I personally don't know anyone who can subside on just one of those teency weency proportions without feeling like they're starving themselves. You can supplement them with fresh fruits/vegetables and whole grains... but then you might as well have cooked yourself a fresh low-cal meal to begin with. Cooking at home is the easiest way to maintain a balanced diet since you have more control over what goes in your food and what doesn't. Best way to go is lean meat and high fiber! (I usually go for calorie-dense foods, but it helps to know what kinds of food help achieve different goals.)

And did I mention frozen meals are weird and disgusting? :X

I'll ask this in the p90x thread as well Jus to be safe but I heard it was better to workout in the morning than after work or something. Is this true? Atm I have a morning shift job and waking up amy earlier would be killer. But i can put up with it I guess. Thoughts on this?
You should work out at a time where you won't completely dread doing it. If waking up an hour or so earlier is going to be a huge deal then you're more likely to ditch out on your workout. Do it at a time that will make it easier on your routine.

Alright so progress report. First, I'm gonna be honest, I've been eating stuff I wasn't supposed to. (SMH) But this morning before eating breakfast I weighed myself and the result? 186 lbs. So I've lost 5 pounds. Not bad.

I was off yesterday and am off today. Really gonna do my best starting the tomorrow. Also, my cardio exercise needs to be pushed. "Slowly but surely".

dreamkiller, what playboy said is correct. it is hard enough to motivate yourself to work out any time, so do it when it is convenient for you.

however, if you wake up, eat a high carb diet and then work out (high rep/low weight or cardio) it will train your body to have higher metabolism. since you aim to lose fat instead of gain muscle, this is very important.

doing your exercise in the AM will make your body burn almost twice as much calories during the day, which means that you will not have to be very strict, if at all, on your diet. also keep in mind that even though it tires you out, working out in the evening or night raises your heart rate by quite a bit and makes it a fair deal harder to go to sleep. it also makes you get late night hunger, which is your WORST enemy if you are trying to lose weight.

i lost almost 40 lbs in 5 months simply by getting up and eating every day and then making myself eat every 4 hours and keeping a nalgene bottle handy to drink as much water as i could all day. no real forbidden foods, no fasting periods, no exercise. drinking tons of water and eating early are, in my opinion, the most important factors to losing fat. you'd be surprized how much less hungry you are when you drink lots of water. your body tells you it needs shit all the time, so you eat, but really all it wants is some water! drink a full glass a few minutes before you eat and see how much more filling the meal is! it is amazing how much your body will improve on its own once you trick it into burning fat at a faster rate.

that said, if you REALLY want to lose weight just go with the "jenny crank" or "body by meth" diet:

a line for breakfast, a line for lunch, and then whatever you want for dinner...which is usually either nothing or another line.

:P

It's not that simple. Sure, you can lose weight by eating whatever you want (as we know, it mostly comes down to calories in=calories out, so you can even lose weight by eating fast foods) but if you want to lose only fat you will need a balanced diet, otherwise you will also lose lean body mass. IMO high protein diet and exercise are essential during weight loss.

but was your metabolism high before? i don't know but when i did a couple things to change my metabolism it changed everything. sure, it isn't the best way to go about weight loss, but i do think it is the crucial first step, and that diet and exercise are kinda futile until you can raise your metabolism.

i don't know, though. that is only what worked for me. everyone's body is different.

my metabolism was always low, if that wasn't the case I would have problem getting fat like I was. Exercise is the best way to increase the metabolism from what I know, there are many other ways to do it (water, eating 5-6 times a day, and certain foods) but I think exercise is most important because it has other benefits. I think it's unlikely for one to achieve his "dream" body without any training.

@mizu
your solid as is. Just add what lobo does to your routine by exercising when your most comfortable (preferably not late night since it might disturb your sleep pattern and inhibit protein synthesis), eating something every 4 hours and drinking only / high amounts of water. Believe me you'll see results way before you expect them.
Also it is essential to do both cardio and lifting if you want to lose fat.

@DreamKiller
Your caloric intake should be below 1500 calories a day, but It should be above 1000, otherwise your body will store fat in order to have enough energy to get through the day.
Carbs are a little harder to calculate, because there are different types of carbs. If you are resolute on strictly losing weight your carb intake should be from 35-80 grams a day ( this is Dependant on your exercise/ general activity level). These should be complex non-refined carbohydrates. If possible stay away from white bread, white pasta, white rice, and high fructose corn syrup. All these will raise your blood sugar and make you hungrier faster.

