The Weight Loss Thread

December 2010,191 was your weight your now to 188 in may of 2011, It seems the older we get the harder it is to shed those lbs. Are you sneaking in junk food... what's going on here ??

Nah, I had tried this one crash diet in Dec' of last year and after like a month and a half I quit. I had been cheating too. I still wanted to lose weight of course. I decided to just do it the old fashion way and not do any of those crash diets anymore.

Last month, early April, I weighed 198lbs and I started on a diet and exercise plan that had me at the goal of losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. I last weighed myself Sunday, May 15th (3 days ago,) I was 188lbs. So I've lost 10lbs in roughly a month's time. I realized that this was faster than I thought it'd be and, in all actuality, easier. My ultimate goal is 150lbs. That means I have almost 40 pounds of fat to lose. Hopefully by June 22nd, I'd like to be close to 178lbs.

Hey Arrogent, keep me updated on the routine you are using with its results. If it's not goin towards your direction I have some things I could possibly share a routine with you to help you reach your goals.

Man, I had typed this detailed reply and then the comp' screwed up on me. I am so pissed right now... Anyway! Yeah... what I had said essentially was I planned on doing strength training once I got down in weight but I'm still a bit confused about what works best, especially for me. What I would like is a proven and set workout plan for muscle building. I know of the main exercises for beginners and that should be were I start, but I would say I'm super novice. Like I said, as long as it's "what works best for me." Kind of like this diet for example.

It's a plan that has worked for many and it's working for me and I know I will keep going. I avoided it and now I know that was dumb. I plan on looking at that scooby website more before the time comes. I need a plan first... That's how I got on this diet. I did a lot of reading. Any help is good, Shogun.

I would love to be cut and thin and look something like this dude on the right:
1gZLrve55wbm7j36PV4w9quVgl1765-2.jpg

Though I would be happy just being thin.

BTW, my current exercise routine consists of strictly cardio 7 days a week for an hour plus at present, Shogun. I did another 5 miles in an hour last night. Gotta do it again tonight. It's an everyday thing.

Alright... Because of this last conversation, I started doing a lot of reading. I got up early this morning, as always, and started work. In my breaks I did some reading on the computer. I was looking for a good workout plan. I think I may have found one. Now, I know I don't have the money for a long-term contract with a gym, nor do I have time to go. I could make the time, sure, but it's not a high priority. I've decided that working out at home's best for me.

I found this one exercise routine. It's Bodyweight training (no weights). There's one or two of these I can't do, not only because I don't have the equipment but I just can't. (LOL) So I found exercises that work the same group of muscle, but these exercises do use weights. I have dumbbells, a bench, and weights, so I'm good.

Now I had to look up info on 'how often I should work out?' and, no surprise, cardio can be done every day with no scare of overtraining, but the caution was that on days I wanted to do resistance or muscle training, to do less of the cardio so as to avoid fatigue. It's suggested that strength training be done a minimum of 3 days a week. Okay, so as it breaks down, once I've gotten down, say 160lbs, I'll keep my hour plus of cardio except for the 3 days where I do bodyweight training, where I'll limit the cardio to conserve.

I'm still over thinking it a bit but just having something of an idea is good for now.

You can always do both eg cardio early in the morning and lifting in the evening, 30min each. It's best to incorporate strength training because, as far as I know, it burns more calories than cardio in the long run (over the day) not to mention it has other benefits. Also it prevents muscle loss when losing weight where cardio can have the opposite effect.

Nah, I had tried this one crash diet in Dec' of last year and after like a month and a half I quit. I had been cheating too. I still wanted to lose weight of course. I decided to just do it the old fashion way and not do any of those crash diets anymore.

Last month, early April, I weighed 198lbs and I started on a diet and exercise plan that had me at the goal of losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. I last weighed myself Sunday, May 15th (3 days ago,) I was 188lbs. So I've lost 10lbs in roughly a month's time. I realized that this was faster than I thought it'd be and, in all actuality, easier. My ultimate goal is 150lbs. That means I have almost 40 pounds of fat to lose. Hopefully by June 22nd, I'd like to be close to 178lbs.

