Top 10 Moves

Uber1337

[10] Knight
With Maxi's huge move set, it can be hard to pick which moves to use. I thought it would be good to start a thread to talk about which moves you guys think are his best. I'll start with mine, ranked from 1 to 10.

1a) 4B ~ LO
This move is absolute money. Good for closing in on the opponent. Follow up LO B tracks surprisingly well. On hit, LO B is guaranteed and the opponent is forced to block the follow up K ( LO BK), which leaves maxi at +2 frame advantage (2A is uninterruptable after). On block, Maxi is at +7, leaving some room to loop after the opponent has been trained to fear 4BBK. Some notable mix-ups off 4B are PSL1 -> BL KK / BL A, PSL3 -> RO A, and PSL2 -> LI B / LI K. *note: The K in 4BBK can be ducked if the second B is blocked, so don't just throw the whole combo out recklessly. You can actually hit confirm that the first B hits.

1b) 2A
This is Maxi's main poke. In past games, Maxi had a good A and AA, but in this game its total garbage. 2A is just as fast as his A (i14), but it also hits duckers, Tech Crouches, and offers good frame advantage. On hit, Maxi is at +5, so you can go for a pretty safe throw attempt. This move is great for both keeping the pressure on your opponent and interupting your opponents attacks.

3) 3B ~ RO
This move is pretty much the replacement for Maxis B in past games. On Block, RO A is uninteruptible (by non TC moves). On hit, RO A is guaranteed. On CH, opponent is launched and RO B -> RC K are guarenteed (though i usually skip the RC K and instead either RC B or loop for pressure). This move is pretty good for wake up games. If you catch them teching, they will be launched, if they stand and block it, you get RO mix-ups. Does pretty good soul gauge damage.

4) RO A ~ BL / RO AK_[K]
A Maxi staple since SC 1. The move sidesteps to the right and at i13, this is one of Maxi's fastest moves. On hit or block, you can mix-up RO AK_[K], RO A -> BL KK / B, and RO A ->*5 -> Neutral stance attacks. On hit, you are at +13, so it wouldn't be so bad to loop here either. *note: RO is a high attack, so if you get too predictable, opponents will start ducking this or 2Aing you. You can discourage punishment by throwing out a RO K which will jump over low attacks and cause some pretty nice damage with followups on hit.

5) 33_99 bA ~ RC
A little slow, but if you can get this move out, it is very nice. On hit, the opponent is knocked down, which is great and all, but your really want your opponent to block. On block, Maxi is at +5 going into RC. From there, RC A will interrupt almost all but the fastest attacks. Most of these attacks that will interrupt RC A off of blocked 33_99 bA will be tech crouched by RC KK:K. I've found that a good place to throw this out is on wake ups after I hit BL KK. The range on this move is deceptively long.

6) 44AB ~ RO
Like 4B, this is another good move for closing in on the opponent. On hit, Maxi is at +8 going into RO, allowing for either RO mixups or loop opportunities. On block, Maxi is at -1, but the opponent is forced into crouch, so maxi can still push with some RO mixups.

7) BL KK
One of Maxi's few good lows. If the first kick hits, the second kick is guaranteed for some pretty decent damage. Careful about becoming to predictable with this, as this move is pretty punishable if blocked. Try mixing up with BL A to keep the opponent guessing. Notable lead-ins to this move are RO A ~ BL and 4B->PSL1 ~ BL.

8) Throws
Maxi has very few good lows, so i've found that mixing up some throws is a good way to get the opponent to think about ducking. As mentioned earlier, a great place to attempt a throw is off of 2A on hit. If your feeling brave, you can also try throwing out of your loops. If you train your opponents enough to fear moves like 4B->PSL1 and RO A, i've found that you can slip in some throws there. Try RO A -> wait for stance to end, throw; or 4B -> PSL1 -> *5, wait for stance to end, throw.
*note: don't try this off of moves ending in either LO or LI, as you must go through an extra stance shift before you enter your neutral stance.

9) 66A
Safe on block (*edit* though second hit can be ducked if first blocked), NC on hit. This can be good to slip in there when you think you can interrupt someone from afar. Also pretty good for wake ups. Can ring out. Not really much more to this move, just good to throw out there sometimes.

10) 6A ~ RO
Maxi's quickest way to close in on the opponent. Has very good range and speed (i15). On CH, RO A is guaranteed. On hit, Maxi is at +4 advantage going into RO. On block, Maxi is at disadvantage, so try not to throw this out unless you really think its gonna hit.

Other Note worthy moves:

aK ~ LO
This move i don't use much personally, but I probably should. Offers good frame advantage on hit and block, and forces the opponent into crouch. Not sure about how well this move tracks, but I believe its pretty good.

6A+B
Maxi's punisher. Has tech crouch frames and good range. Good if you wanna just damage your opponent after a whiff, however i usually find it is better to just go for a 4BBK instead. Both moves are the same speed. 4BBK does less damage to the opponent, but it ends with frame advantage allowing you to keep the pressure on.

Well, thats my list. Keep in mind that you can't just do these moves and expect to be successful. Maxi is a very mix-up based character and if you become predictable, you will lose.

i really like this list it offered a couple of vairations on moves i use and as you know variaty is maxi's key to victory.

of late i have found this to be quite useful it seems to catch people out

6AA (loop to RC)(most people expect a third atack straight off there instead of the shift) K (use the crouch from the single k) 1A B

ill write that with out the junk in there too for ease

6A,A ~ RC K,1A,B

i normally folow up with an A or B depending on how my openent has been reacting

also the duck from RC K is useful for a 3A,A,A and catches a few people too.

