this yun or SC3 yun?

better Yun

• SC4 Yun

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • SC3 Yun

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Better is a subjective term so what's better depends on what you like. But by request I'm gonna respond to this thread without voting. I don't care for these kinds of comparisons. Too many people get away with talking out of their butts. I have hard facts for you all to consider.

SC3: - 1KK, 1K2K. What point is there in a low-high mixup?
SC4: + 1KK, 1K2K, 1KKG ~ CR. Now there's a point to the 1K series.

SC3: + 3K. Safe launcher that gave guaranteed 59 damage. WS K gave guaranteed 58 damage.
SC4: 3K_[K]. -15 move that frame traps on hit with the pretty much everything in CR. A bit worse on paper but has it's use.

SC3: + A+B MSH B was MMM.
SC4: - Now it's MMH.

SC3: + 6A+B was a NC for 41 damage.
SC4: - 6A+B is NCC.

SC3: 3B+K TC vertical aGI that I used a lot to force whiffs more than for the aGI.
SC4: CR pretty much handles what 3B+K did but for more damage.

SC3: 11_77K. Mmm I felt so spoiled having this move. I enjoyed when I ROed with it too.
SC4: This move is now pretty much CR A+K. Stancebound but still a great move.

SC3: 44B. Cancels are always nice but X's is gone too. KND on hit.
SC4: 44B. Its hitbox is modfied to where you can catch all tech with it into the SHK. I don't mind the cancel being gone then.

SC3: Land Walk (LW), AW (Air Walk), and CS (Crane Swoop). Useful to force a little[i/] hesitation and get yourself out of trouble but other than that not too useful. A/LW had "Lightining Kicks" the LHH with a JF stun.

SC4: A good number of shakeable stuns to force mindgames that would make cous proud.

SC3: - CR had no mixups. It was pretty much useless. No reason to duck at all.
SC4: + Absolutely no comparison. This CR is the best CR yet. Less moves but they all have a purpose.

SC3: WS AB. Sidesteppable GB that gave good damage on hit. w/ 2B+K it was 60. 66A+B tech catch (all but right) was 76-81 damage.
SC4: WS AKK. No complaints about this one really. You have the transition to CR and the option of not finishing the string. Good mindgames.

SC3: - CS KK 9KKB could be ACed.
SC4: + 236KK 8KKK can only be JUKE.

3 <-> 4: 9KKB had a TJ. 8KKK has a TC. Just pointing out that difference.

Overall Yun is slower, much more unsafe, and does less damage off basic moves but this is moot since this is true of pretty much all the characters i.e. system changes. He benefits really well with the new system, most notably the SG. He has a good number of CF fishers so don't be afraid to abuse them.

I know it's old, but I still have to address this: If your opponent can consistently juke out of 236KK, then you still have options.... use a mixup (11A should work), or just another SG move. Exploiting their reactions for your own gain is key to high level play.

yea, but can you juke out of ivy's combos consistently or mitsus 2KB? because of the hits in his 236KK it seems easy to juke then most other combos or moves.

Yes, you can juke out of Mitsu's 2KB just as well as 236KK. I dunno about any of Ivy's combos, but if you feel it'll help then you can research for yourself.

I definitely agree with mikosu on the point where it definitely depends on what you like as far which Yun is easier, funner to play. And the fact that is hard argument to say which one is better because the systems of the two games are too different. But Mikosu did give the hard facts to back up is answer but I think the question is far to vague to give a definitive answer.

But to go along with Mikosu I think the LW and CS in sc3 gave us the illusion that Yun had alot more options than he did. When in order to be successful with Yun all that flash went out the window. SC4 Yun is a more technical character where IMO you have to use simple moves to set up his tricky yet unsafe stuff. A much more rewarding experience IMO.

Granted I do miss a few things from Sc3 and even Sc2. But thats always gona happen. The fact is that this iteration of Yun is a more viable character than his past two iterations.
-- Master KaijinJin --

Am liking the post on SC 2 Yun

I went back recently and looked at Yun move lists and if they were gonna add/improve yun take the moves from that game cause they alot of good ones that were taken away. That goes for all characters

His grab was cooler.

Am gonna vote for Sc 3 Yun cause nothing made me feel like the coolest dude in the world as when i wipe my opponents out with a :9::K::K::B: or using crane and moving into crane swoop or landwalk and confusing the fuck out my opponents.

Am liking the post on SC 2 Yun

I went back recently and looked at Yun move lists and if they were gonna add/improve yun take the moves from that game cause they alot of good ones that were taken away. That goes for all characters

His grab was cooler.

Am gonna vote for Sc 3 Yun cause nothing made me feel like the coolest dude in the world as when i wipe my opponents out with a :9::K::K::B: or using crane and moving into crane swoop or landwalk and confusing the fuck out my opponents.

I agree with SC2 Yun. His SC game was good back then, loves for his GCs. I definitely miss his 33 and K6. As for SC3 goes, I like his 3K and good ol' 11K WS K combo (but for AE edition, I like his CR game there.) SC4, I definitely love going to CR this time but having no SC3 3K or no SC2 3B and 4A isnt as magical as it was in 2, it's a downer. But I have to give props for SC4 Yun. He's still my character.

Overall, I find SC3 Yun better...(but SC2 one is still the best)

Sc3 Yun was the shit - I really hate what they did to him in Sc4 - They fuck his stance up - in Sc3 he wasnt stationary, he could hop around on one foot and had a lot more moves in that stance.

Shit he was so cool in 3

SC3 Yun without the shadow of a doubt.

Both 33AK~2B+K_66A+B and 33[ B ]~CR B+KKB were extremely powerful whiffpunishers. Hunting Hawk was only ACable on NTSC-US. 3K was an i16 launcher that tracked both sides perfectly from frame advantages of +3 or more while being perfectly safe. Speaking of frames, his pokes actually gave +frames back then. 44B was loads better, I cant count how many times Ive wall-splatted and rung people out with it. 2B+K was extremely safe and set up a lot of shit on block and hit, the same goes for 9B+K (old 9B). 3A, while moderately unsafe, gave a lot of reward for catching steppers or ching people at midrange. 44A was a safe alternative (unlike now). 11K as already mentioned was a great low and it was definitely better having it available outside stance. He had the best step of all male characters and one of the most powerful tech-trap games. And just for good measure his high dmg options gave him a better post-GI game, too.
SC4's Yun has a better (not yet well-) designed stance system imho, Ill give him that. SC3 Yun beats him at everything else. I dont count his CF game as an advantage, because SC3 didnt have that system.

The answer is simple: SCIII or - even better - SCII Yun! Why? Just take a look (nothing new but still fun I think)...

There's nothing that can be done about SCIV Yun though. He's like the most predictable character you'll ever play against. Doesn't have a lot of options to choose from either when against smart players. He was kinda Mid Tier in SCIII but he downgraded in IV.

Back