Wow you have a big task in front of you it can be done though. I try to keep my weight at 160lbs but it drops from time to time because i only eat once a day. I'll eat around 10 am and that will be my meal for the whole day. Being a nightowl contributes to this.

I'm thinkin' of tryin' some HIIT after seeing Turbo Fire last night. You can do two days of HIIT only if doin somethin like Insanity.

Imo I wouldn't recommend running 7 days a week as it can prone you to injury and after awhile your body can reach an muscle exhaustion effect and you won't look near as good as you should. You ever see those semi skinny guys hat run for an hour a day but looks like their getting no results? That's the reason why. It's recommended to do resistance training into cardio for best results due to what Ring just said (burns more calories over time and gives you nice results).

If you do run for the 7 days a week and keep to this routine, hit me up a month later and tell me how it's been goin for you. If you start to pleateau I can start thownin some more info your way.

The reason why I haven't said too much yet is for the fact that I want to see if these routines will actually work for you and if what I've been doin will get you better results. I'll still throw my two cents in but if you start to pleateau let me know and i'll work with you to get you in the best shape of your life!

7 days of cardio?

Fuck that! 3 days of HIIT. You get much more done in less time.
How factual is that? I mean I run/jog 5 miles just about every day... in an hour. I mean I am a sweaty wreck afterward. Per day I must burn at least 350 calories in exercise adding to my BMR. My running 5 miles should be about 500+ calories. If HIIT can do that is less time, I'll look into it.

I'm thinkin' of tryin' some HIIT after seeing Turbo Fire last night. You can do two days of HIIT only if doin somethin like Insanity.

Imo I wouldn't recommend running 7 days a week as it can prone you to injury and after awhile your body can reach an muscle exhaustion effect and you won't look near as good as you should. You ever see those semi skinny guys hat run for an hour a day but looks like their getting no results? That's the reason why. It's recommended to do resistance training into cardio for best results due to what Ring just said (burns more calories over time and gives you nice results).

If you do run for the 7 days a week and keep to this routine, hit me up a month later and tell me how it's been goin for you. If you start to pleateau I can start thownin some more info your way.

The reason why I haven't said too much yet is for the fact that I want to see if these routines will actually work for you and if what I've been doin will get you better results. I'll still throw my two cents in but if you start to pleateau let me know and i'll work with you to get you in the best shape of your life!
Its really about intensity... Take walking. Walking is a great exercise, but depending on your personal height and weight, what an individual burns will be different. Even for your own self!

I'll give this example. The fact is the more weight one puts on, the higher their metabolism is. The "my metabolism slowed down as I got older" thing is a myth. Unless you have glandular or thyroid problem, it's impossible. When I was 198lbs walking just 3 miles a day, which only takes an hour at a moderate pace (or 1 mile in 20 minutes), burns at my height (5'8)... 449 calories. The same exercise at say 150lbs averages out to about 320 calories. Some people 'plateau' because they do the same exercise when after a while the body actually needs for them to work harder to yield the similar results.

At present I burn more because of my weight. As my weight decreases the length and intensity will have to increase. That's why after I weigh myself once a week I calculate that into how much I must exercise. From what I have read, while lifting builds muscles and you certainly burn calories it's not as much caloric burning as doing cardio. Yes, I know that's not the popular saying, but do some reading. I read maybe 5 reports/articles on it. Here's a link to one of the ones I bookmarked. For now, my focus is burning calories in stored fat. I will then do muscle building but I have heard of HIIT yields quick muscle building results. More reading... *sigh*

You can't calculate how much you burn with HIIT can you?

Nevermind... That site said this: "Imagine being able to lose more fat by doing less exercise? A lot more fat and a lot less exercise. Interval training is the best method for losing fat. Its secret to success is not in how many calories you burn during the routines but rather on how many you burn after the exercise and where these calories come from."

The Turbo Fire thing is all part of program with nutrition guide and all that... Man, I don't wanna do all that--buy stuff and what not. I hate having parts of something. Its all or nothing. If I do only one bit of something, yeah, it can be useful but I feel like it's not going to function at its best as it's part of another whole. Bah...

HIIT is fine, but I don't wanna use something of something established if anyone gets what I'm saying...

Back