66A is punishable on block, the second hit is high and can be ducked if the first hit is blocked. It's good for what it does (mid NC that knocks down, kills step) but I don't think it's a top 10 move. More to come later.

Uber1337, very nice post, very informative.
I learned some things which made me discover additional strings and combos.

I haven't had much experience with Maxi so far.

With that said, it seems that a Maxi who isn't a button masher fights somewhat slowly. 3 attacks at medium speed, pause.

6A seems to be a nice string starter to speed things up and start pressure with a higher, unexpected speed for string execution. It seems to give good options for quick, low recovery attacks.

In theory, it might not be a wise choice to make for whatever reason, unsafe, etc.
But in reality, where the opponent can't read everything, he might eat a counter hit or two because of the unusual speed, or he might feel forced to block for a long time.

Seems like a good thing to do once in a while to be unexpectable.

6A is in the top 10 for me, now I just need to find 9 more attacks to fill it. >.>

I'd like to mention for everyone concerned that just about all of Maxi's frame data (except for impact frames) in the 8wr.com Wiki is incorrect.

Most of Maxi's moves lead into stance and EVERY move that does has incorrect guard and hit frames. They were based off of how fast you can input a stance attack and NOT how fast you can block.

A,A for example, is not -4 on block. It's closer to -14.

As for the top 10 list above, I'd agree with most of it. All of those moves should probably be in a good Maxi strat.

Some of the info is a bit off though. The frame data is off for some things (for reasons mentioned above) and there arre several moves that, while safe on block, can also be ducked making them not really safe at all.

With 66A, in particular, you can duck the second hit if you block the first.

I think the frame data makes perfect sense. Its based off of how long it takes to recover from using an attack. In Maxi's case, some of his attacks recover into stances, which is what the data is saying. Why would you want it to be based off of how long it takes to block? I can tell you already, that all moves that enter stances have block recovery frames ranging from bad to atrocious. All you really need to know is which moves are safe to cancel out of really. I guess i could add that info to my list.

Ok then, Maxi's data just needs to be done a little differently.

Basically, it has to take into account that A,A~RC and A,A~G need two different sets of data.

The REASON that the block data should be there is because it's there for EVERY other character in the game. People look at Maxi's data and assume he's safe because the frames INFER that he is. At the very least there needs to be an asterix or a note to tell people that Maxi is pretty much never safe.

3K can be really annoying.

I agree. The more I throw in 3K and K as my main pokes, the more success I have with Maxi.

I just have to remember to stay away from A,A and B,B like the plague and suddenly, as if by magic, I don't lose as much!

When would using 3k be better than using 2A? I could see it being better against kilik because of his asura bs, but otherwise, 2A just seems like a better option most of the time. I guess 2A puts you in crouch, but most of Maxi's good moves will come out of crouch. Only thing you really lose is 3B(try 4B PSL3 RO instead for RO options) and aK, but you gain better frame advantage, TC property, and 2A is one frame faster. Sure 3K hits duckers, but out of normal stance, Maxi doesn't really have any threatening lows, so if the opponent is smart, he won't duck much. I dunno, maybe i'm missing something.

As far as 3K goes...

There's more than one TJ in the game. (Not only useful vs Kilik) 3K helps keep those yahoo's honest. 3K seems like it has slightly better range than 2A. (Could be equal, but it preys on the opponent's perception) Tends to be more useful in 2A in situations where the opponent ducks. Since Maxi doesn't do much before the 3K it's harder to react to. Also, he's still standing so answering mids aren't as dangerous.

It doesn't replace 2A. It's a strong supplement.

Yeah, there may be more TJ moves than kiliks asura, but the problem with asura is that it GIs mid/high verts/horizontals. This makes 3K a good choice. Against anyone else, i would usually use 4B if i thought they were gonna duck or try a TJ move. I guess 3K is 2 frames faster than 4B, but TJ moves are usually slow, so this doesn't seem like a problem. Its not that 3K is a bad move, its got nice properties. I just usually find theres a better option.

Well, 2A and 3K are pokes and they're some of Maxi's best. They're both safe and fast, as well.

2A has it's risks as it can be TJed so as Marginal said, 3K makes up for that weakness at the cost of a frame. Both of these moves are decent against step as well. That said, I DO use 2A a lot more than 3K, but it does pay to have that second option there for when the time calls for it.

4B isn't really a substitute for either of these moves, though. It's unsafe and very step-able. It has it's uses, yes, but I wouldn't really use it as a poke move in the same way I'd use 2A or 3K.

Yeah, there may be more TJ moves than kiliks asura, but the problem with asura is that it GIs mid/high verts/horizontals. This makes 3K a good choice. Against anyone else, i would usually use 4B if i thought they were gonna duck or try a TJ move. I guess 3K is 2 frames faster than 4B, but TJ moves are usually slow, so this doesn't seem like a problem. Its not that 3K is a bad move, its got nice properties. I just usually find theres a better option.

3K is his fastest mid and therefore irreplacable.

ive been using this new (new to me at least) loop that has been raping people
(i think i got this right)

[4]A,B,Ka,A,B,K

OR

[4]A,B,KA,2A depending if part of the loop got blocked or not.

i can then loop it into anything i want. if i land all those hits, ill get 50% damage and still be a frame ahead, i can either start that loop over again or go into something else. anyone got anything i can add to that?

i prefer to 2A as well. i find it usefull when i play my buddy (mitsurugi). mits seems to have 2 or 3 slashes to most of his verticles. and that 2A gets me that poke in between them really well. stops mits almost everytime

Hmm if i have to choose top 10

4B
LI B and all variations of it
RO A
BL B
2A
4AB
B+K series
33A
44AB

honorable mentions
3B