Also GAINING MUSCLE MAKES YOU LOSE FAT! (IT PROMOTES LEANNESS). A single pound will burn up to an extra 50 calories a day. if you gain 10 pounds of muscle you'll burn through 500 more calories a day. :)

I

@DreamKiller
Your caloric intake should be below 1500 calories a day, but It should be above 1000, otherwise your body will store fat in order to have enough energy to get through the day.
Carbs are a little harder to calculate, because there are different types of carbs. If you are resolute on strictly losing weight your carb intake should be from 35-80 grams a day ( this is Dependant on your exercise/ general activity level). These should be complex non-refined carbohydrates. If possible stay away from white bread, white pasta, white rice, and high fructose corn syrup. All these will raise your blood sugar and make you hungrier faster.

I agree'd to everything to the point except for this part right here. below 1500?! that's like......crazy for ya metabolism. If anything on days DK works out it should be at least 1,700 and on days where he's not working out about 1,500. Anything below 1,400 calories can lower metabolism, so you'll lose weight, but you will end up gaining it right back. Seriously, below 1,500 is like....... maybe two meals a day, and two meals strecthed over a whole day isn't enough, even if your eating every 3 hours or so.

Avoiding cheating during the holiday is pretty much inevitable. It's nothing to worry about, though. It's not like you will end up gaining 2-3lbs of FAT during that time. Mostly it's water weight that will come off gradually.

I agree'd to everything to the point except for this part right here. below 1500?! that's like......crazy for ya metabolism. If anything on days DK works out it should be at least 1,700 and on days where he's not working out about 1,500. Anything below 1,400 calories can lower metabolism, so you'll lose weight, but you will end up gaining it right back. Seriously, below 1,500 is like....... maybe two meals a day, and two meals strecthed over a whole day isn't enough, even if your eating every 3 hours or so.
He's only 5'5. I think he could try 1500 a day to see how his body reacts. I am @ about 1800 a day and I struggle to lose fat even though I work out every day. Everybody is different.

He's only 5'5. I think he could try 1500 a day to see how his body reacts. I am @ about 1800 a day and I struggle to lose fat even though I work out every day. Everybody is different.

1,500 is kinda pushing it imo, cause overall i know the changes come from calories in vs calories out, but metabolism plays a huge roll in that category (Michael Phelps eats about 12,000 calories a day, and you know how small he is), and eating about 1,500 a day can diminish it.

Naturally everyone is recommended to be based off a 2,000 calorie diet, usually that's the minimum for all diets to stay a healthy weight (with some form of exercise that is).

1,500 kinda tweaks that and slows it down in alot of people.

You mean the swimmer? He is 6'4 and obviously as a gold medalist he must train a lot to consume 12000 calories a day and stay lean at low body fat percentage. An average person eating that much would most likely gain 100-150lbs in a year :P To know exactly how much DK should be eating, calculating his basal metabolic rate is necessary.

By the way, how are you doing Shogun? Still at p90x? And everyone else? I wonder if Arrogant is still sticking to his diet :P

Yep that's the guy, his metabolism is like crazy! I know he trains alot but 12,000 calories?! That's still pretty insane.

Me I can eat comfortably 2,400 calories a day.

And yea i got to stay on the p90x :D. I've been doing doubles still and it's crazy, my body is getting use to it. I blow through Kenpo X now and i'm thinking about throwing a plyometrics in with the workout to make me get more muscle confusion.

I've lost weight I believe, I just won't know until I take another photo when I get back to school. I've just been told since after thanksgiving i get teased about looking alot skinnier in the waist, even had some girls rub on me lol. I know I got more toned in my arms and shoulders. I'm curling 40's in the back and biceps routine now also.

That's good to hear. I will start doubles next week. I will also post a progress pic in the p90x thread although I haven't lost much weight. It's the closest I have ever been to abs but I still have a long way to go.

You curl 40lbs? lol I envy you. I use 25lb weights for back and biceps and it's still kicking my ass after a while. I don't have a lot of strenght unfortunately but it's slowly getting better. I can only dream of doing pull ups or chin ups like they do in the videos.

2egbadx.jpg

Hey... Carlton Banks would like his outfit back.

That's good to hear. I will start doubles next week. I will also post a progress pic in the p90x thread although I haven't lost much weight. It's the closest I have ever been to abs but I still have a long way to go.

You curl 40lbs? lol I envy you. I use 25lb weights for back and biceps and it's still kicking my ass after a while. I don't have a lot of strenght unfortunately but it's slowly getting better. I can only dream of doing pull ups or chin ups like they do in the videos.

That's what's up! I'm gonna do the same thing when I get the chance.

Yea I currently curl 40's in the routine, it gets kinda shaky doing the 40's on 21's and static arm curls, but not enough to where I cheat my form. On the back excercises i'm pulling 40's except for lawnmowers I use 65 currently and elbow out lawnmowers I use 50's.

The first time I did back and biceps with 40's all the way my arms where on fire! But like Tony said "It's almost impossible to avoid the burn, but the burn is there for a reason"

"Blasting two body parts in one workout......MAGIC!" lmao

Back